R
Veteran
Veteran
R
^^ absolutely true

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Scott, you mean I can't walk into School of Rock and come sounding like Dream Theater????

Bands like Dream Theater, stellar players from top to bottom, ruin music for a lot of people. I can play scales until the day I day but I will never play like Jordan Rudess. And guitar players can play scales until THEY die and not play like John Petrucci. Those are the kind of bands that when I see them, I am not inspired to work harder. They make me understand the futility of the whole game!! There are Rush copy bands everywhere. Thus, kids CAN learn to play the Alex Lifeson stuff. Same for Van Halen, Aerosmith...

Remember when everybody drooled over Van Halen doing "Eruption"? All I heard was "He is so great! He is amazing! He is the greatest player ever!!" I have heard at least 3 dozen players copy that whole thing note for note. Doesn't that mean they are also great and amazing? They are playing the same stuff.....

I do agree the guitar is now sitting at the back of the stage, but the John Mayer types, the John Scofield types, those players who play in a genre where the guitar IS the instrument, they will keep the guitar alive. Whether that is true across the board of genres or not is debatable. I watch Lollapalooza every year. The big draws the last few years were the DJs who play extended mixes of other people's stuff sampled. Not even AN instrument, much less THAT instrument.

So I think it comes down to where you are looking. That weird SkrillX person, whoever he is, doesn't really even know music. He is a computer whiz, but he isn't really a musician. But isn't he popular??

So, you can still find a guitar out front if you know where to look. The basic premise though I have to agree with. You are likely going to find it in older acts, but it's there.

Can you even TRY to imagine Joe Walsh playing with a computer on stage??

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
OK - Here's a lineup of my favorite youngsters playing great music with guitar-centric (or in the case of Vulfpeck, bass-centric) orchestration.

Vulfpeck (eddie, you might want to look away, these kids are from Ann Arbor as far as I can tell). Really tight funk. Everyone plays everything except for Joe Dart the bass player - he just kills it on funky bass and I don't mean slapping.

Some of my faves from them:
https://youtu.be/w9COHCrwNQs (nice strat solo about 2:30-2:50)
https://youtu.be/4dpvyZBKg6Q (insane strat playing on this one, with slide thrown in here and there)
https://youtu.be/jRHQPG1xd9o (guest vocalist has some Al Green going, for sure - the guy playing the strat in this one also is a mean keyboard player, and drummer)

If you enjoy this straight up excellent soul and funk, subscribe to their YouTube channel - they'll get paid through the advertisement revenue they are now getting by having so many views on YouTube.

Colony House
Just great pop-rock. No guitar pyrotechnics, but slick riffs and a great overall sound. These guys are getting huge press. Radio play, who knows - but they've been on the Today show. The riff they do on the back end of the chorus sections is great in this one.
https://youtu.be/IBTB54ty-tc
https://youtu.be/DkfBxIH0g0k (throwback sound on this one to many different eras inside of one song)
https://youtu.be/Y4WkY30Sxd0 (same song, played live on Conan - lead singer busted a string on this one)

Silversun Pickups (these guys are more label supported and have been around for 15 years or so - lead singer's voice is a love or hate sound - everytime I hear it, it intrigues me and I listen more)
https://youtu.be/XBdeNVb3SdM (video is a bit disturbing, but it does feature some of their unique modern riffy guitar sound)
https://youtu.be/AG8fugqFn9Q (probably their most popular song - very heavy riff opening repeated at different points in the song)

Death Cab for Cutie (Band just broke up, I came to liking them late - the album Kintsugi is fantastic if you like 80's new wave guitar based sound)
https://youtu.be/srvcc8izHSU
https://youtu.be/io9ivuo4r6Q

Alabama Shakes (one of the biggest bands in the entire industry right now, with GREAT guitar work)
https://youtu.be/x-5OX7CO26c
Same song on SNL live
https://youtu.be/t3Lu1WbImPE

Not necessarily favorites, but just more proof that the guitar is not dying.

Bruno Mars (is there a bigger star right now? - so glad this sound with it's funk guitar and keyboards is being appreciated by the kids of today)
https://youtu.be/_8cK15Iv5qM (Live on SNL)

Kings of Leon
Live on Fallon:
https://youtu.be/SZDmwP1rOfM

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I just listened to all three songs by Vulfpeck and they are really good.

Amazon has Vulfpeck MP3 albums that you can purchase. I think I will pick up a couple.

I'll listen to the others when time permits.

Thanx for sharing.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That SINGER in Vulfpeck!! Sounds WAY too much like Al Jarreau!!! And the old school Wurlitzer is cool. I'll probably pick up an album as well.

Though there IS that whole Ann Arbor thing... maybe that is a misprint and they are really from Columbus...

And Colony House sounds exactly like Neon Trees.

Death Cab for me kind of blended into the gray of alternative band sameness for me.

Alabama Shakes I never liked. Something about that girl I can't handle.

