Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
#41920 - 11/07/09 10:05 PM [Off-Topic] Most important 30 years ever. When and why?
WienSam Offline

Loc: A corner of Vienna, Austria, t...

In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love; they had five hundred years of democracy and peace and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

Orson Welles, The Third Man, 1949

I would say, musically, 1955-1985. Rock & Roll and the birth of Pop - From Elvis and Buddy Holly to The Rolling Stones and The Beatles, right through to Dire Straits and Bruce Springsteen (not to mention others).

What would you say?
Follow That Dream

Karaoke King

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what

#41921 - 11/08/09 07:37 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Most important 30 years ever. When and why? [Re: WienSam]
rharv Offline

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
Certainly not the last thirty ..musically speaking
Make your sound your own!

#41922 - 11/08/09 11:06 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Most important 30 years ever. When and why? [Re: rharv]
rockstar_not Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Impossible question to answer.

I would possibly say that when music was first typeset - the 30 years that included that - could be considered the most important. Music could then be shared.

I could say it was the 30 years that included when Les Paul practically invented the electric guitar AND multi-track recording.

I could say it was the 30 years that included the launch of the Macintosh and the IBM-PC.

I could say it was the most recent 30 years - as it democratized the distribution of music, at least to the part of the world with access to the Internet. I've been able to 'play' my music for those of you here - some in Austria, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Deutschland, England, Finland, Georgia, Hungary, Italy, Japan, etc. And I have had listens by folks from all of those places. The Internet made it possible for me.

Those are just technology reasons for answering the question.

Stylistically - I think that this is up to the listener. I could pick any 30 year period of music that I listen to or has heritage from, and make up reasons for why it's the most important - including the most recent 30 years.

#41923 - 11/08/09 11:52 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Most important 30 years ever. When and why? [Re: rockstar_not]
HappyTrails Offline

Loc: adrift on a raft, far from lan...
Everybody thinks the music they grew up with is best.

Of course, everybody except me, is wrong.
Like the man said, "ain't that a kick in the head!"

#41924 - 11/08/09 05:40 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Most important 30 years ever. When and why? [Re: HappyTrails]
Glenn Kolot Offline

Loc: Victoria BC home of PG Music

Everybody thinks the music they grew up with is best.

Of course, everybody except me, is wrong.

And I think you win the prize.

However, since I grew up in the forties and fifties, I'm pretty sure the best period was from the early fifties to 1958.

#41925 - 11/08/09 06:24 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Most important 30 years ever. When and why? [Re: Glenn Kolot]
Matt Finley Online   content

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
To 1958? What happened after 1958 to make you say the best period ended then? Two quick examples for 1959: the introduction of Bossa Nova in this country, and the release of 'Kind of Blue' by Miles Davis. I would not have wanted to miss those. My 30-year period starts in 1959.
BIAB 2018 PC Audiophile; [& 2017 Mac]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#41926 - 11/08/09 07:47 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Most important 30 years ever. When and why? [Re: Matt Finley]
Glenn Kolot Offline

Loc: Victoria BC home of PG Music

Whoops, I should have put a few winking, laughing, smirking icons in my post.

If your 30 year period starts in 1959, then you're just too young to know anything (wink, chuckle).

BN was certainly a great development (started by a Brazilian pianist I believe - Antonio Carlos Brasileiro de Almeida something). Great compositions - the harmonies are different but great. One of my favourites is Dindi. I remember where I was when I heard the news of his death - listening to CBC radio while driving down Sahali Drive just past the school, in Kamloops, BC on the way to work - sad news.

I really don't think there is a definitive time period - in reality it's a continuum. But we can have fun BS-ing each other.

#41927 - 11/08/09 08:06 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Most important 30 years ever. When and why? [Re: Glenn Kolot]
Mike sings Offline

Loc: Friesland, The Netherlands
I wouldn't want to miss Vivaldi, Beethoven, Rachmaninov, Robert Johnson, Jango Reinhard, ...

