Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Dzjang Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
we've seen a lot of app updates, some of which are useful, some of which aren't, at least for me.
Most people would settle for intro, verse, chorus, ending, breaks. That's it.
I think most of us dig biab for the styles. And would be willing to invest more in style innovations and refinements.
Instead we're confronted with a needlessly complicated app, too few improvements in the styles department and still purchasing a package deal with tons of styles we don't want to use.
I'd love a barebones app for playing and every six months style updates as an in app purchase. I'd be more happy to invest in improvements to my style of choice, rather than fancy menus.
Barebones would be like a biab player: no soloists, no recording, no computer keyboard play along scales and so on. Songs, styles, jukebox, playing and conducting, that's all.
Anyone on the same page?

Last edited by Dzjang; 04/12/17 04:15 AM.

Biab, Kontakt, Sampletank and lots of nice libraries, from Fluffy audio to Abbey Road drums.
Check out these great contemporary Jazz Styles: www.jazzstylezz.com
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi, I am definitely with you as regards style improvements over fancy menus developing.

Plus, let me add that i would pleasantly welcome more investment in new MIDI styles.

As Bob "Notes" Norton usually says, realtracks are beautiful pieces of music, but if you search for versatility, none can beat MIDI.

Just my two cents.

Antonio

I muri sono creature... scontrose
Dzjang Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Doctormidi? I'll second that. Using Kontakt has rekindled my love for midi and I use it more and more!

Biab, Kontakt, Sampletank and lots of nice libraries, from Fluffy audio to Abbey Road drums.
Veteran
Veteran
Antonio, I completely agree with you. MIDI styles have been overlooked for years.

{edit} - I've been using MIDI since the mid 1980s.

Last edited by MarioD; 04/12/17 04:14 AM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Dzjang
Doctormidi? I'll second that. Using Kontakt has rekindled my love for midi and I use it more and more!

Kontakt is my go to VSTi. I have a lot of third party patches for it.

FWIW - Google/Bing free Kontakt sounds and you will find some good ones. Also google/bing free VSTis and you will find some great sounding synths.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Dzjang Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
We should have a forum for biab midi users, since you have to resolve a lot of issues if you want to use kontakt or vst's.
Example: i dig the vintage abbey road drums from native instruments. But you have to change the settings for most keys (toms where biab expects an open hi-hat...) even though these drums are gm compatible.
For double bass there's great stuff in Bigcat's blog, suited for Kontakt. But there again, you have to remove key switches or halfway the bass changes from pizzicato to bow!

Nevertheless, a barebone Midi compatible non-audio biab would be great!

Veteran
Veteran
We should have a forum for biab midi users, since you have to resolve a lot of issues if you want to use kontakt or vst's.
Example: i dig the vintage abbey road drums from native instruments. But you have to change the settings for most keys (toms where biab expects an open hi-hat...) even though these drums are gm compatible.
For double bass there's great stuff in Bigcat's blog, suited for Kontakt. But there again, you have to remove key switches or halfway the bass changes from pizzicato to bow!

Nevertheless, a barebone Midi compatible non-audio biab would be great!

I agree about a PGMusic MIDI users forum. This should include BiaB and RB.

I would agree to a BiaB MIDI with RT availability. This would include all of the MIDI stuff, (styles, super MIDI tracks etc) and have the ability to purchase and use RTs. On occasion I use RTs and I would hate to loose that function. This MIDI version would not come with any RTs.

If you post them on the wishlist forum I will +1 them.

J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Count me in, too, for a simpler approach to everything. I prefer real styles over midi. All I need for what I do is a basic chord chart, with lyrics, and access to the mixer. My use for BIAB is live play. I’ve used the program for years, with little exploration of all the features. It’s too intimidating. Just give me a realistic-sounding rhythm section and I’m happy.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Funny what you all say about a "wishing well" program to do all that... when such a program does actually exist: it's called "Real band", and you all already own it.

Carry on... wink

EDIT: jokes put aside: that's the program you all should take a look: Tracktion Waveform

https://www.tracktion.com/products/waveform

HTH,

Last edited by LtKojak; 04/12/17 08:01 PM.

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
Milano, Italy
https://soundcloud.com/theodore-kojak/tracks
Hy-Bro Test Sound Files
Veteran
Veteran
I use both MIDI and Real Styles, but I would guess I'm over 90% MIDI.

With good sound modules you can get MIDI to sound almost as good as the real thing. Definitely close enough for the listening audience.

But MIDI is thousands of times more editable than the RTs. Simple things like perhaps you would like that guitar to sound more like a Telecaster, or a Strat, or a Jazz Box? Easy, two clicks. ... Got a note in the comp clashing with the melody? Move it down an octave, change it, or remove it. ... Want a signature kick in the song? More work involved by impossible in RTs. ... Want to change that ride cymbal to a cowbell? click and drag ... thousands more examples can be listed but you get the idea.

