Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
An interesting article on the current state of guitar sales:

"WHY MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS"
"The slow, secret death of the six-string electric. And why you should care."

(cool graphics, too)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/lifestyle/the-slow-secret-death-of-the-electric-guitar/?utm_term=.33bba99fd653

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This is so interesting to me. I'm not a guitarist, but have really missed guitar solo's.

Sort of a strange thing I've seen in current country, or whatever, is the emergance of a pseudo-guitar solo. It's only 4 bars long! It's not a main course, it's not even a side, it's that lady/guy standing at the grocery store asking if you want to try a sample wink I like it and would gladly ask for more please!

Somewhat odd timing on this, I was listening to Nickelback's latest CD that came out last Friday and I heard...dare I say...a guitar solo?! WHAT?! Now, you may not like them, their music, their style (music, clothing, hair, or otherwise), but...there is a solo! I personally think it sounds pretty decent too!

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/5LKOvlS3dnw?t=2m3s[/video]

Ironically "Guitar Hero" was not a guitar hero at all.

Thanks for posting this FJ. Maybe with a bit more talking, more can happen.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Darn it Floyd! Just found the article a few minutes ago only to discover you beat me to posting a link.

Seriously, the article makes some good points. The art of music as well as the art of making music is changing. The musicians that use to use guitars and other traditional instruments are dying. I thought the point that Clapton and other musicians that also guitar collectors are downsizing their collections is stark evidence things are changing.

I didn't realize both Gibson and Fender are carrying such huge debts.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Great, after 25 years of trying to play this thing turns out it is no longer cool! crazy

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've been reading about the demise of the saxophone in the United States, which seems to be plotting a similar course for similar reasons.

According to this guy, mass-produced Chinese instruments have attained a level of quality where it's a better choice to buy a brand new saxophone instead of repadding an older one.

The demand for these instruments isn't coming from the United States, but from China, Russia, and South America. We just happen to get the benefit of inexpensive instruments.

There's a guy in my town that buys instruments returned to Amazon, fixes them up, puts a decent mouthpiece on them and resells them on Craigslist in the $200+ price range. That's an amazing deal for someone like me, who could never afford a "pro" instrument, but doesn't want the risk of buying an instrument sight unseen.

I've picked up an alto for my daughter in hopes that some of her EWI skills might transition over, and a tenor for myself.

Fortunately, my kids are exposed to "oldies" when I'm driving around, so they are currently unaware of the demise of the saxophone. wink

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Typical golden goose story. The big guys crank out thousands of guitars, new models every year, special editions, distressed versions (for musicians too lazy to screw up their own guitars), etc. And their corporate owners demand bigger revenue every year. Then lots of little guys (and Chinese) see the huge sales and get in with guitars that are about as good for half the price which further gluts up the market. And at some point the bottom drops out. I'd hate to see Gibson and Fender go but if they cannot compete in a shrinking market then..."ByeBye"!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This was an interesting article, thanx for sharing.

As mentioned about saxes Chinese guitars are of high quality for a fraction of the cost of a Fender or Gibson. It's hard to compete with China in today's climate.

One thing missing in this report is the fact that many today want instant gratification. It takes time and patience to play an instrument and many kids today do not want to learn the basics. I could tell be the second lessons which students would stick with it and which would drop out. Now they can load up a DAW and record a song using loops, BiaB/RB, VSTis that have automatic playing programing like finger picking a guitar, etc without touching an instrument (this is not a knock on those of us on this forum - I'm just trying to prove a point). The attention span is dwindling!

Just my thoughts - YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting, but not totally accurate on more than one level.

No more guitar heros? I've never actually liked the term "guitar hero", but there are plenty of good, young players out there still. Check out Joe Bonamassa, doesn't get much better than that. Clapton may be selling off his collection, but Bonamassa continues to add to his.

Yes, rap music and electronic music doesn't need guitar players, but so what? There will always be young people coming up that want to get into blues or jazz or music that has soul.

