Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
K
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
K
Terrible problem. Cannot save a BIAB session - a feature in BIAB2017 might have crashed everything (on a late model 2015 MacBook Pro).

I cannot save a BIAB session. When I try I get the message ""Error: Cannot save to root of drive" - - -NOW HERE IS THE CRAZY THING - I have my BIAB program on a peripheral drive and on a backup drive. I get the same message no matter which drive I use even though I disconnect each drive when I boot up the other. I do not have the BIAB 2017 program installed on my MacBook hard drive. IT WAS WORKING FINE until I tried a feature of BIAB - that was to save/render a video of my session to YouTube. The computer said it rendered but it did not save to my hard drive. It was after this that the problem started.
So let me re-state something - I have BIAB full install on one drive - it worked. But now when I try to save a session I get the error message. I then disconnect that drive from the Mac and plug the other one in - I get the same message. I CAN SAVE FILES OF EVERY OTHER PROGAM MY MAC RUNS - THIS IS BIAB SPECIFIC. What could possibly be the problem? HERE IS ANOTHER CRAZY THING - I Google the problem and there are not even any Error: Cannot save to root of drive" problems for the Mac mentioned - only for PC's. I am going crazy here - BIAB no longer usable for me.

Veteran
Veteran
Kevin,

If this was happening to me, I'd be contacting PG Music.

In the meantime....

Does the Mac version of the program have "Return to factory settings". On the Windows program, this is found under the Options menu. If so, this is worth a try.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Journeyman
Journeyman
You beat me to it, Noel. I was just going to suggest that....the Mac version does indeed have Options > Return to Factory Settings, which is what I would try.

UltraPAK 2021, 27" late 2012 iMac, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.15.7
Logic Pro X 10.6.3
K
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
K
I will try that. BUT HERE IS THE MOST INSANE THING! I have BIAB fully installed on a peripheral hard drive. I plugged it into my older Mac Mini. I opened a session and was able to save the session (as a BIAB 2017). Then I tried it again, and it failed to save!!!!
I got the same notice. NOW HERE IS WHERE IT GETS EVE STRANGER - - - I disconnected the peripheral hard drive and opened BIAB 2015 which was stored on the hard drive of the Mac Mini. I tried to save a session and it failed with the same warning - "Error: Cannot save to root of drive" - - - - so whatever is wrong migrated into the BIAB on the Mini and now that computer is all screwed up.
I talked to Apple support. "Error: Cannot save to root of drive" is not even a recognized Mac problem - it is not in their manuals! Apple has never heard of it before!

K
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
K
Well, I tried Restore to factory settings and that did not work. I even pulled the peripheral hard drive off my MacBookPro, installed BIAB 2017 directly onto the MBP and I still get the same "Error: Cannot save to root of drive" - ALL MY OTHER PROGRAMS, Word, Excel, Photoshop will save files - it is just BIAB - and not it is BIAB 2015, 2017, 2017, on the MBP, on the Mac Mini, whether trying to use from a peripheral drive or installed on the computers themselves, all thing BIAB for "saving" or "naming" are just toast.
Whatever this is killed BIAB on all the computers for all BIAB versions.

I talked again to Apple Support - they have never heard of anything like this.

Even reinstalling Sierra OS did not help.

I can't wait for PG.music to open in the morning but I have a sick feeling they are not going to be able to help either. I am thinking something deep has happened to my root systems in both Macs - I could zero foam the drive in the older Mac but you cannot zero format SSD's. If the problem is down deep in the lower levels of root/Hades then I am never going to be able to run BIAB on my MBPro - and I'd be scarred to buy another expensive SSD until the "root" cause of this problem is found.
Been working with Macs and BIAB since the earliest days and have never dealt with a problem like this.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Very strange! If even the fresh install of BIAB onto your internal drive has the same issue, I'm not really know what else to suggest except.....have you checked your permissions for BIAB?

Right-click on the Band-in-a-Box.app and click on Get Info. Look at the bottom of the pop-up window for access privileges. If any of them say "read only" you should change them to "read & write."

Actually, instead of checking the app itself it would make more sense if you check permissions on any of the drives you are trying to save to.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Permissions.png (100.67 KB, 98 downloads)
Last edited by Guitartist; 05/01/17 05:27 AM.

UltraPAK 2021, 27" late 2012 iMac, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.15.7
Logic Pro X 10.6.3
K
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
K
PARTIAL SOLUTION - Thank God - I don't know why this is - PGMusic might want to look at it - - - I was finally able to save my .SGU file - BUT -now it will only save to the BIAB folder. It will not save to the Desktop. It will not save to the peripheral drive, it will not save to the "HD" (Hard Drive) - it will only go into the BIAB folder.
How BIAB changed this I have no idea - but whatever it is (and it resides on the peripheral drive) it changed the setting on my Mac Mini too - and like I said, even if I disconnect the peripheral drive COMPLETELY from the Mac Mini and use my legacy BIAB 2015 or 2016 that is on my Mini's Hard drive I still get the "Error: Cannot save to root of drive" - so whatever this thing is, it acted like a worm and got into all of my BIAB stuff and drives.

