Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#415233 - 05/26/17 10:25 AM [User Showcase] Natural Partners
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
I grew up listening to a lot of songwriting story tellers.
John Prine, Steve Goodman, Danny O'Keefe, Randy Newman.
Jim Croce, Paul Simon, Kris Kristofferson, Billy Joel.
Cat Stevens, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Bruce Sprinsteen.
Joni Mitchell, Jerry Jeff Walker, Janis Ian, Gordon Lightfoot.
Tom Waits. Harry Chapin. (The masters...)

It was as much about writing the story as writing the song...

In the late 70's in Florida there was a rash of predator "dance instructors".
A plague that fed on the life savings of aging widows.
Dancehall gigolos who convinced women looking for companionship that they were loved.
Signing them to ever-longer contracts and draining their bank accounts.
(The newspapers did exposes on them and eventually they were run out of business...or underground).

Here is a story.

NATURAL PARTNERS

what have we here, who's this lovely young thing
with the free lesson ad in her hand
don't tell me you're not belle of every dance floor you grace
let's try one and see where we stand

we're the young at heart school of dance
we're happy to have you aboard
why dear mrs. foster, or lorraine if i may
you're a natural, shall we try one more

how 'bout a kiss for the queen of the ball
   how 'bout the progress you've made
   stick with me, love, we'll out-dance 'em all
   you've got a gift we can't afford to waste

lorraine, come with me, i must show you off
mr. casey, i think we've got quite a find
is there any room left in the upper class
i've got a contract somewhere she can sign

lorraine, i'm so glad you decided to stay
natural partners the way that we are
you're so easy to lead, put yourself in my hands
we'll dance all the way to the stars

hey, dancehall johnny, i hear you struck oil again
man, the contracts you land with that smile
six months, not bad, think she'll fall for it all
i'd be a rich man if i had your style

what have we here, who's this lovely young thing
with the free lesson ad in her hand...

Dance music provided by...
RealTracks in style: 366:Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065
RealTracks in style: ~~365:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~2200:Guitar, Nylon, Background CountryBrent Ev 085
RealDrums in Song: BossaRockPerc^1-a:Congas , b:Percussion Busy
RealTracks in song: 2337:Violin, Background, PopHigh Ev 085 (1TrackStringSection)
RealTracks in song: 2338:Violin, Background, PopLow Ev 085 (1TrackStringSection)
RealTracks in song: 1856:Cello, Background PopCountry Ev 085
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2058:Strings, Rhythm CelticAir Ev 085
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2066:Piano, Rhythm NewAgeAnswers Ev16 110
RealTracks in song: 1850:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopShiningGrittyMuted Ev 120
guitar loop from Studio One Pro.

Comments welcome and encouraged.
Tell a story.

floyd

#415241 - 05/26/17 11:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: Natural Partners [Re: floyd jane]
BlueAttitude Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Sounds like something Jim Croce might have written back in the day.
Great storytelling and I love your vocal, very expressive!
I like the fx you added to the vocal during the bridge too, very effective.
Good stuff as usual, enjoyed the listen!

#415254 - 05/26/17 02:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: Natural Partners [Re: floyd jane]
44kfl Offline
Expert

Loc: Middletown, PA.
man, this seems to be sneak up on ya good

a very enjoyable listen as the story unfolds

I'll let Noel break down all the genius going on.

this would be a hard assignment if we were given this

subject to write about, and yet you made it brilliant

love the tracks, very good vocals

love that the song writers listed here are also ones

that I love - some more than others, and I would have to add JT

great song man

Kenny

#415261 - 05/26/17 03:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: Natural Partners [Re: floyd jane]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi Floyd.

What an excellent narrative that was. Cleverly told, with some historical accuracy, a beautiful literary style and a story which draws you in and holds your attention all the way through, yet with an underlying touch of sadness.

In fact, I got so wrapped up in the story that I almost missed how good the production was.

And it was a great arrangement - loved the "Radio" voice bit.

I've always liked your more rocky songs up until now, but this is up there with the best.

ROG.

#415272 - 05/26/17 04:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Natural Partners [Re: floyd jane]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Floyd,

A very original story idea that you`ve fleshed out with details that are telling. You learnt a ton from those idols of your youth.
The best part of this song for me is that you nailed the " voice " of the narrator (sleaze with charm!) and made it so believable.
That phone-call bridge is a surprise and really well done.
Crystal clear production and vocals as good as we expect.
One of my Floyd favourites.

