Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Reaper and BIAB are a perfect combination. Both run simultaneously on my DAW (ASIO to Reaper and MME to BIAB).

My workflow almost always starts in BIAB which provides the source of the inspiration and the tools to lay out the song structure. All composition is done in BIAB as well as much of the arrangement of the backing tracks.

Then everything is moved to Reaper (each individual track) where my recording is all performed. Reaper is a rock solid DAW which can handle all the VSTi, midi input, guitar and vocal recording without a hickup. It will also permit flexible routing of any device such as the VLT2 and midi keyboard.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Dan,

Thanks for all the info RE BIAB and TC. I have the new TC VL3X and am trying to integrate it into my setup. So all this helps a lot. I was not able to download the redirector. Could I get a copy from you.

Thanks,
Rob

Expert
Expert
Interesting, heard some demos of the TC VL3X, got a little interested, for studio use especially. Seems a great weapon for live performances, but reading the specs, 16bit 48kHz max only (as IMO 24bit already really makes a substantial difference), the specific floorboard design, and maybe too limited harmony control (??) via midi i think it would be not suitable for me . Pity the cheaper TC stuff have very limited external control functions, as their harmony functions sound good. F

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rob Buford
So all this helps a lot. I was not able to download the redirector. Could I get a copy from you.

Rob, you have a PM.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Journeyman
Journeyman
Dan,

I'm also running Reaper and BIAB. Very stable setup. Are you doing any recording into Reaper with the TC? As I said I have a new VL3X, and would be interested in knowing your particular hookup info between the TC and Reaper. Thanks for any advice you might wish to share.

Rob

Veteran
Veteran
Dan,

I'm also running Reaper and BIAB. Very stable setup. Are you doing any recording into Reaper with the TC? As I said I have a new VL3X, and would be interested in knowing your particular hookup info between the TC and Reaper. Thanks for any advice you might wish to share.

Rob

Rob, I touched on my outcome with BIAB earlier in the thread.

1) I was never able to really integrate it into my live BIAB show. Too complex and not enough time to master it to the level necessary.

In the end I did little work with the TC-VLT2 in BIAB but quickly moved to Reaper with it. Here is what I found.

For Studio Work I never got it to work as I wanted - I was not successful in routing-in and recording a dry signal and then applying the VLT2 effects to that and bouncing the track. The routing of the VLT2 was just not flexible enough (although it claimed to be), it just didn't work for me.

Direct recording of the wet-effects was not problem into Reaper. And routing of a midi signal to control the harmonies was doable with Reaper. But what I wanted, and have never found, is a full VST app which you can apply effects on a dry vocal track.

Reaper still runs on my machine, but the VLT2 is in the closet. I am looking for a project to pull it out again. so maybe I will have an update for you in the near future.

Journeyman
Journeyman
I spent the last two days woodshedding with the TC Helicon VL3X and was able to make some great progress in getting a recording setup going. As has been mentioned in this thread this piece of equipment is a real beast with more capability than anyone would ever need. The 200+ page reference manual covers all the gritty details. It's an amazing machine. I don't know what the VL2 is capable of but the VL3X seems to cover all the bases. BTW, this is not my first rodeo with TC Helicon harmonizers as I still own a TCH VoicePrism rackmount harmonizer that I got back in 2000. Still works great but no match for the VL3X.

So here's the scoop on recording:

Recording to a DAW with the VL3X is a snap. Just connect your computer to the VL3X with a USB cable, select the VL3X as your audio input/output device in your DAW and you're ready to rock.

You get two channels of output to the VL3X and two channels back to the DAW. There are three recording MODES with this setup that should handle anything you want to do:

1. The STEREO mode sends your DAW output into the VL3X where the NATURAL PLAY feature reads the key perfectly and adds the correct harmonies to your vocal. The STEREO mode ADDS your DAW output to your VOCAL as well so if that isn't what you wanted there are two other MODES.

2. The DAW TRACKING mode is the same as the STEREO mode except the DAW audio is NOT added to your vocal and you can record a vocal only track with or without the VL3X effects.

3. And lastly, the DAW INSERT mode allows you to send a dry track (vocal or instrument) from your DAW to the VL3X for processing and subsequent return to your DAW for recording on a new track.

Other than the USB cable the only other input I needed into the VL3X was the mic. Pretty simple.

As for live performance, the VL3X can load and play backing tracks (created by BIAB for example)from it's USB port via a thumbdrive (or a properly formatted external hard disk). It can sequence and play the backing tracks and can be programmed to add whatever effects/processing you want to each individual backing track along with your vocal/guitar performance. I have NOT played with this feature yet but it seems pretty straightforward. Just dump all your BIAB files to MP3s on a thumbdrive and create a set list in the VL3X. BTW, the VL3X can also record your performances to the thumbdrive as well.

