Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
J
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
J
I've been running BIAB on this Lenovo laptop since Dec. with very little problem. Not unusual that a W10 update lurks menacingly on Friday mornings. Though I view these with trepidation, I've become complacent as there have been no problem until today's update ended with a "could not install update" message.

Nothing suspicious after that. System booted and things seemed to work fine until I tried BIAB and got error messages about not being able to locate Real tracks/drums on the BIAB D drive. I re-pointed BIAB's Prefs to D and all seems well.

So what the heck could have caused that?

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Do you live near Area 51? wink

No, seriously, could anything have happened that included a Restore Point when the update occurred?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: John Payne
...... update ended with a "could not install update" message ......... So what the heck could have caused that?

Permissions or Group Policy issue probably; i frequently have to use "Takeownership" (seek for a download called Takeownership.zip) again when Microsuck's updates screw-up my W10. Tweaking.com's Windows Repair too is of great help, repairing permissions, installers and tons more. Filehippo or MajorGeeks are recommended places where you can find these IMO necessary tools. PS only this month i had to reinstall an older Win10 boot partition True Image backup nevertheless after Windows had updated itself without my "permissions". F

Apprentice
Apprentice
Man, I've been a Windows user since Win 3.11 and I've NEVER had a non-fuctioning computer because of an OS upgrade.

But, I did get a faster system after I got Win 10.

How come? wink

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
Milano, Italy
https://soundcloud.com/theodore-kojak/tracks
Hy-Bro Test Sound Files
Expert
Expert
As we grow older the world around us seem to move faster and faster .... F

Veteran
Veteran
I'm with you Pepe. People post these update issues and I've never seen one including after I did the free update to Win 10 last year. Everything goes fine. It can't be that big of a deal or update problems would make it to the mainstream evening news. All I ever see is the occasional post on a forum like this one.

And every time I post this I keep thinking hmmmm, am I getting nailed on the next one?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Expert
Expert
W10 ran fine for about 4 months recently, thus only until microsuck's unwanted updates came sneaking around the bend. And, yep, again i switched windows updates off in services now, after reinstalling an old backup partition, had to .... I remember using a 3rd part stripped windows XP lite for a long time, as it was very fast and stable. Hope there will be some clever version for this one soon. PLEASE WITHOUT all these unwanted "freakyfeatures". They say i bought pro ... my foot.

A new one BTW: As i needed the space taken up by f.i. the windows.old and windows.000 folders, both around 20+ GB, i seemed to have lost my legit activation. Called microsuck, and they bluntly refused to release my code again without remote access to my computer, judging by the name of this official "helper" some one residing in India or so. I gave them my serial, they said it was legit, but refused to release my (???) code. They just force you to use an 'unofficial' activator.

BTW the same happened with Office 2016 i bought last year. The online installer did not work all of a sudden anymore after 6 months; some unknown error. Open Office saved my workflow that day, and now i run an older MS office version again. F

Veteran
Veteran
C'mon dude. Microsuck? Really?

You've obviously been effing around with your system too much and then reinstalled an "old backup partition"? And now you can't find your activation code and you want MS to kiss it and make it all right? You want them to send you a little blue blankie too?

I always say this to folks who post stuff like this.

Question:

How many people have you heard of out of whatever humongous amount of people (500 million maybe) running Win 10 that are having these sorts of problems?

Just run your system as it's designed to run including automatic updates.

Oh yeah, I ran a Winlite version of XP for years too. So what, that has squat to do with now.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I concur with Bob. One doesn't do themselves any favors by slandering an organization or their products by referring to them with deliberately degraded names.

I definitely appreciate your concerns and frustrations and hope you resolve, but it's surely better to refer to items using their correct references.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
G
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
G
Had a similar problem last week after windows update on my Lenovo laptop. You need to go into Lenovo settings and install system update. This involved a Bios update as well.
All OK now.

Garth

Windows 11 i5 Laptop PC, Raspberry Pi4B 8gb running Linux and Windows 11. BB2022 Ultraplus. Sonar. Yamaha DGX 660 piano. Audacity. Irig Keys Controller.
Veteran
Veteran
+1 Bob. Haven't had any problems with Win 10 and updates. My laptop and BIAB run very smoothly.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Veteran
Veteran
FWIW
If you look good and hard, Microsoft has a link to a mobile phone option that you can use to activate the OS on a given machine during the activation process. (uses text message)

Faster than the regular phone activation method, more likely to succeed than other methods, and pretty easy to do. (in my experience)

The 'regular' phone method (phone call) is more likely to succeed than using the basic OS activation method in my experience, but the mobile phone (text) option has always seemed to just work. At least for me (W7,W8 and W10).

One of our IT guys showed me this (we have an IT division that works with some pretty large companies), so thought I'd mention/share.
Availability may be US based only, dunno.
Using this method, MS sends a text to your mobile phone with a link to copy/paste the code .. and I've had very good success this way. Including for activating Windows on other company's network machines (not MY personal/professional OS/license) but it still worked.
Of course I had a legit code for the given machine, but I was surprised it let me use my mobile phone multiple times for multiple machines. And seemed faster and less frustrating.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
C'mon dude. Microsuck? Really?

You've obviously been effing around with your system too much and then reinstalled an "old backup partition"? And now you can't find your activation code and you want MS to kiss it and make it all right? You want them to send you a little blue blankie too?

I always say this to folks who post stuff like this.

Question:

How many people have you heard of out of whatever humongous amount of people (500 million maybe) running Win 10 that are having these sorts of problems?

