Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Morning folks,
I have read many times that when working on a mix you should always check to make sure it sounds good not only in stereo but in mono.

Does anyone have any tips on how to accomplish that??
When I listen to one of my mixes in mono it always sounds dull and lifeless compared to the stereo mix, not to mention that the levels are all off. But, how to fix the levels so it sounds good in mono without breaking the stereo mix? crazy

Last edited by BlueAttitude; 08/02/17 02:05 AM. Reason: removed reference to iPads
Veteran
Veteran
I'm wondering about the mobile device listening. Most folks I know listen with buds in stereo. Heck if they are listening via most device's external speakers IMO nothing will sound decent.

BTW I know zip about Android phones/tablets but my Apple products have external stereo speakers.

OK...pardon the musings that did nothing to address your issue smile

Bud

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Bud,
Shows what I know about iPads! I'm so out of the loop when it comes to that stuff, I don't even own a cell phone blush

I'll modify my original post to get rid of that line, thanks smile

Veteran
Veteran
I've also read about the reasons for the mono approach but have never understood it. We hear in stereo -- why confine any sound stage to mono when we've had stereo technology for decades?

And why remix just to hear it in mono? Simply converting a stereo mix to mono destroys all the work done to assign each track to its "place." A place where it has its uniqueness yet cooperates with fellow tracks. It seems that a good sounding mono mix would require a dramatically different approach and work.

Perhaps this is where I should be silent and appear to be ignorant rather than opening my mouth and confirming it. smile

Bud

Veteran
Veteran

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

Excellent article! Thanks! smile

Veteran
Veteran
I'm gonna make a second attempt to read that Bob and hopefully get schooled. On my first attempt I didn't get past the "...For example, a lot of portable radios are mono." In my old age have I missed some mono radio revival like the vinyl thing? Seriously....well mostly. smile I do remember walking around with my little mono transistor radio in the late 50's.

Edit:

I read it all but still have difficulty with: "However, if you can get the mix to sound good in mono first, it will definitely sound great in stereo too." That seems to imply that you just hit a stereo button and presto the mono is stereo. But know you can't do a wholesale conversion in either direction. And then he said mixing in stereo is "easy." I guess that is very relative as that has not been my experience. I'm gonna dig deeper and see if some epiphany can emerge. I know I'm still missing something given the expertise of the proponents.

Edit:

Short but seems to hit on the primary reasons: https://mixcoach.com/does-mixing-in-mono-really-help/
He mentions how mono mixing can help understand (help eliminate?) sonic issues of having tracks stepping on one another. I can see how it would help there except for the always troublesome kick and bass that are, at least by me, mixed in the center in a stereo mix. Hey Dave, hope you don't think I hi-jacked your thread. Janice will tell you that I have a penchant for thinking out loud...often to a fault smile

Bud

Last edited by Janice & Bud; 08/02/17 10:41 AM.
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've been following the mix-in-mono arguments too. While they are very logical, at the end of the day there seems no escaping that there are significant differences between mono and stereo mixing. You could do your head in trying to straddle both camps. Instead a lot of engineers talk about checking mono compatibility during their mixes. So they mix in stereo and check every so often that their work still sounds good in mono especially given that you can introduce weird phasing issues stereo to mono. There are plugins now that quickly convert the stereo buss to mono for an instant listen.

I like the idea that mono mixing can help you achieve frequency separation amongst instruments but as Bud says a lot of the main clashes are right down the centre anyway.

Veteran
Veteran
IMHO, it helps for 2 things.
1. As mentioned; sonics (frequency ranges and signal strength of various tracks).
It is possible to actually have phase cancelling going on and a MONO mix will make it more evident, let alone bass and bass drum stepping all over each other on certain notes, etc.
B. It's always good to at least know what the mix will sound like in MONO (maybe it will get played over a PA at some unknown location someday). At least you will have improved it .. whether or not it is ideal.

I do not do separate mixes. I'll do my stereo mix, listen to it in MONO (easy as clicking the MONO button on the mixer in PT or RB). If I can improve by doing so, why not? There will always be a happy medium.

Years ago bands/producers experimented with quadraphonic mixes .. but it had to still work in MONO, which was by far more common at the time than now. These were vinyl records.

These days an equivalent is 5.1 etc.

.. plus 'Soundbars', which are essentially a MONO source 'location' with smoke and mirrors to make you think it is something more. By that I mean all speakers are located within inches of each other .. like bolting your stereo speakers together; the sound comes from one location, but you do get multiple 'channels' ..

