Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello All.

I am making up for no blog post in June and getting August's done nice and early...

Now, I know I am going to take some flack for this post but the purpose is not to start an argument but conversation is always good so feel free to fire away.... The purpose is really to encourage new Band-in-a-Box users who are just getting into using a DAW to give Realband a try before splashing out on another DAW. Comments are always welcome.

Eight reasons why I, as a Band-in-Box user, use RealBand as my DAW of choice

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Joanne,

Couple of minor points on your blog:

Item 2: "It does not use an iLok or Gobbler"

That has nothing to do with the DAW. It has to do with the plugins you were using. I'm using mostly waves plugins these days, no software protection device needed.

Item 3: "It is not a resource hog"

There are lots of DAWs available that are not resource hogs. The example you gave, Pro Tools, is probably the worse DAW out there as far as eating up resources, but it is designed for a professional environment where that is not an issue, not for running on an entry level laptop. I've been using reaper here the last couple of years, it is far better than Pro Tools at managing resources.

I would argue that 7 & 8 are basically the same point. Alt F5 in BIAB lets me change the chord or generate holds (or shots, etc.) on specific instruments.

But yes, the ability to do BIAB type things within your DAW is a cool feature and I agree 100% that for a new user it makes sense to check it out!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Since Mac BiaB does not include RealBand I have little to offer other than I run BiaB and Logic Pro X simultaneously and with BiaB's DAW mode my workflow is smooth. In the spirit of transparency I have to admit to running 20gb RAM and my Mac has a 27" screen. I couldn't imagine working via a laptop! My old eyes require a large screen smile especially when I have a couple of Izotope products open along with the DAW.

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A minor change might be needed in #1. It should read RealBand comes free with the PC version of BiaB.

I have always said if you have a favorite DAW use it but if you do not have a DAW learn RB.

Good blog!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I first saw the August Blog over on Facebook this morning. I enjoyed reading it and thinking of all the uses of RealBand. It's a nice, informative article and should get new users and possibly some long time users to take a look at Realband.

The biggest surprise to me was no mention was made of the Multi Riff feature nor the total of 48 tracks to work with. Mentioning those would have given you ten reasons to use RB as your DAW.

In my song "Say I Do", I used Multi Riff on the lead guitar track 18 times for fills and the solo. That is the real life equivalent of having a studio session musician compose and audition 126 punch in's. That could never been done in the few minutes it took to complete in RB by a live session player. I also used the Multi Riff on the Saxophone track but not to the extent that I did on the lead guitar track.

Multi Riff provides a level of uniqueness to the track and removes the genericness of a single RealTrack that may be recognizable to other Real Track users. I believe Multi Riffs across multiple tracks make it nearly impossible for another user using the same style, RealTracks, chord chart, tempo and key to replicate precisely and produce the same song.

48 tracks versus 8 is at least a reason to use RealBand. Especially since it is included for free if you have the Windows version of Biab.

Charlie

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 08/10/17 03:00 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Awesome blog post! It really showcases what RealBand can do smile This would prove useful to anybody trying to figure out what route to go for a DAW for after purchasing Band-in-a-Box. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Deryk
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Great article, Josie. I like the tight integration with BIAB and the convenience of having RealBand right at hand when I'm working. I don't always use it, but I've found it to be an excellent program with lots of features. If I had one complaint it's that I wish it were prettier. grin

Very informative. Thanks, Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Charlie,

School me on the muti-riff. I will typically regen solo and some rhythm tracks multiple times and then stack them below the first gen in my DAW (Logic has as many tracks as you have memory for) and then cut and past from the multiple tracks to create a single track to my liking. I assume this results in the same outcome as the "multi-riff?"

Thanks,

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
From the RealBand users manual:

Quote:
With “Same but Different” MultiRiff selection you can audition 7 different RealTracks performances, to choose the one that works the best with your song, with a single click! This works for the entire track, or the highlighted region of a track. Choose one riff or multiple riffs to add to the song.

