Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
Here's an easy way to add more Midi and Audio/RealTracks without leaving Biab and going to RealBand or your DAW.
This also allows you to generate up a track just how you like, like MuliRiffs, by custom generating any section you like:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=394393

Expert
Expert
Now that's a great find ! Thnx ....F

Veteran
Veteran
Very impressive, Pipeline. I missed the original post for this.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
It's like having a DAW within Biab, have as many RealTracks & Midi as you like.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB-energyXT.gif (1.28 MB, 295 downloads)
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
Midi tracks:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB-energyXT-midi.gif (538.43 KB, 291 downloads)
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
Edit midi:

BB-energyXT-midi-edit.gif (918.53 KB, 287 downloads)
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
Playing, you can Edit > SongForm > Unfold, it has a 2 bar offset as BB starts on -1 for the 2 bar count off:

BB-energyXT-playing.gif (788.77 KB, 285 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
This goes back to what I have been asking for in the wish list for the last few years. That is open up all 16 channels for MIDI and Audio. Problem solved with no work-around.

This is an excellent work-around but it might be easier with all channels open. YMMV.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: MarioD
This goes back to what I have been asking for in the wish list for the last few years. That is open up all 16 channels for MIDI and Audio. Problem solved with no work-around.

This is an excellent work-around but it might be easier with all channels open. YMMV.

I'm not proficient with midi nor can I play Piano/keyboard. But, I once owned a Yamaha PSR-950 workstation. It had a composer section that resembled a 16 track recorder. I used that recorder to build tracks one finger or chord at a time. Sometimes the completed work actually sounded as if a competent musician had played everything at once.

Is that what you are referencing saying to open all 16 channels for midi and audio in BIAB? I'm not clearly understanding how a similar workflow would progress in BIAB.

I know two variations of old school mixing that easily free tracks in BIAB that can sum to a total of 16 tracks for recording additional audio or midi but I'm not clearly understanding the channel assignments. Could you explain a bit the benefit of having the 16 channels if BIAB had 16 tracks and how you would build a song? My work around may be something you could use.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
Charlie, by channels I mean tracks. Right now you have 5 tracks open to either MIDI or RTs while the rest of the tracks are dedicated to melodist, harmony, MIDI guitar etc. I wish is to open all tracks to the user.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Charlie, by channels I mean tracks. Right now you have 5 tracks open to either MIDI or RTs while the rest of the tracks are dedicated to melodist, harmony, MIDI guitar etc. I wish is to open all tracks to the user.

That's the way I was interpreting your post but my knowledge base of midi is not that deep but that's how the Yamaha workstation multitrack recorder worked. Normally, track 10 was used for drums, track 1 for piano, track 2 for bass, track 4 for melody and track 7,8 for guitars

The multitrack operation of BIAB is similar to the Tascam DP series of multitrack recorders. I have used Tascam Portastudios for many years and for most of those years, tracks were limited to 4 or 8 tracks and bouncing was essential. With digital recording and hard disks, the track count increased to 24/32 actual tracks but the total number of tracks using virtual tracks and bouncing is practically limitless.

The Tascam DP008 pocketstudio can record mono or stereo tracks and is marketed as a six track model, (2 mono tracks and 2 stereo tracks), it is simply an upgrade of an earlier model DP004 which had 4 mono tracks. Pocketstudios and Portastudios can record two tracks simultaneously. But by bouncing tracks (digitally) to a virtual track, you can record all 4 tracks, using all of the available inputs, then bounce these four onto a single or if stereo, to two tracks into a virtual track that replaces one or two (stereo) recorded physical tracks. Continuing to follow those steps, you can record an unlimited number of total tracks bouncing the four available tracks in various combinations. Being digital, there is no loss of quality in the rendered recording. I have posted Tascam Dp multitrack examples in another thread here on the forum and you can hear how well they record for yourself.

Biab Features of the audio track and Performance Tracks allow Biab to record and save tracks in a very similar manner to the Tascam DP series recorder. In other words, nearly an unlimited number of tracks can be generated, mixed and bounced....

The feature of being able to record multiple instruments on a single track add to the recording versatility of Biab. (Punch in/out)

I will give an example of multitrack recording beyond the eight visible Biab tracks but make note, there are many variations of this technique and this is only limited by the requirements of the song and your imagination. You may already be aware of this technique but I don't recall ever seeing it discussed in depth here on the forum.