There are lots of various listening environments where checking the mix in MONO could be a good thing.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
So your approach is that a stereo mix should be built around the possibilty that it might be heard in a mono environment? And that this can be achieved sans compromises with the stereo mix? That is all WAY above my paygrade. My first mixing was at a studio in Atlanta in 1965 when I was 19 and, yep, it was mono but I have not thought of mono mixes in many decades. Too old to go back. smile

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Hey Dave, hope you don't think I hi-jacked your thread. Janice will tell you that I have a penchant for thinking out loud...often to a fault smile

Bud

No worries Bud! I'm enjoying reading all the comments smile

What started this for me was I submitted my latest song to this new facebook group where you can have people critique your mix. Lots of comments, but one very detailed one from someone who really knew his stuff, and one of the many things he mentioned was that my mix sounded like crap when played back in mono.
And sure enough, it does!

In my case as you know our songs feature guitar, sometimes lots of guitar tracks, plus a female vocalist. Both occupy the same frequency range. When I'm mixing in stereo that is not a problem, I handle it via panning so everything has it's own space in the stereo spectrum.

The key thing I got out of the article is the need to use eq to carve out space for the vocalist:

"Yet, when that great‑sounding stereo mix is collapsed to mono, you will often find it no longer works, because those sources occupy the same spectrum and end up trampling all over one another."

That is something I don't do, but I think I should be. It seems if I do that it will probably improve the stereo mix too, it won't be as muddy. Anyway it is something I'm going to spend some time learning more about.
Also I've been checking into izotope neutron, it seems like that may be a great solution.

Last edited by BlueAttitude; 08/03/17 12:59 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
As I've often said Neutron's feature that allows you to compare multiple tracks to isolate competing frequencies has been for me worth the price of admission alone. It's easy to use and IMO effective. And not just for kick and bass but for any tracks that tend to occupy the same eq areas.

Expert
Expert
Mixing in mono is only done as a reference. You use it to check EQ separation without the extra "artificial" separation caused by panning. You don't leave it that way.

1. Collapsing the master to mono is sufficient
2. The assumption is you'd put the master back into stereo, where you can pan things wherever you want.
3. You should never have to do that
4. Reverb is tough to deal with in mono. Mixing in mono is really just to check levels and EQ. I wouldn't make reverb decisions in mono.
5&6. If the final song is in stereo (as 99% of music made after 1965 is), then you'd obviously master in stereo. Mastering is where you are making the final decisions. Whatever comes out is the song.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Mixing in mono is only done as a reference. You use it to check EQ separation without the extra "artificial" separation caused by panning. You don't leave it that way.

Well yes, I think that was understood. I don't think anyone thought you would leave it in mono eek

Last edited by BlueAttitude; 08/03/17 10:37 AM.
Apprentice
Apprentice
I recall Ozone has a button right there on the main screen where you can check mono compatibility. You'll know all about it if it seems half your song has been sucked out. Non-Ozone users have easy options too.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matcham
I recall Ozone has a button right there on the main screen where you can check mono compatibility. You'll know all about it if it seems half your song has been sucked out. Non-Ozone users have easy options too.

I use reaper to mix, it also has a mono button on the main screen.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
As I've often said Neutron's feature that allows you to compare multiple tracks to isolate competing frequencies has been for me worth the price of admission alone. It's easy to use and IMO effective. And not just for kick and bass but for any tracks that tend to occupy the same eq areas.

Bud, which version of neutron do you have, the standard or advanced? I see they are both on sale at the moment,
standard is on sale for $199, advanced is $299. They both have the masking meter feature (elements does not)

Veteran
Veteran
I've got the standard version that I bought on the cheap from Izotope on a deal offfered to folks who own a host of their products. I have a filter that alarms before I over purchase with features that I'd likely never use (or understand) smile I did buy the advanced version of Ozone 7 solely for the reason that any of the modules can individually be used on a single track.

Bud

Expert
Expert
So sorry, but I seemed to have misunderstood the posting.

I will say I am guilty, on this occasion of not reading the post thoroughly.

I should have so I stand corrected and hung drawn, and quartered.

OUCH !

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
So sorry, but I seemed to have misunderstood the posting.

I will say I am guilty, on this occasion of not reading the post thoroughly.

I should have so I stand corrected and hung drawn, and quartered.

OUCH !

No worries, it happens smile

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,487
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195