Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#410947 - 05/05/17 05:46 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Tip: Don't forget to adjust Reverb, Pan, and especially Tone
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Disclaimer: I write Brazilian and Latin jazz, and my comments are based on styles in that genre. Nevertheless, I think anyone in any genre should be aware of the default values BIAB uses.

In this post, I will talk briefly about Tone, Reverb, and Pan in BIAB and why you should experiment altering their default values.

Tone
One of the first things I do when starting a song, after choosing the instruments, is to make the Mixer window (in version 2017) wide enough so that I have a slider for Tone control on the far right (instead of just a number). This gives Tone the same 'importance' as Volume, Reverb and Pan as you consider your mix.

The default tone value of 0 for each instrument often sounds 'muffled' to me. The available range [not sure why] is -18 to +18. I leave the drums fairly low, maybe 6, and the bass not much higher, maybe 10, but I raise the guitar and piano up to around 16. This makes these instruments really come alive in the mix.

Reverb
The available range is 0 to 127. To my ears, the default setting of 40 is too high for any instrument. Too much reverb leads to a muddy sound, with instruments too far in the background. [Be aware that you can choose the baseline of how much reverb to apply in Preferences, RealTracks, Reverb Strength, so if you have altered that from 100%, your value of 40 will not equal mine.] Assuming you are using the default, then here are the settings I generally use to give my mix a crispness that is lacking in the default value of 40:

Bass - 0 (in other words, no reverb added)
Drums - 0
Piano - 14 to 20
Guitar - 20+ but nowhere near 40.

Pan
I've noticed that the jazz and Latin styles often have guitar and piano panned on the same side. The default varies; it is NOT always 0 (centered). Although they are panned different amounts by default, I immediately pan one of them to the opposite side of the other. This means using negative numbers (or move the slider to the left) to send an instrument to the left side of the sound stage. Bass, being very hard to determine direction, is generally (correctly) panned to the center (0), and drums should be at or near the center as well. My piano might be 20 right, and my guitar (a lighter sound) might be 40 left, so it stands out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The great thing is that PG Music has given us an easy way to override the defaults to make the mix sound like you want. Don't settle for the defaults. Try adjusting all three of these things [tone, reverb, & pan], as well as volume to get the instrument sounds 'right' before you proceed with composing, arranging, or editing. It might take some getting used to, if you haven't altered these settings before, but you'll be happier with your results, and your mix should 'pop' better.
BIAB 2017 PC Audiophile. Software: SONAR Platinum, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20 (2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#410958 - 05/05/17 06:32 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Tip: Don't forget to adjust Reverb, Pan, and especially Tone [Re: Matt Finley]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Good info. Thanks for posting.

#410975 - 05/05/17 10:29 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Tip: Don't forget to adjust Reverb, Pan, and especially Tone [Re: Matt Finley]
lambada Offline
Expert

Loc: Hong Kong
Interesting, I must admit, I've started adding much more reverb to my solo instruments - some up to 90! Most I leave at between 0 and 20. I might need to revisit my solo instruments. I had no idea you could edit tone (which i generally ignore) with a fader. I definitely need to revisit this on my mixes. I've found panning left and right very helpful. I have the drums and bass at either -5, 5 or -10, 10. I usually put the other instruments at - or + 20/25 or 35 depending on how many. I keep the solo instruments at 0. I also set the drums to volume 90 and one at a time match the other instruments to it (eg bass 88, 86 or 84). Some solo instruments have to be lowered a fair bit. I find some rock n roll styles are way too loud in the overall mix, so a few songs I set at -2 - -5 on the song settings. Generally I leave them at 0. One style that I've used I had to put up to over 5. Not sure why. I play/stream live using the .mgu files. I also have Neutrina running on most tracks. I steam the whole thing on automatic via jukebox in the file special option. All the settings I use I have learnt from reading this forum, so all honour goes to you guys! All failings are based on the fact that I base my settings on my ears! grin

Edited by lambada (05/05/17 10:32 PM)
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface - built in midi)
VoiceLive 2, Nova, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic

#410983 - 05/06/17 12:32 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Tip: Don't forget to adjust Reverb, Pan, and especially Tone [Re: Matt Finley]
LtKojak Online   content
Apprentice

Loc: Milano, Italy
Thank you for the tip, Matt!

I've never even knew of the existence of a "tone" slider.

Much appreciated!

Yours very truly,
Hy-Bro Test Sound Files

#410985 - 05/06/17 12:54 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Tip: Don't forget to adjust Reverb, Pan, and especially Tone [Re: LtKojak]
John-Luke Offline
Expert

Loc: France
Very good tips indeed.

But raising the guitar and piano up to around 16 is rather a high value which can look excessive. Anyway, it's mainly a matter of personal taste.

#410991 - 05/06/17 03:08 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Tip: Don't forget to adjust Reverb, Pan, and especially Tone [Re: Matt Finley]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Good tips Matt, thanks. Maybe one for the Tips and Tricks section?

