Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Kev T Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I'm currently running BIAB and RB 2017 (Ultra Plus Pak plus and add on styles paks 1,2,3, and 49 from the PG supplied USB external drive. Used space now 121 GB of the reported 149 GB on the drive). Doesn't seem to leave a great deal of space for future expansion packs confused

If I wanted to transfer everything from the PG USB drive to say, a 1TB USB (Western Digital Passport) ext. drive
to allow plenty of expansion room, can I just clone the PG drive to the WD drive and should BIAB/RB then run happily from the new drive (assuming the new drive is allocated the same drive name F:) or is it more complex than that? (Licensing etc?)

BIAB 2022 PLUSPAK (ext HD), 49PAKs, STYLESPAKs 1 - 6, Win 7 64bit PC, REAPER, Ozone, Adobe Audition CS6, EZ Drummer3 + EZ Keys,Soundcraft MTK22, Behringer X Touch Universal Controller,, SE Gemini/Rode NT2/Neumann/Shure mics
Veteran
Veteran
Kevin,

That will work. It's always recommended that back-up drives are created so that if anything happens to the main drive, there is a fall back. What you are doing is simply that.

If you clone the present drive, that will include setup.exe and all the associated programs that you need to install. So all is good.

Lastly, if you choose to use the cloned drive as your main drive, it should work fine. Because BIAB/RB registration is computer-specific, as I understand it, there should be no need to register again. If you do find that it's necessary to register the program once more, it would pay to plug in your old drive, de-register it and then plug in your new drive and re-register (this will maintain the 3 registrations that PG Music give).

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Kev T Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Excellent! Thank you very much for that info Noel. Much appreciated.

BIAB 2022 PLUSPAK (ext HD), 49PAKs, STYLESPAKs 1 - 6, Win 7 64bit PC, REAPER, Ozone, Adobe Audition CS6, EZ Drummer3 + EZ Keys,Soundcraft MTK22, Behringer X Touch Universal Controller,, SE Gemini/Rode NT2/Neumann/Shure mics
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I did that on both computers but I simply copied all the files to another drive. No big deal.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Kev T Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
grinThanks Matt......better still!! cool

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Right. You still must run the installer, however.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Just make sure you copy the hidden file datalist.asc in the root.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
What Pipeline said; otherwise it won't work. I learned that the hard way when I first tried to do this and couldn't figure out why I was having problems. Turned out to be that datalist.asc file.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Interesting. I did not know about that hidden file, but my copy utility must have grabbed it, too.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
It's just a text file with the folder links, you can also create it yourself:

Code:
Band-in-a-Box.exe=\bb\bbw.exe
RealBand.exe=\RealBand\RealBand.exe

Kev T Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks Matt, John & Pipeline. The straight copy idea looks great but just starting to look a bit complicated.

Would my original idea of a "clone" copy still need to be installed and shouldn't the hidden file be picked up automatically using the clone method?

Matt. Is the "installer" the BIAB .exe file? used for setting up BIAB/RB

Regards
Kevin

Veteran
Veteran
Kev,

If you follow the clone route, everything should get carried across.

If you follow the copy route, before you copy, simply make sure that the "Show hidden files" option is active. This is found in "Control Panel | Folder Options | View" (see the graphic below). Then when you copy, any hidden files/folders will also copy.

Which ever path you take, if you are using the program on the same computer on which it is already installed, I imagine that it will not be necessary to re-install since the computer is already set for the program. That said, you might need to re-set the paths for Realtracks and Realdrums.

It's easy enough to work out if you need to reinstall. Just run the program. If it doesn't behave properly then a reinstall is most likely needed.

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
show hidden files.JPG (37.19 KB, 137 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
FWIW, my datalist.asc looks nothing like the example Pipeline showed, but it works fine, so don't worry if the content of that file doesn't match.
The Clone should carry it over anyway, so no problem.

My datalist file shows the path to various add-ons, but not the path for the main program executable files (as in Pipeline's example). Not sure of it's purpose, but I wouldn't alter it if it looks different, as you could lose some 'extras' you have added over time. Just thought I'd mention this.

Also, it doesn't exist at all on the main OS drive I installed BB/RB to, only on the shipped external drive, so likely only needed during the actual install procedure.
^^ just my hunch/guess.

Last edited by rharv; 07/30/17 07:54 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Kev T Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thank you Noel and Rharv. I think I will go down the clone route just to be as sure as possible I don't miss anything out.

