#414539 05/21/17 03:35 PM
Beginners Forum
L
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
L
Hello all

I'm relatively new with BB, but coming along nicely, especially with the help of the forum veterans. My latest issue is hopefully just a setting somewhere but here it is.

The song is created, and a notation lead sheet using a midi keyboard. All tracks play but there is no notation track. The notation is there but no audio track to go with it. There is also no melody or soloist tracks up on the menu bar where the other instruments are showing. I know this is where the notion lead usually plays through. It's as though the melody and soloist tracks are hidden or turned off.

I'm sure it's a simple "switch" that I'm missing, but all suggestions are appreciated.

Larry

BIAB 2017 UltraPlusPak
Win 10

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Are you perhaps asking why some RealTracks do not have notation? You can tell at a glance: those with notation have an underscore (either short or long) in the track name. There is also an indicator in the RealTracks picker.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm not sure if I understand your problem, but if you're using midi, have you loaded the instrument patch for each track? You should still have a melody and soloist track even if nothing is assigned to them.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Larry, give us all the details you can please.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
L
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
L
Ok here goes

I created a song using the default instruments which I assigned real tracks to....piano, bass, piano, guitar and some strings......simple enough

I then wanted to add a lead sheet for the tune's melody using the notation feature. I chose a simplified real track...."new age piano".

The song and notation completed and played ok, but when I retrieved the song at a later time, there was no audio (or track) for the notation....even though it was visible after hitting the notation button. The melody and soloist tracks were also missing from the menu bar across the top

I 'm sure it's user error but strange

Larry

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
To be able to enter and save your own melody (or harmony), you need to enter MIDI. RealTracks cannot play your choice of notes.

The Melody and Soloist tracks are the only ones that do not regenerate (although they can be frozen).

If you see notation from a RealTrack, it is of value only for study. You cannot change the notation to change the RealTrack.

Does this help?

Beginners Forum
L
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
L
Thanks Matt.

I understand the part about not being able to edit real tracks and its notation. The issue I'm having is not being able to locate the soloist and harmony tracks after the song is created. They have disappeared. They are turned off somehow and don't show in he menu bar. I'm sure when they are visible I will be able to successfully use either one for the melody line with notation.

Something simple I'm sure......just don't see it yet

Larry

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
The melody and soloist tracks radio buttons should always be visible; however, if you assign a RealTrack to them, they will take on the name of the instrument of the RealTrack and won't be called Melody/Soloist anymore.

From left to right, you should see (using the track legacy names):
Master, Bass, Piano, Drums, Guitar, Strings, Melody, Soloist, Thru, Audio

Are you saying the Melody and Soloist radio buttons aren't there.

Likewise, they should be in the mixer, and when you go into notation, you can choose which track to display there.

It would help if you could provide a screen shot to show exactly what you are talking about.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
After you add the melody, did you save the song? Did the file extension change from "song.sgu" to "song.mgu" when you saved the song file that has the melody?

If the song has a melody the extension will begin with M (otherwise it’s S). The second letter of the song extension is G to indicate it is a song file. The third letter of the file extension is the style used in the song. 1-9 and A-N for the original built in midi styles and U for a User style.

Example: My Song Title.MGU
The M tells us that a Melody is recorded.
The G is always present in song names telling us that it is a song.
The U tells us that the style is a user style.

Example: My Song Title.SG1
The S indicates that no melody is recorded.
The G is always present in song names telling us that it is a song.
The 1 indicates original midi style #1, which is Jazz Swing.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Yep, if you just re-opened the SGU file, you won't have the melody or soloist, because by definition SGU files have no melody or soloist. You need to open the MGU file. I wonder if that's where the problem lies.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

Beginners Forum
L
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
L
John and Jim

Yes....problem solved. I did assign RTs to both the Soloist and Melody tracks hence that's why they disappeared after I saved and reopened.. I also am using the sgu file instead of mgu. All that being understood.......can you add more than 5 instruments to a song, and if so how to do it without using the soloist and melody tracks for RTs. (I'm not ignoring the user guide/manual....just not that explicit)

Thanks again guys.

Larry

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
A BIAB song will have up to five auto-generated tracks, defined by the style selected (traditionally referred to as bass, piano, drums, guitar, and strings) which can have any combination of RealTracks, RealDrums, MIDI tracks, or MIDI Supertracks.

The Melody Track and Soloist Track are traditionally used for you to enter MIDI data, but you can overlay a RealTrack on those as well. You can also have an audio track, but it is static it won't change with any changes to the chord grid.

That's it in BIAB. If you need more tracks than that, you'll need to move to RealBand or some other DAW (because you can drag and drop tracks from BIAB to other DAWs; however, you can't regenerate them in other DAWS other than RealBand).

John

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Larry,

You can easily change the instrument playing on any track at any time by accessing the Bar Settings Screen. You access the Bar Settings screen by pressing the F5 key while your cursor is at the bar where you want the change to first happen. Note the name of the new instrument will not show up as a patch on the mixer.

In the screenshot below I've opened the Bar Settings screen, clicked on the RealTracks button and am getting ready to open the RealTracks Picker screen to insert a RealTracks onto the Guitar track at bar 6.

Think of each track as a musician. You may see one musician play both fiddle and mandolin but you will not the musician play mandolin and fiddle at the same time. Same in Band-in-a-Box. Each track can play multiple instruments but each track can play only one instrument at a time.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Bar Settings.jpg (198.95 KB, 44 downloads)

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Each track can have up to 10 instrument changes I believe. BIAB has some pre-configured medley instruments choices. Open RealTracks and filter your search for Medley

Note that you'll find bar based instrument changes for 4 bars and 8 bars and also for part marker changes. You'll also see some medleys with silence inserted.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<<< That's it in BIAB. If you need more tracks than that, you'll need to move to RealBand or some other DAW (because you can drag and drop tracks from BIAB to other DAWs; however, you can't regenerate them in other DAWS other than RealBand). >>>

There is an old school mixing technique that I use to work around the seven track BIAB limit and it provides a total of 15 tracks that can be rendered at once.

It's very useful for songwriting because of the much faster generation of a BIAB song compared to the RB generation. Plus, the StylePicker BIAB feature to play a style over my chord progression is not included in the RB Stylepicker. This technique allows me to audition many different styles and the hear individual style's instruments playing in that particular style over my chord chart very quickly. My train of thought can remain on songwriting and structure and not be interrupted by having to stop, open another program and alter my workflow to accommodate another software program.

There are a lot of old school mixers here on the forum. I wonder if anyone can guess how I get the extra tracks?

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195