Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Songwriting
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
BLOGGER POST: How I Write and Produce Songs With BAND-IN-A-BOX

Part of the fun of being on the BIAB forums is helping other forum members with their song projects. From time to time I've posted various articles on topics from "Learning to Play Bluegrass Banjo" to "Basic Mixing." Recently I added a new article on my blog on Blogger regarding how I write and produce with Band-in-a-Box. I thought it might also be helpful to post it here. Hope it helps. Send me question and comments.

Thanks,
Bob Buford

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Great article (or blog) Bob,

a well thought out piece, you turned someone on to BIAB,

that's great. I don't understand why there's still a lot of resistance

by musicians to check out this program. Most everyone nowadays

uses drum loops or midi drums, we've got so much more with BIAB,

as for writing, I always have a story in my head, how can I tell the story

if I don't know it myself, I've been surprised at co-writing attempts when

the other person didn't know what their song was about or where it was going.

Sometimes there are nice surprises but still...

now I'm just going on...

having said that, I do believe there's a million ways to write a song

whoever has good tools in their writing tool box, they're gonna come up

with something

enjoyed this a lot

Kenny

Last edited by 44kfl; 08/05/17 09:01 AM.
Songwriting
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks Bob
Very informative.
Ive only started with BB this year and found it really helpful. OK,so most of my stuff is covers but so far I've been able to find or make a style that works for MY arrangement. Where its brilliant is with my own stuff. I work up the chords, set up my Band lol and away I go.
Love it!
WendyM

BiaB2022PLUS,927. every extras pack I can find ;-),Sonar7XL,Win 10
Songwriting
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: WendyM
Thanks Bob
Very informative.
Ive only started with BB this year and found it really helpful. OK,so most of my stuff is covers but so far I've been able to find or make a style that works for MY arrangement. Where its brilliant is with my own stuff. I work up the chords, set up my Band lol and away I go.
Love it!
WendyM

Covers are a GREAT way to learn to use BIAB and also to develop your production and performance chops. This is especially true if you do your utmost to recreate your cover as close to the original as possible.(a process called AB'ing)If you can do that, you'll learn a lot about how the original was produced. Then you can apply that to your own work when the need arises.

Just keep at it and you'll be even more amazed at what you can create. The BIAB forums are a great source of info and tips on using the program if you get stumped. Folks here are always willing to help.

Best of luck with your writing and production.
Thanks for your input,
Bob grin

Songwriting
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Great article (or blog) Bob,

a well thought out piece, you turned someone on to BIAB,
that's great. I don't understand why there's still a lot of resistance by musicians to check out this program. Most everyone nowadays uses drum loops or midi drums, we've got so much more with BIAB,as for writing, I always have a story in my head, how can I tell the story if I don't know it myself, I've been surprised at co-writing attempts when the other person didn't know what their song was about or where it was going. Sometimes there are nice surprises but still...now I'm just going on...having said that, I do believe there's a million ways to write a song whoever has good tools in their writing tool box, they're gonna come up with something

enjoyed this a lot
Kenny

Hi Kenny,

You make some good points. Nearly everyone has their own methodology for writing a song that is more or less a variation of some of the more common approaches. For folks just getting started I say do some reading and get educated about the basic process. Kind of like we do with singing or learning to play an instrument: Imitate and then innovate. Whatever works for you is what works. And everyone has something unique to offer.

Appreciate your input. Thanks
Bob grin

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

You've put together a really great article. The clarity of your presentation is excellent and the ideas and advice are first class.

I enjoyed my read!

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Songwriting
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Bob,

You've put together a really great article. The clarity of your presentation is excellent and the ideas an advice are first class.

I enjoyed my read!

Regards,
Noel

Hey Noel! How ya doin' way down there? grin
Thanks so much for the nice comments. Just hope I can help some folks.

Bob

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bob,

This is a really good post, and I thought I would add in some of my own feedback. Since I have dialed in your basic studio settings to my working template in Sonar, which I call the "Bob Buford Board", you know I study you man!

I would go one step further to say I prefer BIAB and my home studio to "real" studios in many cases, and I have recorded in some of the largest studios in Nashville and New York.

