Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I believe PG Music has the ability to generate a checksum so you would be able to ensure a successful (uncorrupted) download. As each new update is cumulative and works with any version of 2017, any update that downloads without corruption should work.

Thank's Matt, Will ask PG Music for that, so that next time, I can ensure for that...

Forever Grateful, BUT, sometimes pissed of. wink
Trygve "Leo" Larsen
BiaB 2020, Windows 8.1, Intel Core i5 CPU, 270GHz, 32 Gb RAM
My OLD tracks on Soundcloud; https://soundcloud.com/trygve-larsen My NEW is unpublished
The Universe = Uni-verse ie one song.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: LtKojak
Trygve, I've seen this behavior in the past, when I built computers for a living.

There are two probable sources for this to happen:

1. some faulty component(s) in your new computer. Either the RAM or the HD.
2. some (all?) audiophile RTs are from corrupted downloading.

Both causes leads to the same erratic behavior: the data read from the disk, is not the same than the one delivered to the CPU to process, so the outcome can simply not be the one expected, 'cause the RAM stick(s) are not handling the file's checksums well due to faulty timing, or the sectors where the data was written are bad.

That's the beast I can do without actually opening your machine to test.

HTH,

Thank's Kojak ! That makes a lot of sense to me.. Actually, it was a friend of me that bought this PC for me in parts, and assembled it. He is a computer technician, but I have had a feeling from the very start that something might be wrong.. Because the first I did, was to unzip some of my old RAR filesstuff to get it on the my new PC. But, when I did, I observed that it started to unzip, then hang a little, then continue, then hang a little again, a.s.o. It has never done that before... Fortunately, I have a warranty for all the parts, so I guess I can get it fixed if it turns out to be a RAM problem or something...

Will install 2017 on my laptop tomorrow and see if the same problems occur there...

Thank's a lot all of u for ur assistanse to help me out ! What would PG music be doing without this great forum????

Trygve "Leo" Larsen
My OLD tracks on Soundcloud; https://soundcloud.com/trygve-larsen My NEW is unpublished
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Trygve
1. Click melody
2. click Generate Soundtrack
3. Click load soundtrack Song
4 Whatever song I chose from there stops at bar 8
5. I open the same songs from the Soundtrack Midi Fakebook folder by the file menu, open, and they do not stop at bar 8...
6. I tried right now a couple of other BB song, and so far no one stopped...

Trygve,

The above is exactly the information I needed. The section of BIAB that you are working in is designed by PG Music to be used for creating mood music for backings of slide shows, home movies, etc. It is not part of the commonly used area of BIAB (which is what I thought you were talking about).

Just so others can see where you are spending your time, I'll paste an image (it's the upper image at the end of this post).

You are one of the very few people that I've encountered who use this section of BIAB. It's a great area to play around in! Unfortunately, it was not something I thought of from your earlier descriptions.

Now that I know where you are creating your music, I can confirm that it only works for 8 bars for me, too. There's DEFINITELY a problem here. I have reported it to PG Music developers so it will be fixed as soon as they have isolated the cause.

Also... in relation to your other post on copyright.... if these are the melodies that you are talking about when you create your songs, then you are ok. PG Music indicate under the "Help" button, that this music is royalty-free and can be used freely (see the lower image below).

I will add this to your other post too in case others find the information useful.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. I loaded a songfile of mine in that I've been working on and, after using the Soundtrack Generator, it stopped at bar 8 too! When I exited BIAB and restarted it, the file played fine.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Soundtrack backing.JPG (67.99 KB, 177 downloads)
Image 1... Creating a soundtrack backing
generate soundtrack.JPG (53.96 KB, 176 downloads)
Image 2... from Soundtrack backing "Help"

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
It is not part of the commonly used area of BIAB (which is what I thought you were talking about).

You are one of the very few people that I've encountered who use this section of BIAB. It's a great area to play around in! Unfortunately, it was not something I thought of from your earlier descriptions.

N

I have never in all the years gone here! As I read this thread I thought maybe these are loops So I went directly into the file folder in explorer and just selected one file. It opened in BIAB and OMG what I am hearing? It appears to be a collection of layered synth pads producing a atmosphere backing. It was really really cool! Did not even sound like BIAB. And by the way, it played through with no stopping on bar 8.

Sorry you are having troubles, but Thanks for the heads up.