I think one of the main reasons Fender and Gibson are having problems is not because no one wants to play guitar anymore, it's because they are overpriced.

Mario made the point about the chinese guitars and he is 100% correct, same or similar quality at a fraction of the price of the american made guitars. Having said that, I just bought myself an american made tele last year, but it was the first new guitar I had bought in 20 years so I figured I deserved it smile

Last edited by BlueAttitude; 06/24/17 12:54 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting article, thanks for posting, Floyd!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I know a guy who bought a Chinese knockoff Les Paul, the one that is covertly spelled "Gibsun" with embellishments to make the U look like an O. He then put Grover tuners on it, a Floyd Jane Rose tailpiece, and DiMarzio pickups in it, and it sounds GREAT! With his having some used parts on hand, he probably brought that guitar in for under $400. The Les Paul Standard it resembles would have cost him WAY more than that.

Only point here is to not dismiss those knockoff so quickly if sound is your only criteria. With a little tweaking they can sound good.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I started a thread on this forum a few years back asking 'is the guitar dead?' or something to that effect. I thought so then, no one else here did, and I think so now. I use FL Studio as my DAW, along with a couple of others, and if you go on the forums there you see very, very few guitar songs. I even hear some of the guys there comment that they hate guitars. Computer music is the wave of the future or technology, IMO. And I like a lot of it (for an old fart) and like to write it, too.

Pop music is about the singers and dancers and there's no guitars anymore. All the music is mostly keyboards and programmed music. R&R is long dead except for us old timers. We're a dying breed. I love old country music and it's dead, too. But everything dies and fads come and go. Maybe we'll have a resurgence (right and I'm going to be 18 again).

Country music is leaving a lot of strings behind also, it seems, like steel, fiddle, mandolin, banjo, etc. I went to Billboard website just to see what country music was doing these days and of the songs I listened to I heard only guitar, bass and drums.

Mario said that the guitar companies are pricing themselves out of business and I agree. The last two guitars I bought were a Squier Strat and a Squier Tele (hollow body). They tune and play just as well as, to me, as the more expensive Strat's and Tele's. They sound as good as well to me. But what's a guitar body or neck got to do with sound these days when everything you're playing through is electronic and it controls the sound? And at 72, I don't think I'm going to hit the big time anyway. So, as they say, only change is constant.

"The desire for fame is the last infirmity cast off even by the wise."
Cornelius Tacitus
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Charlie, this happened here about a year ago. My friend brought over his $3000 Fender Tele. I played his first then my $110 SX Tele from Rondo music. He looked at me and said "I just wasted $2900"!

True story

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A few years ago, one of my work friends withdrew his 401K money and started investing in musical instruments, figuring they would grow in value faster than the investments that were available to him in our 401k plan. And for a while they did.

I lost track with him when I retired... but now I'm curious to know if the stringed instruments he bought are continuing to grow in value.

FWIW, I think he was mostly buying banjos, not guitars. Given the current popularity of bluegrass and Americana music, I'd guess that banjos are more marketable than guitars these days.

I have some guitars I'd like to sell... maybe I'd better not wait...

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As far as the guy saying the guitar is dead, that is not new, people have been saying that for many years. Back in the 70s keyboards were king, and there was a guy called Larry Fast who was quite popular at the time. I remember on the back of one of his albums he had a quote "..and nobody played guitar". Well, here we are 40 years later, still lots of guitar based bands out there, and when was the last time you heard anything from Larry Fast?

Also lots of guitar in modern country music. Doesn't sound much like country music to me, but it is music young people identify with. My nieces and nephews, all in their teens and early 20's, love that music. I've heard some of it, some fine guitarists in those bands!

Last edited by BlueAttitude; 06/25/17 02:15 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In my parents day the Trumpet and to a lesser extent the Trombone were the kings of pop music solos. Before that it was the violin.

The clarinet and accordion entered the scene.

Then the sax which during the early rock era, was the king of pop music solos.

