Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#405473 - 04/05/17 11:05 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] REQ: Adjusting velocities of individual midi tracks
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Loc: Iceland
Premise: Let's face it, with the built-in synth, the effect of velocity nuances in terms of the articulation of the sounds is pretty negligible (read:non-existent), but the story is quite different for high quality sfz sounds (and other plugin sounds alike).

Currently (on both platforms as far as I know), the "Normalize Velocities" function is set on a global scale, which I maintain is now very much an outdated way to go about it, This should be an accessible setting for each and every track individually - And that, in a nutshell, is my request.

Edited by Icelander (04/05/17 11:07 AM)
Edit Reason: Further details

#405483 - 04/05/17 12:35 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: REQ: Adjusting velocities of individual midi tracks [Re: Icelander]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Presumably this also means not editing velocities note-by-note in the MIDI editor?
If so, +1

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#405503 - 04/05/17 03:16 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: REQ: Adjusting velocities of individual midi tracks [Re: VideoTrack]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Presumably this also means not editing velocities note-by-note in the MIDI editor?
Well sure, although I must admit I was mainly thinking about midi tracks/instruments other than the Melody/Soloist tracks here.
But of course this should obviously apply to any and all of them.

#405524 - 04/05/17 05:24 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: REQ: Adjusting velocities of individual midi tracks [Re: Icelander]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

It could be done manually, but this is painstakingly slow, and painful.

I was looking for a "MIDI Compressor".

I thought it would be simple to have an algorithm that works similar to the way an Audio Compressor works. The algorithm has thresholds and applies intelligent dynamic adjustment to values based on the note velocity information.

Fellow forum member rockstar_not made this useful comment:
Go to platinumears.com and grab the velocity curve plugin. You can draw in a compression like input output curve with it. I had to do this because I didn't like the limited velocity curves in my Casio XW P1 when outputting to some piano VSTi.

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#405545 - 04/05/17 08:41 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: REQ: Adjusting velocities of individual midi tracks [Re: Icelander]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
I wouldn't be surprised if someone twenty-five years ago wrote a CAL script to do this in SONAR.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac Pro]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#405549 - 04/05/17 09:01 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: REQ: Adjusting velocities of individual midi tracks [Re: Matt Finley]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I wouldn't be surprised if someone twenty-five years ago wrote a CAL script to do this in SONAR.
Yes, I'm pretty sure you are right Matt. I think the O/P was interested to find out if this can be done in BiaB. I think a plug-in would be the only way.

#405578 - 04/06/17 04:39 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: REQ: Adjusting velocities of individual midi tracks [Re: VideoTrack]
John-Luke Offline
Expert

Loc: France
I have already asked for that in 2013.

see Velocity for each track .

It is a shame that has not been implemented, because it is a real need if you want to work seriously with MIDI.
Now, the request comes back, we are only requesting basic features for BIAB.

#405607 - 04/06/17 07:05 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: REQ: Adjusting velocities of individual midi tracks [Re: VideoTrack]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Yes, I'm pretty sure you are right Matt. I think the O/P was interested to find out if this can be done in BiaB. I think a plug-in would be the only way.
A thing like this can be done very easily in any half-decent DAW! I didn't just pluck this concept out of the blue for the helluvit, you know.

#405623 - 04/06/17 08:00 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: REQ: Adjusting velocities of individual midi tracks [Re: Icelander]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Icelander
A thing like this can be done very easily in any half-decent DAW! I didn't just pluck this concept out of the blue for the helluvit, you know.

Yes, but keep in mind that BiaB doesn't purport to be a DAW. What BiaB does is significantly different to the general functionality of a DAW. DAW's don't usually create entire songs in virtually any genre based on some user's input chords.

BiaB does.

Horses for courses.

And of course you can always take your MIDI into a DAW and adjust velocities there. To quote you "for the helluvit", maybe that's the best approach for you to take to resolve your issue. Good luck. Do let us know how you go.

#405627 - 04/06/17 08:31 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: REQ: Adjusting velocities of individual midi tracks [Re: Icelander]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
I would agree but there is one thing you may be missing. Raising and lowering the velocity on layered samples will change the timbre of that instrument. The more layers in the patch the more change there could be. A good multi-layered French horn is a good example as there is a big difference in sound between a high and low velocity.

What I do is to bounce the MIDI to a wav then normalize that wav. That way the tonal qualities will stay the same and just the volume with be changed. YMMV.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#405635 - 04/06/17 09:14 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: REQ: Adjusting velocities of individual midi tracks [Re: MarioD]
John-Luke Offline
Expert

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Raising and lowering the velocity on layered samples will change the timbre of that instrument. The more layers in the patch the more change there could be. A good multi-layered French horn is a good example as there is a big difference in sound between a high and low velocity.

That is also true for the clarinet, for example, which has four different registers.
Yes, the timbre will change, but that is that way real instruments sound.