To learn more about these subjects I suggest downloading the VL3Z reference manual from the TC Helicon website and read the section on USB AUDIO for starters.

http://www.tc-helicon.com/media/4006/tc-helicon_voicelive_3_reference_manual_english.pdf

Later,
Rob

Veteran
Veteran
I am heading to the closet to pull out the old VLT2. I think it is a bit more limited than that fancy new unit, but you peeked my interest. thanks for update.

Expert
Expert
Hello Rob. Thanks for the info on your VL3X, by now i'm getting a little curious about the stuff you record with it ... F

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: fiddler2007
Hello Rob. Thanks for the info on your VL3X, by now i'm getting a little curious about the stuff you record with it ... F

Hi Fiddler...

I'll be using the VL3X exclusively in our studio and not in a live situation, although it seems perfect for that too. So we'll be using it on creating covers, original songs etc. utilizing BIAB for the most part to create our backing tracks. We then transfer the BIAB tracks to our DAW for further processing, additional vocals, guitar, and mixing/mastering. The VL3X will save us tons of time on creating harmonies for demos and the like. Since we just got this thing we haven't completed any projects with it but we have tried it on one new original song project, at least partially. Here's a sample:

Not Every Day Was Sad

This is nowhere near completed and the harmonies only occur in the chorus near the end. But you get the idea. Sounds pretty good to me. Imagine if we really tried. cool

Rob

J
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
J
How accurate are the VL3X harmonies generated from a mixed BIAB track played from a thumb drive? Does it really work well that way? I thought it produced vocal harmonies only via midi or a guitar input signal. This discussion has peeked my interest, if it will provide harmonies from an audio track. That opens a lot of doors.

Expert
Expert
Rob, thanks; ... as for vocal studio work etc i am and was always messing around with all sorts of VST stuff, and even the newer vocaloids recently. Varying results, but it never got me near the real thang with some hired ladies & gents, but it's always too tempting as you can change stuff melodically, even lyrics, until the very end of some project. Saves costs too.

IMO 16bits digital (Audiophile and the VL3X?) always gets too a point when too many digital tracks get together in a mix, the lot starts sounding like a wild river after a rainstorm upstream; you really need good DA (and AD) converters and word clock to reduce muddiness and keep details clear. Although in the old days a 16bit Akai DR8 multi-tracker could sound surprisingly good linked to an external clock signal.

Now who here is going to experiment with the VL3X producing out some nice a Capella barbershop vocal work, and/or transgender vocals? PS your song, sound, music & singing is great ... F

Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
[quote=lambada]

Thanks MusicStudent, a bit 50+ cheesy result LoL? Guess good enough when used live though.

Journeyman
Journeyman
I think the VL3X (and the VL3) have their uses. I suppose the danger is to become enamored of the technology and try to use it on everything because it sounds so good. This thing does a LOT of cool stuff. You just have to check out YouTube to hear a small part of it's capabilities.

I'd prefer real voices to computer generated harmonies IF I have folks available that want to spend the time to lay down real harmony parts. And in fact I usually record my own parts when time is not an issue. But for a songwriter who wants to create something where harmonies are a big part of the creation the VL3X can help you get the effect you're looking for quickly. Not unlike using BIAB to create a new song and get a feel for how it would sound fully produced.

As for the technical quality, even 16 bit stuff works for me for this kind of work. I use BIAB EP rather than Audiophile and I've never been unhappy with it. In fact the last 10 albums I produced had quiet a few BIAB songs on them.

Note that the VL3X manual provides the following DA/AD conversion specs as:

"D to A Conversion 24 Bit, 128 x oversampling bitstream, 115 dB SNR A-weighted"

"A to D Conversion 24 Bit, 128 x oversampling bitstream, 110 dB SNR A-weighted"

While the quality of and accuracy of the harmonies are as good as I've ever heard they are still computer generated and if used "as is" can sound a bit mechanical. But it's not so apparent that I'd decline to use it. Again you have to decide if the final product you're creating is worth the additional effort and cost of using real harmonies. There are a number of professional groups using the VL Rack in their performances and I imagine in their recording work.

The old TC VoicePrism required a midi guide track for creating vocal harmonies. Whereas the VL3Z accurately reads audio input to create tracks, whether its a guitar, keyboard, or a full audio file. Here's a clip from our initial woodshedding experiments with the VL3X with just my guitar. Don't laugh now, it's what it is. But the harmonies follow the guitar perfectly; the only limitation to accurate harmony creation is my dodgy vocal performance. Again this is one-take stuff and totally unedited:

VL3X Test 1

VL3X Test 2

If this is how I can sound doing a one-take performance I'd have no qualms about taking the VL3X to the stage. Also, just sitting down with a guitar and playing around with the VL3X you get all kinds of ideas for a song or lyric, very much like you do with BIAB. It's inspirational. Not much else can do that these days. What a great recording recording partner the VL3X is when used with BIAB. Some cool stuff there, boy! cool

Later,
Rob

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for sharing the vocal demos. Sounds darn good - No shame in your game! You have this thing figured out pretty well. I think the TCHelicon products do vocal harmonies better than any other hardware unit out there (no software solution compares). My biggest problem with the VL3X is the cost grin otherwise I would tradeup the VLT2 to get the better routing capabilities. These are fun units.