Mystery2.sty demo "The Quest"

Soundtrack Style
3/4 Background style

mysterious and dark style featuring ostinato harp 8ths and pads

"A" section:

low synth strings play bass notes
shaker plays 8th notes
harp ostinato 8th notes
pad sweep plays offbeat 8th ost. pattern

"B" section

add more drums/perc
bass strings play octaves, louder

melody=koto/flute in unison

tempos = 75-140

Last edited by MusicStudent; 05/18/17 01:56 AM.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
By the way when I load from within BIAB only 8 bars played, but loading from Explorer all played fine.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
OK, now I'm starting to follow better, I tried it and got some similar results, although mine did a (not very good timing) restart after 8 bars.

Checking further I noticed the settings as shown below which might account for the restart.

Also, I tried Arctic Trail and the song restarted after 8 bars but the side stick then went - how do I say? - whacky

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2017-05-18_22-29-24.jpg (65.99 KB, 155 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Update:
I tried the same song as above (Arctic Trail) on 2016 Build 437 and it did not exhibit the same problems. Also restarting the Generate Soundtrack function was OK after the number of bars was increased from 8.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Videotrack's picture makes me think the default setting makes this like a demo - a sample, for quick preview?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Trev,

That's some nice detective work, there!

I've highlighted those areas on the image below that affect how many bars the song plays.

=======

Trygve,

Following on from Trev's discovery... on the image below, I've highlighted those settings that control playback behaviour.

Regards,
Noel

Soundtrack generator2.JPG (71.34 KB, 143 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Trygve,

The above is exactly the information I needed. The section of BIAB that you are working in is designed by PG Music to be used for creating mood music for backings of slide shows, home movies, etc. It is not part of the commonly used area of BIAB (which is what I thought you were talking about).

Just so others can see where you are spending your time, I'll paste an image (it's the upper image at the end of this post).

Now that I know where you are creating your music, I can confirm that it only works for 8 bars for me, too. There's DEFINITELY a problem here. I have reported it to PG Music developers so it will be fixed as soon as they have isolated the cause.

Also... in relation to your other post on copyright.... if these are the melodies that you are talking about when you create your songs, then you are ok. PG Music indicate under the "Help" button, that this music is royalty-free and can be used freely (see the lower image below).

Actually, what I was referring to regarding Copyrights was not the song I can create using this Tool, but the songs loaded from the option "Load Soundtrack Songs" I liked most of those very much, and as mentioned in my first post, uploaded some to soundcloud.. Just used some different VST and added some real tracks for the backing. But the melodies and solos I did not changed or replaced with anything... So that was my question if we are allowed to do... Perhaps it is OK if I add in the song description; Melodies and Solos created by PG-Music ? Perhaps PG-Music could be kind to come in here with some guidelines for this question??

My next question here is; IF those melodies WAS created entirely by using the melodist and Soloist, WHICH melodist/soloist was used??? Because, there is some pretty unusual phrases there that I have not be able to, so far, to find any melodist doing. For instance in the Dark Places melody.

I will add this to your other post too in case others find the information useful.

Yeah, I thing that would be very helpful...

P.S. I loaded a songfile of mine in that I've been working on and, after using the Soundtrack Generator, it stopped at bar 8 too! When I exited BIAB and restarted it, the file played fine.

Seems like something "Sits in the system" after using the soundtrack generators default setting... Hopeful all the problems with stopping at bar 8 will be gone after resolving this-- wink

Thank's again Noel !

Trygve "Leo" Larsen
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
I have never in all the years gone here! As I read this thread I thought maybe these are loops So I went directly into the file folder in explorer and just selected one file. It opened in BIAB and OMG what I am hearing? It appears to be a collection of layered synth pads producing a atmosphere backing. It was really really cool! Did not even sound like BIAB. And by the way, it played through with no stopping on bar 8.

Sorry you are having troubles, but Thanks for the heads up.

Happy u discover it also MusicStudent !

Trygve "Leo" Larsen
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
OK, now I'm starting to follow better, I tried it and got some similar results, although mine did a (not very good timing) restart after 8 bars.

Checking further I noticed the settings as shown below which might account for the restart.

Also, I tried Arctic Trail and the song restarted after 8 bars but the side stick then went - how do I say? - whacky

Wow ! I bang my head in the wall ! Why have I overlooked this ???
Never stroked my mind it will affect also those demo songs...
Thank's for discover it VT !