Robert

#415303 - 05/26/17 09:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: Natural Partners [Re: floyd jane]
critter Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Wisconsin
Another winner from FJ, keep up the great tunes!!!!!

#415322 - 05/27/17 01:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: Natural Partners [Re: floyd jane]
animarorecords Online   content
Journeyman

Loc: Aichi, Japan
Hello, floyd

Your interpretation of this song is really wonderful.
Beautiful melody soothes my heart.
The chord progression (G - G on F# - Em - Em on D - C - D7 -G) is also my favorite.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#415326 - 05/27/17 01:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Natural Partners [Re: floyd jane]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
floyd,

I've just had a listen. The track is really masterfully put together. The introduction reminded me of James Blunt's "You're Beautiful" intro. You certainly know how to tweak those dials and slide those sliders so that a powerfully rich mix greets the listeners' ears. Adding to this, your performance is first class.

In relation to the topic material... your song has caused me a great deal of reflection. I found it quite a moving journey. The topic of greed preying on loneliness has left me with feelings of disquiet and sadness. I don't know how you did that and I envy that skill of yours that allowed you to accomplish this. It's a credit to your songwriting ability that your song has had this effect to me. In all honesty, I'm presently puzzled and I'm going to be thinking a great deal about how you managed to engage my feelings to this extent. The music and the lyrics were spectacular.

You have definitely, 100%, conquered writing both the story and the song.

Another outstanding work for your catalogue!

All the best,
Noel

#415338 - 05/27/17 05:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: Natural Partners [Re: floyd jane]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Absolutely awesome write, arrangement and performance.

Charlie

#415345 - 05/27/17 07:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: Natural Partners [Re: floyd jane]
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
This was very cool song Floyd I swore I was watching a movie while listening to the lyrics . Backtrack was so complimentary to your vocal Well done

#415365 - 05/27/17 11:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: Natural Partners [Re: floyd jane]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
Hey Floyd,

Great song.

In terms of production, overall sound and relationship to storytelling giants this reminded me a lot of Dan Fogelberg.

So much so, I feel I could go to one of this albums, put on the needle and hear his.

Probably one of your best productions yet, and very 70s in its sound and arrangement--and I mean that as a high compliment.

Awesome job.

#415400 - 05/27/17 03:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: Natural Partners [Re: floyd jane]
PeterF Offline
Expert

Loc: Sydney Australia
Floyd,

Great song and vocal excellent story telling - I can hear the Fogelberg that David mentions.
From the production point of view I see you've used 2 violins a cello and a midi string section and it sounds really nice - well done!
Gets better each play.

Peter

#415446 - 05/27/17 10:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Natural Partners [Re: floyd jane]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Really excellent delivery here Floyd. As usual, your arrangements are first class, and this is no exception.

Your intention to tell a story has certainly been achieved.

Consider this story 'told'

BIAB, RB 2017(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#415447 - 05/27/17 11:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: Natural Partners [Re: Scott C]
Al-David Online   content
Expert

Loc: Alabama, USA
Originally Posted By: Scott C
This was very cool song Floyd I swore I was watching a movie while listening to the lyrics . Backtrack was so complimentary to your vocal Well done

Alan here - Di is not feeling well
Scott pretty much took the thoughts straight from my mind. This is a three-and-a-half minute movie that tells a two-hour story - and tells it superbly. Your writing created all the images necessary - camera not needed.

You're a musical wizard. It seems all you have to do is pick up a pen and magic ink takes over. You open your mouth and vocal excellence falls out with no effort. You turn a "knob" on the mixing gear and suddenly some words and notes become an audio masterpiece. By the way - I liked the song!

The name that came to mind after the first verse and chorus was Tom T. Hall, probably the greatest story-teller in many decades.

Another "Floyd song".

Alan (I'm sure Di would want me to say "Hi" on her behalf)

Our Website: http://doubletrouble-music.wix.com/our-songs

#415472 - 05/28/17 04:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: Natural Partners [Re: BlueAttitude]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Sounds like something Jim Croce might have written back in the day.
Great storytelling and I love your vocal, very expressive!
I like the fx you added to the vocal during the bridge too, very effective.
Good stuff as usual, enjoyed the listen!

