Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
As time allows I have been going thru all the styles, trying out rests, pushes, etc, and am finding some disappointing things...

1. A lot of the distorted guitars have VERY uneven timber when switching chords. For example, RT is going along cranking out a nice, fat sounding A, and then when it goes to E it gets Thin & Wimpy.

2. On a lot of newer styles, when I want to do a ^^, the pushes switch to Mono. crazy

There are other disappointments that I am running across, and as time allows I will give examples. But compared to how all the older tracks were even sounding across the entire track, no matter what chord or extensions that were used, it makes creating a full & complete backing track difficult.

Has anyone else ran across this? One of the styles that has these problems if I remember right is RealTracks Heavy Metal Trio. Pan the guitar to one side & then do some pushes. I don't have Internet at home, and here where I have access I don't have BiaB, so I can not be 100% sure of the RT title, but I AM sure it was a heavy metal trio style.

I will start writing these down in the future, so it can get resolved.....I hope! cool

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Veteran
Veteran
There are these RealTracks Styles that might fit your description:

=HVYME_S.STY. Hvy Mtl Trio, met.solo (120 RT) (R/M)

_METALTR.STY. Metal Trio (80-180)

_TRIPUNK.STY. Simple Punk Trio

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
This might not be the answer you want, but..... when I audition a style and it doesn't fit the job or just doesn't sound good, I look for something else or some other way to accomplish the job.

Quite often, I find I have to think out of the box to get things done like I want. That's where a good DAW and editing comes in handy.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
VideoTrack, one of them might be it....I will have to check when I get home.

Guitarhacker, I do the same, but that is not the point of my post. The point is that the ORIGINAL tracks are flawed, there are artifacts,etc in the product.

Can it be worked around? Yes! grin

SHOULD I have to work around? IMHO, not really. frown There is a reasonable expectation that all the files will "play nice" with each other be correct in timber, tone, pitch, etc. smile

Is it bad enough to ruin my experience with BiaB / PGMusic to the point of not buying any products again? No, not in the least! wink

I just thought 2 things as I ran across these problems...

1. Maybe I got a bum copy. It DOES happen, no problem, I know PGMusic would make it right.

2. If this is happenings to other folks, then maybe we have found a bug / glitch / "a file that slipped thru" that can be fixed in a future update.

And this is why I love Reaper, I have never used a DAW with such an easy way to edit files. I try a few others every now & then to edit a sax solo, or a bass line, etc to work with my track, but I just feel Reaper is quicker AND more logical to me 'lil 'ol mind.... crazy

Thanks for taking the time to reply folks, it is appreciated! cool

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Veteran
Veteran
About this, "the pushes switch to Mono", that sounds like a bug that should be reported to PG Music. It might be the recorded sound sample, but it could just be a programming instruction.

Are you up to date with the March RealTracks patch? Tons of fixes were made.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
jcspro40,

I know what you mean about sometimes a stray chord creeps into a generation that can interrupt the flow of the progression. Because I always take my tracks to a DAW and dress them up there, this is not something that bothers me. That said, though, if BIAB is used in a live setting, which many people do, it would be much better that the progression is kept as smooth as possible.

Program settings which are worth investigating and which might help obtain smoother chord progressions are found under "Song Settings". For those who read this and don't know what I mean, this is found by right clicking on the chord sheet and selecting "Song Settings" from the menu that pops up.

I've labelled the relevant settings on the image below.

• 'Force...simple arrangement' (#1) can be effective as it reduces BIAB's decision making when choosing chords.
  • 'Ignore slash root...' (#2) can help but only applies if you have chords such as G/F# (which is saying 'G chord played with an F# bass).
  • 'Avoid transposition...' (#2) is one that I nearly always use. Having this selected reduces BIAB's freewill and forces it to look for exact chords and not 'close' chords that are then transposed with elastique.
  • 'Natural arrangement' (#2) is new to BIAB 2017. By selecting this option, BIAB's decision making is increased such that it looks for ways to create the best sounding chord progression.

I don't know how these options will work with the tracks you mention but they are worth experimenting with.

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
smoother arrangement.JPG (60.29 KB, 310 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
It could be the style itself. The reason I say that is because I don't think Metal musicians are being used to record the Metal RealTracks. I make that assumption based on I used to play hard rock and some metal and still listen to some of that music and the Metal and Heavy Rock Real Styles, in my opinion, are simply not done very well. I wonder if there just wasn't enough attention given to them. And, it's probably a very a tough genre to cover and get it right.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hey Matt, I just updated at the start of the month, but after you mentioned that I went back and seen that there was a new update. This update fixed the problem of the shots-holds, but not the audio problem. frown

I brought an example over, but the whole flash drive got corrupted somehow, including a few full tunes I had to upload mad (it REALLY sucks not having net at home!) I will use my potable HDD next week....

I think I am not making myself clear on the problem....

It is not a styles issue, or a chord issue, it is an AUDIO issue. All you guitar players, get a sound you are happy with and record a 12 bar blues. Now record it again, turning up the mid's about 1/4, drop the bass 1/4, and kill any presence in your settings. Now, place this track beside your original one, and do this...