The timeperiod between these musicians is quite a bit longer than 30 years. I think every period in time has it's own good music and it's own evergreens. Even in the '90's and now there's some very fine music being made. You just have to look harder to find it because all of the sh** the business wants you to like and to buy; the easy-to-listen-to, no-highs-and-lows, just-add-water-to-eat, as-long-as-it-has-a-beat simpleton noise most people call music nowadays. But there is still music made by real musicians.

#41928 - 11/08/09 08:08 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Most important 30 years ever. When and why? [Re: WienSam]
MarioD Online   content

Loc: Hamlin NY
The most important 40 years ever was between 1964 and 2004 because those were the years I was giging
Yesterday I walked into a room and remembered why I was there! It was the bathroom!

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#41929 - 11/08/09 08:50 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Most important 30 years ever. When and why? [Re: MarioD]
Mike sings Offline

Loc: Friesland, The Netherlands

The most important 40 years ever was between 1964 and 2004 because those were the years I was giging

#41930 - 11/09/09 01:41 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Most important 30 years ever. When and why? [Re: Mike sings]
Gary Curran Offline

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa 98370
How could anyone suggest that the most important period of music could only fall into a 30 year period. The last 100 years has brought great change in the styles, production, reproduction, and form of music. In the early 1900s, much of the music that a family enjoyed was the simple piano in the parlor, often played by the mother or daughters of the household. While recordings existed, they were scarce and not to be had by many.

Almost 40 years later, the great swing bands filled our concert halls, rode the airwaves into our homes over radio waves and lifted the spirit of an entire country, or even the world.

Twenty years after that what was streaming into our homes was television, with images of our favorite artists as well as their music. Stereophonic sound was being reproduced on our radios, phonographs and tape recordings.

A further 20 years from there, we entered the 'Digital Audio Age' with the release of Compact Disc, giving us reproduction levels no one had ever been able to imagine before that.

The computer revolution gave musicians the ability to take that lone piano from the 1900s and gave us multitudes of sounds that could be played at the same time.

Today, we can record nearly at a studio quality in our homes, can take our high fidelity music with us, carry thousands of songs that have been recorded over the years and play them at will.

Yet, where would this be without the primal beatings of a log or a stone in a rhythmic pattern from thousands of years ago? The song of the heart given to voice?

No, there is no such thing as the most important 30 years of music, it ALL has been important.

Music touches everyone, and everyone can touch music, if they wish.

#41931 - 11/09/09 09:51 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Most important 30 years ever. When and why? [Re: Gary Curran]
mglinert Offline

Loc: France, but I'm an ex-pat Brit
It’s hard for us in 2009 to put this into any kind or historical perspective.
While some musical movements can seem important, or even major watersheds at the time (punk, grunge, hip-hop, whatever….), when you look at the big picture you realise they are not all that radical after all.

However, it is likely that the advent of music essentially made by powered instruments, notably the electric guitar, will be of significance.
Marc's SoundCloud
Marc's SoundClick

#41932 - 11/09/09 10:30 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Most important 30 years ever. When and why? [Re: mglinert]
Axegrinder01 Offline

Loc: Texas
1900-1930, if I was forced to pick just a 30-year time slot. In the USA...

The birth of Blues and Jazz...all follows from those forms.

Having said that, music is just too universal to be confined into any particular era. There is probably something profound happening in music every moment.
Fire, the wheel, and the I IV V -- foundations of civilization.

#41933 - 11/09/09 11:26 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Most important 30 years ever. When and why? [Re: Mike sings]
John Conley Offline

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
Sadly, music was once a participatory event, one of joy, elation, or sadness, depending on the occasion. As John Kenneth Galbraith stated in a lecture in at the Ontario Institute for the Study of Education, "we have gone from a generation of singers of music to a generation of listeners." (a paraphrase from the quotes.) The fact is stark, you no longer have school choirs in many places, no one sits around the parlour and sings. It survived for a while, but radio, tv, ipods, even record players, although important, have changed the landscape and robbed us of the emotional links our ancestors had to music.