I will be using the same PC. The larger drive is just to allow some future expansion space. I decided to go for a 500GB USB instead of a 1TB as I think that should give enough headroom for now and will just dedicate it to BB and RB.

Thanks to all who replied.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
What I did, on both desktop PCs, is buy a separate hard drive just for BIAB and I put only the RealTracks and RealDrums on it. Then I go into Options, Preferences for each and set the custom locations.

The program itself (and admittedly a ton of related files) is installed to a separate SSD drive, so it loads and runs as quickly as possible. Before PG Music optimized the loading time a few months ago, this made more of a difference loading than it does now.

Kev T Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
frown Thanks Matt, When I'm as confident and know as even a fraction as much about BIAB/RB as you the other guys here maybe I might experiment with alternative options like yours. I think for me the clone to bigger USB drive will provide enough scope for damage at present but many thanks for your suggestion. smile LOL

Veteran
Veteran
I cloned my basic WMA version to a 500 gig drive also, and it has plenty of space years later after saving many beta/upgrade files on it, plus saving some additional SEQ and BiaB files there (as well as images I post on the forum).

500 gig should last a while unless you upgrade to the Audiophile version which needs over a terrabyte.
All the audio files are bigger on that version.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
drives6.jpg (28.82 KB, 94 downloads)

Kev T Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks again Rharv. For my purposes I'm more than happy with the Ultra Plus Pak + Style PAKS 1,2,3 and 49 for now and think it unlikely I will make the jump to Audiophile so hopefully the 500GB will last me for quite some time.

If I keep the original PG ext USB drive intact I presume that any BIAB/RB updates or add on packs can be saved to both drives... one at a time so they retain the F: drive label when downloading (until the space on orig drive runs out of course)?

Kev T Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Well...it was all going to plan.....I cloned the from original PG drive (labelled F:) to my 500GB USB (labelled as G: during the process). All seemed successful.After disconnecting the PG drive and the 500GB drive , today I thought I would try to use the new USB to run BIAB and RB which it did!! Great....but I noticed that Windows was still allocating the label G: to the new drive even though the old PG drive was not connected.
I had expected that the system would allocate the label F: (which would be the first logical free drive label as there was no F: drive connected ?? Not sure why it is skipping a drive label? (I have C: as OS drive - 1TB SSD...also internal 1 TB D: drive for data and backups. E: is the CD/DVD drive . Anyone any ideas why system is missing out F: ?
On the assumption that I have to accept the G: allocation each time for the new drive (which appears to be running BIAB and RB fine) will the G: label make any difference (apart from updates etc. from PG having to be directed to G:)?

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Since you cloned it (versus copied it), I suspect Windows saw the signature of the drive as the same as the previous drive, and so allocated the same drive letter.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

Kev T Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks John. That's kinda what I was thinking....but.....
The original PG USB disc always had the drive letter F:....new 500GB one is called G:
I also assumed that if the PG drive was not connected Windows would issue F: as the first available label....but Windows skipped that and calls the new drive G:?
I could probably use Disc Manager in Windows (7 - 64bit) to force the G: disc to take the label F: but don't know whether that would be the right thing to do.

Expert
Expert
hi
Maybe you have previouly reseved that drive letter in windows
Below is a copy of a post I made a while back may help

At the end of this post is a link to that thread

Hi
Yes indeed USB drive letters are allocated depending on the order they are inserted
So to say if your USB HD is drive j today when you install .
Then you take it out for some reason and insert another usb device say usb mem stick .if you now switch of and reboot the memory stick will be the first device seen and may get the letter you used for the USB HD, making it K this will break the links to where windows thinks BIAB is
Two ways round this don’t unplug your biab hard drive or reserve a drive letter for that drive, Z is a good one¬
Mike.
Here is alink on how to do this.
https://www.howtogeek.com/96298/assign-a-static-drive-letter-to-a-usb-drive-in-windows-7/

Edited by Mike Head (07/02/17 02:47 PM)

link to other thread
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=420100#Post420100

best regards
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Kev T Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Mike,
Many thanks for your reply. I'll try allocating Z: to the 500GB drive (instead of G:)as per your suggestion. Should I do the same thing to the other PG drive independently and allocate Z: instead of F: ?

My object is to retain the PG drive as a clone backup and to keep each one updated. The two drives will not be plugged in at the same time so am I right in assuming that the same drive label of Z: can be reserved for both?

