Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
J
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
J
I’m searching for a convincing and reliable method to get vocal harmony with BIAB during live performances. My tunes cover the spectrum from jazz, country, pop, Broadway, and whatever. I found some forum discussion on this issue several years back and the conclusions seemed iffy and technical at that time----most of which, I didn’t understand. Has this issue improved with the 2017 upgrade? In the “hardware” section, PG Music recommends the use of the TC Helicon products. I’m wondering if anyone is using such gear with BIAB and how well does it work in live settings? I’m not sure how to connect such a vocal harmony box to the laptop. Furthermore, the midi output channel that’s mentioned------how well does it work? Does every chord in the song arrangement get transmitted accurately? Would jazz chords be sent and work just as well as basic triads? Do these vocal harmony units pick up moving, passing chords? I wish there was a good tutorial on this matter, showing step by step how to set up a unit, such as the Voice Live 3 with BIAB. I’d appreciate any comments from those with experience with these outboard units and their use with BIAB.

L
Expert
Expert
L
I use VoiceLive 2 when I stream using BIAB 2017 live. I have no issues but it took me months to work out how to integrate it. I use midi commands from BIAB on the soloist track. I have a VoiceLive 3 Extreme, but I've yet to get round to setting it up. It takes a lot of fiddling to get a harmonizer to sound real - if it ever does. Having said that, I love what it does for me. Also, they are so much more than just a harmonizer. It is my vocal sound engineer, de essing, compressing (all intelligently) Autotune, delay, reverb, doubling, fx effects etc, choirs, harmony, acoustic guitar effects and that's the VoiceLive 2. The voiceLive 3 Extreme is a whole different ball game, automated effects on your vocals, guitar whilst playing your wave file backing tracks inside it and and recording your show. Imagine you, your mic, guitar/keyboard and Voicelive 3 straight into a PA. No need for BIAB, a computer or anything else. Looping and electric guitar multi effects also with automation. These are big beasts with incredible power, but if you think BIAB is a steep learning curve...... grin

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Expert
Expert

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: lambada
I use VoiceLive 2 when I stream using BIAB 2017 live. I have no issues but it took me months to work out how to integrate it. I use midi commands from BIAB on the soloist track. I have a VoiceLive 3 Extreme, but I've yet to get round to setting it up. It takes a lot of fiddling to get a harmonizer to sound real - if it ever does. Having said that, I love what it does for me. Also, they are so much more than just a harmonizer. It is my vocal sound engineer, de essing, compressing (all intelligently) Autotune, delay, reverb, doubling, fx effects etc, choirs, harmony, acoustic guitar effects and that's the VoiceLive 2. The voiceLive 3 Extreme is a whole different ball game, automated effects on your vocals, guitar whilst playing your wave file backing tracks inside it and and recording your show. Imagine you, your mic, guitar/keyboard and Voicelive 3 straight into a PA. No need for BIAB, a computer or anything else. Looping and electric guitar multi effects also with automation. These are big beasts with incredible power, but if you think BIAB is a steep learning curve...... grin

Lambada is right on with his comments. I have Voice Live Touch and have used it with BIAB. Based on my experience I could not say anything better than has been said here. The VLT is older and smaller than the VoiceLive 2 or the Voice Live 3 (also a lot cheaper), but it too is a "beast". Lots of features that need to be tamed. I made a video about how to install and work with this in BIAB. If you cannot find it here in the forum I will look for it and update the link.

Otherwise, two things:
1) I was never able to really integrate it into my live BIAB show. Too complex and not enough time to master it to the level necessary. Although, it sure was fun working with it at least to the level I did.
2) It helps greatly if you are a good singer to begin with. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
http://www.tc-helicon.com/en/products/voicetone-harmony-g-xt/

I have one of these, and have used it live. As a third vocal it's passable, along with two live voices, but it's still artificial sounding.

