Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I've said it before, Win 10 security is better than older versions.

https://theintercept.com/2017/04/14/leaked-nsa-malware-threatens-windows-users-around-the-world/

Note paragraph 2:

..capable of breaking into — and in some cases seizing control of — computers running version of the Windows operating system earlier than the most recent Windows 10

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Good information Bob!

I was surprised to read that over 65% of the on-line computer are running the vulnerable Windows versions! That's a lot of computer just asking to be infected. I keep all of our Internet computers updated; they all run Win 10 Pro.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
I understand Microsoft has a security update for Win7. Is this true?

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Most of this was patched in March with MS updates (Win 7 and 8).

Personally. I think they (MS) used the term 'most' just as a CYA thing.

MS delayed a February patch/update because of 'significant security concerns'. I'm pretty sure this is what they were talking about. I give them credit for doing their best to nip it in the bud.

/I really expected some Linux/Mac users to post in this by now <grin>

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msrc/2017/04/14/protecting-customers-and-evaluating-risk/

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The point of the article I posted, plus other articles, plus what our IT guy told me at the office is patching Win 7 doesn't help with stuff like this.

That's what a whole new OS is all about. And it's not just the OS it's new hardware. Some security is part of the CPU that a new OS is able to coordinate with. Patching an old OS in no way brings it up to the same level as the latest OS.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
The point of my link was these referenced hacks were patched long ago, and according to MS, if you run W7 or above (and use updates) these were patched for all 'supported OS', most of them a long time ago. It states that pretty clearly. One of them was addressed prior to Vista. I trust Tech Net; many many people in the security field do.

This particular trending news item didn't concern me too much once I learned that it was handled.
Now, if I was still running an unsupported OS like XP, I'd be a bit more concerned. MS did say three of the hacks simply don't work on 'supported OS' so I think they may really be saying 'those three work on OS prior to W7. We don't support those OS anymore, so no fix'..

Yes newer is always more secure (I agree with your main point); this is usually the root reason there is always a 'newer' in the first place. But these particular items shouldn't cause a panic upgrade to W10.

/hope we're still friends, I'm not trying to be combative. FWIW I'm a 'sysadmin' on servers that lots of people rely on for a living, so when I saw this originally I naturally checked it out. Thought I should share my findings.

Last edited by rharv; 04/19/17 01:01 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I totally appreciate your input, I'm hardly the expert in this. But, I think you saw my other thread asking for suggestions about setting up my own security for my side business and what the IT company we use at the office told me about Win 10. And their advice about using Edge instead of IE or other browsers. I was told Edge is different than IE and more secure. Anyway they are adamant, if you're concerned about security you need to upgrade to 10 and Edge. I can't say how true that is, just passing it along.

Bob

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I've been out of it with some medical issues but I'm back now. We've all heard of this recent ransomware attack a couple of weeks ago. That was bad enough especially when it was announced that MS had patched this back in mid March. Everybody who was on automatic updates was already protected. This hack caught the people who thought they were too smart to keep on top of it.

Again guys, trying to outsmart yourself by somehow insisting that you must control when Win10 updates happen is looking for trouble imho. Now this:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/security/a26611/new-malware-worse-than-wannacry/

I knew that NSA leak was going to bite us all and according to this article it has. As a former intel analyst somebody needs to go to jail over stuff like this but hey, what do I know?

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
I'm still waiting for a good update to DOS 3.1

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Good information Bob! I was surprised to read that over 65% of the on-line computer are running the vulnerable Windows versions! That's a lot of computer just asking to be infected. I keep all of our Internet computers updated; they all run Win 10 Pro.

So far so good for Windows 10 LoL; just had this nice one, don't fall for it, it can be that serious malware is involved, locking your computer. PS you'll need adwcleaner_7.0.1.0.exe from malwarebytes to remove it running in safe mode. -F

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
PC-Ran-into-a-Problem-Scam.jpg (18.17 KB, 72 downloads)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Time to resurrect this almost two year old thread because of this:

https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/change-your-passwords-617-million-accounts-were-stolen-across-16-different-sites/

Reading this reminded me of this thread so I did a search asking the question "Is Win 10 more secure than Win 7?" and found this:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-vs-windows-7-microsofts-newer-os-is-almost-twice-as-secure/

All I can say is wow, it's even better than I thought. 50% better. Now, some will look at the numbers .04 infected with Win 10 vs .08 for Win 7 and think that's so small, I won't worry about it. Ok, that's a choice. Keep reading this article and it validates virtually everything I was told by our IT company.

Just FYI.

Bob

Expert
Expert
interesting read, thnx

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195