Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
L
lambada Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
L
Hi All

I did a couple of Streetjelly concerts over the weekend and I'm increasingly unhappy with my guitar in the mix. For my blues material, I've improved the guitar sound with a slightly overdriven, reverbed and compressed sound for the solos and the same with less overdrive for the rhythm. I'm blessed to have a TC Electronic Nova as my guitar effects which sure helps. I'm not happy with my guitar sound for Jazz / Country / Folk material. Particularly the solo sounds and more acoustic type rhythm. Any suggestions? I'm thinking more reverb, maybe a bit of chorus - not sure about compression, how much or whether I even want it at all! I'm only using an electric (Fender Tele) and generally I use the middle or front pickup (except for blues). Ironically, as I thin out my BIAB backing tracks, I'm playing around with finger picking or combo pick and fingers. I'm also feeling less and less inclined to play rhythm guitar at all, although it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable - fake. grin How does one compete with the likes of the pro players in BIAB? I'm panning the BIAB tracks and using BIAB itself live. Any thoughts/suggestions? All my effects switch automatically using midi, so have complex patch changes etc is not a big deal.

Last edited by lambada; 03/26/17 04:49 PM.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Expert
Expert
What guitar amp are you using?
If you are running the Nova with overdrive and distortion in the FX loop of an amp you'll get pretty bad overdrive tones. It can pretty much ruin your whole tone. Same goes for overdrive in front of a PA with no amp or cabinet simulation.
The Nova, as I understand is intended for the front of an amp. But, it probably sounds fantastic direct to PA or in an amps FX loop as long as you stay away from overdrive, distortion and keep any compression settings to a minimum.
To me the best tone is still a mic in front of speaker cabinet connected to a good tube amp. I've had some line 6 stuff that was really nice but seem to always go back to a tube amp no matter what. I have a Zoom G9.2tt and a POD X3 Live. Both have great tones and amp and cabinet simulators. But, they get used less than my ancient Boss ME-5 I've had since 1990. The ME-5 is all analog except for the delay, the patch programming and storage.

From what I understand the TC Nova's overdrive is analog (not digital) and should sound great in front of a good little tube amp.

Last edited by Tobias; 03/26/17 07:44 PM.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Expert
Expert
BTW, your Tele has a middle pick up? Is it that Nashville Tele set up? I'm jonesing causing I was recently checking out the G&L versions of the 3 pick up Nashville Tele. Works like a Tele and/or a Strat and you can get Neck and Bridge together or all 3 pick ups at once too.

Some country stuff is going to require a good amount of compression at the front end of the amp. I add a slight amount of reverb and delay that stays on kind of quietly almost all the time. I got that idea from watching Joe Banomasa on YouTube. Seems to give it a little air and ambience.

Folk is probably very clean, maybe a little thin, not much mid-range, bass not to heavy, and kind of jangly but not too bright or shrill. Or, else aim for an acoustic guitar type sound.
I don't play jazz but too me a lot of it sounds like a bright single coil neck pick up with the tone knob turned down a bit. Not muddy but kind of dull and dry. So, you might find the jazz tones in the right pick up selection and the tone knobs on the guitar itself.

L
lambada Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
L
Hi

I don't play live that often these days, but if I do I take my little MXR Overdrive and VOX Wah Wah and play through an amp provided by the club. If I'm doing a one man show I take my own PA. When I have played live with the Nova, I'd normally play through an amp although it has quite good speaker simulation for streaming purposes. The delays and reverb are wonderful. It is a beautiful piece of machinery and I mainly use it DI'd straight (left and right) into 2 mixer channels on the mixer and out of the mixer into an audio interface for streaming. I have few complaints with it's actual sounds, but more with getting it to sound right and sit nicely in the mix of the backing tracks when streaming live, particularly when doing rhythm guitar work. I might record some examples and get some feedback from you guys. I think it's probably lack of experience with setting up multi-effects (compression, tap delay detune etc) and also using it with BIAB realtracks that is the problem.

