Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Mac,
I posted a link that sounds like the same problem but she hasn't even addressed looking at it.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
W
Expert
Expert
W
Quote:

For the input I have set the delta midi input, since the yamaha keybooard is coming into the delta midi connector. That isn't too hard to understand.

BUT my listed midi output options are either to the delta card, the microsoft midi mapper , or the microsoft gs wavetable sw synth. I tried setting the midi output to the delta card so all the audio and midi ins and outs would connected to the delta card ... but it doesn't work for the midi output. No midi through the speakers.

Here's a simple test record a midi phrase one one track from your keyboard. save this as test 1. now hook your midi cable "out" from your delta to the "midi in" in your KB. If you KB has speakers playback the test1 file and you will here the midi out through the delta to the KB and speakers. If there is no on board speakers on the KB run your audio out to the speakers as if you were playing live. run the test midi file. You will hear the playback from the computer through the KB and out the speakers. The Delta does not have a sound module to playback the midi files. That's why the DXI synth is used to convert the midi into sound waves the delta can send to the speakers.
This was just another way of saying what Manning1 said
I hope this helps Wyndham.

RealBand
K
kristen Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
K
Two things

<<Mac,
I posted a link that sounds like the same problem but she hasn't even addressed looking at it. >>>

I did look at this and i tried getting drivers , i wrote a lengthy reponse to which i was timed out and lost everything and I was very tired and didn't feel like spending another hour trying to remember and retype what i had lost . Weighing my options i picked the best choice , I went to sleep.

the other thing, i neglected to mention was that if I did select delta 1010lt for the midi out and connected it to my yamaha, it would play out through my yamaha keyboard. i rarely do this because I can get just as good a synth sound from within the computer. My intention is to have the midi come out my computer speakers like the analog stuff as doing.

The computer speakers are connected to the left and right outputs of the delta card channels 1 and 2. , which are the left and right audio out lines.

superkristen

Super K

Kristen of "Blues Matters"
http://www.motagator.net/bluesmatters
RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
*Does the keyboard have its own built in hardware MIDi synth?

If so, you must connect its Audio Outputs L and R to a set of Audio Inputs on the Delta card in order to route the MIDI Output of the computer to the keyboard and hear the sounds the keyboard makes.

--Mac

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
The way Kristen is preferring to do this is to use the onboard synth, in which case she should select either the GSWavetable synth (the oly viable option she listed) or the DXi/VSTi reroute option so she can use the Forte (which would be preferred here by far over GS wavetable synth)

Sounds like her physical connections are good. The realtec may have an update running in the background that keeps resetting itself as default synth, or windows may be doing it if she does not have the Delta selected as default windows device which she still has not confirmed.

Kristen,
you do not need the realtec to playback the GSwavetable synth or the Forte DXi synth as long as you have selected the M-Audio Delta 1010lt outputs 1&2 as the default outputs for windows.
You could select 'Monitor Mix' as well, but I use the 1&2 out here.
Confirm the Delta is selected as default windows device in Control Panel - Sound area.
Under the audio tab.

IF you do want your Yamaha sounds, you could easily hook up the audio outputs from the Yamaha to another set of inputs on the Delta 1010 - no need for the mixer manning1 spoke of, since the 1010lt has a fine mixer inside of it already.

The old drivers are stable, so if you liked them go ahead and use them as long as M-Audio says they work for whatever OS you are using. Is that dual core a 32 or 64 bit processor?

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
K
kristen Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
K
The keyboard is a "stand alone"type with built in speakers so i guess it has its own built in hardware syth.
It has an audio out jack in addition to the midi in and midi out jack.

I usually just connect the midi out jack to the delta midi in and record to a click track or whatever is recorded. I can hear myself good enough through the keyboards own speakers, so I have no latency. ((Being connected this way , i could also play the keyboard and have a replica of its sound come out from the computer speakers, but when I do this I usually get some latency, so i avoid it).
And yes i can record from the yamahas audio out jack as well, but I cannot alter the audio like i can the midi sounds)

superkristen

Super K

RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Connect both MIDI and Audio outputs of the keyboard to the soundcard.

Inside RB or PT, you can select in the Prefs to record Audio or MIDI or both.

I leave mine set to both.

When I record Audio from the keyboard, the program will say that there was MIDI data, and do I want to keep it on a separate track, I say Yes to that.

If I need to edit, I edit the MIDI and kill the audio track. That MIDI track will have to be re-recorded to Audio track before all is said an done.

If I don't need to edit, I already have an Audio track of the performance, plus I have the MIDI track available, too.