Bruno is the bomb, but his act is pretty much James Brown redone, and I was a huge JB fan. Bruno updated that theme and whoever writes for him does a great job.

Kings of Leon I have liked since they started.

Last edited by eddie1261; 07/16/17 09:29 AM.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Just heard about a band from the U.K. called Inglorious. Sounds like 70s heavy metal, meaning the singer actually sings.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Terrific analytics all around.

As a musician, it has always been like this for me: I'll hear a song and come away wanting to sound like that. I uxed to joke, if I had a dime for every hour I spent trying to capture the vocal feeling of Tammy Wynette, I coul retire. All, it turned out, in vain. My point is, as long as kids and adults listen to music and make their own, the six blade knife will have a place in our lives.

Here in another to listen to. It is a wild Knoxville George Jones show, 1994, with this very unsual intro. The band and sidemen hold this rhytmic, instrumental
round, while George chats up the audience in time with the band. Then, they seamlessly go into the spoken intro to "No Show Jones," and literally the audience has gone nuts by the time the song actually starts.

Now, it is a given that this backup band features the most amazing musicians in the field, as well as the Maestro. But still, as I say, figure this one out and you'll really have something.

https://youtu.be/nSgeM-Vtans

Last edited by edshaw; 07/20/17 11:01 AM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have a great George Jones - Porter Wagoner story, but it's not for mixed company. grin

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Listening to something on Austin City Limits called Arcade fire. Very interesting band. There's like 8 of them who change instruments from guitar to mandolin to accordion to keyboard to fiddles to some weird instrument one of the girls played where she seems to be turning a crank with her right hand. Picture an oversized guitar with a jack in the box crank on the strap button. That's what it looked like. All versatile players. Music is like Dexie's Midnight Runners meet alternative meet Enya on meth.

Edit: I have identified that weird thing as a hurdy gurdy.

Last edited by eddie1261; 07/25/17 07:16 PM.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Sting played a hurdy gurdy on the Grammys a few years ago in a duet with Allison Krauss.

Arcade Fire have actually been around for quite awhile. Once the darlings of the indie rock scene.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
One of the things I noticed in the article was how 6 string acoustic guitar was growing in users and listeners who wanted the sound of the acoustic guitar and other instruments in an acoustic setting as close to a back porch as they could get it!

Been there! Done that!

Back porch is better. (Live music is better! Bumper stickers should be issued!)

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 07/26/17 02:01 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I notice in your youtube link that the drummer has headphones on .. a click for a country show??
Some would call that cheating ..
Or maybe he just needed to hear the rest of the band <grin>

I watch for stuff like this; and I analyze. If we are doing a 'show' there WILL be a click.
Good on them.

If we are jamming at a local small time pub, maybe not, but I assume at this level the show is planned/timed/clicked.
Just noticing

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
GJonesDrummer.jpg (150.99 KB, 66 downloads)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I can't imagine recording a song where the guitar wasn't considered .. can't even think of many recordings here where it doesn't exist in the end result.
It ain't going anywhere soon.

Quote:
I'll probably pick up an album as well.

Though there IS that whole Ann Arbor thing... maybe that is a misprint and they are really from Columbus...

Really? We're a few hours apart. We could be friends, and this is what eats at you?
yer funny

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv

Really? We're a few hours apart. We could be friends, and this is what eats at you?
yer funny

O-H, baby!!!

Buckeye Nation.

As I was selling gear, I had interest in my guitar from a girl in that city up north. I almost didn't sell it to her because I didn't want it to go "there". I relented though so I could buy my RV.

Last edited by eddie1261; 07/27/17 03:26 AM.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Here's another band that is pretty danged popular right now, that I forgot about but that I am enjoying and one could even argue that they have guitar solos:

The War on Drugs

They have a new album coming out soon. I have recently bought their last album.

This is a pretty touching video promoting one of the new songs.

https://youtu.be/6-oHBkikDBg

There are fair comparisons between the singer and Bob Dylan, but this guy sings a little better; some 80's synth treatments, a driving bass guitar line, nice little figures at the ends of phrases.

Great cruising music.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Nothing in music is really "dying", the overall market is huge and diverse. Jazz is dying, the guitar is dying, piano is dying etc, etc. Not true in a literal sense because there are successful young, new artists in all those genres but that's not what this thread is about.

This thread is about the overall marketplace from a manufacturers pov. If a market has shrunk down to say 20% of what it used to be then given cheaper overseas competition 20% isn't enough to keep Fender and Gibson in business. Look at this thread about the top 100 downloaded songs:

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=423799#Post423799

There's not much of what we're talking about in that list. Some, sure like I said but nothing like it was 30 years ago. Again, it's the overall market as a whole that we're talking about not the exceptions. It's like classical music. It used to be the hot, trending thing 200-300 years ago. Is it dead no, but it's not driving anybody's market either.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,628
Posts735,232
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Steve Smith, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185