Edit: I just saw your second post, and that's exactly the kind of suggestions I'm looking for. grin

Last edited by lambada; 03/26/17 10:40 PM.

BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Veteran
Veteran
I don't know anything about the components in your rig.

My first question would be is the guitar modeler capable of storing multiple presets? If so... set up and store one sound for each of the tone settings you need.

Second point.... in country, you don't hear hardly an chorus on anything. Keep compression light and reverb too. Country spans the gamut from super clean tele...thing Buck Owens to completely overdriven guitars in today's music. You have everything in between. Very few are using FX other then distortion pedals to augment their tone and some reverb to smooth the edges. That's literally all I ever use. A bit of verb and a very smooth subtle distortion tone pedal on my Fender Modern Tele. (3 PU's..MIC)

Jazz is very similar regarding guitar tone. Clean is the word of the day with some rolled off high end, cut in the low and accentuated mildly in the mids.

I have used a modeling amp in the past that was capable of storing presets. That made switching between tone settings fast and easy. I was playing in a church band and we would jump styles between songs. Twisting knobs to get there wasn't much of an option. Pushing a button of the foot switch was so much faster, and everything was dialed in perfectly. Since you are using midi to switch settings,...... waaa laaa, there you go. Use it to change your tone settings. Using technology is good when you're doing what you're doing. So eliminate the pedals that aren't midi controlled from your rig unless it's a mild general overall compression.

Folk.... I don't think you're using much electric in that. Getting a good, authentic acoustic sound isn't easy...especially if you're in a hurry and doing it all yourself. The best option, is to have a condenser mic set up and adjusted and turned down. All you need to do is grab the mic, move it into place and turn it up to the right volume.

How do you compete with the pro players in BB real tracks? You don't. You fit in with them. The more you practice your parts for smoothness and tone, the better you fit in. You don't need to be fancy to fit in with good players. Would I walk on stage with killer country pickers the likes of Vince Gill or Brad Paisley? Absolutely. Would I try to be fancy and outplay them..... oh heck no. I would play how I play, with confidence, and have the time of my life and play things in my style, with finesse, heart, and have fun doing it.

Remember that much of the tone you get from the cleaner electric sounds and especially the acoustic come as much, if not more, from the hands and fingers, than it does from the guitar and your mic setup.

It never ceases to amaze me that all these players I see have to have a ton of effects pedals to get the tone they want. When I bought my Mesa Boogie Studio 22w amp, it came with an interesting one page tone chart. By setting the controls of that one amp in different positions, you can dial in any tone from super clean glass shattering country Tele, to rolled off jazz, to smokey blues, to crunchy rock, to speaker ripping rock and roll to death metal shredding..... all from one amp with no pedals involved. They had about a dozen "preset" sound styles on that cheat sheet.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
L
lambada Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
L
Thanks Herb, also very useful. Mesa Boogie very nice. I agree with you re the midi and no footswitches. When streaming I only use the Nova via my Voicelive 2 - all controlled by midi. With a live band, generally just the overdrive pedal these days. I bought a volume pedal,but I haven't integrated that yet for live - that's pretty sad actually... The Nova has options to save up to 4 favourite settings for each effect, but I've tended just to create a patch and turn it off and on using midi. With the VoiceLive 2 I also turn on and off aspects of each patch with cc# commands. I'm not sure if the Nova's midi controls are that flexible. I'll check it out.

Thanks for the heads up re Country. For the folk, maybe I need to just use my acoustic. I have a pair of condenser mics that I could use to get ambiance or just use the vocal condenser mic. Food for thought.

Increasingly, I'm finding less is more with BIAB. Just last night I was switching to less busy RealDrum tracks and dropping Realtracks just to give everything a bit more space. The panning advice given here has been really helpful and mixing the levels of the tracks by gradually adding a track at a time to the drums with the drums as the reference 90. I'm finding there is something magical about the free Izotope Neutrino effect that makes everything jump out, sizzle and sound punchy. I couldn't hear it at first but now, I just kind of feel its presence on the individual BIAB tracks. Very weird. Some of the Realtracks /Realtrack combinations are way louder than others so I'm altering the overall volumes of those songs or moving them around in the set list to sort that. It can be quite disconcerting live!