--Mac

RealBand
M
Expert
Expert
M
rharv
its a fair point you make bout useing the delta audio inputs for the audio outs from a midi external synth or kbd. the prob becomes if one needs the inputs for something else.
i guess one can always plug/unplug etc etc.
i just found it a hassle once useing one device.

Last edited by manning1; 11/19/09 04:50 PM.

retired puter engr....powertracks on amd......NICE !
"what is the black art of audio engineering ?"
my silly songs...motagator.com/bmanning
see my tips in the tips section.
RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Delta 1010 is a multiple input/output card and has enough inputs for her to connect the Audio Out of the keyboard to two of them and still she should have plenty of other Line Inputs on the card to connect mics, other Lines.

--Mac

RealBand
M
Expert
Expert
M
mac.
yes i understand that.

it really depends if one has the budget for it...
but i used to have a set up like the following..
the way i feel a audio/midi daw studio should be properly organised.
and man i tell ya i used to go in studios where they took the concept
even wayfurther than i with loads of external midi modules etc.
so here goes ..(actually its not too expensive cos behr mixers are so cheap these
days etc. )
two mixers in concept.
lets call one the input mixer that brings in all the mics
n sends feeds to the daw traks.
second back end mixer that can have several duties...
sending phone cue mixes to musicians.
mixing audio outs from several multi timbral midi modules with the individual outs from the multi output sound device .
actually some studios have multiple mixers. as i'm sure you know.
one to handle mics to daw.
one to handle monitoring.
one to handle multiple different cue mixes to musicians cans mate.
one to purely mix/master etc .
ive seen some very big set ups.
or they might have two big mixers with lots of channels n subgroups
..cos it can get pretty complex.

the problem is a lot of small daw set ups cant afford this approach.
but its certainly a nice approach from a organisational aspect mate.
which is why i usually suggest a microcosm of the above approach.
eg 2 behr mixers cost 120 buks.
one handling front end , n one back end.
ps..then of course ya gotta buy a patch bay also ideally..lol..
instead of fiddling round the back of a mixer etc.

Last edited by manning1; 11/21/09 05:23 AM.

RealBand
K
kristen Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
K
I disconnected the realtec and seem to have the sound working out of the delta card now.. I thought i was finally understanding the outputs of the delta. So i kept my speakers hooked up to outputs 1 and 2. Worked fine.
NOW, ... I USED to have my headphone amplifier "tee'd in to the 1 and 2 speaker outputs to get it to work Now that i understand how the outputs worked , i hooked up the headphone amp to outputs 3 and 4 of the Delta card (instead of "Tee-ing out of 1 and 2) . . In RealBands audio output setup, I highlighted the outs 1 and 2 (for computer speakers left and right)) and 3 and 4 (for headphone amp left and right). Headphone amp didn't work. I went over everything again and again, checking connections, checking the delta mixing panel, checking the wires, checking what i had set in Realband. Still nothing out of the 3 and 4. After an hour I was about to give up, but decided to try it in Reaper as I was sure my connections were correct.
i tried it in reaper with and outputs to 1 and 2 for speakers and 3 and 4 for headphone amp. They both worked no problem. It was just as easy to mute the outputs to either speakers or headphone amp. now thats the way it should be!. so it wasn't all me ..... it was Realband.

So now i have to transfer stuff from one program to the other when recording through the headphones . Do-able but a hassle. Could anyone think of any reason why Realband doesn't see outputs 3 and 4 when they are "highlighted" as outputs?

Thanks
Kristen

Super K

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I'm sure Realband did 'see' the outputs 3&4, which is why they were selectable.

When you select more outputs in Realband preferences area you are enabling them.
Then you have to assign tracks to given ports, so although 3&4 were 'enabled' you weren't sending anything to them.
Realband uses the highlited driver that is closest to the top as the default output, which was 1&2 in your case, and all tracks were assigned to the default output.

Had you 'un-highlited' 1&2 and left 3&4 highlited you would have sent it to the headphone amp.
(Since 3&4 would have been the only outputs highlited they would turn into the default)

What you wanted to do can actually be done inside the M-Audio mixer too

RealBand
K
kristen Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
K
Ok i will try just enabling the "headphone" outputs. Do i have select and "bring them to the top"?

Is it possible to have more than just one output selected ... like to both the speakers and the headphones?

Also, I am not quite sure what you mean by the different ports. I see them when I right click on a track but really haven't messed with them.

Thanks
Kristen

Super K

RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
kristen,

There's one more step in PT or RB

In Tracks View, RightClick on the area below the track name.