We musicians care about tone, and we should, but the public is not so picky. After all they listen on low bit rate mp3s, before than those awful cassettes, worse than that 8 track machines and before that 45RPM records. There have always been higher fidelity recordings available at about the same price.

And what is good tone anyway? The two top rated jazz tenor saxophonists of the 20th century were John Coltrane and Stan Getz. They played the same model saxophone, Selmer Mark VI. Play their recordings back to back and most non-musician casual listeners will think they are not even playing the same instrument, much less make and model.

And since there are a lot of guitar players here, who has/had the best guitar tone? Hendrix? Kath? Slash? Page? Santana? Benson? Hall? Pass? Beck? Les Paul? Iommi? Gale? Clapton? Burrell? Lukather? Ritenour? Dimebag? Abercrombie? Barre? Skunk? Klugh? Gannon? Ellis? Blackmore? Paisley? BB, Albert or Freddie King? Wylde? Orianthi? Remler? Muddy? Caiola? Django? Setzer? Scofield? Pizzarelli? McLaughlin? Metheny? and so on.

They have very different tone and are so famous we know most of them by one name. And on which guitar are we talking about. Jimmy Page played better on his el-cheapo Danelectro than I can on my Parker.

And voice? Dr. John? Stevie Nicks? John Lennon? Blossom Dearie? There are plenty of singers with bad to mediocre voices that sell zillions of recordings. Why? They have great expression, and the expression connects with the audience, not the tone.

So tone is important, but not the holy grail. Expression trumps tone hands down, and you can manipulate MIDI to get more different types of expression than you can an audio recording.

Some day we may be able to manipulate audio like we can MIDI, and as the tools for editing audio improve, I'll use audio more, but right now it's mostly MIDI.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Dzjang Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
@notes Norton: expression trumps tone! You are so right. Great examples: Coltrane-Getz, Jimmy Page on Danelectro. smile Same goes for early Jarrett on a clunky piano, Miles' Plugged Nickel where every musician shines despite amateuristic recording or early Nirvana on a cheap weird sounding amp.

I found myself editing a lot of midi drum styles, mostly altering velocities for added dynamics, rather than changing the groove itself. Adjusting the bass part is more difficult.

the "new" midi to styles function really analyses the chords and respects the dynamics better. Importing a great midi song with a more sophisticated rhythm section gives good results. But I'm no,drummer or bass player, so...

I truly believe better and more expressive styles, including more modern grooves (Joshua Redman's band, Brian Blade, Manu Katche, Roy Haynes, Danny Gottlieb, Dave Holland, Christian McBride) would be worth good money for the live players and lovers of daily practicing. Those same beats, regardless of them being rt or midi, get stale after some time and ruin your practicing. Charles Lloyd could have a whole set of ballads and his band could play it in such different ways that it would sound fresh on every tune.

I regret pgmusic producing new styles while mostly recycling drum and bass styles over 10 yrs old. As a player you feel a little betrayed. Certainly if you're a guitarist/pianist: you stick with drum and bass most of the time, don't you? So the new styles reveal themselves fast as being a rehash of the same old, same old.

An example: as a practicing musician, you probably have 30 or more Bop tunes to rehearse. There's only three bass midi styles and two midi bass super tracks in a really fast tempo and that bores you to death. Same with drums. Same with bossas, swing, "modern" jazz, ballads.

Variety, different feels, dynamics and being able to use your vst's and kontakt libraries 'd be grand!

Last edited by Dzjang; 04/13/17 06:52 PM.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Dzjang, I enjoyed that last post because you have a most eclectic knowledge of music, by citing that combination of names.

Carry on.

I don't know which feature of BIAB I would be willing to give up, though. I use so many. The addition of a RealTrack to mostly MIDI tracks can do wonders, and vice versa.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Dzjang Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
@LtKojak, haha.
Your link to Tracktion Waveform? It gives you a chord progression in one key. But most of us are way more sophisticated than that, :))) you should check our deft sense of harmony. I'd go all tritone on this app!

As for jazz styles, they seem to have more than one! But no more than ten. Pgmusic would rip this app to shreds.

Imagine: you're practicing a song (as you should, because Mark Levine told you so!) in all twelve keys and that one pattern keeps repeating itself in all keys. You'd go medieval on it anytime soon.

Sadly, this happens in biab too: playing in twelve keys and hearing the same bass line over and over again makes you sad, lonely, resentful and overeating, possibly even turning to illegal substance use.

Dzjang Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
@Matt: what features to give up on, I get what you're saying.