Just run your system as it's designed to run including automatic updates.

Oh yeah, I ran a Winlite version of XP for years too. So what, that has squat to do with now.

Bob

Come on Bob (and Videotrack), you must de kiddin'; "really"?

Really yes .... effing is certainly needed, and once again as the latest "update' f.i. killed my Firefox installation by forcing me to use their Edge. Just like they did with Internet Explorer some years ago when windows 7 came around the bend. Actually that was even forbidden by EU laws regarding competition, and forced upon Microsoft to withdraw. Maybe not in the US, but privacy matters for citizens are a big thing in Europe.

BTW Effing is IMO also needed since i don't want all sorts of automatically installed apps (to name a few, location, camera, cortana, appstore and more), this besides tweaks needed to get my USB audio interface working without problems.

Effing is especially needed to block Microsuck's spying on a paying client's PRIVATE matters.

Here's a list f.i. of sites Windows 10 sends information on you without your knowledge, in this case published by Majorgeeks :

Quote:
Some of the domains we (majorgeeks) know send anonymous information back to Microsoft include:

vortex.data.microsoft.com
vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
redir.metaservices.microsoft.com
choice.microsoft.com
choice.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
df.telemetry.microsoft.com
reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
telemetry.microsoft.com
watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com
telemetry.appex.bing.net
telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
telemetry.appex.bing.net:443
settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
survey.watson.microsoft.com
watson.live.com
watson.microsoft.com
statsfe2.ws.microsoft.com
corpext.msitadfs.glbdns2.microsoft.com
compatexchange.cloudapp.net
cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
a-0001.a-msedge.net
statsfe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
sls.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
fe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
diagnostics.support.microsoft.com
corp.sts.microsoft.com
statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com
pre.footprintpredict.com
i1.services.social.microsoft.com
i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
feedback.windows.com
feedback.microsoft-hohm.com
feedback.search.microsoft.com
rad.msn.com
preview.msn.com
ad.doubleclick.net
ads.msn.com
ads1.msads.net
ads1.msn.com
a.ads1.msn.com
a.ads2.msn.com
adnexus.net
adnxs.com
az361816.vo.msecnd.net
az512334.vo.msecnd.net

As long as they are not behaving as some big brother taking control over your personal stuff UNLAWFULLY by these kind of schemes i cannot "really" respect any company behaving like this. IMO Windows 10 should even be classified un-trusted spyware without "effing". They just behave like criminals by secretly selling your private matters over the internet, and that's not my opinion only BTW. A license costs for about some 100 bucks, and then they behave like that by opening your backdoor for everyone paying them to come in, have a look around, and sneak off with your personal stuff on the way out? Sucks IMO.

More info:
windows-10-upgrade-spying-how-to-opt-out
Independant. -F

Veteran
Veteran
Ok. Whatever.

Lost Firefox, forced to use Edge? Nope.

Tweaks required to get USB interfaces to work? Nope.

Sneak out with your personal stuff? Behaving like criminals? Nope.

I've read all about this so called spying, I'm not going to go into it here. Believe what you will. Maybe you should just go to the library and read a good book. A physical book, nothing online...Oh, and don't forget your tinfoil lined hat either, you never know.

Bob

Expert
Expert
Dude, tinfoil hat ... You utilize rather offensive words, all you can think of? You're probably a real nice feller i'd say. F

Apprentice
Apprentice
Fiddler2007... with all due respect... you leave a significantly bigger and more filled-with-your-personal-info digital footprint trail by using any service/app provided by Google and/or Facebook than using W 10.

You just don't know enough about what REALLY happens behind-the-scenes and what personal data the WWW is constantly collecting every time you open your browser, ANY browser. Computer, Tablet or Smartphone. So believe me when I tell you the W 10 is the LEAST of your problems.

The only way to be "protected" by any "Big Brother" intrusion is becoming Amish. And no, I'm not joking.

I'm talking about this as a former Network Admin specializing in security of an Intellectual Property and Trademarking Office in my home city.

Sleep tight! wink

Last edited by LtKojak; 08/23/17 10:05 AM.

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
Milano, Italy
Hy-Bro Test Sound Files
Veteran
Veteran
Exactly Pepe. It's funny how some people will just rant and rant and have no clue at all.

He's worried about MS stealing his soul? MS is the least of it. I've said the same thing you did many times. If you're that paranoid about all that data mining go back to the 19th Century. What fun they had back then...

Fiddler seriously though I'm just making a point and having some fun at the same time. Don't take it too seriously and don't wear that weird hat when I'm trying to buy you a beer...

Bob

Apprentice
Apprentice
Exhibit A: feeling pretty comfortable spewing vitriol @ Microsoft but he feels offended by the mention of tinfoil hat?

What is more evident? The irony or the hipocresy?

Your Honor, I rest my case.

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
Milano, Italy
Hy-Bro Test Sound Files
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: LtKojak
you leave a significantly bigger and more filled-with-your-personal-info digital footprint trail by using any service/app provided by Google and/or Facebook than using W 10.

Google watching what you do? Well, of course not (much).

Click here to see what Google has been watching you do lately...

Expert
Expert
Well, as some seem to be (personally?) offended by me calling a company names i'll apologize to you. But leave my name calling open to Micros**** for as long they keep me frustrated over and over again when some unwanted and unneeded "updates" are causing me to loose time in getting things fixed or reinstalled. BTW i try to avoid google as much as possible for years now. As for the Amish; apart for their religious beliefs i am kind of jealous for their simple (?) lifestyle with a far less ecological footprint on this planet. F

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195