#416525 06/04/17 05:11 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
J
jt3 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
J
might sound backwards but looking for midi styles. my thought I can add realtracks from there?

Veteran
Veteran
If I understand your question correctly, yes, you can have a mixture of MIDI tracks and RealTracks in the one song.

So if you have a MIDI Style, you can change one or more tracks to RealTracks, as seen in the examples below:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2017-06-05_14-44-40.jpg (104.52 KB, 231 downloads)
2017-06-05_14-47-21.jpg (97.5 KB, 230 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Also...

By default, BIAB will automatically replace midi tracks with Realtracks. To disable this, go to "Options | Preferences | Realtracks" and remove the check mark from the option shown below on the image.

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
If you are looking for more MIDI styles, go to http://www.nortonmusic.com - there are many hundreds there, and I've been making them for BiaB since 1992.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
If you are looking for more MIDI styles, go to http://www.nortonmusic.com - there are many hundreds there, and I've been making them for BiaB since 1992.

Notes

Do u have any pure piano style disk over there? Working on a project with lots of pure piano music. Very limited in BiaB.
Do u also take orders, like if I have some midi files I like to have same style as? Have tried the stylemaker from midi, but the result never become good for me...

Forever Grateful, BUT, sometimes pissed of. wink
Trygve "Leo" Larsen
BiaB 2020, Windows 8.1, Intel Core i5 CPU, 270GHz, 32 Gb RAM
My OLD tracks on Soundcloud; https://soundcloud.com/trygve-larsen My NEW is unpublished
The Universe = Uni-verse ie one song.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Trygve Larsen

Notes

Do u have any pure piano style disk over there? Working on a project with lots of pure piano music. Very limited in BiaB.
Do u also take orders, like if I have some midi files I like to have same style as? Have tried the stylemaker from midi, but the result never become good for me...

1) The closest thing I have to a pure piano style is PianoJazz on this style disk: http://www.nortonmusic.com/style13.html -- you can also buy it as a single style here http://www.nortonmusic.com/styledemo.html

There are plenty of other styles where you can mute everything but the piano, and since they are MIDI, you can even keep the bass part in and change it to a piano. I've had some good results with that.

2) I don't do custom styles. Between gigging in my band (duo), being the 'band salesman', running all the aspects of Norton Music (accounting, webmaster, maintenance, tech support, and new product development), I just don't have any time or any way I can make a commitment. I haven't watched TV in over 30 years (I'm not complaining - I'd rather live my life by doing things than to live my life vicariously by watching actors pretend to do things).

Right now Leilani and I are working on a half dozen fake disks (including a companion for the Real Book V.6 and the Real Country Book). This has been so time consuming that I haven't worked on any new styles for about 8 months.

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Expert
Expert

1) The closest thing I have to a pure piano style is PianoJazz on this style disk: http://www.nortonmusic.com/style13.html -- you can also buy it as a single style here http://www.nortonmusic.com/styledemo.html

There are plenty of other styles where you can mute everything but the piano, and since they are MIDI, you can even keep the bass part in and change it to a piano. I've had some good results with that.

2) I don't do custom styles. Between gigging in my band (duo), being the 'band salesman', running all the aspects of Norton Music (accounting, webmaster, maintenance, tech support, and new product development), I just don't have any time or any way I can make a commitment. I haven't watched TV in over 30 years (I'm not complaining - I'd rather live my life by doing things than to live my life vicariously by watching actors pretend to do things).

Right now Leilani and I are working on a half dozen fake disks (including a companion for the Real Book V.6 and the Real Country Book). This has been so time consuming that I haven't worked on any new styles for about 8 months.

Notes

Ok, thank's for the answer Notes. I¨ll take a look to the one u mentioned...

I have also used ur way to make some songs with a pretty good result.

I also tried make som midi user styles from some real track piano this morning by deleting the real track but not the midi chart for that real track and had some success. But when I tried both bass and piano, only the piano could be heard... Will post about it in another tread and see if someone can understand why.

Very understandable that u don't have time for custom styles.