I have purchased and donated many old music books that predate recorded music. They tell a story of a time and an era when music was much different from today. In places it lives on, remote areas of Canada still have family bands, sing a-longs, and ceilidhs. For a while after TV came out, you had sing a-longs, follow the bouncing ball, hymn sing programs, but they too have faded away.

My wife's family being French Canadian still have 8 or 10 occasions a year, rent a hall, and pull out fiddles, guitars, mouth organs, and a caller for the square dances. But that's dying. Everyone is plugged into headphones, oblivious to the world, and lost in some never never land of boom boom.

Music went from the era before print when it was shared, chants were learned, and songs were passed down. It's interesting that many generations of Eskimos on the east side of Hudson's Bay all play fiddle, the old scottish way, learned by rote from the Scots that ran the trading posts. They were filmed and to everyone's surprise the tunes had morphed in Scotland, but were the same in the isolation of Northern Canada.

As the print media evolved so did music. You can trace it's evolution through the dark ages, old songs like When Johnny Comes Marching Home, the older version was far more graphic. Then as the age of enlightenment allowed musicians to be the equal of others rather than virtual slaves eating in the kitchen with the maids and popping out to perform sonatas or new compositions for the 'Lords and Ladies' to the period where Mozart made a stab at music as a business.

As musicians rose in stature, and opera houses and concert halls were built, even the common person could attend the opera. The Victorian era almost killed music, pushed away the ribald songs of the previous era, and pushed very proper hymns into churches. Prohibition had an effect, pushing music and drinking underground. And then as we moved into the age of tv it became about watching someone else, not participating. I've been to clubs with outstanding performers, and the patrons are all watching a football game, wanting the owner to shut down the music and turn up the sports.

Ok, so those are the highlights of observations without the footnotes, my basis of a thesis that is partly written, and of course my viewpoints thrown like autumn leaves on a fall stream, ready to freeze for the winter before going the rest of the way to someplace in the sparkle of clear spring another year dawns and I try and preserve my families musical heritage....

As the schools are ripping up old songbooks to rid us of Steven Foster, and burning copies of To Kill a Mockingbird in order to ensure political correctness...I wonder who is going to bring back the music.
John Conley
Musica est vita

#41934 - 11/10/09 03:11 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Most important 30 years ever. When and why? [Re: Mike sings]
RickeG Offline

Mike, I love your description for the current music being produced today. May I borrow it?

And you are right in that every era had its contributors. It is virtually impossible, setting aside sentimentalism of course, to say there was a specific time when music was at its peak.

I would like to contribute this thought, where would John Mayer be without Stevie Ray Vaughn? And where would SRV be without Albert King? And we go on so forth and so forth. Just by the fact that each of us are offsprings of what influences us proves that music has always had great contributors throughout time.

It's a great art in that we can choose to replicate or innovate using it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
User Tip - Custom Drum Shots

Have you ever wanted more control of the RealDrums generated within Band-in-a-Box? (example: with the same consecutive shot/hold/push)

Forum user Pipeline shared their steps in an incredibly detailed forum post to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out: Custom Drum Shots.

#FunFactFriday - Team PG!

Did you know... Within Band-in-a-Box®, choose Help | About Band-in-a-Box, and you'll see more than just information on the program - you'll also see a complete list of Team PG - we're currently at 35 team members!

#TBT - Automatic Soloing in Band-in-a-Box® 7!

Band-in-a-Box® 7 included some great new features - like Automatic Soloing! This introduced program users to the powerful Soloist capabilities of Band-in-a-Box®, which also includes the Soloist Maker.

Automatic Soloing!
Pick any song or chords in any style, and choose a "soloist." Band-in-a-Box® then creates and plays a professional quality solo in the style of your choice. Previous versions of Band-in-a-Box created great accompaniment. Now you can hear sensational solos as well - showing you exactly what notes are played. Choose from "soloists" in the style similar to great Jazz musicians such as Django Reinhardt, John Coltrane, or Country/Pop soloists and others, or create your own soloists using the "Soloist Maker."