On every 4 chord, switch to the adjusted track...JUST on the 4 chord. Make sure it is volume matched. It is this type of audio glitch that I am talking about. I have heard it on mostly guitar, but the example I brought over also had a B3 doing it. I have also noticed that it is mostly on distorted - overdriven sounds that do NOT use Amplitube for effects.

I WILL get an example to post by next weekend, and I DO appreciated all the suggestions & help, you folks rock! cool

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
))) 1. A lot of the distorted guitars have VERY uneven timber when switching chords. For example, RT is going along cranking out a nice, fat sounding A, and then when it goes to E it gets Thin & Wimpy.

That heavy metal guitar issue is solved by using the avoid transpositions checkbox as Noel has illustrated. This assumes you are in a guitar key to begin with like E,A,G,D,C. If not, Another approach is to use the DI direct input guitar version and then apply the distortion via amplitude or another guitar amp simulator in biab or your DAW.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks for the info Mr. Gannon, but it is just not the metal that is doing it, standard rock, etc also has a couple. I will make it a priority to get examples up next weekend.

I tried to load BiaB on this system where I have net access, but this laptop just don't like it for some reason even tho it's specs are well above what is needed.

Thanks Again everyone for the ideas & help.

Veteran
Veteran
Try having Band-in-a-Box build the complete song file prior to begin playing the song file.

You can change the program's default behavior by selecting "Options", "RealTracks" (or Ctrl-E) and removing the check marks from "Speed up generation of RealTracks" and "High Quality Tempo/Pitch Stretching". See screenshot below.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Cntrl-E.jpg (230.02 KB, 236 downloads)

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
M
M
Is the "High Quality Tempo/Pitch Stretching" just for the preview and not affecting the rendered tracks? If checking this box means a higher quality render, then I would want it checked before rendering, so I wanted to ask to make sure.

Also, where is this DI choice located? (I happen to be on a Mac but just wanted the thereabouts as I haven't found it yet). Thank you!

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Is the "High Quality Tempo/Pitch Stretching" just for the preview and not affecting the rendered tracks? If checking this box means a higher quality render, then I would want it checked before rendering, so I wanted to ask to make sure.

It affects everything when set.

Also, where is this DI choice located? (I happen to be on a Mac but just wanted the thereabouts as I haven't found it yet). Thank you!

di choice is a checkbox in the RealTracks picker. When you select a RealTracks that has DI available, you can select the checkbox to force it to generate a DI version (no effects, just raw guitar input)

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
OK, I ran across another example of what I was trying to describe. Give the following example a listen-to and pay attention to the following areas of the time line...

:10, :16, :24, and strong at :29

https://soundcloud.com/e_buy_sell/bb-audio-problem-5-20-17

The clip is DI rendered and at it's native tempo, from a song I was playing around with, which utilized the following RealTrack...

Dreamy Pop Electric Guitar RealTracks Demo BBGuitar_Real 1529 Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopPowerBrightA-B Ev 120_SingleRender_DragDrop

The following track that was used in the same song was also exhibiting the same problem, but not to the extent of the example....

Dreamy Pop Electric Guitar RealTracks Demo BBGuitar_Real 2752 Guitar, Electric, Rhythm RockHeavyShuffleChopMurray Sw 120_SingleRender_DragDrop

It sounds like a phase problem, or a mic has been kicked, etc....but it is NOT about chord voicing's, or timing, etc. This is plainly an audio problem within the raw track recording itself that IS noticeable during mixing, or listening to the full song.

I hope this helps! cool

B
B
wow - that hurts!

Veteran
Veteran
Hi bass333 and welcome. Every once in awhile we users find something like this, and it's most often some mislinked file (among the thousands of RealTracks with tens of thousands of files). We report it and it gets fixed in a subsequent release, usually the next one right away.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, like Matt mentioned above, don't put too much gravity on this. There's a big team of very dedicated users who all work cooperatively to resolve issues. It will get sorted out.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
About this, "the pushes switch to Mono", that sounds like a bug that should be reported to PG Music. It might be the recorded sound sample, but it could just be a programming instruction.
A re you up to date with the March RealTracks patch? Tons of fixes were made.

Some differing RTs i noticed also jump to the same old "hold" files, sometimes really noticeable. Just reported another RT, 2675, with PG that doesn't cope right in an arrangement, when set to half-time. A quite often needed feature IMO on styles above 140 BPM when you import a RT with a lower BPM count. If you set one bar to 2/4 count, and then back to 4/4 after it this RT one (or all?) skips a whole measure. Annoying ... -F

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I am sure that the issues WILL get fixed, PGMusic has always been on the ball once a problem is pointed out.

The fix I installed a few weeks back seemed to to fix a majority of the problems that made me start this thread, so it is only a matter of time. What we as users need to do is when we find a problem, try to grab as much info as possible to give the crew.

Tho I am not glad I found this example, I AM glad that I can post a real audio demo of that problem....it is hard to describe sound in words on a forum! LOL!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,605
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY
38,496 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 194