Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
If someone in here could grab the sfz version of this plugin and verify that it gives a "not found" error in sforzando like it continues to do on my end:

http://bigcatinstruments.blogspot.is/2017/05/mihai-sorohan-choir.html

p.s. and if any of you is clever enough to figure out how to fix it, that'd be even better, thanks in advance smile

EDIT: This one has been FIXED, but I'm keeping the whole thread unchanged for the "collective knowledge", "future references", or what have you.

Last edited by Icelander; 07/17/17 04:13 PM. Reason: Further details

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
Veteran
Veteran
It works with the Garritan Aria player on my machine, so I can't duplicate the error.

The "Not found" error sounds like it's not finding the samples. These particular .sfz files have the path to the samples as a relative path. If you aren't seeing any samples

For example, the path to the Ah samples is set in the .sfz file must be located in the choir Ah samples located directly under the .sfz directory:

default_path=\choir Ah samples\

Did you possibly move the .sfz file without moving the sample with them? The error I get when I have the samples in the wrong location looks like this:

slot 0
Not sounds asset loaded
Not found:
C:/ ... blah ... /Vowel Choir SFZ/choir Ah samples/Ah_A3_loud.wav
C:/ ... blah ... /Vowel Choir SFZ/choir Ah samples/Ah_A4_loud.wav
C:/ ... blah ... /Vowel Choir SFZ/choir Ah samples/Ah_A5_loud.wav
C:/ ... blah ... /Vowel Choir SFZ/choir Ah samples/Ah_B3_loud.wav
C:/ ... blah ... /Vowel Choir SFZ/choir Ah samples/Ah_B4_loud.wav
C:/ ... blah ... /Vowel Choir SFZ/choir Ah samples/Ah_B5_loud.wav
C:/...

Also, the keys remain dimmed out since no sample is assigned.

If so, either move the sample folder as well, or edit the path to the samples to an absolute position. (Moving the sample folder is obviously simpler).

The .sfz file is just a plain text file, so you can edit it in a simple plain text editor such as Notepad.

By the way, sforzando automatically reloads .sfz files when it detects they've been changed. So you can load the .sfz in sforzando, edit and save the file in Notepad, and toggle back to sforzando, and the new version will automatically be reloaded.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
It works with the Garritan Aria player on my machine, so I can't duplicate the error.
I'm not sure if that means you're using a different application than I?confused
The set's provider was not, so anything he replied back to me was of no actual help.

As for your outline of a 'not found' error as they'd appear in your app, those do look very similar to what I'm getting on my end - but I haven't relocated anything! shocked
So I'm wondering if the method of "default" the set is using (as noted by the provider) is simply something that the sforzando application doesn't recognise as a valid way to script the locations of the samples, or something like that. At least I'm not seeing this method used in any of the other sfz sets that I've got.
If that is the case, the question still remains how to alter the sfz files so that the sforzando application will 'know' where to look - for this I'm afraid I'll need nothing short of the exact text to copy into the file or I'm bound to mess something up smirk

p.s. On a side note to you, David - I'm glad you picked this one up, for I meant to send it to you regardless for the sound samples (real vocals) in case they might be useful for any of your other projects.

Last edited by Icelander; 07/16/17 06:54 AM. Reason: Afterthought

Veteran
Veteran
Bother... I don't have any brilliant ideas. frown

I think that the Garritan Aria Player is just a repackaging of the standard sforzando player. Did you check to make sure you have the most current version?

If you finally get it working, I'd suggest that you edit the .wav files. At least in the Ah sounds, many of the recordings have pretty dodgy starts. There's a lot of scooping, and some weird artificial processing noise - perhaps someone did some pitch shifting or something.

In any event, you can delete the beginning in your favorite .wav editor (such as Audacity) and apply a new Fade In, and it sounds a whole lot better.

My own vocal synthesis project is plodding along very slowly. I'm playing around with yet another form of synthesis in the hope that I can get better results, but things aren't looking good for it.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Don't worry about it, I remain optimistic that other members will chime in at some point... cool

Veteran
Veteran
1. I downloaded the vowel choir

2. I unzipped in my downloads folder (nothing fancy or complicated - since I had planned to delete the library I saw no reason to move it to my sound fonts directory on another drive, but I DID move it later just to verify it was easy to place anywhere and use, just move it or copy it - no issues.)

EDIT

WHEN I SAY MOVE or COPY I MEAN ALL OF IT not JUST the six (6) .sfz files, also copy/move the Sub directories and make sure the are under (aka subordinate folder or a "child" folder of the folder where the six .sfz files are). so best way is simply unzip entire contents as is to where you want it

EDIT

3. Started the standalone Sforzando app (the .exe), first the 32-bit one then the 64-bit one (the .exe), opened "import" , pointed to the "Vowel Choir sfz" folder created in my downloads folder, pick the "Choir ah.sfz" and it worked, as did the other five (e, i, keyswitch, oh and u)

The ARIA player used by Garritan is as mentioned by David IS simply a larger, more complex (more bells and whistles) multitimbrel version of the simply Plogue sfz player. if you have Garritan or the ARIA "player" when you open it you will see that on the home splash screen acknowledgement of both ARIA (the ENGINE) and Plogue (the PLAYER) since to use ARIA you NEED both.

I ran the Vowel Choir lib in ARIA same results it all works,

I finally tried it via the Sforzando VSTi (the .dll) same results

Suggest you RE-download and re-unzip and try again

Good Luck
Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 07/16/17 03:09 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Doubt that will make any difference but shall try that just in case, thanks for chipping in.

I'll be back...

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
...and as expected, didn't make any difference (doing the exact same thing twice rarely gives two different results, and all that). smirk

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Now I'm leaning towards some obscure 'platform issue', since that seems to be the only different parameter in this equation...any Mac users spotting this thread are most welcome to chime in next.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Open each ***.sfz with TextEdit.app or just drag into TextEdit.

Code:
<control>

default_path=\choir Ah samples\

<global>

remove the first \
so you have:

Code:
<control>

default_path=choir Ah samples\

<global>

Save it.
It works with Win ok as it uses back slashes but Mac uses forward slashes.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Mac-SFZ.png (403.27 KB, 66 downloads)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I just KNEW it had to be platform, I knew it!! eek

Anyway, you're an absolute life saver once more, Mr. P. Thank you so much for coming to the rescue smile smile

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quick question though: Won't I need to change all the remaining backslashes into regular ones, then, or does this one instance suffice?? confused

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Just getting rid of the first back slash works.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Brilliant cool

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,563
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200