Sorry if I'm rambling.

Last edited by lambada; 03/27/17 03:25 PM.

BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Veteran
Veteran
For your folk guitar (yes use your acoustic!), you could likely use anything like an SM-57 or 58 near your fingers/pick and another mic a little further away and up the frets (maybe condenser but maybe not) .. experiment!
Getting a good acoustic guitar sound can be a challenge, but also lots of fun.

Maybe even put the condenser in front of the hole and an SM-57 way back on the frets .. depends on the guitar, the room, the player, the mix .. with a little effort you can usually find the sweet spot pretty quickly.

My initial effort is usually to get a good full sound from the track(s) in the first place and shape it later.
It's easier to remove sound than add what was never there.

My greatest struggles have always been with 12 strings; it is so complicated to get the right timbre/ringing/harmonics in the recording .. but I still have fun doing it.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Expert
Expert
I'd like to hear your examples when you get around to it.
I agree with GuitarHacker about using fewer pedals. I mostly use a clean channel and a slightly dirty/raspy channel along with the delay/reverb on my amp. I have a Fender SuperChamp and a Fender Princeton Chorus that both have a Delay/Reverb combo setting that stays on quite most of the time.
I use different pick up combinations, the volume and tone knobs on the guitar and switch between clean and raspy channel for pretty much all the tone I need for country and classic rock including soloes.
My multi FX pedal boards sit unused almost all the time. That is unless I get called to just play lead guitar which isn't too often anymore.
Actually the Fender Princeton Chorus is not mine. No body knows who owns it. It was left behind in the storage room at a church for about 4 years. My friend borrowed it about 2 years after that and then loaned it to me. But, I don't mind being steward of it until the owner wants it back. Although it's solid state I have zero complaints about it's tone. I'd swear it was "almost" a tube amp if I didn't know better.

L
lambada Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
L
I've had a bit of a fiddle with these 2 patches and increased the reverb and reduced the compression on the Rhythm patch. There would be more patches if I hadn't got side tracked in BIAB. I found I can't use the audio record in BIAB because of the delay between the mixer and the USB 3 audio output. There's a noticeable lag and nothing I altered in BIAB seemed to fix it. I think it improved when recording with ASIO rather than the default MME setting. So this is another new default. No idea how to fix it. I had the same problem when trying to create UserTracks in BIAB. Maybe I play out of time, but I don't think so. Frustrating.

Anyway, that's the reason there's a video rather than an audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9aP7-qFw7I

Thanks.

BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Expert
Expert
The guitar is not very loud in the mix but the tone is good from what I can hear.
Do you have a way to live monitor your playing while recording?
You know, listen to your pedals and amp rather than the sound going through the computer and back out while. Or, would that sort of defeat the whole Streetjelly set up requirements? I've never done Streetjelly.
I don't know if the Zoom UAC-2 allows this but most recording interfaces have a mix/blend knob that lets you blend in your live sound (pre-tracking) along with the computers playback into the headphones.
Once your done tracking the DAW or BIAB lines up the new track with the others for play back and rendering.
I've also used a Y cable or any stereo FX pedal like a Boss Chorus pedal. One side goes to the interface and the other to an amp. Tilt the headphones off one ear.

L
lambada Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
L
Yes, in retrospect, the lead (in particular) is too quiet. I have a tendency to play lead too quiet live as well. The boys are always turning me up. On Streetjelly, I monitor everything through headphones as I usually sing through a condenser mic and I don't want the sound of the guitar to bleed in on the vocals or upset my wife too much. Maybe, I should move in that direction as I think I tend to hold back on the singing as well with headphones on. I guess it can't be any worse than just my voice singing on its own. I've got monitors in the room so I could use an amp with them. Very cramped in Hong Kong and neighbours everywhere, above, below, close outside etc. Food for thought.

BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,580
Posts734,679
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200