Maybe it's just me? Most of the time (98%) you'd be rehearsing for a band you play in or refining your chops or trying out new lines, triad pairs maybe? Who needs all the fancy? Recording audio? I have an app for that, smile

But I'm mostly referring to styles. Much as I dig rock, reggae or country, rnb and electro. I never use it. Variety to me is more variety in the style I practice. Same would be true for a country player who sees 150 country styles, but only discovers after,a while that the same ten bass and drum styles have been applied to all of them, over and over.

So, I'd like some basic reggae styles, but don't have me pay for reggae updates I don't use. While, on the other hand, I'd go all Kim-Kardashian if totally new styles from the ground up, including drums and bass, would appear in the store. I'd spend some money on that. Because it would make me happy! And fun to be around! And cuz it would land me my own reality show in prime time!

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
True, I use many other software programs to do certain functions BIAB can also do: recording, notation, and sequencing come immediately to mind.

The request for more variety in bass tracks for certain genres has been made in the Wishlist (maybe by you)? Perhaps head there and give it some support with specific suggestions.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Apprentice
Apprentice
Your link to Tracktion Waveform? It gives you a chord progression in one key. But most of us are way more sophisticated than that

The gave just a tiny example showing the very basic function of what the tool can do. If you care to watch again, you'll see an impressive array of different chord progressions, which you can alter, add, subtract, create your own, and chain'em in any way you want. Kinda automated style maker that will be just as simple or sophisticated as your own self want it to be.

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
Milano, Italy
https://soundcloud.com/theodore-kojak/tracks
Hy-Bro Test Sound Files
Expert
Expert
@Matt: .......... Same would be true for a country player who sees 150 country styles, but only discovers after a while that the same ten bass and drum styles have been applied to all of them, over and over .... So, I'd like some basic reggae styles, but don't have me pay for reggae updates I don't use .....

My feelings too .... Definitely the MIDI department of BIAB seems to be at a standstill for years compared to MIDI editors and even audio tools f.i. Cubase has. For MIDI: RapidComposer, Onyx Arranger, Style enhancer, and surely quite a quite few more are far ahead ... Besides if you use the GM functions of HalionSonic or the now declared dead Hypersonic VSTs, the MIDI audio-related sample stuff can sound quite good at times, especially compared to BIAB's Coyote wavetable synth. BIAB's drum editor hasn't changed very much since Atari-days LoL. How's about some groove-timing functions there? EZ drummer is far ahead as prerecorded MIDI-drum tool arranger. The strength of BIAB still is the quickly translation of a bunch of typed chords into an arrangement ... oops, ah, alas there's this weird verse-chorus construction and the annoying limited time sign-measures versus bar counting system again and again in each "update". .... F

Veteran
Veteran
Cakewalk Sonar just enhanced their MIDI Piano Roll Tools as well.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
That's why I love using RapidComposerVSTi with Biab/RB
it expands the midi capabilities way beyond Biab's.
You can have any midi/phrases where you want them and not just take whatever BB generates where it generates.
So you can save Biab midi/MSTs to a phrase.
As many chords per bar as you like.
Change Signature/Scale anywhere.
Store Virtual Instrument keyswitches within a phrase that will re-fit anywhere to any chord/scale.

I love RealTracks but as Bob, Mario and others state, more versatility with midi.
That's why I'm trying to get PG to make the RealCharts/Tabs usable with Virtual Instruments same as Ample Sound can play Guitar Pro Tab and save measures to Riffs.
So the Articulations in Control 85 that represent Bends, slides, Hammer On, Pull Off (Vibrato could be added) can be converted to custom keyswitches or midi bend info for your Virtual Instruments.
Also Export the TAB in the MXML.
You could have a Sax play a guitar piece as a complement or answer to a guitar.
You can create custom Solos within the DI RealTracks by adding a DI Virtual Instrument to any section of RealTrack.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=404310

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=406203

Veteran
Veteran
Variety, different feels, dynamics and being able to use your vst's and kontakt libraries 'd be grand!

To me there's a contradiction here. Here it is:

1. Users want simple.
2. Simple is General Midi.
3. Biab is therefore based on GM.
4. The midi styles are GM.
5. GM does not allow for all the dynamics and expression you're talking about.

GM is the limitation here. It's not just the basic sound quality of a high end synth vs a cheap GM synth, as you've written about it's also the nuances or expression of the midi "performance".

Creating better styles that would work well with non GM softsynths wouldn't make any difference. The reason is just because a high end softsynth is designed to respond to very subtle controls that will make a part sound much more authentic, Biab is not capable of sending those commands because they're not part of the GM spec.

This is why if you really want that level of control you can start with basic Biab style tracks but you then need to move them to a DAW where you can have that level of control over your synths.

This is not simple or fast or easy. This takes us full circle to 1 and 2 above.

If you want PG to revamp Biab to incorporate some of the new advanced midi features being talked about great, put those ideas in the Wishlist forum. Peter has surprised us before.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199