Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm just wondering, since there seem to be loads of free Kontakt sets out there if any of you have ever examined the idea of converting those to the sfz format?

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
There's Extreme Sample Converter http://www.extranslator.com/
you may need to run on WinOnX.

Veteran
Veteran
When you convert one format to another you may lose some or many attributes and nuances of that patch. Thus although you can convert the final sound may or may not be the same as the original.

FWIW-you can use those free Kontakt sounds with the free Kontakt player. Personally that is the way I would proceed.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: MarioD
When you convert one format to another you may lose some or many attributes and nuances of that patch. Thus although you can convert the final sound may or may not be the same as the original.

FWIW-you can use those free Kontakt sounds with the free Kontakt player. Personally that is the way I would proceed.

Probably not. Only NI licensed libraries get to use the free Kontakt player except for the free libraries that NI includes.

All those free sounds are designed for use in the paid version of Kontakt.

NI does not want people to convert their libraries and make it very difficult to do so.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Icelander
I'm just wondering, since there seem to be loads of free Kontakt sets out there if any of you have ever examined the idea of converting those to the sfz format?

Why would you even want to do that? I guess you want the free Kontakt sets and the ability to play them huh?

Why not just get the FREE KONTAKT player? On the NI site.... there are a few free players for their stuff. Not as full featured but totally free and "full working versions" none the less.

HERE>>>> https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/free/

Yeah... just get the players and use them because if you try converting the samples... it might not work.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
If they are in wav it would be easy with http://polyphone-soundfonts.com/en/download
you just add the wav's with the note in the filename.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Kontakt-wav-library.jpg (153.83 KB, 112 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
but if those wavs are copyright protected then you would be breaking the law.

The best suggestion has already been given and this is get the free Kontakt Player. That way you would be on the right side of the law.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: Icelander
...there seem to be loads of free Kontakt sets out there...

but if those wavs are copyright protected then you would be breaking the law...

If they are free they are free.

We went through all this with Frank (Seeker), he was put off creating UserTracks forever after someone said "you would be breaking the law", I got in touch with the company and found out from them that it wasn't the case.

Veteran
Veteran
why reinvent the wheel?

Get the free Kontakt player and be done with it.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I know, I was trying to avoid having to grasp their convoluted interface, I s'pose, particularly since we got that blissfully simple sfz interface already.
I'll give that link a shot, Pipeline, although that too seems like more new things to grasp, so I dunno wink

Anyway, thanks to all who chimed in, I just might end up just sticking with the decent stuff I already got for sforzando, so write this one out to general curiosity more than dire need (which it certainly wasn't).

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
why reinvent the wheel?

Get the free Kontakt player and be done with it.

"J-311 free Kontakt drum library requires a full version of Native Instruments Kontakt. In the free Kontakt Player version, it will be functional only 15 minutes with each opening. If you don’t own Kontakt, no problem, you can use the included one-shot drum samples (311 WAV files) in any drum sampler of your choice."

"Details
The Pack Contains 1 Grand Piano instrument for NI Kontakt (5+ Full).

93Mb Download Size
210Mb Total Size (unrared)
Free"

ESC has many import formats but is only for Win unless you use something like WineBottler ?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
ESC-Formats.jpg (130.8 KB, 130 downloads)
Last edited by Pipeline; 04/30/17 10:07 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
For those who want to convert other formats to SFZ.

From the Soundiron Venus Women's Choir:

"While you can reprogram the samples or presets to other
formats, we always recommend using Kontakt for best
results, since it widely considered the industry standard
and easily the most powerful sample programming and
playback platform on the market. However, if you wish to
convert or reprogram the wav files and instrument
presets into any other sampler or softsynth format,
including free and open-source standards like SFZ, then
there are a variety of great tools that you can use to
customize this library, such as Extreme Sample Converter
and Chickensys Translator. Just be aware that not all
settings and properties will translate accurately, reliably or
even at all from one instrument or audio format to the
next, due to vast differences in standards, behaviors,
structures and capabilities that each platform relies on."

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Here's a Mac WineBottle Extreme Sample Converter.
It's a Standalone ESC.app
It may take a while before the gui comes up.
if it works you know the full will.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tpehkhdevgkybgt/ESC_Mac.rar?dl=0
Click No Thanks Continue at the bottom.

ESC-WineBottler.png (351 KB, 76 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
I've converted a number of Kontakt samples into sfz instruments. My motivation was to be able to use them with my USB EWI, which uses an underpowered netbook as the sound source.

In some cases, I've been able to use Kontakt to export the samples as .wav files, which is convenient. Getting the samples by playing them through Kontakt means you're getting a second generation sample, at best.

When there's just a single sample per note, I set up a <group> trigger=first for one set of samples, and <group> trigger=legato using the same samples, but with legato parameters for the second group.

I've not had to deal with loop points. Those values are visible in Kontakt, but often samples are long enough (several seconds) that it not been a problem for me.

When the sample set contains true legato samples, it's a lot more work. That's mostly because transitions are shared between notes. For example, the transition from A4 to D4 might be shared by the notes F#4, G4, G#4, A4 and A#4. There are a lot of sampled legato transitions, so my solution was to write a Java program to figure out the the best mappings and generate the .sfz file.

If I'm feeling particular clever, I'll also create round robins from the nearest notes.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Veteran
Veteran
Dave, if I can ask why not use Kontakt with your wind controller?

I use my EWI USB all the time in Kontakt.

Veteran
Veteran
Dave, if I can ask why not use Kontakt with your wind controller.

My netbook has 1 gig of memory and a slow processor. Using the Plogue sforzando player, it can handle 1 note of polyphony.

I don't even want to imagine running Kontakt on that machine. sick

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Dave, if I can ask why not use Kontakt with your wind controller.

My netbook has 1 gig of memory and a slow processor. Using the Plogue sforzando player, it can handle 1 note of polyphony.

I don't even want to imagine running Kontakt on that machine. sick

I see. Thanx for letting me know.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,453
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195