1.) I too am always mystified when people make disparaging remarks and say "it is not any good (or real music) unless you record it all yourself."

Then I listen to THEIR stuff and think (but don't say) "Ugh...but your guitar is out of tune, you can't play, it sounds horrible, and the bass player sounds intoxicated. How much did you spend on that??" (I never say it though.)

2.) And yes, so much much done today is loops and samples. But those loops and samples are pretty much obnoxious noise. BIAB does not produce noise it produces MUSIC. So the reason for NOT using it is.....????

3.) Related to the comments of the esteemed producer you mention, I spend some time each day studying the demos, which offer an endless fount of production ideas and chord progression ideas.

4.) It will take any producer about five seconds to realize you are not constrained to one style, but if you have a DAW (or know all the ropes in BIAB well) you can start a song in one style and switch numerous times during the course of a song. That's Abbey Road.

5.) If I were to have gone into any studio to produce some of the stuff I have done with Real Tracks, if you add in the orchestral and string parts, it would have been more like $20,000 a song.

6.) I could go to Berklee and pay $30,000 for a production and editing course or I could just go on this forum and give a shout out to guys like...hmmmmmm...Bob Buford!!! (or 40 other guys and gals just like him)----and ask him what EQ settings to use on the drums and I have my answer back in 20 minutes. I say go for the zero dollar self study course on the forum with 24/7 access to pros and veterans. Easier on my wallet.

7.) I can't count the number of times someone has asked me (of a RT based song) "What studio did you record that in?"

8.) The Xtra styles come almost premixed. If you realize less is really more, the Xtra Styles sort of tell you where stuff should be set and if you are careful with tasty additions only, and you have a good knowledge of Eqing and mastering (which you can learn from veterans on this forum) there really is no reason to go into a studio for many songs. It just is not necessary.

9.) In complaining of the glut of music today you hear this all the time: "Everybody and his sister has ProTools." True, but everybody and his sister does not have ProTools and RealTracks. That may be one reason why so much of everything you hear sounds exactly the same. Very boring chord progressions and beginning acoustic or electric guitar 101 keeps getting replicated. RTs take your music to another stratosphere.

10.) Some people have said on this forum that if you use RTs and your home studio you will never be able to get the quality of a "real studio" or a "real engineer." I cannot tell you how much I disagree.

In many cases, I honestly think the RT studio sounds better.

Thanks for a great article Bob and all the great teaching on this forum.

Songwriting
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hey David...how the heck are ya? smile

I love what you wrote. Such great insights and experiences to impart. I've learned things on the forums that one might never learn elsewhere. There are so many talented and experienced folks here that are willing to share their knowledge...you in particular. Appreciate ya, dude!

The Buford

Songwriting
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
"Everybody and his sister has ProTools."

Quote for the day: "ProTools doesn't care who owns it." grin

Songwriting
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Hi Bob
Thanks for the post and article,very helpful to know how high a quality you think Biab is for music production.As Ive produced songs with biab the question is always in the back of my mind is it going to be as good as a studio made song.(quality wise).
I got a couple of songs produced in a studio and they came out great but they could have been easily a million miles away from what i intended as you have so little involvement.Not to mention the cost or the lack of enjoyment,urs Hugh

Songwriting
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Hi David
Equally great reply as original post.Great to know your perspective on Biab and encourages me no end .All your points are exactly right.Biab is such a good product,thanks Hugh

Songwriting
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Hugh2
Hi Bob
Thanks for the post and article,very helpful to know how high a quality you think Biab is for music production.As Ive produced songs with biab the question is always in the back of my mind is it going to be as good as a studio made song.(quality wise).
I got a couple of songs produced in a studio and they came out great but they could have been easily a million miles away from what i intended as you have so little involvement.Not to mention the cost or the lack of enjoyment,urs Hugh

Hi Hugh...

One of the reasons I put my article out on Blogger was to take my BAND-IN-A-BOX pitch to folks outside of these forums who already know what a great songwriting tool and product it is. One of the reasons a BIAB production sounds so good is the quality of the musicians on REAL TRACKS. It would be difficult if not impossible to get any of those folks to play on a studio made song. Guys like Brent Mason (Jim Mason, who's no relation,claims they're "cousins"..haha!) but are pretty booked up, not to mention the cost you'd incur. My studio produced songs were great because I had a pro producer, but at least a couple of them didn't come out the way I'd envisioned. BIAB gives you a level of control you'd lose in a studio environment. But of course you're responsible for EVERYTHING that goes into the mix.