Expert
Expert
Note that the VL3X manual provides the following DA/AD conversion specs as:
"D to A Conversion 24 Bit, 128 x oversampling bitstream, 115 dB SNR A-weighted"
"A to D Conversion 24 Bit, 128 x oversampling bitstream, 110 dB SNR A-weighted"

Ah, that makes more sense, and especially when you use it as computer DAW interface too .... i used a TC Finalizer 96kHz from when this model came out for mastering about 12 years ago .... only since a year or two i stopped this and use mainly some VST stuff, basically out of laziness since keeping all within the computer saves time than realtime mastering unto a separate hard disk recorder, and reloading suff into the PC. But the Finalizer was and still is a great tool. Even good at reducing the muddiness of badly done 2 track masters. I recently sold it, but with regrets ... F

Journeyman
Journeyman
Dan,

Yea...it's a pretty pricey item. However, I don't have a bass boat or a sportscar or a Harley anymore. So I feel like I can justify the cost considering how much time I devote to my music. Besides, I got mine just before the price went up recently so I saved about $150 off the current price. But frankly I would have bought it anyway. I did a LOT of research on it before I sprung. And I spend a few hundred a year on BIAB so just feeding my musical addiction.

BB cool

Expert
Expert
Rob, did you have a look at the VoiceLive Rack?

[img:left]http://cdn-assets.tc-helicon.com/media/3050/tch-website-feature-overlay-voicelive-rack.jpg?quality=55&width=1680[/img]

Lacks guitar effects which are usually better anyway from other devices according some guitarists, but otherwise a handy tool in a studio.

The VL3x however seem to have far more features, most meant for standalone stage work as f.i. looping, but the TC demos i saw were only based on simple looping: adding stuff to a simple starter, something i am less interested in LoL.

I wonder if these overdubs are built in to separate exportable wavs, or just overdubs always melted down in to one mixdown file. Can one combine different recorded loops into a song construction and export them as separate WAV files or tracks?.

I remember buying an Akai MPC5000 once in an attempt to find a handy quick and dirty hardware tool for songwriting, but found it too complex regarding workflow and the slightly "limited" sound quality with 16bit AD/DA converters, so i sold it ...

The VL3X seems a success however for TC as they're sold by the bucket load ... F

Last edited by fiddler2007; 07/01/17 11:22 PM.
L
Expert
Expert
L
I really must get my VL3Ext out of its box! I love the VL2 though.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Fiddler,

The VL Rack is what I considered buying first, but from what I can tell it has the old VL2 technology. I doubt it will be long before it's upgraded to the new features.

Apparently TC is finding it more efficient to combine guitar and vocal capabilities into one product. I have a TC G-force guitar effects rackmount unit that has some great sounds. I wouldn't expect TC to incorporate anything less than great quality effects into products like the VL3(X). Historically, it's just not how they roll.

Yea I think TCH hit the motherlode with the VL3X. I have friends calling for setup help whom I wouldn't think would even know about this thing. Since TC doesn't allow discounting apparently, and I've checked prices all over, I'd recommend to anyone making the purchase that they buy it from PG Music. Just another way to support the company we all like so much.

As for looping I don't see where I'd use it that much, but then I haven't delved into that area of the VL3X, yet. A lot of popular music is created with loops, John Mayer comes to mind. Guess we'll have to wait and see on that feature.

I think the USB/thumbdrive BACKING TRACK feature makes the VL3X a great tool for songwriting or just practicing. And if you come up with a great idea you can record it back to the thumbdrive. All you need is your instrument, a vocal mic, the VL3X, a headset and a thumbdrive. No computer required; just throw a bunch of your BIAB created MP3s on the thumbdrive and practice or create til you can't see straight.

Well enough chatter; we're burning daylight. I'm heading to the studio to play with the VL3X and the new Xtra Styles PAK 3 for Band-in-a-Box. There are some very cool styles in there I can't wait to use for a new song or two...or three!

Oh, mommie, we're having some fun now! grin

Later 'tater,
Rob

J
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
J
I hate to be a pest on this issue after all this discussion; but it’s still not clear to me what the VL3X is capable of doing. I’m sure it will track a guitar or midi signal very well to generate vocal harmony. However, before investing that kind of money, here’s what I’d like to know about the audio input: Let’s say you take a fully mixed BIAB track as a wav file and plug it in on a thumb drive. Say, the song is a standard tune, like Misty in Eb. You plug in a mic, make the proper adjustments, start play on the track, and begin to sing (no guitar or anything else plugged in, in this example). Will the VL3X generate appropriate vocal harmonies from the audio track alone, while singing, with no other instrument providing the chords? If it will do that accurately without glitches, then, that’s more than amazing and will get my attention for sure. If anyone has used the VL3X exclusively with the audio input, I’d love to hear about it.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,548
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199