There will be a popup menu where you can select the Audio Ports.

Select which ones you want to route the output to for each track.

You can route to both 1&2 and 3&4 at the same time for each track and use the hardware controls on your speakers to mute them when using headphones. Hardware controls on headphone amp to mute headphones when using only speakers.

--Mac

RealBand
K
kristen Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
K
In the audio out setup:

I highlighted only 1/2 (speakers) ...Only speakers played (normal volume)

I highlighted both 1/2 (speakers) and 3/4 (headphones)... Only speakers played (normal volume)

I highlighted only 3/4 (headphones)... headphones played, but sound was coming out of the speakers at about 1/3 volume. Why??

Mac, I looked at the "ports" you were talking about. For each channel it looked like a whole bunch of choices , but they all had the same description. If I changed an audio input driver by "highlighting it" I noticed that the port list description would change. But again, there were a whole bunch of them all with the same description. Whats the purpose?

(I also noticed that the midi also had a bunch of different pots as well, but I will learn about that later.)

I am making some progress though, as I can get the sound through to the headphones now.

Ideally i would like to be able to get them to both speakers and headphone amp. ((and super-ideally, it would be nice to actually control which tracks go to the speakers and to the headphones if I decide to separate them)).

thanks
superkristen

Super K

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
You could easily assign tracks to ports, make sure both '1&2' and '3&4' are highlited in the options preferences area, then select the port by track (right clicking as Mac stated)

Selecting them in the preferences area (drivers) just enables them.
Then assigning a track to that port is what makes the sound actually go there.
So enable alll four (or eight if you want) outputs, then assign each track to whichever output port you want by right-clicking

Hearing things at lower volume may suggest the soundcard mixer is set 'wrong' in the routing area. See if tracks are being routed to the 'Monitor Mix' or to each independant track. I say 'wrong' in quotes because there are instances where this may be what you want, but it can cause problems in everyday use.

If, for instance, tracks 3&4 are routed to the Monitor Mix instead of to outputs 3&4 they get mixed in inside the soundcard mixer, and that could account for bleedthrough and strange volumes..

RealBand
K
kristen Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
K
Not sure I understand the difference between the monitor mix and wav 1/2 out. The monitor mix seems to give me more control and if I max it out, it sounds identical to the wav 1/2 out.

as far as the ports, i am really not seeing much of a choice difference ... all sixteen or so (i forget how many) of the port assignments look identical. If my choice of port assignment is based on the audio output I select, then why are there so many "choices" to begin with? for example, why would there be so many (identical choices) if i only decide to only enable the outputs 1/2 for my speaker ?

thanks
superkristen

Super K

RealBand
M
Expert
Expert
M
kristen
another option.
as far as i understand the delta is multi out capable.
eg 8 discreet outs. thru 8 output jacks.
so to save futzing with the delta control panel..
and the reason for my earlier post , this is where an external
line mixer comes in. used cost 70 buks.
you assign which recorded traks go out to which delta output ,
then connect the 8 outs from delta to line mixer 8 line ins.
the line mixer will have volume and pan controls.
so you can mix.
as well as a couple of stereo sends.
as well as headphone out.
makes things easy imho.
just plug your phones into line mixer phones out,
and your monitors to stereo line out of line mixer.
mebe others will disagree , but thats how moi would do it.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Not sure I understand the difference between the monitor mix and wav 1/2 out. The monitor mix seems to give me more control and if I max it out, it sounds identical to the wav 1/2 out.

as far as the ports, i am really not seeing much of a choice difference ... all sixteen or so (i forget how many) of the port assignments look identical. If my choice of port assignment is based on the audio output I select, then why are there so many "choices" to begin with? for example, why would there be so many (identical choices) if i only decide to only enable the outputs 1/2 for my speaker ?

thanks
superkristen

Monitor Mix *can* include the signals from any inputs or outputs, depending on how the routing is set up and where the faders are for the inputs, etc. So just know that by using the Monitor Mix as the driver it is possible to get multiple signals going out 1&2, much like you do inside PT or RB. May explain why sometimes you hear other signals at 30% or whatever as you mentioned earlier in the thread.

The reason you have so many available choices in RB (and PT) is because they are 'available' (just not assigned). If you have one output driver, it is the default and they will all say the same thing because that is all you can choose. They are 'placeholders' in a way.
If you select two outputs it will list the first one, then the second one, then the rest will default to the first one again.

RealBand
K
kristen Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
K
How about the midi tracks? Can they be assigned to particulat output ports as well?

thanks
superkristen

Super K

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,182
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185