Soloist Maker
This module allows you to define your own soloists. For example, let's say you want to create a soloist in a style similar to the style of "John Coltrane" - the great Jazz saxophonist. The Soloist Maker allows you to define the parameters essential to Coltrane's playing, such as instrument range (i.e. tenor saxophone), extra legato playing, playing more on top of the beat than typical Jazz musicians, and playing straighter 8th notes than usual Swing 8th notes. Also, you can set phrasing options, such as how long the phrase should be and how much "space" to leave between phrases. You can also set how "outside" the playing should be. In the case of a John Coltrane style - you set that to the maximum! Then "turn him loose" and hear the soloist play over any song!

Review all of the features added with Band-in-a-Box® 7:

#TechTipTuesday - Opening MIDI Tracks in PowerTracks Pro Audio

Open your MIDI file in PowerTracks Pro Audio (or RealBand), and you'll see the instruments separated onto their own track - an excellent way to hear all the instruments individually for that song, and a great way to learn!

There's no trick to it either - just use the File | Open dialog, locate the MIDI file, and click [Open].

Note: Type 0 MIDI files have all channels on one track, and should ask whether you want to separate them. If you accidentally chooses no, hit Edit - MIDI - Extract Channels to Tracks. Typically, Type 1 MIDI files have the instruments automatically separated.

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows we also released 202 NEW RealTracks, including 8 Sets (68 RealTracks) for Rock-Pop!

Learn more about these and listen to demos:

RealPAK 14: Rock-Pop includes:
RealTracks Set 286: Pop & Rock Guitars with Brent & Joe
RealTracks Set 287: Pop Songwriter - Acoustic Guitar
RealTracks Set 288: Southern Pop Drums with Land Richards
RealTracks Set 289: Fretless Bass, Pop Keys, and Punk Drums
RealTracks Set 290: More Pop Percussion Singles
RealTracks Set 291: Modern Dancehall
RealTracks Set 292: Klezmer!
RealTracks Set 293: A Taste of Europe - France, Italy, and Sweden

Purchasing the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 PlusPAK, UltraPAK, or Audiophile Edition? These new Rock-PopRealTracks are already included!
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Pro and MegaPAK customers interested in adding these to their collection can purchase RealPAK 14: Rock-Pop for just $79 at

Audio Edit Window Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, the Audio Edit Window GUI has been updated to include a dedicated settings button and a Marker Mode button. Plus, editing features can now be applied to the entire track (if no specific region is highlighted).

We've also added the following items to the Edit button within the Audio Edit Window:

Paste (Mix) - This will mix the audio from the clipboard with the existing audio instead of overwriting it. You will be given the option to set the percentage of the existing audio to keep and the pasted audio to mix in.
Paste (Insert) - This will insert the audio from the clipboard to the current location, instead of overwriting the existing audio. The audio to the right of the insertion point will be shifted to make room for the new audio.
Delete - This will delete the selected region of audio.
Insert Silence - This will insert silence at the cursor. The duration of the silence inserted will be equal to the duration of the selected region.
Convert Channels - If the audio is stereo, this will convert it to mono. If it’s mono, this will convert it to stereo. You will be given the option to set the percentage of the left and right channels to include.
Harmonize - This will launch the Audio Harmony dialog, which can be used to harmonize the selected region of audio.
Transcribe - This will transcribe the audio to the Melody or Soloist track.
Fix Tuning - This will automatically correct the tuning of the selected region according to the key of your song. For example, in the key of C, if a C# is detected then it will be transposed down to C or up to D depending on which one is closer.

YouTube Find - Tools to Improve Your Music Composition

My secret weapon is Band-in-a-Box...
Brian Johnston

Brian explains why we're his secret weapon in this great article: Improving Music Composition Diversity

And he even created the following video: Tools to Improve Your Music Composition

Forum Stats
27231 Members
49 Forums
50659 Topics
416748 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
prems, Ivan, riposte, WebMonks, Leo Baeta

27229 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 182
VideoTrack 157