Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Post your own Tips and Tricks here
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Note: The following "essay" originates from an even longer reply I had made to a post elsewhere some good couple of years ago. I had been meaning to lift this section of it into its own designated "Tip" post, but something or other must've sidetracked me until I'd nearly forgotten all about it. Anyway here it is at long last:

Tip: Always spend the extra minute it takes to insert the intended melody as Midi into the Melody track before you start rendering the accompanying instruments!
You can then mute it, put a "Performance track" on it (vocal or any other thing), or use it for whatever you like. But if you need to free up that channel, then don't delete the underlying midi data until after you've rendered (and frozen!) the other tracks.
Now, you may ask, "why is this important if I'm only going to make backing tracks for a singer or something", and the core reason is simply: The program obviously can't hear your vocal, but it can detect the midi - and it does make a difference in how the accompanying realtracks turn out!! In other words, they do somewhat 'take into account' (for the lack of a better term) if the melody is there or not (or more importantly, when it's there and when not), if the midi data is there as reference. I have even got instances where, once I had entered the midi melody, a Realtrack would then on subsequent regeneration actually avoid notes of chords that otherwise might clash with the melody (that trickster of an automatically added flat nine to a seventh comes to mind). It must, however, be acknowledged here that this statement is neither absolute nor infallible. Generally speaking, this works best (or is obviously best noticeable) with RT's that have a very varied, "decorative" performance data than, say, something that is strumming the same pattern bar after bar.
But don't just take my word for this. Have a listen to these samples: The first is from BBox own "Artist" collection, and showcases how the accompanying piano provides this lovely flourish right after the melody. And the second sample is from a song I myself made, so the BBox crew couldn't possibly have prepared something specifically for it. In that sample, notice how the piano actually seems to be directly playing along with the melody, note for note!
I maintain that these cases didn't "just happen", that what you get from the Realtracks is not just arbitrary or 'random', hence my advice.

Thank you for taking the time to read all this, sorry for how long that "tip" became in the end.

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
<<< Now, you may ask, "why is this important if I'm only going to make backing tracks for a singer or something", and the core reason is simply: The program obviously can't hear your vocal, but it can detect the midi - and it does make a difference in how the accompanying realtracks turn out!! In other words, they do somewhat 'take into account' (for the lack of a better term) if the melody is there or not (or more importantly, when it's there and when not), if the midi data is there as reference.>>>

I have also found this to be true if you use multiple RealTrack instruments on the same track. It seems the current instrument anticipates the change and transition notes precede the new instrument. After much experimenting, to me, using the same track for multiple instruments in BIAB makes these changes in a much more pleasing and musical fashion than having the instruments on separate tracks or generated in RealBand.

It is also much faster and easier to do in BIAB than moving tracks to RB or any DAW...

Charlie

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 06/15/17 02:09 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Hi Icelander,
By accident I always have used midi on the melody track and I dont know why technically but it definitely has a bigger influence on the backing tracks than using just a melody without midi.Really important point u are raising .Actually it could be the one point that could improve ur backing tracks the most.Good post urs Hugh

Veteran
Veteran
Really nice tip Eddie!

While what you've stated can't be proven scientifically, it makes sense. Thanks for taking time to share.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I don't know about "scientifically", but, as with any half-decent theory, the supporting evidence is certainly there.
I had actually been readying myself for a lot more feedback of doubts than have (this far) been posted, and as such have more details to 'argue the case-, so to speak. But, much to my joy, I have been getting next no nothing but praise...and that "essay" was really getting on a bit already wink

w Offline
Expert
Expert
Quote:
insert the intended melody as Midi into the Melody track

How is that done, please.

Thanks.

Journeyman
Journeyman
So, just to clarify.
When you make a performance track on your midi melody does that process "disengage" the midi effect on future realtrack generation?
I realise that the underlying notation remains so you can revert to the midi track (after removing the performance track) but do you have to complete your real track generation prior to transforming to a performance track or does the underlying midi (under the performance track) still have an impact on realtrack generation.
Col

WIN 10, BIAB WIN2022, Studio One 5, Audient iD4
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: w
Quote:
insert the intended melody as Midi into the Melody track

How is that done, please.
Most commonly via a midi capable instrument that is connected to your computer. I gather that there are ways to enter midi notes into the Melody channel from within BBox itself, but I've never learned how to do it that way since I myself do use a midi capable instrument for this purpose.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Beachboy
So, just to clarify.
When you make a performance track on your midi melody does that process "disengage" the midi effect on future realtrack generation?

Col
If I'm understanding your concept correctly (and that is admittedly a rather big "if" here), then the core thing to keep in mind here is simply: The accompanying RT's can never "hear" audio performance track, but it always "knows" the midi when present. So regardless what audio you actually put on top of that midi, the program still only knows what the midi data is, not the audio (or at least to a far lesser degree if at all). Therefore, the other RT's are still going to go by the midi data, which I hope is what you were asking about.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
An example of how I myself actually made use of that:

The core statement in my first post applies to soloist Realtracks as well as comping ones, and I had set an RT soloist solo for a certain number of bars and it stopped midways into the last bar because that bar had a melody note ahead of the next bar. Now, I actually wanted that soloist to keep on and overlap my melody so what I did was change the midi melody (moved that note's start into the next bar) but kept my audio Performance unaltered, then redid the soloist - and it worked perfectly cool

Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks Icelander,
So it seems that BIAB still interprets the underlying midi data (Melody track) even while the audio (performance track) is playing.
Col

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Beachboy
So it seems that BIAB still interprets the underlying midi data (Melody track) even while the audio (performance track) is playing.
Col
That is my meaning, yes.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Icelander
That is my meaning, yes.

Excellent. Thanks!

Expert
Expert
Thanks for this tip ..... F

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,509
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195