Strange, everything was working fine for the past three days....go figure.

Expert
Expert
Not enough information. Am I correct in assuming a Macintosh?

Without knowing a) what mac OS and version plus b) what version of BIAB, where and how you installed it, everyone is just guessing. Did you download it, install from a thumb drive or is your version on a PG supplied hard drive?

I know what the error means — easy. I can only guess about 10 ways you can get it without knowing the above.

You should not be able to save to the root of a drive on a Mac since OS 10.7 — you can't since 10.11 but no developer will write such an app anymore.

The question is not whether it's an installation error; it's how you made the error that is unknown.

The most obvious guess is that you ran it from a usb thumb drive but you didn't run a complete installation specifying your hard drive for saving work files. The app is trying to save your file to the thumb drive instead of your hard drive. Just because it's the most obvious answer doesn't mean I am right.

Last edited by Mike Halloran; 04/30/17 01:57 PM.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
K
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
K
To Mike-all of my permissions are correct! First thing I looked at!

K
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
K
To Mike Halloran,

It is a Mac - Retina MacBook Pro 2015-late-model edition running Sierra 10.12.4. with a 2.2Ghz Intel Dual Core i7 on an SSD drive.

BIAB 2017 for Mac. I installed all of it from the download access I was given by PGMusic by electronic delivery when I bought BIAB2017 three days ago. I simply uncompressed all the .dmg's and did the installation exactly as instructed. No thumb drive or mini-drive came from PG. I even re-downloaded all the Real-Tracks again so that everything was fresh. All the RT's, Real Drums, and Styles went to the right folders.
For the first three days everything ran perfectly I could save my .SGU's to the desktop, internal hard drive, peripheral hard drive, whatever. Suddenly, today, I can only save to the BIAB folder. I spent hours downloading Sierra from Apple for a fresh system install. Spent a lot of time with my old Mac Mini and doing installs there....now my Mac Mini is as bad off as my rMPB. If I had not tried one last time on the rMBP to save and took a swipe at saving to the BIAB folder itself I would still be in a bind. As long a I can save my files to the BIAB folder I will be OK. For me it is all about getting the work done and archiving it....but where this root directory/drive glitch came from I have no idea.

Expert
Expert
Hi Kevin,
Now my memory isn't what it used to be, but somehow I think that not being able to save to the root directory of the drive was done intentionally.
A few years back (BIAB 2015) there were issues, either because of permissions, or volume names having certain alpha-numeric characters in them that created problems when saving from BIAB to the root directory of the startup drive.
Sorry, I don't remember the exact cause of why this was done, but I think that message is normal saving to the root.

The only reference to it that I could find was from this page :
http://www.pgmusic.com/support_macintoshupdates.htm

Quote:
Summary of Changes for Build 103 (July 15, 2015)

- Fixed: There is no error message when user attempts to save a file to the root of a drive.

Having said that, this does not explain why you can't save to any other directory, especially your desktop.

If you select the "Desktop" folder in your home folder and hit "Command & I" keys to "Get Info...", do you see your account name in the permissions list ?
Does it have "read/write" access listed ?

- Jay

Last edited by JayO; 04/30/17 06:25 PM.

MacPro 5,1/12 core@3.46GHz -- OS X 10.14.6 -- ATI 7970 -- 32 Gig RAM -- Crucial 500GB OS SSD -- Samsung EVO 1TB Audio/Sample SSD -- BIAB 2023 -- Logic Pro X -- Cubase Elements 11 -- Too many plugins
K
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
K
Yes, I do have permissions there for all!
Thanks for the reply. I will read the link you sent.
OK - read the link. There is an update for BIAB 2017. It does mention a fix to the "Save As" command. I installed the update - the problem still exists.

Remember, as I posted above - I have all of the BIAB 2017 install on my peripheral hard drive. I plugged it into my Mac Mini, opened a session and saved the .SGU to the desktop. then, I tried it again and got the "Error: Cannot save to root of drive."
It is as if by running the program my root structure got changed or corrupted on the Mac Mini. SO, I unplugged the peripheral drive completely and opened BIAB 2015 which wholly resides on the Mac Mini hard drive. Then I opened a session and tried to save it - got the error message again! It is like my BIAB207/periperal drive is like a carrier - changing everything it touches. I was on the phone with Apple Support for half an hour yesterday - they could not explain it. Even a complete re-install of OS Sierra did not help!