#405723 - 04/06/17 02:50 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: REQ: Adjusting velocities of individual midi tracks [Re: VideoTrack]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

...keep in mind that BiaB doesn't purport to be a DAW.
True, but that's irrelevant here since the feature I'm talking about is already available in BBox. They've simply implemented it in a way that makes it too limited (i.e. as a one-size-fits-all thing), just like they did initially with making RT's 'simple', come to think of it.
So really all they need to do is move an existing feature into the menus for each track and voilá! - problem solved smile

#405726 - 04/06/17 03:01 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: REQ: Adjusting velocities of individual midi tracks [Re: MarioD]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Raising and lowering the velocity on layered samples will change the timbre of that instrument.===That way the tonal qualities will stay the same and just the volume with be changed.
But my request isn't about "volume", it is very specifically about velocity, I want that "timbre" control, that's the whole point.

I honestly don't think I need to tell you per se, our 'Mr. Midi-Mario' so please don't take offence, but for the benefits of others in this thread: In terms of midi sounds today, "volume" and "velocity" are most definitely NOT the same thing. And this request post is about Velocity.

#405759 - 04/06/17 04:42 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: REQ: Adjusting velocities of individual midi tracks [Re: Icelander]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Originally Posted By: Icelander
Raising and lowering the velocity on layered samples will change the timbre of that instrument.===That way the tonal qualities will stay the same and just the volume with be changed.
But my request isn't about "volume", it is very specifically about velocity, I want that "timbre" control, that's the whole point.

I honestly don't think I need to tell you per se, our 'Mr. Midi-Mario' so please don't take offence, but for the benefits of others in this thread: In terms of midi sounds today, "volume" and "velocity" are most definitely NOT the same thing. And this request post is about Velocity.

No offense taken.

Volume and velocity are mistakenly interchanged in many messages, both here and on other site forums. I apologize for not reading your initial post more carefully as you are definitely not one of those people. My bad.

Thus I am adding a +1 to your suggestion.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#405782 - 04/06/17 06:28 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: REQ: Adjusting velocities of individual midi tracks [Re: Icelander]
Jim Fogle Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
+1. I think implementing the suggestion can be very helpful to BiaB users. Some modeled soft synths have 127 discrete velocity ranges with a change in the instrument timbre for each of the 127 steps. It is more common for sample soft synths to have four to eleven velocity ranges with a sample available for each range. This request will help users to take full advantage of velocity.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#405798 - 04/06/17 07:27 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: REQ: Adjusting velocities of individual midi tracks [Re: MarioD]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

My bad.
No, your good! This distinction obviously needed to be stressed, so that the core point of the concept for the request wouldn't be misunderstood.

So you pressing the matter made this thread better, not worse cool

#406192 - 04/08/17 03:35 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: REQ: Adjusting velocities of individual midi tracks [Re: Icelander]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

IF Mac had a piano roll it would be easy, Select All Notes > Hold Shift and drag one Velocity note up and the will all go up.
Maybe 2017 ???
There are midi plugins that would do it http://www.thepiz.org/plugins put between the midi and SFZ,
but same deal as Win you can't chain them in BB only add an FX after it, you have 1 midi then 4 FX.
The only way to chain them in BB is with MiniHost, load MiniHost in the midi track, load the Velocity normalize plugin, load SFZ.

That's a workaround until something is implemented.

#406197 - 04/08/17 03:44 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: REQ: Adjusting velocities of individual midi tracks [Re: Pipeline]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Pipeline
IF Mac had a piano roll it would be easy, Select All Notes > Hold Shift and drag one Velocity note up and the will all go up.
Maybe 2017 ???
Well, the Beta phase has just started and I can only say - no such luck! smirk

p.s. I could write a big BBox essay starting with the words "IF the Mac had..." mad

#406200 - 04/08/17 04:05 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: REQ: Adjusting velocities of individual midi tracks [Re: Icelander]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

MIDI Velocity Amp
http://www.niallmoody.com/ndcplugs/ndcmidi.htm

http://www.niallmoody.com/ndcplugs/downloads/ndcMIDI_mac.zip

Another problem RapidComposer would solve, did you get around to trying RC, would you use it if you had it ?

#406218 - 04/08/17 04:55 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: REQ: Adjusting velocities of individual midi tracks [Re: Pipeline]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Pipeline
Another problem RapidComposer would solve, did you get around to trying RC, would you use it if you had it ?
Not likely, tbh. For one thing, you yourself (unintentionally I'm sure) rather caused me to resent the *** thing once you started promoting it as the go-to solution for Usertracks! grin - Something that I've been proudly and stubbornly doing the 'hard' way with commercial intentions (read:pipedreams) in mind, so I admit I was less than thrilled when you came up with a way for everyone to pull it off for themselves in a (presumably) really easy way. But it's all good, how can I object to efforts to make things easier for the masses wink

Mind you, I already have Cubase as my 'fallback' thing for things where BBox comes up short, so it's not like I'm completely without alternatives.
I just prefer the 1-stop-shop whenever I can, you know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Tutorials - How to Install Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Here are some tutorial videos we've created to help you install your Band-in-a-Box® purchase.

