Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
floyd said "a lot of sad in that. " He's right - there is, and for us old school country fans (and bluegrass) sad songs were once the staple of the set list. We performed many sad songs for many years in our bluegrass bands. What many folks don't realize is that they are not easy to write w/o becoming overly maudlin. Songs by the Stanley Brothers come to mind in particular as examples of great sad songs. And Bill Monroe was the master of what he called "true life" songs. Your tune is right square in this wheelhouse. Sad things happen, hope springs eternal and you well expressed those sentiments with the write and heartfelt vocal.

Interestingly the arrangement captures the feel of both older and more modern country. Something a fellow forum member has called Appalachian Honky Tonk with the addition of the banjo.

Well done Mr David!

J&B

Hi J&B,

You are so very kind with your words. Your analogies certainly humbled us. I always liked the Stanley Brothers (Carter & Ralph) and the Clinch Mountain Boys. But Bill Monroe was a little tougher for me. Actually, I loved his songs but something about his voice just didn't sit well in my ears. Nonetheless, he was a master of the genre and had some of the very best songs.

The Stanley Brothers, particularly Carter's original writes, were the epitome of saying a lot with just enough words. Their gospel songs were excellent, too - particularly "I Hear My Savior Calling".

I smiled at your comment regarding the mix of traditional and more modern sounds. I told Di a couple of days ago that if I removed the drums from the mix and used an acoustic bass, this would be very similar to traditional Bluegrass.

Again, thank you so much for you very kind words. I am humbled and I know Bob would be, too. Wishing you both the very best,

Alan & Di (Bob too)

Last edited by Al-David; 06/23/17 01:45 PM.

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
As PeterF noted, sad lyrics framed with happy, jangling banjo. Nice contrast.

Because of the use of pronouns, it took me a minute figure out that each verse introduced a different character. Not that I'm suggesting a rewrite it needed - just that I'm a bit slow-witted as a listener if it's not spelled out for me.

I enjoyed the listen, which seems a bit odd to say about a downer of a song. wink

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I really like the song. Great mix and arrangement. Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Alan! I was just thinking of you and Di the other day, remembering the visit we shared at your home! I know you've been through some rough times since then, but I hope you are doing well at present.

Regarding this song: I like the way you applied the hook to various situations in the main character's life. The sound you've achieved here is hard to fit neatly into a genre cubbyhole, but I can imagine hearing it at the kind of music festival where country, americana and bluegrass are all played. I'm going to call it Americana.

Good hearing from you again, and I hope you keep writing songs. You also write books, don't you? I remember thinking that you are a man of many talents!

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hi Alan,

A really nice song and really good lyrics.
That's life, we use to say (or as the French say: "cést la vie")
The banjo is great.
It's a sad ending, but... somehow the music doesn't correspond to that atmosphere, at least that's how I feel it.
But... that's just a small nit.
All in all it's a very good song smile

Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
As PeterF noted, sad lyrics framed with happy, jangling banjo. Nice contrast.

Because of the use of pronouns, it took me a minute figure out that each verse introduced a different character. Not that I'm suggesting a rewrite it needed - just that I'm a bit slow-witted as a listener if it's not spelled out for me.

I enjoyed the listen, which seems a bit odd to say about a downer of a song. wink

Hi David,

Thanks for the listen and comments. And yeah, it's the life cycle of the sad losses of people close to you. The contrast in lyric and backing tracks is to suggest that although we lose loved ones in way or another, life also has a positive theme and that's what we need to keep everything balanced.

Thanks so much for the review. Glad you enjoyed it.

Alan & Di

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
I really like the song. Great mix and arrangement. Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Always good to hear from you. We're delighted this works for you and that you enjoyed it. Thanks so much for letting us know ... we appreciate it. Best to you.

Alan & Di

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Hi Alan! I was just thinking of you and Di the other day, remembering the visit we shared at your home! I know you've been through some rough times since then, but I hope you are doing well at present.

Regarding this song: I like the way you applied the hook to various situations in the main character's life. The sound you've achieved here is hard to fit neatly into a genre cubbyhole, but I can imagine hearing it at the kind of music festival where country, americana and bluegrass are all played. I'm going to call it Americana.

Good hearing from you again, and I hope you keep writing songs. You also write books, don't you? I remember thinking that you are a man of many talents!

Hi Pat!

Di and I were just discussing you, too! First we often talk about what a great time we had on your visit. It was a real pleasure having you.

Di's health continues to be a major issue. But we deal with the best we can. I'm doing fine. I've had four scans since my chemo and all have come back negative.

Maybe Americana is, indeed, the best niche for this one. Bob and I gave this a little thought before we actually put it yo paper and guitar strings. We wanted to capture the sadness of how we lose loved ones in various ways throughout the cycle of our lives. We tried several slower, more somber backing tracks, but as we mentioned earlier to another reviewer, it sounded like a dirj rather than a "real" song. So, we decided to use the more spirited backing track as the metaphor that there are upbeat happenings to offset the loss and create more positive experiences. We hope the listener might catch that.

Thanks again. A big smile crossed our faces when we saw you had come on and commented on a few songs.

And yes, I write novels. i have two on Amazon at the moment. I'll have another one coming out next month and one more by year's end. Music and writing are very cathartic

Wishing you the very best.

Alan & Di

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Alan,

A really nice song and really good lyrics.
That's life, we use to say (or as the French say: "cést la vie")
The banjo is great.
It's a sad ending, but... somehow the music doesn't correspond to that atmosphere, at least that's how I feel it.
But... that's just a small nit.
All in all it's a very good song smile

Anne-Marie

Hi Rob ^ Anne-Marie.

Thank you very much for taking a listen and commenting. We sure do appreciate that.

As we mentioned in a couple of earlier replies, the music is more upbeat as an intentional contrast ... to make folks aware that with all the losses in our lives, there's also the other side of life. One where the experiences are positive and pleasant. The music represents that facet of the life cycle.

Thanks again for the listen and nice comments. Best top both of you.

Alan & Di

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
First of all I love a song that tells a story, and your write here is a wonderful example of that. A sad ending, but that makes it more real.

Lots of great lines, a couple I really like:

"Everything in life we love isn’t promised us forever
It may be gone tomorrow, perhaps returning never"

and:

"Her body lay there in the bed but Heaven’s where she’s at
She had said her last goodbye
She won’t be coming back"

Really good song!

Dave said it for me Al &Di! Great story/song. Take care. Torrey

User Showcase
E
E
Originally Posted By: Al-David
I've found that music, languages and math all have one very important thing in common ... they have a rather specific syntax. Once you learn that syntax, the rest falls into place much easier.

That's amazing. i would love to more about this syntax thing you are suggesting.

Last edited by erickabadude; 07/12/17 11:22 AM.
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
Online Content
PG Music Staff
I love the truth and the reality in the lyrics. It brings forth some interesting questions. What in life really is forever? Loved it. Very thought provoking!

Cheers,
Ember
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,480
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195