BIAB, RB 2017(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#410999 - 05/06/17 05:01 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Tip: Don't forget to adjust Reverb, Pan, and especially Tone [Re: VideoTrack]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Good tips Matt, thanks. Maybe one for the Tips and Tricks section?

Yes this should be in the Tips and Tricks section. I never knew about the tone slider either. Why did PGMusic hide it?

I do all of this in my DAW Sonar and the type and amount of reverb depends entirely on the song, as Matt said. If I'm trying to emulate an orchestra setting in an opera house I would use a Cathedral type reverb with a fair amount of reverb. But if I was trying to emulate a crowded jazz lounge I would choose a small room and very little reverb. I will add that adding a small amount of reverb to horns, either MIDI or RTs, adds a lot. YMMV.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#411000 - 05/06/17 05:10 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Tip: Don't forget to adjust Reverb, Pan, and especially Tone [Re: Matt Finley]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
Good advice, Matt.

Little adjustments can make a very big difference.

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#411078 - 05/06/17 05:26 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Tip: Don't forget to adjust Reverb, Pan, and especially Tone [Re: Matt Finley]
Hugh2 Offline
Apprentice

Thanks thats very useful Matt .
So ive noticed this recently as I was listening to some songs using Ozone (mp3) and when I used the side option I obviously could hear only the far sides of the song but the lead vocals were still clear whereas a song I mix the vocals are almost none existant on the sides.My question Do producers delibrately pan a lead track far right and another far left as well as in the centre?
Hugh

Edited by Hugh2 (05/06/17 05:27 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#411083 - 05/06/17 06:16 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Tip: Don't forget to adjust Reverb, Pan, and especially Tone [Re: Matt Finley]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Thanks for taking the time to put this together and to post it, Matt. You've given me a few things I need to try when I start working on my next song.

Appreciate it,
Noel

#411140 - 05/07/17 05:23 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Tip: Don't forget to adjust Reverb, Pan, and especially Tone [Re: Matt Finley]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
As a bit of a traditionalist, I pan the bass and kick drum in the middle. With a wavelength longer than the width of your head, you are going to hear them there anyway.

Vocals, always centered unless there is a good reason to put it elsewhere.

Instruments that share the same audio frequencies I like to pan to different sides. How much? It depends.

I also like to adjust reverb/echo according to the song. For some songs I like to put them all in the same room, but for others I realize that a guitarist might dial in different FX settings than the synth player or the vocalist.

When on the gig, I pan everything center. Only a few people in the entire room will be in the stereo sweet spot, and some will be near one channel or the other. I remember eating lunch in a restaurant, and if seated either in the front or the back of the room, all you could hear was one stereo channel. At times that sounded weird, like not being able to hear the lead guitar, just the lead guitar's reverb.

For tone and all of the above, I just twiddle the virtual or actual knobs/sliders and let my ears be the judge.

Insights and incites by Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#411171 - 05/07/17 07:56 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Tip: Don't forget to adjust Reverb, Pan, and especially Tone [Re: Notes Norton]
Hugh2 Offline
Apprentice

Hi Bob,
Thats interesting about panning centre for gigging,never thought about it.
Just to say I bought some of your styles from NortonMusic and they were fabulous.If ever you get the time could you do some more ABBA styles.The one I got was great thanks,Hugh

#411176 - 05/07/17 09:00 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Tip: Don't forget to adjust Reverb, Pan, and especially Tone [Re: Notes Norton]
Tony Wright Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Waterloo Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton

When on the gig, I pan everything center. Only a few people in the entire room will be in the stereo sweet spot, and some will be near one channel or the other. I remember eating lunch in a restaurant, and if seated either in the front or the back of the room, all you could hear was one stereo channel. At times that sounded weird, like not being able to hear the lead guitar, just the lead guitar's reverb.

This why I have never understood the value in having anything panned other than center. Especially since many performers will be using mono PA systems. Why do PG produce styles with instruments panned left or right? How can they decide how the user wants to set up their sound stage?

On the other hand I always play my keyboard piano sounds panned fully left and right, not for a stereo effect but because the piano sounds are terrible if you sum them to mono ahead of the speakers.

Tony

#411189 - 05/07/17 12:46 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Tip: Don't forget to adjust Reverb, Pan, and especially Tone [Re: Matt Finley]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
I tend to think of PG Music's settings as suggested starting points, nothing more.

I'm glad they use some panning off-center, just because if you don't change it, it sounds better than if it started as mono. For special purposes like Notes is describing, changing the settings is easy.
BIAB 2017 PC Audiophile. Software: SONAR Platinum, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20 (2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#411195 - 05/07/17 02:24 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Tip: Don't forget to adjust Reverb, Pan, and especially Tone [Re: Matt Finley]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Quote:
Why do PG produce styles with instruments panned left or right? How can they decide how the user wants to set up their sound stage?

Actually, there are no panning settings in styles. Default behavior for panning depends upon your settings under the "Pan" column in the Preferences "Channels" tab screen.

If you click on the "Overrides" tab under Preferences, you can uncheck the box for pan to ignore loading that setting for any loaded song.

If you save your songs with everything centered, it is not panned.