Last edited by kevinlamb; 05/01/17 07:06 AM.
Expert
Expert
Hey Kevin,
I'm sorry that you are having all this trouble, but as far as saving to the root directory, I get this error dialog when I try to do so.
Like I said, it has been that way for as long as I remember, so I'm thinking that your problems may lie elsewhere.

Knowing that I can't save there I have always saved the project I am currently working on to the desktop.
I just tried to save a file to the root directory of my 2 other attached volumes, and got the same error dialog.
However if I created a new folder in the root directory of any volume I am able to save to those new folders.

It definitely sounds like you have a permissions problem though, you should always be able to save into any folder inside your "Home" folder.
A clean install of Sierra should have reset the default permissions, but I'm not 100% sure since it mostly overwrites the system folder permissions, and not the user's folders.

I do know that the ability to repair permissions, was removed from Disk Utility in the last few versions of OSX.
I have used Onyx, to repair permissions since Apple took it from disk utility, with good results.
Maybe it would be worth a try to see if Onyx, could possible restore permissions on folders other than the system folder.
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Just be sure to download and use the exact version of Onyx for the system software version that you are running.
Hopefully this is of some help.

- Jay

MacPro 5,1/12 core@3.46GHz -- OS X 10.14.6 -- ATI 7970 -- 32 Gig RAM -- Crucial 500GB OS SSD -- Samsung EVO 1TB Audio/Sample SSD -- BIAB 2023 -- Logic Pro X -- Cubase Elements 11 -- Too many plugins
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: kevinlamb
OK - read the link. There is an update for BIAB 2017. It does mention a fix to the "Save As" command. I installed the update - the problem still exists.

Oops sorry missed this part, in my last longwinded reply.
Yes there was a problem with the "Save as" in 2017, but this was a separate issue concerning the file name not being saved with the new file.
This fix was to address a totally different issue than you are describing.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but possibly Onyx will be able to sort out the issues, I know it has helped me in the past.
Also when you do run Onyx, it will create a report in the main window and will note any permission problems it can not fix.
Sometimes this information can be useful too, possibly seeing a screen shot of that log may help.

- Jay

Last edited by JayO; 05/01/17 11:22 AM. Reason: added screenshot

Expert
Expert
Quote:
I think that not being able to save to the root directory of the drive was done intentionally.

The Mac OS has made this impossible since 10.11 El Capitan. Developers were supposed to stop letting apps write there since Lion 10.7.

This happened from downloads? Yikes! Not what I expected.

New install or upgrade?

Did you install anywhere other than the default locations?

Did you install to a drive other than your boot drive?

Are the disk images from the installers still visible after the installation?

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Expert
Expert
Onyx is crapware. Do NOT run it till this issue is solved. Better yet, remove it from your system.

Sierra has no ability to Repair Permissions. The OS does not contain the components necessary for that to be an issue.

Last edited by Mike Halloran; 05/01/17 12:28 PM.

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
Onyx is crapware. Do NOT run it till this issue is solved. Better yet, remove it from your system.

Sierra has no ability to Repair Permissions. The OS does not contain the components necessary for that to be an issue.

Hi Mike,
Welcome to the forum !
Although there is a lot of Mac "Crapware" out there (MacKeeper etc...), the thing about Onyx is it is just a GUI for running Apple's own built in command line utilities.
So when you issue a command through Onyx, you are doing nothing more than running one of Apple's own command line utilities.
This is why you have to be very careful in selecting the proper version Onyx for your OS.

That being said, you can still do serious damage running the wrong command line scripts, but "diskutil: resetUserPermissions" is a pretty innocuous command.
Although Apple has removed the ability of Disk Utility to repair permissions, the underlying commands are still there.

For those who are afraid to to use a utility such as Onyx, the information can still be found on Apple's website about accessing those commands.
Here is one the OP may be interested in checking out, if he is hesitant to try Onyx, this is just for your "Home" folder :
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538

Of course, me, I hate typing.
These replies take me forever. smile blush

- Jay

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: kevinlamb
PARTIAL SOLUTION - Thank God - I don't know why this is - PGMusic might want to look at it - - - I was finally able to save my .SGU file - BUT -now it will only save to the BIAB folder. It will not save to the Desktop. It will not save to the peripheral drive, it will not save to the "HD" (Hard Drive) - it will only go into the BIAB folder.

How about if you create a folder on your root HD like \testsongs and try to save the file in there, what happens then?

The error message does come from Band-in-a-Box so it's not surprising that Google / Apple doesn't address that exact message.

But it should only occur if indeed you are saving to the root HD, and I don't know why it would otherwise come up. Maybe the answer to the above question will shed some light.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Expert
Expert
You are not allowed to write to root beginning with OS 10.11 El Capitan.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2988096/mac-os-x/sorry-unix-fans-os-x-el-capitan-kills-root.html

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,581
Posts734,680
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200