Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

Face it, it's way more sexy to play guitar than it is to play piano or drums.

Careful. You posted an awful lot about that new cabin of yours. I would hate to see anything happen to it. Those piano players can get pretty crazy from what I hear. wink

-A drummer smile

Last edited by HearToLearn; 06/27/17 11:14 AM.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn

Careful. You posted an awful lot about that new cabin of yours. I would hate to see anything happen to it. Those piano players can get pretty crazy from what I hear. wink

-A drummer smile

well.... Herb is in the home security business. You don't think he'd live in a house that wasn't protected by wall to wall video surveillance, do ya? And what fun is it to live in the country if you don't set one or two booby traps for intruders? Even without video cameras, in the country you can tell somebody is coming by the unmistakable sound of car tires on gravel. If the driveway is long enough, you have plenty of time to prepare your greeting (whatever form it might take)

Just sayin'. ;-)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Rumor has it that Herb's personal home security also includes the insurance company of Smith and Wesson and Remington and Uzi!

Proceed with caution..............plenty of caution!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Agreed, but the singer is the reason the guitar is having a slow, secret death..... smile

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The way I see it is this:

It's a child's duty to rebel. This brings progress to the world. Children rebel with clothing, language, music and other ways.

So the child doesn't want to like his/her parent's music. Today the guitar is the instrument of the last generation and is as corny as the accordion was when I was growing up.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
The way I see it is this:

So the child doesn't want to like his/her parent's music. Today the guitar is the instrument of the last generation and is as corny as the accordion was when I was growing up.

Notes

The guitar is corny according to who, you? Because I'm not seeing any evidence that young people think that.

There are three music stores in the city close to where I live, one just sells guitars, the other two sell a variety of instruments, but their guitar sections are the largest.

When I go to those stores, especially the guitar store, I am typically the oldest guy in the store, mostly it is young people checking them out.

"So the child doesn't want to like his/her parent's music"

Not wanting to like their parents music has nothing to do with not liking or wanting to play guitar.
Nice thing about guitar is it is not limited to one genre, you can play classical, country, rock, jazz, ... anything! .... so maybe a young person might not like his parents music, but he can invent his own guitar based music, something that has happened many times over the 80 years or so that the electric guitar has been around, that is a few generations of guitarists playing music different from what their parents played.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
How many kids do you see drooling over a guitar player? Not many, most are going gaga for singers and DJs like Deadmau5.

No the guitar isn't going to die, but it has become the instrument of the older generation as far as pop music is concerned, and the sales numbers at Gibson, Fender, Ibanez and others show that.

Even country music doesn't have the guitar solos that it used to have.

So instead of being "king of the heap" in pop music like the sax, clarinet, trumpet, trombone, accordion and violin before that, the guitarist will just blend in.

I love playing guitar, but I can see it's popularity is on the decline and I'm not going to fool myself.

BTW, for the guys who thing guitar is sexier than drums, think again. I was in large bands for decades, and the drummer always got more girls than the guitar player. wink

Notes

Last edited by Notes Norton; 06/29/17 05:06 AM. Reason: typo

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton

Even country music doesn't have the guitar solos that it used to have.

But that's not because the guitar has become yesterday's accordion. And again, that point that there are no good solos in country music could be argued as I can easily point out a bunch, and I mean a bunch, of really good country guitar solos on songs.

Nashville execs are responsible for starting the whole thing about "no one wants to hear guitar solos anymore" because time is money and time is limited on radio. So as a result, solo's, the good solo's got cut down to a simple 4 bar solo/turnaround. But go and check out those bands and artists in concert where radio rules don't apply, and be prepared to have your jaw dropped. Some of the hottest guitar players are working in country music bands.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
In general, the traditional approach to music, learning an instrument, is being replaced by computerized, mechanical methods. The producers have come to regard the music track, not countuing the vocals, as one of many production values -- lights, dancers, video effects, on and on.

