Page 1 of 2 1 2
Beginners Forum
P
props2 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Hello everyone,I am new with this recording stuff and would like to purchase a audio interface to run in BIAB.My main use is to produce backing tracks to play by bass to.I have a Fender p-bass with passive pickups and a 5 banger with active pickups.Do I need to be concerned on what interface model purchase with these different type of pickups? I have been looking at the Focusrite models. I dont know,what I dont know!!I would like to keep the price between 2 and 3 hundred bucks,not sure I need to spend that.

Thank you.

BIAB 2020 Ultrapak HP Elitebook 8770W Intel I7 2.3GHz 12GB
Windows 10pro 64Bit
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
focusrite scarlet is a good option. I've used focusrite for many years with total satisfaction in the job it does. Very low latency.

Be sure it has phantom power, built in audio preamps, and uses ASIO drivers. (no codecs, and other proprietary software drivers.)

Presonus, M-Audio, Roland, are also good options. The interface is the heart of your studio so be willing to get a good one.

Also... consider a decent condenser mic... not a USB model. Then, a decent pair of studio monitors will get you where you need to be. Total budget can be under $800 for all the parts.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi Props2,

Another vote here for Focusrite interfaces. In the past years I have used many audio interfaces including the Edirol(Roland) and M-Audio. Currently using the Focusrite 18i20 (18 inputs - 20 outputs) The Focusrite Scarlett range starts with just 2 inputs and 2 outputs(stereo) upwards so depending on your recording requirements (how many tracks you wish to record at one time you may be able to work with less channels)
My Focusrite has been very reliable so far and latency is low. Excellent advice above from Guitarhacker.
Having used budget USB mics I would certainly agree that you should spend as much as possible on a good quality conventional all rounder studio condenser mic.
Quality makes look after you when it comes to reliability.

Good luck with your search smile

Kev.

BIAB 2022 PLUSPAK (ext HD), 49PAKs, STYLESPAKs 1 - 6, Win 7 64bit PC, REAPER, Ozone, Adobe Audition CS6, EZ Drummer3 + EZ Keys,Soundcraft MTK22, Behringer X Touch Universal Controller,, SE Gemini/Rode NT2/Neumann/Shure mics
Beginners Forum
P
props2 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Thank you both,for your answers.My original question was,well...not well thought out. So maybe I should reword this.

Is the passive pickups on my bass a hi-Z input?
Is the active pickups(9v battery powered)also hi-Z?

Do I need to be careful what I buy or do all the new interfaces cover the gamet of inputs.
BTW,I will not be using a mic for anything...I would scare myself!

Can I assume the interface also drives the signal for a pair of self powered monitoring speakers? I was thinking something like JBL 6"or 8" for the desk.

Windows 10pro 64Bit
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: props2
Thank you both,for your answers.My original question was,well...not well thought out. So maybe I should reword this.

Is the passive pickups on my bass a hi-Z input? Yes
Is the active pickups(9v battery powered)also hi-Z? No. Active pickups typically are line level.

Do I need to be careful what I buy or do all the new interfaces cover the gamet of inputs.
BTW,I will not be using a mic for anything...I would scare myself! Loaded question. Most interfaces have at least two inputs and can have as many as 48 or more. Some interfaces have just line inputs, some just microphone inputs and some a mixture of both. Some line level inputs have a control to switch between line level and high-z (high impedance) inputs.

Can I assume the interface also drives the signal for a pair of self powered monitoring speakers? I was thinking something like JBL 6"or 8" for the desk.Audio interfaces typically do not power speakers. Desktop speakers can be unpowered or self powered. The self powered speakers have a built-in amplifier. None of the Focusrite interfaces can power speakers.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
P
props2 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Thank you Jim for the reply. I need to get my head around this and maybe I am making this more complicated then it needs to be.Here is my scenario,
I like to play my bass to BIAB backing tracks that I have made and have the ability to record the bass on a track to critique my playing.Sometimes I play just to bassless online backing tracks.
When I am in playback mode I usually just output the laptop to my amp and use headphones, sometimes no headphones, but it seems the bass frequency and the music compete against one another even though it is a 500W 4-10 cabinet.It just don't sound that great.

At that point do I output the laptop to a pair of self powered studio monitors?
Will I get that sterile sound from studio monitors?
Is a laptop sound card good enough for this setup? I am thinking there has to be a better way.I dont mind spending the cash for the proper stuff.
Or...Do I rip out my big Yamaha sound system in the tv room and put in my music room. (The kids would get me in the middle of the night):)

Windows 10pro 64Bit
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Jim answered the questions well.

My Focusrite has a button on the input of each channel that lets me choose line level or instrument level.

One bit of advice regardless of anything else..... ALWAYS turn the level control DOWN to zero on the channel when you plug something else in. Then, you turn it up as needed. You probably know that but it's amazing how easy it is to forget that and end up damaging something because the new source was overloading the input.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
+1 to Herb's last advice. This is especially true if you have phantom power turned on.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Hi
I use the Akai EIE PRO
As it is 24 bit, the basic model the Red one is 16bit

The vu meters are excellent and light up bright red on clipping you wont miss it..
It has many features you will not find on many other audio interfaces like 4 send and return skts and control room monitoring.
Probably best to have a look at this dealer review below give you an idea.if you don’t know it,
Lots of other info on Google,

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/blog/akai-eie-and-akai-eie-pro-audio-interfaces

best regards
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: props2
Thank you Jim for the reply. I need to get my head around this and maybe I am making this more complicated then it needs to be.Here is my scenario,
I like to play my bass to BIAB backing tracks that I have made and have the ability to record the bass on a track to critique my playing.Sometimes I play just to bassless online backing tracks.
When I am in playback mode I usually just output the laptop to my amp and use headphones, sometimes no headphones, but it seems the bass frequency and the music compete against one another even though it is a 500W 4-10 cabinet.It just don't sound that great.