I have no BIAB links or shortcut from my C:drive I just run BIAB/RB direct from the USB drive.

As I'm using up 4 of my 6 USB ports for other items (printers, wireless keyboard, audio interface etc.) I prefer to unplug any USB drives and only plug them in when needed to one of the remaining 2 ports. That may be part of my problem? Maybe there has been an odd occasion when I switched off the computer before unplugging the BIAB drive.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I would also suggest going in an reassigning it to whatever drive letter you want it to be. My experience is the next time you plug it in, Windows will remember and use that assignment (not always, and definitely not if another drive got plugged in and used that drive letter), but worth a try.

John

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
My experience is the same as John's, including the "not always" part! I just leave my BIAB external drive plugged in all the time. Don't change USB ports, either.

Expert
Expert
HI Kev

Should be ok to use it twice providing only one is plugged in, as John says.
Let us Know how you get on
Drive Z may not be the best choice always as some programs set up temp virtual drives and often use Z
Also such programs as virtual CD/DVD ISO image readers and such that can be used for mounting this type of file,

I personally favour something up around the M. N. P, area as this is likely to be well clear of usb mem sticks web cams etc depends a bit on how many you normally have in use.
I guess P for Pg music is a nice association
You can not use B for BIAB as it is still reserved for floppy along with A
Have fun
Mike

Kev T Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Mike, Matt and John.

Many thanks for your valued input. Point taken about the Z: drive label. The automatic allocation by Windows seems a bit "pot luck" smile

I'll try "P" for PG Music as per Mike's suggestion as a label for both drives and see what happens

Hope you all have a great day.

Veteran
Veteran
The reason they allow various drive letter assignments is so you can use them.
In my experience assigning each drive to a different drive letter and leaving them alone (still connected) is most reliable.
If you disconnect/re-connect drives the letter is prone to change .. but simply knowing that makes managing them much easier.
I'd rather they shutdown when not needed and keep the drive letter assignment .. but that's just my POV. So I leave them connected/reserved whenever I can.

Kev T Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks Rharv. Yes ......you're right. I changed both drives to the label P: The first drive I changed came back as P: when plugged in again (Great!). Disconnected that one and re-plugged the original PG one and that reported as F: again even though I had also labelled that as P:! Looks like I'll just have to live with it. When updating I'll just have to make sure I direct the update to the right disc label smile

One thing I did note was that the PG disc was not as full as I originally thought. When looking at the partitions there was a fair amount of unallocated space left which I merged into the main PG disc partition using a partition management program. So I actually had more space than Windows was reporting.

Presently investigating USBDLM V5.2.8 - USB Drive Letter Manager for Windows to see if this will facilitate
renaming both drive labels more permanently.

Kind Regards
Kev T.

Expert
Expert
HI KEV

You seem to be fairly well on top of this sort of thing using partition manager etc
So I am sure you will be fine..

However I am not certain exactly what you mean when you use the term Clone
If you mean a disc image as in Norton ghost or similar .
And you take an image of say a 300 G drive it will contain all the FAT etc so when you put it on a 500 g drive it will make that drive only 300 G as that was the extent of the format and fat of the original.

I suspect that is the way Pg get their stuff on hard drives as a ghost image so you finish up with a drive size to suit the original image size not the physical hard drive size,

So to this end these days I usually format the whole drive or maybe split into 2 partitions if it is very large
( this makes for quicker back ups and defrags if not so much surface area to cover)
Then I copy my whole directory structure files and folders including hidden
to the new drive or partition ,
This way the rest of the drive is available to me .
Which it would not have been if I used a ghost image.
Just my take on this.
Best regards
Mike

Kev T Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Mike, I know enough to be somewhat dangerous I suspect!! smile

Cloning provides a mirror copy of the original disc creating an EXACT copy of its contents, including the master boot record (MBR), slack space, and any unused space.

I used a FREE program called: EaseUS Todo Backup Free 10.5 to clone the PG drive. Wouldn't say it was quick (about 3 hours for transfer of BIAB) as I took the option to copy sector by sector and just have USB2.0, but the results were excellent as far as I can see. As in above posts the only problem was with me trying to give both drives the same label letter. The actual cloning worked a treat!

I used another free program AOMEI Partition Assistant to merge the unallocated space on both drives.

Thanks again for your valuable input.

Kev

Last edited by Kev T; 08/05/17 08:21 AM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,703
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 198