A single act using one of these sounds really cheezy. Yuck. eek

Regards,

Bob

L
Expert
Expert
L
cry cry cry I agree to an extent about it being cheezy, but I believe if you put the same kind of time into it as you do into say mastering or mixing tracks you can get some amazing harmonies. Remember, harmonies are just a small part of what they do and should only come on for short periods. TC Helicon stuff also provides a built in sound engineer working away in the background. Imagine your trying to sing a modern song. Voicelive can provide Hardtune, Tempo matched Delays, Doubling Harmonies and Reverbs all for as little as one bar. Pretty cool.

I agree, if you have a dodgy / untrained voice, nothing can help except perhaps Autotune or a singing teacher! eek Luckily, most punters don't seem to be able to tell a good from a bad voice grin but even a good voice can sound grim without treatment live or in the studio. smirk

Somewhere there is a video (poor quality) of me showing how I integrate VoiceLive 2 for streaming/live. It is time consuming and there is a steep learning curve learning to use a harmonizer well. Not something I can do live. It needs to be automated.

I'm happy to do another, better quality video if wanted, but it's a bit of a niche interest for BIAB forum members.

Last edited by lambada; 06/02/17 06:46 PM.

BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: lambada

I'm happy to do another, better quality video if wanted, but it's a bit of a niche interest for BIAB forum members.

There have been a couple of us working the BIAB\TCHelicon combo over the years. Even though my VLT is in the closet, I am only looking for an excuse to bring it out again. grin
Regarding setup in BIAB this might give you a clue.

The Surface 3 with VLT

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
VLTand Surface3.JPG (9.87 KB, 283 downloads)
Last edited by MusicStudent; 06/03/17 05:49 AM.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

L
Expert
Expert
L
Thanks so much Dan for the video. I've not seen that one before, and I've never seriously considered controlling my harmonies from Voicelive 2 from BIAB rather than from my guitar playing. However, it would make a lot of sense, because quite often I play lead or don't want to crowd out BIAB with my rhythm guitar playing. I can still leave my automation in BIAB as I also drive the Nova guitar effects from BIAB. It might also work better live. Ironically, I have Ian's VoiceLive 2 editor and will be upgrading to the 3x one. It's a fabulous piece of software and would be great live as it's very easy to use. It's also great for making changes to the default settings on some patches, which frankly, often need them.

You've made my day with that video!

BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
J
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
J
Yes, thanks for all the comments and the video, which helps understand a complicated (to me) process. I was thinking about getting the Voice Live 3 Extreme, or waiting until the next upgrade. I suppose I could use it with my midi keyboard and DAW in home recording. However, live use with BIAB is my objective. I’ve got the TC Helicon Harmony Singer----the small blue pedal; however, I don’t like being tied to the guitar chords to drive the harmonies, since I often play fills, turnarounds, etc. (while singing) and may not be sitting on the needed chord at the moment. That’s why I’m looking for BIAB to supply the chord changes. This whole topic seems obscure for singers with BIAB. Maybe PG Music should give it some attention.

Veteran
Veteran
Glad the video was helpful. I get it right every once in a while. grin

L
Expert
Expert
L
Maybe the Harmony Singer can be driven by BIAB.

Last edited by lambada; 06/05/17 06:21 PM.

BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Journeyman
Journeyman
Whatever product you are using (TC Helicon or other), there are some limitations you must bear in mind.

1) When using «Ouput Chords» in BB most units can only «understand» 4-note chords. So C7b5 is OK, but C13 not.

2) The other voices always move in the direction as your own voice. So either ascending or decending, but no counter movement.

3) When your voice moves up (or down) a half note, the other voices will remain unchanged, unless you enter passing harmonies. E.g. If you sing E, F, G in the key of C and the chord is e.g. Cmaj7. The other voices will remain the same, when you move from E to F, unless you enter e.g. Dm7 as your chord.

In the past I have used this setup to try to sing like The Four Freshmen, all by myself, and keeping in mind all the limitations I have mentioned above, I had to addept my chordsheet a lot, but the end results sounded great.