(I was told that hip hop backing tracks come from three or four production studios. Most digital work stations supply loops that can launch the budding hip hopper into immediate stardom.)

That's only one factor. Electric guitar is a flexible instrument, and we are told that the musician actually plays the amp. I see it developing in that way -- triggers, controlled voltages, effects, etc. Kind of the Moog concept.

Now then will the system of tones and harmonies disappear?

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: edshaw
<...snip...>

That's only one factor. Electric guitar is a flexible instrument, and we are told that the musician actually plays the amp. <...>

The electric guitarist definitely plays the amp, along with the guitar and pedals.

And when you come to see me live you hear me playing a lot of guitar and sax solos, but you don't hear as much sax and guitar on pop records anymore. It took 50 years for the sax to completely disappear from the Billboard Top 40, and it might take that long for the guitar to do the same. But then again, like most of us who play the guitar, we hope that doesn't happen.

Insights and incites by Notes

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
So this was from the Today show 20 minutes ago...seems like a legit guitar solo (and band) overall. Not to mention the artist himself is fairly young.

There's A Guitar Solo In There! wink

What's old is new.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
The fiddle seems to be going strong, not just in bluegrass, but in country. George Strait was a fiddle fan.
Listen to the intro of this "Closer Walk."
Mr. Travis is good with vocal slides, too.
https://youtu.be/sIfqa_741s0

Last edited by edshaw; 07/01/17 12:55 PM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
The same article popped up on the Larrivée guitar forum, and I finally had a chance to read the article.

Oh good grief, what a click-bait title they gave it. This time, reading it made me angry with how many incorrect assumptions the author makes.

Here's what I wrote about the assumptions he made which I find to be fundamentally flawed: ( I might have gone a little hard on him for his Rush comment)

---------------

Assumption 1 not backed up by facts: Guitar solo heros - since there aren't as many now as the music styles drove in the 70's and 80's = death of electric guitar.

Wrong. Author is right that the guitar solo is no longer a standard feature in pop music;

However, name one Beatles killer guitar solo or the Beatle's guitar hero worship song. The Beatles had great riffs, but very little in the way of blistering solos. The Beatles were hugely responsible for the surge in guitar sales at the time. Epiphone was sure glad for the Beatles. The lack of pop-culture worship of soloist wizardry does not equal a death of the electric guitar. Here's the actual reality; there are thousands of guitar wizards across the planet today that only YouTube users know about. Guitar solo wizardry has become somewhat of a commodity. Long ago, that wasn't the case. There are under 10 year old kids that can play anything that the guitar heros of olde were know for - they didn't invent it, but they can play it. Pick any killer solo, with the words '10 year old' on a Youtube search, and you are almost assured some kid has a video posted of him or her blazing through an Eddie Van Halen solo and doing an insanely good job of it. You'll also find all the tablature and notation you need, the signal chain, etc. We used to have to pay for all of that in sheet music, magazines, etc. Ability to record a video of a kid doing a burning solo - that's in your pocket.

Assumption 2: Financial trouble at Gibson, Guitar Center, Fender = slow death of the electric guitar. Again wrong. Bad business decisions, among other things, drive Gibson's problems. Not a lack of interest in guitars. Gibson and Fender both (Gibson more guilty of this) have such a fear of moving away from their 4 core models and marketing them. If it isn't a Strat or LP, or Tele, or SG - then it's not worthy of investment; just figure out ways to make them cheaper overseas. Gibson and Fender both equipped the world's low cost country's abilities to make decent quality instruments for next to no money; which that is what enabled the millions to afford cheap guitars not branded Fender or Gibson.