At that point do I output the laptop to a pair of self powered studio monitors?
Will I get that sterile sound from studio monitors?
Is a laptop sound card good enough for this setup? I am thinking there has to be a better way.I dont mind spending the cash for the proper stuff.
Or...Do I rip out my big Yamaha sound system in the tv room and put in my music room. (The kids would get me in the middle of the night):)

Personally, I wouldn't think any (no brand specified) 500W bass amplifier pushing a four speaker cabinet would sound good in any household setting. You'd have to keep the volume turned down so low it would sound like blah. frown But that's another discussion altogether. Conversely if you connected your laptop and bass to your Yamaha sound system in the tv room the bass likely wouldn't sound right.

So your ideal audio interface has: 1) at least one high impedance, or high-z, instrument input 2) receives digital or analog audio from a pc 3) direct monitoring that eliminates latency so pc and bass audio can be played together 4) a blend control to listen to either the bass or pc audio or blend them together 5) headphone output and 6) external speaker output. Note: You really want to be able to blend everything together so your (one channel) bass is sent evenly to both outputs.

Your ideal speakers are likely a 2 + 1 self powered configuration where you have two desktop speakers providing mid and high frequency directional audio and a separate sub woofer for the bass frequencies. It will be helpful if the speaker system has frequency adjustments built-in so you can adjust the sound to match what you hear with headphones. Pricey at $699 but +++ this Blue Sky eXo2 Stereo System +++ is an example of what's available.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
P
props2 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Thank you all for your time and answers. Jim,your explanation hit the nail on the head.The hunt on these items moves forward.

Windows 10pro 64Bit
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
A decent monitor system is not 'pricey' at $699, in my opinion.
We paid more for our Blue Sky 2.1 system many years ago, no complaints.
We use them with a couple other JBL and MX-Audio monitor systems to compare.

I can't vouch for this particular model, but the Blue Sky's we have were worth every penny. We abuse them sometimes to be honest, but they have lasted many years and worked great.
When you hear things right it saves money, time, aggravation and that stuff pays for itself.

Good pre-amps and good monitors are good investments.
They improve the end result more than the software used or other aspects. At least in my experience/opinion.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Beginners Forum
P
props2 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Thank you rharv for that opinion. Looks like a nice setup. I have my eyes on the Focal Alpha 50 which get great reviews also and would not kill the bank at 600 a pair.For my small 12x12 music room,that would be sufficient.Now I just need to find a decent interface which I am thinking rack mount.Not that I need all the I/O,But the desk is setup for rack mounts so that may help with clutter.So, any input on a $600 or so rack mount interface that will do the job of making all this work would be great(and sound good with room to grow). Again,its just me...the bass and the band(BIAB).Oh and a Budweiser to smooth things over.:)

Windows 10pro 64Bit
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
For an audio interface in that price range; Scarlet 18i20.

These days that would be where I'd start

Beginners Forum
Apprentice
Apprentice
+1 on that!

The 18i20 would certainly more than cover your current requirements and leave you plenty of scope for
expansion.

You will see from the focusrite blurb at: https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-18i20
it is rack mountable. The front and rear panels cover pretty much all types of impedance inputs you will need (high z, low z using combination XLR and 1/4" Jack sockets with further pad switches to moderate high signals.

If you look at the rear panel in detail you will see that outputs 1 & 2 (highlighted white) are dedicated to line outputs to your powered monitors.

Also shown are other models with less ins and outs if you feel that 18i20 is overkill but these are free standing units.

BIAB 2022 PLUSPAK (ext HD), 49PAKs, STYLESPAKs 1 - 6, Win 7 64bit PC, REAPER, Ozone, Adobe Audition CS6, EZ Drummer3 + EZ Keys,Soundcraft MTK22, Behringer X Touch Universal Controller,, SE Gemini/Rode NT2/Neumann/Shure mics
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I agree

One of my units is an 18i20

It definitely does deliver the goods.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I think the 18i20 might be a little overkill! 18 inputs and 20 outputs when all he wants it for is to plug his bass guitar into.

I'm running the 2i4 here, great little unit that is perfect for plugging my guitars, bass, and keyboards into. Plus a mic the odd times I do that.

Even that is probably more than he needs, the 2i2 or even the solo with one input would be fine.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
I think the 18i20 might be a little overkill! 18 inputs and 20 outputs when all he wants it for is to plug his bass guitar into.

I'm running the 2i4 here, great little unit that is perfect for plugging my guitars, bass, and keyboards into. Plus a mic the odd times I do that.

Even that is probably more than he needs, the 2i2 or even the solo with one input would be fine.

I agree with Dave. Props 2 can purchase a shelf for his rack and place the 2i4 on it. That will work and save him some money.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
His request (asking me):
Quote:
any input on a $600 or so rack mount interface that will do the job of making all this work would be great(and sound good with room to grow)

Sound good with room to grow.
Under $600
Rack Mount

He has $600 to spend, and wants something with good quality that will work reliably and have 'room to grow'. He'll still have money left over and a nice interface that meets the requested options with the 18i20. . if he went with a 2i4 he may be unplugging/plugging things in constantly, or worse yet run out of inputs some day when a few buddies show up to record.
The 18i20 (in his budget) does not have as many limitations and suits his specs nicely.
My humble opinion.

Beginners Forum
P
props2 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
You are absolutely correct. Room to grow,I hate buying things twice. I have taken all your advice and ordered the 18i20 with a pair of Focal Alpha 50.I have a spare 15 Rythmik sub and a 10"super cube laying around if I feel like it needs a sub.This will get me started....who knows what this disease brings next. Thank you all.

Windows 10pro 64Bit
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195