Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
U
OP Offline
U
Dear Anyone.

I'm a wannabe New Age artist. I've got some lovely inexpensive sounds - but a bunch of great ones sound like they've been totally soaked in reverb even though I'm not using any. Some of them are in Kontakt Player, some in Irish Acts Infinity vst.

Now like I said above I've not put any effects on them. I've turned Release off in the DAW. I've kept the notes short (desperation tactics!) And they all sound like I've shoved a Grand Canyon reverb setting on them.

Thing IS, they're such lovely New Age sounds I REALLY want to use them. But I want to be the one controlling the reverb, not having their reverb controlling me! How do I take all the reverb off the sounds, leaving them bone dry and controllable, and then put back just the amount of reverb I want to? If the reverb is on the actual sound, how do I strip it off again?

Yours baffledly

ulrichburke

Veteran
Veteran
First I know nothing about your DAW or Kontakt or IAI. However if the sounds are bounced audio files, e.g., wav or MP3, and were bounced with reverb there is no way to remove it. For example if I apply reverb to a track in my DAW and then bounce or export it to an audio file then the reverb and any other effects are part and parcel of the track. Bringing it back into the DAW will not allow any changes to be made.

The VST and midi experts will know a LOT more than me.

Veteran
Veteran
Trying to get rid of existing reverb in audio is pretty impossible. That being said, if you are using Kontakt instruments, many of them have an effects page on the instrument interface where you can set the level of reverb (along with other settings), or turn them off completely. It's possible that is where your reverb is coming from; if so, you might be able to dial it back.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Have you ever attempted to separate the ingredients of a baked and finished cake back into the eggs, flour, sugar, vanilla, and oil? Removing reverb or any effect from a wave is just about that easy.

Not trying to be funny with that above, but once the effect is applied and printed to the wave file, that's the reality of it.

You said it was a "New Age" and that genre is noted for it's reverbed music and sounds.

I googled the Irish Acts Infinity synth and yep... the sounds are drenched in reverb. If they are sampled audio, it's very likely that they were sampled with the reverb and are therefore "wet" samples and are impossible to get a dry signal. I don't know what player you are trying to use... if it's Kontakt or something else... but have you checked in the DAW to be sure you don't have reverb applied and turned on? Some synths do have reverb in them. I believe TTS is one of those. Kontakt is not.

You didn't provide much in the way of explanation of the software you are using and details on the sounds and the players involved. So all of this is just a guess as to what's happening.

I have Kontakt as well as some of the other synths by NI.... and yes, many of the sounds are loaded with reverb. Especially the new age stuff and pads. Since you're trying to be an "aspiring new age artist" I would suggest embracing the reverb and going with it. In the meantime, use it, but if you really want control, search for some dry sounds and buy them when you find them.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/23/17 02:49 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Expert
Expert
Doesn't Kontakt have user adjustable reverb. As stated earlier, check to see if the synth itself has a reverb setting.
But, since you are new, I wonder if you are hearing a slap-back delay/loop-back produced by the latency of your computer and/or soundcard/interface. This is common for newbies to run into depending what you have connected to your computer. Also, if you are using a gamer type of audio/video card you might have ambience settings there turn on. If that's the case check your soundcard properties.

Post your system specs and what you have connected and how you have it routed.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tobias
Doesn't Kontakt have user adjustable reverb. As stated earlier, check to see if the synth itself has a reverb setting.
But, since you are new, I wonder if you are hearing a slap-back delay/loop-back produced by the latency of your computer and/or soundcard/interface. This is common for newbies to run into depending what you have connected to your computer. Also, if you are using a gamer type of audio/video card you might have ambience settings there turn on. If that's the case check your soundcard properties.

Post your system specs and what you have connected and how you have it routed.

I have K-4 and it does NOT have reverb in the control panel. Any reverb either has to come from the source sample itself or from a plugin in the DAW being used as the host. Many of the sounds in Kontakt as well as the other synths in the NI package are reverb heavy at the sample level.

Latency, is not going to cause a slap-back or looping echo/reverb sound. It causes a delay and also it can cause clicks, pops and dropouts, but I've never heard it cause reverb...... Normally, the music tends to be out of sync or delayed from the key press to the sound in the speakers.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/23/17 02:57 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

Veteran
Veteran
Herb, I have Kontakt 5.5 and there is a reverb in the instrument effect section. Click on the wrench in the upper left hand corner, instrument effects then add fx. IIRC this was also available in Kontakt 4. But I do not believe this is available on the free Kontakt Player but I don't know for sure.

On many patches there is a reverb control on the main patch page and/or in the effects page of that patch.

BUT if you are using Kontakt to play an audio sample and if that sample has reverb in it then no you can not remove the reverb.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Yep, there are controls within Kontakt itself, but often many instruments implement their own effects controls on the instrument page itself. Not saying the patches may not already wet with effects (as Herb mentioned), but sometimes you really have to look under the hood and you may find you have to look for the hood latch to even get there.

And I'm referencing Kontakt 5, by the way.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Herb, I have Kontakt 5.5 and there is a reverb in the instrument effect section. Click on the wrench in the upper left hand corner, instrument effects then add fx. IIRC this was also available in Kontakt 4. But I do not believe this is available on the free Kontakt Player but I don't know for sure.

Quote:
Yep, there are controls within Kontakt itself, but often many instruments implement their own effects controls on the instrument page itself. Not saying the patches may not already wet with effects (as Herb mentioned), but sometimes you really have to look under the hood and you may find you have to look for the hood latch to even get there.

Yep... for a minute there I had a hard time finding that wench in the corner..... oh... you said wrench.... my mistake....

Yeah... it's not that easy to find. It's not in the main synth GUI. You have to load a sample set, and then it becomes available in the sample GUI. You have to open a few things to get there but yep... there is reverb in those GUI's. You gotta dig to find it.

Honestly, I never knew it was there because if I needed verb I simply grabbed the reverb in the DAW and plugged it in. That said... the sample I used to look for the K4 reverb was Cello ensemble which was plenty wet to start with.

www.herbhartley.com

Veteran
Veteran
Herb, the only reason I knew that was because I like to work with dry tracks so I will always take out any reverb in VSTis that I can. That way I can use the same reverb for all instruments in my DAW. That is just my workflow and others may/will vary.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert

Latency, is not going to cause a slap-back or looping echo/reverb sound. It causes a delay and also it can cause clicks, pops and dropouts, but I've never heard it cause reverb...... Normally, the music tends to be out of sync or delayed from the key press to the sound in the speakers. [/quote]

Not trying to argue, but, depending on what you have connected to your computer and/or soundcard/interface you can accidentally get a slapback echo by hearing the live motoring and the processed sound at the same time. When I get this I usually go to my computers sound properties mixer panel and mute the culprit. Not knowing the experience level of the original poster I thought it might be possible for some to misconstrue echo for reverb. Just covering the basis. But, now that i review the post i see it's very unlikely that would be the case since it seems to all software synth oriented.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
To the op, help us understand when you say you want to be a New Age artist, what you mean by that.

Is there a particular artist or song for which you are wanting to mimic or use as a guide?

If you can point us there, I think we can help you get some synths and effects that will help to approach the timbre of those sounds.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,744
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191