Assumption 3: Gruhn's sales down = slow death of the electric guitar. Again wrong. I've been to Gruhn Guitars new location in Nashville. One of those Mecca experiences like shopping at Elderly Instruments in East Lansing, MI. Elderly has some affordable stuff, Gruhn does not. By affordable, I mean something that a kid can buy and learn on. I loved being at Gruhn, but that was as a 40+ year old man. They have a great selection of expensive instruments. They cater to the professional musician at his store, and he can afford to do that being in Nashville with all the pros and the wannabe pros. If it wasn't for Gruhn, I wouldn't know about the 8 string baritone that Taylor has on the market and on my 'to purchase someday' list.

Assumption 4: Kids learning 30-50 year old songs at Schools of Rock instead of newer songs = death of electric guitar. There are loads more resources for learning older songs than brand new ones. Lot's more lessons, lots more YouTube videos on how to play the older songs, etc. You learned classical music before modern keyboard music if you took lessons, that's just the way that it is.

Not an assumption, but shows the author's lack of understanding of Rush and perhaps his past-pop-culture only view of guitar in general: "Rush’s prog-metal is not for beginners, with its time shifts and reggae twist."

It's clear that the author has listened to exactly one Rush song in his lifetime: "Spirit of the Radio", and he heard it at his visit to a School of Rock. Name another Rush song that has a 'reggae twist'. Would you EVER characterize Rush, in a single sentence opportunity, as stating it has a 'reggae twist'? Did he mistakenly mix up Rush with The Police? There's hardly more than 20 seconds total of reggae in that 5+ minute long song, and quite possibly the only famous 20 seconds of anything reggae in all of Rush's decades long discography. For that matter, 'metal'?

There is no death of electric guitar - I would guess it's more popular than ever, it's just not controlled by a select few companies; same as music in general. Same as GM, Ford and Chrysler learning the hard lessons of having to compete with global competition.

Album Oriented Rock is not as popular since the early 80's; AOR lends itself to longer songs and therefore room for a guitar solo - well, that's probably not coming back. But neither are video arcades, shopping malls, the Big 3 dominance of the auto industry, etc. But do people still play video games, buy stuff, drive cars? Absolutely, more than ever. The types of things that are in these categories has spread out with less dominant character, but by no means are any of them going away. This is what happens with more and more individual choice.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
An absolutely Excellent response. Thanks for the great effort.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
An excellent and very true response Rockstar_Not.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
rockstar_not,

Enjoyed reading your response. You made some excellent points. One item minimized or overlooked is the rise of the synth as a lead instrument, essentially replacing the guitar solo in recorded music.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
I
Expert
Expert
I
The synth is being use to make crappy looped rifts in pop music. A real synth player is someone who is a real keyboardist, not some thriteen year old DJ wanna be who just want to creat music for clubs. Oh and the worst part, most of DJs don't own a real synth oor a midi keyboard for their virtual synth or even know any music theory. You want proof, listen to every edm song and hear the four on the floor kick drum and the same sanre roll.

Computer: Macbook Pro, 16 inch 2021
DAWs: Pro Tools, Logic, and Maschine
plays drums, percussion, bass, steel pan, keyboard,
music producer/engineer
Off-Topic
I
Expert
Expert
I
Also, if you want to keep your instrument alive, you have to be to do so. You have to be the to showcase the use of the instrument in solos, melodies etc.

Computer: Macbook Pro, 16 inch 2021
DAWs: Pro Tools, Logic, and Maschine
plays drums, percussion, bass, steel pan, keyboard,
music producer/engineer
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I don't know, I think that instrumental solos of any kind are pretty much non-existent in today's pop music. The last time I can think of popular keyboard solos in pop music goes back into the 80s with songs like Toto's Rosanna, Al Jarreau's Mornin, etc. I can't think of a single pop tune from the last 25 years with a keyboard solo. Maybe Bruce Hornsby's first hit but again that was the 80's or early 90's. Maybe a topic for a different thread?

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Electric guitar and associated gear/gadgets seem to be growing in popularity in the Houses of Worship. Though, I don't have statistics.
Guitar solos usually don't fit well in church services but the variety of color tones, fills, transitions, and ambient effects is certainly taking it's place.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199