For example, if you want a pedal steel riff for 4 bars, highlight that region, and listen to the 7 selections, and choose the riff that works best. Or if you want 2 “different” acoustic guitar strumming parts, choose 2 from the 7 different generated parts, they will be written as to different tracks, and contain different strumming. We call this “Same but different” since the strumming patterns are on the same chords, but are different performances.

This way, with one command, you get 7 generations of a RealTrack over the same highlighted section of your song. Since each generation is slightly different, you get lots to choose from. You can audition them and then decide which one(s) you want to actually write to track(s) within RealBand.

And of course after doing it once, you can do it again, or choose a different part of the song to create the multiriff variations, or even select the entire song.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
MultiRiff.jpg (39.72 KB, 135 downloads)

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Bud, there could be, and should be a book just on Multi Riff alone. It is similar to how you generate, cut and past multiple tracks merging the edits into a unique single track. But that does not equal to Multi Riff capabilities.

Multi Riff is capable of constructing a riff from a note to the whole track. It will give 7 selections and the user can choose to select one, more than one or all 7 Multi Riff versions. If more than one riff is selected, the user can select the tracks where the additional tracks will be placed. Riff generations are user selectable to begin earlier and end later than the highlighted selection allowing a higher quality merge between the newly generated audio and the track audio.

You have two choices with every Multi Riff selection to either generate the current instrument or to choose any different RealTrack in the database. That means if you had used all of the available 48 tracks and needed room for a Bridge solo, you can use Multi Riff to generate and insert your solo on any existing track to do so.

On my system, generating a Multi Riff also generates a Midi Real Chart for the generated audio. A Midi instrument or Super Midi instrument can use the chart to twin with the Multi Riff generated audio. The Midi Real Charts can be erased and discarded if there is no need for them in your song.

If you are not satisfied with a bar or two of your chord chart, you have a choice to select and regenerate the RB track as normal or you can choose to generate 7 versions with Multi Riff to give yourself additional choices.

You get a lot of choices in the way you generate multiple tracks now. If you had the Multi Riff feature, you could save time and have better focus by being able to hone into the specific area you are wanting to work with. Also, if you are generating 7 track or 8 tracks to comp a solo for 8 bars, you have many choices if the generated tracks share additional verses or chorus's with the area you are working in. If they don't, say you are working on a bridge and it uses chords specific to the bridge, then without further time spent generating additional tracks, you are limited to the 7-8 tracks. With Multi Riff, you can generate a series of 7 multi Riffs in probably a 1/4 of the time it takes to load and generate complete tracks.

Again using an 8 bar uniquely chorded bridge, the seven different Multi Riffs can be cut/pasted into a unique bridge from the 7 selections.

I've probably overlooked things but that is a short summary. I'll leave with the thought that a year or so ago, I gifted the Pastor of the Church I attend a BIAB program. He uses the Mac platform and requested the Mac Biab version. I gave him a RB and Multi Riff demonstration and he purchased a PC desktop for his music and got the PC version of Biab.

Hopes this helps. If I've overlooked features or you have questions, post them here and either I or another user will try to help you out.

If you are wondering if it's worth the investment of a PC based desktop or laptop, I think it is.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
LOL, what John said - in way fewer words than I did........ and his picture tells you a lot....

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Charlie,

Thanks for taking the time for such a detailed explanation. I read it several times over and I "think" I now grasp the capabilities of it. I would love to have that function but for several reasons I'm reticent to pursue it. First, I used PC's daily from their inception in the early 80's until I switched to a Mac five years ago. For creating videos and photos editing (I fancy myself as a bit of a photographer) I feel that the Mac programs far exceed what I was using on my Dell. Secondly, I'm extremely pleased with the seamless manner that Logic Pro X and my Izotope suite work together. Dunno about RealBand and Izotope?? Over the past five years I've pretty much gotten my workflow established to my satisfaction.

There is one option that I could consider and that would be to create a Windows partition on my Mac's HD (readily doable) and run BiaB/RealBand there. But for mixing/mastering purposes I would have to transfer the tracks to Logic Pro X on the Mac side.