EXAMPLE:

After you've completed a chord chart - by inputting yourself, import a midi or a chart generated via the ACW, or just open any existing sgu file.

Select a style. I chose OUTRAGE.STY a five track Realstyle for this example.

Pan and mix the tracks. You can add additional tracks to the audio, Melody and Soloist tracks if desired.

Render all the tracks to a WAV audio file to your desktop. According to your needs, you may decide to render just a few tracks; for instance, drums and bass and a loop track...

Import the rendered audio file to the Audio Track. It should default to 1.1.0 and sync with the existing tracks. Use the Audio Editor to sync the tracks if necessary. I haven't had to do this so far.

Select Audio/Move Audio to Performance Track

A window will open to allow you to select any track other than the audio track. You will be prompted to save the file if it hasn't been saved at this point.

Since my song normally will only have one bass or drum track, I select one of these tracks to move the Performance track to. It will be a stereo track.

At this point, all of the remaining tracks including the audio track are available to select styles, Realtracks, midi tracks, Supermidi or audio and free to add additional tracks to be rendered to your song.

Continue rendering the new generated tracks over the existing chord chart. MUTE the performance track(s) unless it's desired to be included in the bounce to a new audio file to be exported and reimported back into the audio file and converted and moved to another track as a performance track.

This process can be repeated many times without loss of audio quality. You can use F5 to have newly generated tracks to contain multiple instruments. A very complex arrangement can quickly be generated in this manner and never leave the Biab program. This technique works with both PC and Mac versions. Effects and VST's can be applied. Performance group tracks can be rendered together to form larger group performance tracks. Although only a single audio track can be recorded at once, using this method allows for multiple audio tracks such as vocals and additional backing tracks to be recorded into Biab mixed, rendered, exported and reimported back to the audio track, made into a performance track and moved to another track.

A very powerful benefit of doing this in Biab rather than moving to RealBand is the Stylepicker for Biab is different than the Stylepicker in RB. The RB Stylepicker does not contain the feature to audition styles over your chord progression but that feature is available in Biab Stylepicker. A style can sound dramatically different played over your chord progression from how it sounds playing the demo. Some RealStyles contain up to five tracks of RealTracks so you can also audition hundreds of Rt's in just minutes versus the time required to do the same in RB.

You may already be aware of this technique but as I've noted, I've not seen it discussed in depth here on the forum before. Hopefully I've described the process with enough clarity you can experiment with the techniques and find some use from it.

Charlie

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 06/27/17 01:38 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
Yes Charlie I understand your bouncing process. It is a very creative use of BiaB and it is different than my 16 track suggestion.

I have a different workflow. When I want more tracks from BiaB I will transfer the tracks into Sonar, go back to BiaB then transfer this into Sonar. In Sonar I cut, paste, blend, control volume, pan, etc.

Your workflow is perfect for someone who knows exactly what they want and they can stay in BiaB. Being the scatter brain that I am most of the time I have a general idea of what I want but I will not get to my goal until I use the trail and error method.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I understand Mario. I also use a similar workflow as you and incorporate either RealBand or Studio One DAW or both on occasion. While you can export as many Biab tracks as needed now, I can see where having 16 available at once would be quite useful.

You are correct that for the user making backing tracks and is more concerned with generating a song 'in the style of' tracks and who won't be doing a lot of cutting and pasting and letting Biab do all the heavy lifting, then bouncing can quickly allow them to spice up the finished product with some additional instruments without transferring tracks over to a DAW.

The biggest benefit for me is how quickly styles and realtracks can be auditioned in the Biab using the Biab stylepicker and the play using my chord progression feature rather than the RB stylepicker which takes quite a bit more time.

Your workflow is more traditional and better known as well as used by most users by a large percentage over the bouncing method I believe.

Charlie

P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
Biab was designed as that, a Band that will start play instantly, so it plays in Ram.
Now it has evolved for other purposes it could easily have something like energyXT within it so everything can be done within the confines of Biab. Maybe the new 64bit version will have this.

Veteran
Veteran
Charlie, like myself I am sure that many others had not heard of your bouncing workflow until now. I'm sure there will be more users investigating your methodology.

P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
Also midiLooper is another one if you just need more midi tracks only.

Veteran
Veteran
Thanx pipeline. I know about MIDILooper but I have never used it. If I ever again need/want more BiaB tracks I will give it a try.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,439
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195