Forever Grateful, BUT, sometimes pissed of. wink
Trygve "Leo" Larsen
BiaB 2020, Windows 8.1, Intel Core i5 CPU, 270GHz, 32 Gb RAM
My OLD tracks on Soundcloud; https://soundcloud.com/trygve-larsen My NEW is unpublished
The Universe = Uni-verse ie one song.
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
I purchased some Norton styles but when I rebuild the styles list, they don't show up. I believe I have followed the installation directions correctly. I installed into C: bb. Should the actual styles be manually moved into the bb styles folder? Thanks.

Veteran
Veteran
There was some work done on that in a recent build. Are you up to date? What version of BIAB do you have, and what build? You can find this in Help, About.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Milt,

I have BIAB 2017 and I bought some Norton styles a month or so ago and they show up for me.

In Stylepicker...

1. I click on the "Category" filter.

2. Select "Choose and show user category".

3. Scroll to the top of the list and the Norton styles categories are listed there.

Does that help?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Milt,

I have BIAB 2017 and I bought some Norton styles a month or so ago and they show up for me.

In Stylepicker...

1. I click on the "Category" filter.

2. Select "Choose and show user category".

3. Scroll to the top of the list and the Norton styles categories are listed there.

Does that help?

Regards,
Noel

This works if you click on (slow complete) rebuild styles list first.

rebuild image

Last edited by MarioD; 06/23/17 02:00 PM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Hey Matt, thanks for the reply. I am running version2017 build 462. I think an update came out a couple of days ago, but I haven't had time to download amd install

M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
I'm dense guys! Can't get it to work. I click o the slow, complete rebuild styles list, I click on the category filter I select choose, and show user category, a dialogue opens and shows the list of Norton styles. at the bottom of this dialogue the choices are refresh, open user category folder, create new category, OK, and cancel. I've tried all options, but the Norton styles don't come up when I open the style picker window.

Veteran
Veteran
We're on build 466. Try that. Lots of intervening patches.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Milt,

When you say,

Quote:
I purchased some Norton styles but when I rebuild the styles list, they don't show up. I believe I have followed the installation directions correctly. I installed into C: bb. Should the actual styles be manually moved into the bb styles folder? Thanks.

...does this mean that c:\bb is not your BIAB folder? If so, the Norton styles need adding to the folder that you run BIAB from.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Hey Noel, yes C: is my BIAB folder and that's where I put the Norton styles. I'll try the update like Matt said and see if that does it. Thanks.

Veteran
Veteran
I have them working well on all versions of 2017.

If you haven't done so, go to http://www.nortonmusic.com/support.html and download the BiaB package.

BiaB requires some additional data files for the Norton and other non-PG user styles to appear in the style picker window. This update from Norton includes the necessary 2017 files.

Once you have downloaded the file, simply follow the instructions. C:\BB is fine if you are running from your computers C drive. If you are running it from an external drive, be sure to put the files in ?:\BB where ? is the letter of your hard drive.

Then
  • shut BiaB and re-open it
  • open the style picker window
  • make sure the 5th filter category (down arrow) is set to either All (Real first, MIDI sorted to the bottom), Real and Real w/MIDI or MIDI only (no Real)
  • click the first filter category (down arrow) and select (Choose and Show User Category []...

The Norton categories should show up in that dialog box.

Insights and incites by Notes

M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Thanks for he reply, Notes. Still not happening, feel like I am missing something simple. I open the style picker, click on 'show user category' which opens a box that says 'choose user category to display in style picker' In the box I see listed Norton styles, PG Music bonus styles, PG Music rediscovered styles, and PG Music xtra styles. There are buttons at the bottom labeled 'refresh', open 'user category folder', 'create new category' and 'OK'. I have tried all the options, but as far as I can tell none of these styles are added to the style picker. After I go through the procedure I filter the styles using Norton as the filter term and nothing shows up. It says in the install instructions for Norton that the Norton styles would be preceded by a # in the picker, but I don't see any. Thanks for any suggestions.

Veteran
Veteran
When you see the Norton Music Styles, what happens if you select one of the categories?

The Norton Styles should appear there.

Also, you can try using the # as your filter.

Notes

M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Hey Notes, I tried using # as the filter, but nothing showed up. Nothing happens when I click on one of the Norton categories in the "Choose User Category to display in StylePicker" box ( I tried Norton#EXPANDED). The selected category turns blue, and that's it. For some reason the selected category is not making it from this dialogue to the stylepicker list. Any idea which button at the bottom of the dialogue box would be the right one to push? Thank you very much for your patience.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199