Pardon the thinking "out loud" smile and a big thanks again for your time!

Bud

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Glad to do it.

I fully understand that going cross platform from MAC to PC could can be a deal breaker. The only reason it wasn't for my Pastor, he got Biab for free and the cost of the PC was less than the Biab version he got. He also walked away with a computer dedicated to just music...

Considering the quality of your work, you're not missing much more than convenience. I've never seen a review or comment on one of your song posts where someone said, "Great song, but I'm hearing some Multi Riff opportunities that would have sent this song over the top."

As for photography, check out gigapans if you are not familiar with them. You can see gigapan photos at www.gigapan.com I take gigapan photos and it is a very satisfying and rewarding genre of the photography hobby. As you will see, they are great for mountainous locations. From the main screen, there is a search box and the word 'gigapans' should be listed as the search perimeter. Just click on the magnifying glass and it will open the browser for the latest gigapan posts. Enter my name, first and last in lower case and it should take to a few I posted as I was learning how to use the equipment.

Charlie

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 08/10/17 01:16 PM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
FWIW - This feature has been requested for BIAB (not exactly sure how it would be implemented, since BIAB doesn't have 7 extra audio tracks, but who knows...PGMusic often surprises us).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I'm definitely in the NO crowd when it comes to RealBand! smile

I'm not sure whether or not it is a resource hog but I have found it to be sluggish compared to more modern DAWs. I like Reaper and it is free to use as long as you want so that is not really an issue either. Because RB is an add-on to the main product it is not nearly as feature-rich as other DAWs nor is it ever likely to compete with them on that front. And I disagree with the notion that using a flawed tool is a worthwhile trade-off because it is "free". I agree new users should give RealBand a try but they should also try other DAWs to see what they are missing!

RealBand does have a single killer feature...the ability to generate RealTracks. So I use it for that feature, export the tracks it generates and do my mixing in a serious DAW!

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 08/10/17 03:46 PM.
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
For MultiRiffs on A Mac
Watch https://www.dropbox.com/s/4es22n4a8gq9vku/BB-MultiRiffs.mp4?dl=0

Biab MultiRiffs an Easier Way

Run Multiple Instances of Biab Mac

Or like JohnJohnJohn first suggested years back a BiaVST.

Off-Topic
L
Expert
Expert
L
I, for one, would like to know more about holds. I only ever used them in chord input in biab. Midi supertracks etc.; I need to go back to midi and the new midi sound generator and see what's what. I for one now value what realband has and have started to use it, but will finish mixing and mastering with izotope etc in Reaper. At least, that's the plan.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wow! what great feedback from everyone. I have learned a few things in this. Firstly I live in a "windows bubble" and tend to forget that there is a whole army pf people who use this wonderful product on a Mac. So it never crossed my mind that you would not also get RealBand with the Mac version.

Secondly, Charlie, thank you so much for your posts on the multi riff feature. I have never used it but I am definitely going to give it a try. I usually just keep hitting the "regenerate" until I get something I like.

Lamanda.. I think I need to do a very short blog post on how I generate the holds in Realband. It really is the most awesome feature and can add a very professional feel to your tracks.

I knew that there are some folks who do not use Realband at all in their workflow and that is fine. I am really not trying to convince anybody to change from their existing DAW to Realband, I am just trying to convince BIAB beginners who are graduating from using BIAB exclusively to a using a DAW to give RealBand a chance.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I experimented a bit with the multi riff feature in Realband and produced an instrumental gypsy jazz track. I have posted it to realstyle competition here (if anybody is interested)

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=425925#Post425925

I used the multi riff feature to generate the fiddle solo and then added some other instruments (using midi) that follow the fiddle solo.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Some great thoughts here.
I may try and do a vid on the multi riff feature.
You guys a certainly are a gold mine for ideas.
Rob

Last edited by Rob4580; 08/13/17 11:46 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,501
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195