With the invention of sustaining technology the guitar gradually took it's place, and the keyboard synth horned in too. Today the sax is rarely heard in pop, and usually for a repetitive figure if it is. (Fortunately I play for an older audience that still loves the sax).

Now the guitar seems to be fading out in the place of things like Ableton Live and other DJ looping machines. (Fortunately I play for an older audience that still loves the guitar).

Everything runs in cycles.

Like the trumpet, trombone, sax, the guitar isn't going to disappear, it just isn't the alpha dog anymore.

That's my opinion anyway.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
L
Expert
Expert
L
Generally, China is great at customer service too. Living in Hong Kong, I've had US companies refuse to ship and refuse to deal with me. Those amazing single PA amplification systems that got a mention on our site are an example. The company never responded to my email and then the distributor said they wouldn't ship one to me in HK. Just saying. I have a PA company in China who will save a mixing desk or a PA for me from a production run and provided I find suitable transport will send it to me for peanuts. Their transportation quote was more expensive than the Amp. Nothing is too much trouble for them. In the old days, quality was an issue - not so now.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
In my parents day the Trumpet and to a lesser extent the Trombone were the kings of pop music solos. Before that it was the violin.

The clarinet and accordion entered the scene.

Then the sax which during the early rock era, was the king of pop music solos.

With the invention of sustaining technology the guitar gradually took it's place, and the keyboard synth horned in too. Today the sax is rarely heard in pop, and usually for a repetitive figure if it is. (Fortunately I play for an older audience that still loves the sax).

Now the guitar seems to be fading out in the place of things like Ableton Live and other DJ looping machines. (Fortunately I play for an older audience that still loves the guitar).

Everything runs in cycles.

Like the trumpet, trombone, sax, the guitar isn't going to disappear, it just isn't the alpha dog anymore.

That's my opinion anyway.

Your opinion, but supported by history. I was going to write about the same thing in response to this article, but you wrote it well.

I started noticing the slow death when reviewing CDs starting about 15 years ago, even guitar-heavy bands were just using the electric guitar for rhythm, leaving out leads. There are TONS of growler vocalist, chugga-chugga bands these days playing not only 6 but also ye olde 7-string and 8-string electric guitars, but there seems to be less and less lead lines and solos. This isn't 100% true, but the guitar solo seemed to leave rock music as a 'must have' quite a long time ago. What I have enjoyed in pop-rock lately, however, is a return to some really catchy rhythm guitar work. This was missing for a couple decades in my opinion, with guitar slingers like Johnny Marr seeming to be missing. These days, you have bands like Colony House, which are bringing it with pop-tastic, clean-tone hooky chord work. Here's an example that's an example of what I'm talking about: https://youtu.be/IBTB54ty-tc?list=PLKXpG3IlfP1p2of_2C1735cFXewK-h00G

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A lot of people say that the death of the guitar started in 1962, when I started playing it.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
i can't get past the WP sign up page on my iMac but I get the gist of the article from the thread.

We were watching one of Clapton's "Crossroads" the other night and I commented to Janice that there was no way you could fill a stadium with folks nowadays to watch guitar centric music.

Yeah, there will always be young folks who want to enter the fray but I think the movement toward cult status has begun. Sad, to us because guitars and vocals are what so attract us to a song...and a sax. Yeah, Billie Holiday and Lester Young!

J&B

Edit: found the article here if you have a WP issue.
https://pilotonline.com/entertainment/music/the-slow-secret-death-of-the-electric-guitar-and-why/article_04ccc8ca-b36f-548d-950f-d538eeb36e98.html

Last edited by Janice & Bud; 06/27/17 05:20 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Death of the 6 string guitar?

I think not....

As long as young men understand the "chick magnet" power in playing guitar, and as long as girls go gaga for guys with low slung, amplified, 6 string guitars... guitars will never die.

Face it, it's way more sexy to play guitar than it is to play piano or drums.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,552
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199