Trygve "Leo" Larsen
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Trygve Larsen

Wow ! I bang my head in the wall ! Why have I overlooked this ???
Never stroked my mind it will affect also those demo songs...
Thank's for discover it VT !

Leo, You're very welcome. We all learned something from this little exercise!

C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
I play around with this feature quite a lot and you can load any BIAB sgu file and create a custom soundtrack to any length desired. Using the Load Existing Song button and navigate to the folder location of the song you desire to make into a soundtrack and using the Desired Duration Button which un-grays the selection buttons below the Desired Duration Button. You can select and deselect specific tracks as desired also.

It's a great feature.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Trev,

That's some nice detective work, there!

I've highlighted those areas on the image below that affect how many bars the song plays.

=======

Trygve,

Following on from Trev's discovery... on the image below, I've highlighted those settings that control playback behaviour.

Regards,
Noel

Thank's a lot again Noel ! U r a really great help and inspiration for me !

Trygve "Leo" Larsen
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Trygve Larsen
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
I have never in all the years gone here! As I read this thread I thought maybe these are loops So I went directly into the file folder in explorer and just selected one file. It opened in BIAB and OMG what I am hearing? It appears to be a collection of layered synth pads producing a atmosphere backing. It was really really cool! Did not even sound like BIAB.
Thanks for the heads up.

Happy u discover it also MusicStudent !

I wanted to circle back to this old thread. No intention to beat my own drum (I don't make any money on play count grin ), but I did spend sometime getting to know this BIAB Feature and was really happy with the outcome. So this is simply another testimony to what is hidden in BIAB for those who explore.

River Winding

The next time someone asks about what files and styles they can delete cause they don't "... use any of that stuff", tell them there is gold in them there mountains.

Veteran
Veteran
Dan,

You've created a really lovely piece of music, here. It's wonderful!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Really excellent Dan, you've made great use of this feature, for sure.

Expert
Expert
Hello Thrygve ... Meanwhile 466 jumped out of the magicians hat, fixed quite a bit of issues i had, especially regarding bar count changes it seems (like a 2/4 measure inserted in a 4/4 song), and VST problems with some plugins I think also. But i still find some RTs missing a bar, especially the soloist type versions.

I take it your on Windows, not MAC.

Hardware: If you use Windows 10 and an external USB drive like the USB 3.0 WD one your Audiophile came with, problems are often USB related. First of all use a quality cable, but the one from WD seems adequate when tested for speed. Then look at the USB port you use. I had and have problems regarding the chip brand and drivers with an RME audio interface. Found that ASmedia chips with USB 3.0 and 3.1 suck, and NEC (Renessas) work far better regarding hiccups, dropouts and distortion. Un plugging and re plugging (wait at least 30 seconds, using a power switch to 'on-off' is better) an USB drive or -audio interface often fixes realtime issues too since the drivers are loaded again.

If you use a laptop in might be an idea, as you cannot plugin some other brand PCIe USB 3.0 card, to remove the USB drivers (uninstall them all, also the "HUB" ones, in Device Manager) let Windows re install them again. Further more: NVDIA graphics can cause problems with USB Audio. Switch off acceleration and other gamers' software gizmos, or try to find the LATEST barebone drivers, UNINSTALL the old ones, preferably use a cleanup tool like ATI has at their site). I have an ATI Radeon, but found i had to do the same, and bingo, my "realtime" USB performance was a lot better. Also find the latest Chipset drivers and mainboard BIOS (also for a stand alone PC).

Software: Some VST plugins can cause en extensive load on processing power also due not so efficient programming maybe. F.I. Yamaha Vocaloid is almost unusable because of this on Windows 10 64bit in my situation.

I had a bought Bitdefender 2017 Total Security causing serious problems with USB and my RME USB audio interface, and think they were firewall related. I now bought 360 TS and use it with Zonealarm free (firewall only). You can easily mark a whole (USB) drive as being safe with no need to be scanned. All virus killers seem to think that any external USB drive is a prime suspect for computer crimes aboard, courtesy of Kim Il Jung (oops, no politics). F

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Really beautiful version of this beautiful melody...Well done Dan !

Trygve "Leo" Larsen
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,566
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200