Print Thread
Go To
#416544 06/05/17 12:22 AM
Beginners Forum
L
Lagge Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I have BIAB 2016 intalled and it works like a charm, EXCEPT that i cannot get external MIDI to work properly. I have Komplete Kontrol S49 hooked up and configured in BIAB. It works, i can record MIDI on tracks and I can see MIDI in e.g. the MIDI monitor or the big piano window. BUT i don't hear anything when I play or record.If I record and then play back, sure enough the notes I played and recorded are there and I can hear them, but i hear nothing when I play live. Very strange to me. What am I missing?

The MIDI is going out to a Yamaha PSR-S750 and that works well during playback, but I never hear what I'm playing on the keyboard.

Lagge #416571 06/05/17 04:36 AM
Beginners Forum
w Offline
Expert
Expert

Lagge #416580 06/05/17 06:14 AM
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Hi

Do keep in mind that what your hear while recording in BIAB is whatever voice you have chosen for thr thru track.
These notes are recorded on the melody or soloist tracks
What you hear on playback is the voice you have assigned to these tracks
So to hear your expected playback voice while playing/ recording choose the same voice for the thru track.
Sorry if you knew this.
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Mike Head #416590 06/05/17 07:59 AM
Beginners Forum
L
Lagge Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks! Didn't know that. Unfortunately it doesn'ät help as I cannot get the thru channel to work either.

Lagge #416597 06/05/17 09:30 AM
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
hi
Thru is normaly sent to the midi driver make sure you are set up to send to your thru to something you can hear.
could be external midi device like say your keyboard if you have the driver loaded and selected.
See midi settings for this.
Mike

Mike Head #416605 06/05/17 11:19 AM
Beginners Forum
L
Lagge Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks for taking time to help. I don't know what i did but it suddenly works, kind of. However, thru is incredibly low volume unless i use midi thru harmony. Then it sounds fine when i play along but not when the song is stopped. And i cannot change Midi patch. Very strange. I've used Cubase for decades without such strange midi behaviour.

Lagge #416609 06/05/17 11:48 AM
Beginners Forum
L
Lagge Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Only some harmonies work and i've found that it is the ones that use a B-part. So, the B-part works, but not the A-part, i.e. the "normal" thru channel. Weird!

Lagge #416613 06/05/17 12:13 PM
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
hi

MIDI thru patch is set by clicking the down arrow at the RH side of the thru ch on the mixer and choosing a midi patch
Mike

Mike Head #416657 06/05/17 10:45 PM
Beginners Forum
L
Lagge Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I know. Problem is it doesn't work.

Lagge #416659 06/05/17 10:50 PM
Beginners Forum
L
Lagge Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Or rather, it works but the sound is really, really low (I can barely hear it if i turn everything else off). Doesn't matter what midi channel i set for thru. However, it did work load and clear when i sent the thru channel to my old JV1080. When i switch back to the S750 it's low again. The S750 works fine for all other channels and all midi channels work fine if i play them from Cubase.

Lagge #416661 06/06/17 12:19 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
lagge,

Have you checked the volume of the 'Thru' channel? It's accessed by clicking the 'THRU+' button the mixer (as shown in the image below).

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
thru volume setting.JPG (61.02 KB, 74 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Lagge #416669 06/06/17 03:12 AM
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Hi

A good place to get a handle on exactly what is what for each channel in use is to go to
OPTIONS / CHANNELS here you can see vol ch number pan rev etc and change.
It is a bit easier to see the big picture here IMO.

As the Yamaha 750 is a multi timbre midi based instrument you should be able to use any channel for any track
Just keep the drums on ch10 or you wont get drum kits
Just my thoughts sorry if you Know this.
Mike

Lagge #416684 06/06/17 05:48 AM
Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello Lagge,

What Mike Head mentioned is very good advice! Also, if you go to Options | MIDI/Audio Driver Setup, what you have selected as your input and output drivers could make a difference. smile

_____
Regards,
Deryk

Cheers,
Deryk
Lagge #416712 06/06/17 11:14 AM
Beginners Forum
L
Lagge Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi all!

Thanks for the input. I've checked the thru volume and all other obvious parameters i could think of. It doesn't make any difference. I've used MIDI and DAWs for some 30 years (since Notator on the Atari) but never encountered something like this.

I don't think the drivers are the problem. All other channels play fine. BIAB receives the midi note messages (visible in the big piano window e.g.). Also, the midi notes are sent out to the Yamaha 750 BUT are played at an incredibly low volume. At normal listening levels (for everything else) they are barely possible to hear provided everything else is quiet. I tried a couple of re-routings but to no avail. Using the Yamaha as input keyboard - same result. BUT, when i use Roland JV1080 as playback device the thru channel plays back perfectly! The JV1080 is, however, not a good general choice. This makes me guess that some midi message which is lowering the volume, but that the JV1080 cannot interpret, is sent out.

I don't know if there's an easy way to monitor the outgoing midistream from within BIAB.

Lagge #416715 06/06/17 11:38 AM
Beginners Forum
L
Lagge Offline OP
OP Offline
L
OK guys, problem solved. BIAB seems to overreact to my expression pedal (Boss EV-30). It seems BIAB received (or at least thought it recieved) an endless stream of low expression values and sent them on to the midi device. When i un-hooked the pedal it sent an expression 0 (!) but when i started BIAB without the pedal connected from the start everything suddenly worked as it should.

I then tested the pedal i Cubase and it worked as it should. No endless stream of midi messages from the pedal and the Yamaha plays as it should + the pedal works like an expression pedal is supposed to work.

At least the combination Komplete Kontrol and Boss EV-30 doesn't seem to be compatible with BIAB.

Lagge #416724 06/06/17 01:04 PM
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Hi
Pleased you got it sorted.
But that sure is an odd one , I cant imagine why BIAB see a string of expression events ,as you say it does not send a continuous stream in other software and works normally on the 750
So it seems it only sends a new value when you move it .very odd.
Have fun
Mike crazy

Lagge #416832 06/07/17 07:48 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Often times I've seen keyboards output at around a velocity of around 60, which is pretty soft. There is an option (can't remember which screen) to boost thru velocity by whatever number you specify. So, if you are playing along with a velocity of 60, you could enter 40 in the box and it will play the notes at a velocity of 100, effectively raising the volumes. I have to do this with my keyboard so I can hear it.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #416926 06/08/17 02:08 AM
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
HI

Yes that’s very true JOHN

So maybe the 750 has its touch set to suit the EQ and normal playing volume for playing that keyboard live.

FUNCTION/ CONTROLER/ tab to KEYBOARD PANNEL/ TOUCH

As a quick test just set touch to off ,if this boost your velocity to BIAB then go back and try the other settings between hard and soft I think there are five on the 750
Some folks switch touch off but personally I wouldn’t recommend that as it essential to get feeling and expression in your playing
Just another way
[b]PS Although I must say as the problem seems to come from the external expression peddle this probably all ok
Mike

Last edited by Mike Head; 06/08/17 02:15 AM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195