That being said, there are some stereo RealTracks instruments for which you can adjust the pan to slide the center of the stereo field left and right, but yes those specific tracks are recorded stereo.

But pan settings are a factor of the settings made under Preferences, or in the Mixer and then saved, not in the style definition.

#1-Win10Pro-64,8GB,7200RPM
#2-Win10Pro-64,16GB,SSDBoot,7200RPM
#3-Win7Pro-64,8GB,7200RPM
H/W: Onboard audio, FastTrack Pro, Casio Kbds
S/W: BB/RB2017/Sonar/Reaper/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/
NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web: http://www.sus4chord.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
User Blog - How to Make a Band-in-a-Box Backing Track (with Melody) Using a Lead Sheet

Joanne Cooper's latest blog post Create a Band-in-a-Box backing track with melody from a lead sheet is the perfect read for anyone looking to do just that!

She thoroughly explains the process - from selecting the song, finding the lead sheet, picking a style, and more! Even if you're well versed with the program, be sure to read this blog post - you'll want to bookmark it and share it with anyone you know who's new to the program!

Thank you Joanne for sharing!

https://www.joannecooper.co.za/blog/blog/create-a-band-in-a-box-backing-track-with-melody-from-a-lead-sheet

Vote for Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - We've Been Nominated for a 2018 SOS Award!

We are still over the moon with being nominated as one of the Music Software products for the 2018 SOS Awards!

If you haven't had a chance to look over the nominees and place your vote, head to https://www.soundonsound.com/sos-awards - but hurry... the polls are only open until 23:59 PST on November 30th! (Winners will be annouced at the Winter NAMM show in January.)

The SOS Awards are held annually by Sound On Sound, these awards celebrate a number of products launched within the last year, including categories like Audio Interface, DAW, Guitar Technology, Music Software, and more - the winners are chosen by the readers, and people just like you! To learn more about the SOS awards, click here.

SOS voting rules are available here.

Sound On Sound Awards - a list of 2017 Winners.

The Beginners Forum - Great Tool for New Band-in-a-Box® Users!

If you're new to Band-in-a-Box®, and looking for a Forum just for you, check out the Beginner's Forum! This forum is the perfect place to post resources ideal for those starting with the program.

If you're not new to Band-in-a-Box®, that doesn't mean you can't join in the action! Pop over to the Beginners Forum to join in the discussion & share your knowledge too - we have a really supportive & helpful crew on the forums!

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=97&page=1

YouTube Find - COUNTRY ROADS John Denver Band-in-a-Box Backing Track Key G Major

Another great video has been posted by EricBlackmonGuitar, and he uses his Band-in-a-Box beautifully for creating the backing tracks - see for yourself!

YouTube Video - COUNTRY ROADS John Denver Band In A Box Backing Track Key G Major

My Favorite Things - Seemingly Unlimited Flexibility!

We receive user feedback many ways, including our Facebook page, by email or phone, using the Comments tab on our Band-in-a-Box® pages, the My Favorite Things Forum, and more!

Like the great feedback recently posted by Al-David:
"I write and play in quite a few different genres. The flexibility BIAB gives me makes transpositions, from one genre to another, so easy and quick. A number of times I've created a piece, intending it to be a Smooth Jazz or Smooth RnB song. But when I generated the song, it just didn't work in the intended genre.

With a simple click of the Style Picker ... BAM! The song ended up as a pretty decent Pop song. I only had to replace a couple of instruments from the new style and alter a couple of chords..."
(read the full thread here.)

Post your feedback to our Forum - My Favorite Things - we'd love to hear it!

Band-in-a-Box® 2017 Nominated for a 2018 SOS Award!

We're so excited that Band-in-a-Box® 2017 has been nominated as one of the Music Software products for the 2018 SOS Awards!

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to vote! If you haven't had a chance yet, you can vote here... (the polls are open until 23:59 PST on November 30th)

Winners will be announced at the Winter NAMM show in January, 2018.

What are the SOS awards? Held annually by Sound On Sound, these awards celebrate a number of products launched within the last year, including categories like Audio Interface, DAW, Guitar Technology, Music Software, and more - the winners are chosen by the readers, and people just like you! To learn more about the SOS awards, click here.

SOS voting rules are available here.

Happy National Saxophone Day!

Happy Birthday to Adolphe Sax, the creator of the Saxophone! Adolphe was born November 6, 1814 - 32 years later he pantended his saxophone creation!

Check our our Saxophonist programs for Windows:
The Jazz Saxophonist
The Rock Saxophonist

Plus, we have more than 180 Saxophone RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box by the following RealTracks Artists:
Eric Alexander
Eric Marienthal
Gary Smulyan
Jack Stafford
Jim Clark
Mark Douthit
P.J. Perry
Phil Woods
Tom Keenlyside

We have more than 30 different RealTracks Sets that include Saxophone RealTracks - for a complete list, click here.

Forum Stats
26607 Members
50 Forums
48223 Topics
395025 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Jazzist, Johnny Boy, Shaha, Dukestar33, jyogupta1993

26620 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 222
Al-David 188