In my opinion it's never been easier or less expensive for an aspiring (or pro) songwriter to experiment with song ideas and come out with something great. Still the level of competency one brings to the table even with BIAB will be the limiting factor at to what finally gets produced. Fun stuff, eh? grin

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Snip ... 2.) And yes, so much much done today is loops and samples. But those loops and samples are pretty much obnoxious noise. BIAB does not produce noise it produces MUSIC. So the reason for NOT using it is.....???? snip ...

I'm enjoying this conversation and learning from it. However David, I was disappointed to read point # 2 quoted above.

Loops and samples can be sources of inspiration when someone is searching for song ideas. Use a guitar, keyboard or horn riff that sets your imagination on fire. Update your music with sounds and tones typically found outside the genre of your song project. Loops and samples can be easily imported into BiaB and RealBand if that's what one desires.

One of the unrecognized strengths of Band-in-a-Box and RealBand is they are so very versatile.

You want to be inspired by midi? Like other music program the programs can import midi, including midi loops but, unlike other music programs the midi patterns built into the styles also let you easily create your own midi masterpieces.

Every other audio music program can record audio and use samples or loops but they can't use RealTracks or RealDrums. RealTracks and RealDrums are exclusive to Band-in-a-Box and RealBand.

So you can use Band-in-a-Box and RealBand to perform the same functions as any other music program and so much more. Loop and samples are tools you can use just like RealTracks.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Jim,

I was speaking of loops and samples that are used exclusively with no other musical skill or knowledge in such as way that they become repetitive nonsense and noise.

Sorry, I did not clarify this.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Bob, you have broken out in Blog!
What a well done presentation. You succeeded
in the number one goal of the best teachers;
that is, to get the reader (or student) to thinking.

As different as we all are, I think each of us
finds a zone. Artists and writers find specialties,
for lack of a better term.

Your personal comments are interesting and
informative.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Songwriting
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Bob, you have broken out in Blog!
What a well done presentation. You succeeded
in the number one goal of the best teachers;
that is, to get the reader (or student) to thinking.

As different as we all are, I think each of us
finds a zone. Artists and writers find specialties,
for lack of a better term.

Your personal comments are interesting and
informative.

grin Haha...yes, Ed I've broken out and there appears to be no treatment for it. "Think, people! THINK!"

Bob cool

Songwriting
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
What an awesome article, Bob. You can tell it was written sincerely, and it offers a lot of insight into what the program is about!

Cheers,
Deryk
Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
Great blog and conversation here in the forum. I am new to BIAB but can already see the potential. You make many valid points about the cost and quality of recording in a studio. About 5 years ago i was going to record a couple demo songs in Nashville. The price fo 2 songs unmastered was going to be over $5,000. Due to unforseen circumstances I was unable to afford to return to Nashville and record. Thinking back it may have been for the best. Although I'm sure the quality would have been good there is no way to know if songs would have turned out how I heard them in my head. The producer may have had a totaly different interpretation than i had.

Since that time i have started recording and producing my own music. One of the largest problems i have had though is finding quality midi sounds for instruments i would like in my songs.(Fiddle, Mandolin, Steel Guitar) Now that I've found BIAB I believe i can finally make some authentc sounding country music using Real Tracks of actual instruments, and best of all I have all the control and all the time in the world to perfect my tracks to my liking.

The one thing I had hoped to read in your blog was more of a technical insite as to how you use BIAB to creat your music. Do you plan on going into that more in other blog posts?

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Songwriting
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi Samuel,

Congratulations. You've found the holy grail of country song creation with BIAB and REALTRACKS. Did you notice all the Nashville session guys who are playing on those Country REALTRACKS. Pretty amazing. And they'll all work for you tirelessly to create the vision you have for your song.

I plan many other blog posts on this subject. In the meantime here's a MIXING article I wrote here on the forums to help get you started. Check it out. Maybe it will help.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=380166&page=1

Bob smile

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,463
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195