Brgds,
Tonnie

Last edited by tonnie; 06/07/17 07:50 AM.
J
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
J
Continued follow-up, with observations:
1. I’ll try the input of Harmony Singer with BIAB, even tho’ it’s only a ¼” mono analog input.
2. Does anyone know about the Voice Live 3 and the “Extreme”----can they really determine the chord changes when using the auxiliary input, with a previously mixed audio track (or BIAB song) and provide the correct harmony? Some of the videos I’ve seen seem to suggest that. I thought that could only be done via midi.
3. Following Tonnie’s comments on limitations-----Is the technology static at this point, or is there room for improvement for BIAB to provide an output (of some kind) that would allow vocal harmony for every nuance of the chords on the song chord sheet? Hence, Four Freshmen-type harmonies, if that’s what someone wanted to do? In which case, that should really show the potential of units like the Voice Live 3.

L
Expert
Expert
L
I haven't tried it on the 3 or 3 Ext, but ever since the Voicelive 2, they have been offering audio output as a harmonizing option. I don't think you would have a problem. The Extreme is expensive, but it provides a looper, guitar effects, playback of audio files with automation of effects and recording via USB. The only negative I read was that it was a bit fragile. Again, mine is still in the box, so I can't comment on anything yet. Be careful you don't buy the fancy vocal/guitar cable (which i did) as it comes in the package. grin I waited and waited for the 4, but who knows when.... I'd be tempted to go along to a friendly shop and try it out or contact TC Helicon.

Last edited by lambada; 06/10/17 03:17 AM.

BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
L
Expert
Expert
L
Hi Dan. Two quick questions. Do you have a copy of the Midi Re Direct VST as Paul Warrens's site is defunct and Google brings up nothing? I couldn't get the Voicelive 2 Editor to function without it as I have to turn off USB Control on the Voicelive 2, which kills the link between the chord output in BIAB and my Voicelive 2.

I don't understand why I need the VST if I'm running a real midi cable from my Audio Interface to the Voicelive 2 and a USB cable from the Voicelive 2 to my PC. I've got patch commands and cc commands on my melody track in BIAB on Channel 4 and the harmonies coming through on the Through Channel, Channel 5. It works fine but no editor. I'm a bit baffled. crazy

Last edited by lambada; 06/08/17 05:18 AM.

BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Veteran
Veteran
http://bandinabox.wikia.com/wiki/VSTi_MidiRedirector_v_1.xx

The redirector should be here. If not let me know and I will upload it.

Second question ? That is just the way it is.

Last edited by MusicStudent; 06/08/17 03:02 PM.

L
Expert
Expert
L
Thanks. I'll try it over the weekend.

BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
L
Expert
Expert
L
I not sure if midi redirector is helping me. Basically, if I want to use the Voicelive 2 editor I have to turn USB control on. If I turn it on, none of my Voicelive 2 midi commands work in BIAB. I have them on the Melody track. My nova commands are on the Soloist track. Both entered to specific bars in Step Edit mode. However I can switch patches directly on the Voicelive 2 using the editor. Maybe that's one advantage of the redirector? I didn't try it before I installed the redirector, so I'm not sure if it is the actual redirector that is allowing me to do that. grin

It is cool with USB on as you can edit and change patches from the editor which is very straightforward as it's a great piece of software, but I don't think I would use it live and I need the midi automation in BIAB more.

The harmonies work great and I'm now free to use the guitar for whatever I want (eg guitar synth or guitar solos). No need to play chords to get harmonies as it's now all done by BIAB chords. Very cool. A big fortuitous step forward. Thanks.

If I've missed something or misunderstood the redirector, please let me know. I find this aspect of midi a bit of a mystery in BIAB and largely undocumented. confused I'd love to be able to use the editor at the same time, but it's seems it is not to be.

Last edited by lambada; 06/10/17 03:20 AM.

BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds like you are making progress. Like we discussed there are not a lot of folks going down this road with BIAB and the TC product. I am traveling these days so not at my music studio. But I did make a pretty serious effort with all this several years ago. So I can share with you how my story ended.

Working with BIAB and TC VLT2 was fun and a learning experience, but in the end I moved it all to Reaper when I wanted to take the show live. Just a lot more flexibility in a full fledged DAW.

But as long as you are having fun...

L
Expert
Expert
L
Thanks. I have reaper, but I've yet to use it.:-) I'd wondered about using a DAW live.

BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,581
Posts734,680
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200