Our Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, and PlusPAK are delivered as a download, on DVD, or on a 32GB USB flash drive.

Installing Band-in-a-Box® from DVD: click here to watch.

Installing Band-in-a-Box® from the 32GB flash drive: click here to watch.
Your flash drive shipment also includes a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

The Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK is available as a download or shipped on a portable hard drive. When you receive the hard drive version, there are a few different installation options:

Option #1 - Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to watch.

Option #2 - Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks and RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to watch.

Option #3 - Install Band-in-a-Box® AND RealTracks on your computer hard drive: click here to watch.

All of these videos are available on our YouTube Channel or Videos support page.

Video - Making A Song in Band-in-a-Box® 2018

Ever wonder how to create a song in Band-in-a-Box®? We start off with the basics in our latest video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018!

Windows users: click here | Mac users: click here

RealTracks Patch Update for Windows Users

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest RealTracks update patch (519) here.

This patch includes some RealTracks audio updates we have made since the release of Band-in-a-Box 2018. 2018 users should be sure to download the latest Band-in-a-Box 2018 update patch (519), as that patch includes the bulk of the fixes for RealTracks released with 2018. This is a larger download than typical because it updates the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks audio files. There is more information and Audiophile patches available here.

Summary of RealTracks Audio updates:
Improved: There were small issues with the tuning of several Bass styles. This has been fixed for both the original mix and the direct input mix. This affects the following RealTracks:
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow16thsByron Ev16 060
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow128Byron Sw 040
- Bass, Acoustic, RockabillySwingByron Sw 190
- Bass, Acoustic, BluesyPopByron Ev 100
Improved: Audio glitches have been removed from the ends of phrases in the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks.

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Patch Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest (free) update patch (519) here.

Summary of changes:
Added: Additional dialog available for detailed information in the StyleMaker (fields for memo, examples, and other parameters). These are set in the StyleMaker (more dialog, a button called "Style Memos etc").
Added: Help Video button Added to the Audio Harmony dialog.
Improved: ABC opening improvements with some accidentals, and leadin bars that occur in middle of song.
Improved: Audio harmonies now used Improved algorithms, and can be easily set using N voices above, M voices below (and have additional functions like duplicate melody, and dup. melody octave below).
Improved: Lyrics will be now read from .mid files that used to be karaoke files (.kar) and got renamed somewhere along the line.
Improved: Support for RealTracks that should be transposed only lower (ie heavy metal guitars) and for future Improved metal guitar comping.
Improved: The Audio Harmony Dialog has been rearranged to be more intuitive when using Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: Audio harmonies might be missing some notes.
Fixed: Audio harmonies would be generated with the wrong notes if selecting a range of audio in the middle of the track.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might crash on bootup with error "Read Beyond end of file".
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box should show message if the latest VJT application is not installed when the user tries to render videos.
Fixed: File > Open Special > Open Audio was importing audio instead of opening it in a new song.
Fixed: In the Bar Settings window, "Chordsheet and Notation - Start a New Line" should say "Notation - Start a New Line".
Fixed: It was not possible to record audio using WAS audio drivers if "Output always on" was disabled.
Fixed: Misc. RealTracks updates.
Fixed: Quicklist drums picker sometimes showing too many drums in the list.
Fixed: Redundant flash messages were showing.
Fixed: Removing a custom drums from a track would still display Drums as the name of the loop in the track.
Fixed: Rendering audio while there is a region of bars highlighted in the chord sheet might cause a crash.
Fixed: Saving a MIDI file would fail unless saving as type 1.
Fixed: Some 12-key RealTracks were incorrectly set to allow transposition.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog needed some hints.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog was missing the new Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: The VJT application should print out its version number in log files.

Tutorials - How to Install Your Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Hard Drive

When you have your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac UltraPAK shipped to you on a portable hard drive, there are a few different options for installation. We go over these 3 options with our latest video series:

Option 1: Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to view.

Option 2: Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks & RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to view.

Option 3: Install Band-in-a-Box® and the RealTracks & RealDrums on your computer hard drive: click here to view.

Check out all our Band-in-a-Box for Mac videos here.

Video - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets for Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Have you purchased your Band-in-a-Box® package, and want to make sure you're downloading and installing the RealTracks Sets correctly?

Well, we've created just the tutorial video you're looking for! Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets.

Video link:
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=QndXu8H_IwM

Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - Mac Power Users Discussion

David Sparks and Katie Floyd discuss a variety of topics in their recent episide of Mac Power Users: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/432 - listen all the way through (and laugh along with them - it was a very entertaining episode!), or jump to 1:37:40 where David shares his thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

Thank you David and Katie!

Forum Stats
27638 Members
50 Forums
52287 Topics
432847 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
PWC, malcolmdanny45, IgorKo, run97410, LeftyMark

27637 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 181