Thanks, Dave. The bridge was a "fun diversion" - finding an effect that separated the commentary from another party... There don't seem to be any "new Jim Croces" these days that I am aware of. It seems to be a "lost art"...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Updates - #TipTuesday

We often post an announcement when a new patch update is available for Band-in-a-Box, however there's another way of finding out if there's a new patch available for your installation of Band-in-a-Box without ever leaving the program!

In Band-in-a-Box 2017, simply choose the option to "Check for Updates" within the Band-in-a-Box menu - not only will the program list any new updates that are available, you also have the option to download and install the patch without even leaving the program!

Article - The Evolution of Quinn Bachand

Ottawa Life Magazine has highlighted Quinn Bachand in the recent article & interview The Evolution of Quinn Bachand - give it a read!

If you're a fan of our RealTracks Sets, you've probably heard some of Quinn Bachand's playing! Quinn has been a RealTracks Artist with us since the release of RealTracks Set 104: Celtic Jigs & Reels with Band-in-a-Box® Version 2011.

Listen to demos of all Quinn's RealTracks when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio page.

Quinn's other contribution to PG Music (so far...) is the recently released Celtic Guitar Video Master Class Series, which covers techniques, chord theory, voicings and also walks you through 17 "must-know" tunes. Learn more...

User Tips - How to Add More Audio & Midi Tracks to Band-in-a-Box

If you've been looking for a way to add more audio and MIDI tracks to your Band-in-a-Box song, check out forum user Pipeline's helpful forum post: How to Add More Audio & Midi Tracks to Band-in-a-Box

Have your own program tips & tricks to share? Join the conversation today when you register on our forum!

Eric Blackmon Tutorial Video - 2.8 Million Views!

Eric Blackmon uses Band-in-a-Box® accompaniment with his online tutorials, and has just let us know that his first Band-in-a-Box® featured video tutorial, How To Play An Electric Guitar Solo Without Even THINKING About Scales #1 In Am has more than 2.8 Million views!

Check out the video: How To Play An Electric Guitar Solo Without Even THINKING About Scales #1 In Am

Watch all of Eric's videos on his YouTube channel.

New Band-in-a-Box® Xtra Styles PAKs Quick Start Video!

Wondering how to get started with your Xtra Styles PAKs? You're in luck... we have created a Band-in-a-Box® Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Video to help!

Check it out: Video: Band-in-a-Box® Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start

Learn more about the just-released Xtra Styles PAK 3! Listen to demos of these 160 new RealStyles at www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?pak=all&os=win#pak3.

Don't forget... the Xtra Styles PAK 3 is on sale for just $29 during our Xtra Styles special, which ends July 31, 2017!

Plus... if you don't have any Xtra Styles yet, you'll be happy to hear that you can purchase all three sets (485 RealStyles) and the 2017 49-PAK for only $129 during our Xtra Styles special.

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2017 for Windows Build 466 Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows customers can install the latest patch update (Build 466) here: www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#466

Fixed: Rendering to MP3 might fail with error "cannot get stream size".
Fixed: Rendering to MP3 will cause Band-in-a-Box to crash if choosing "MPEG Layer-3" as the codec.
Fixed: The style name and description would not be displayed immediately after bootup.
Fixed: The total choruses button should show the current chorus during playback.
Fixed: There were various errors (eg notes not transposed) in the Chord Builder popup menus.
Fixed: When demoing RealDrums in the RealDrums Picker dialog, the demo would not start at the beginning.
Fixed: When exporting a MIDI file, RealTracks would generate even if "Save RealCharts in MIDI files" was disabled.
Fixed: When using the * wildcard for chord type in the Search-Replace Chords dialog, all of the resulting chords would have their type changed to 6.

(Note: This is a cumulative update patch, which works from any 2017 build.)

User Tips - Entering Melody

Our Forum is packed with helpful posts - especially the Tips & Tricks section, where other program users share their own tips for working with PG Music Inc. software.

Like this recent post by Icelander: Always enter your melody in as midi - check it out!

Have your own tips & tricks to share? Join the conversation today when you register on our forum!

Forum Stats
26109 Members
49 Forums
46279 Topics
376427 Posts

Max Online: 2283 @ 08/25/16 03:52 PM
Newest Members
balder, skydiver, Rollo Crisis, John Gaunt, fernandomota13

26109 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 155
Al-David 139