Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Woodshedding - Learning to Play!
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Bluegrass banjo is a very structured style of playing of what is often designated as the only "original American instrument." Bluegrass banjos have 5-strings, with the 5th string being a drone (seldom fretted)and tuned to a high G. The standard tuning is G,D,G,B,D. However, there are other tunings.

There are other styles of banjo playing known by various other designations such as frailing banjo, old-time banjo, and clawhammer banjo. These latter styles are beautiful with a great Americana feel and are generally played with the unaided hand and/or fingers i.e no picks. For more information on these styles you might want to do a little research on the web. There are also four-string banjos, known as Tenor banjos, that are used primarily in the older jazz groups or as some call it "riverboat banjo." Tenor banjos are not considered bluegrass instruments. But for now let's get back to Bluegrass banjo.

Bluegrass banjo is most often identified with music in the style of Earl Scruggs which is often called "Scruggs style". The major hallmark of the style is the use of four and eight note picking patterns called "rolls" that are mixed and matched and often repeated randomly in a song. While Scruggs style does incorporate a melody line, the melody notes are often surrounded, if not literally buried in a flurry of "fill" notes. An additional hallmark of the style is the use of three finger picks, usually metal picks placed on the index and middle fingers, and a plastic or Delrin finger pick for the thumb. This combination of "rolls" and "finger picks" gives Bluegrass banjo, or Scruggs style, it's unique and recognizable sound. It's is also often referred to as "three-finger style."

There are other styles of Bluegrass banjo that incorporate picks such as Reno style, which is characterized by single string melody notes, and Chromatic or Keith style (named for banjoist Bill Keith) which is characterized by melodic or chromatic playing which sticks more closely to the melody of the song, frequently without all the fills associated with Scruggs style.

Learning to play bluegrass banjo requires extreme dedication to the instrument and the style to achieve that "bluegrass banjo" sound. It takes daily practice with a metronome to achieve the speed and smoothness necessary to play the style well. I had been playing acoustic and electric guitar for over twelve years when I got my first banjo. It was a five-string, long-neck or "folk banjo" ala Pete Seeger. Not exactly the best banjo for bluegrass, but it got me started. I spent many nights and weekends with the banjo and a metronome learning "bluegrass standards" that are considered must-know songs for the genre. Even with that extreme level of dedication it took me about seven years to achieve the speed, feel, and smoothness usually identified with the bluegrass banjo sound. Only after such an extensive woodshedding tenure was I able to bring the instrument to the stage. Not a small commitment by any means.

If after reading this, you'd rather learn to play bluegrass banjo than use the wonderful and amazing banjo sounds found in BIAB Real Tracks here are my suggestions for getting started.

1. For at least the first month, get a banjo teacher, to be sure you're starting out with the correct hand position, picks, etc. to avoid any bad habits right up front.

2. Learn to play as many bluegrass standards as you can stand, starting with "Cripple Creek" and "Eight More Miles to Louisville" etc all the while using the metronome to keep you honest. Trust me when I say that NO ONE will want to play with you if you have bad timing. The metronome will help insure that your timing is solid.

3. Practice every day, for as long as you or your family, roommates etc. can stand it, again with the metronome. Making some backing tracks of well-known bluegrass songs with BIAB is a great way to practice.

4. Try to find some other bluegrassers to play with. Like any other instrument you have to get out there with other musicians to really get a feel for the genre, and to develop your chops.

5. Get a few good bluegrass banjo books and study them. I recommend:
-Bluegrass Banjo (Pete Wernick)
-Earl Scruggs and the 5-String Banjo (Earl Scruggs)
-Melodic Banjo (Tony Trischka)
-Bill Keith Banjo (Bluegrass Masters)

Most of these books are available at good folk/acoustic music stores or from Amazon.com if you don't have a store nearby.

6. Like learning any other genre of music you have to listen to a LOT of bluegrass music to get a feel for the genre and how the banjo fits into it. CDs, MP3s, whatever you can find that have some of the top players will get you going.

7. If you're REALLY serious, get yourself to a Banjo Camp with other bluegrass players and play your butt off. Pete Wernick aka "Dr. Banjo" and author of "Bluegrass Banjo" (referenced above) has a great banjo camp in Niwot, Colorado just a few miles up the road from me. It's a fabulous learning experience. You might also check with your local folk music store to find out what opportunities are available near you.

8. And finally, you can hardly learn to appreciate bluegrass music and the banjo without attending some of the wonderful bluegrass concerts and festivals around the country.

You've probably noticed that I've mentioned nothing about purchasing a bluegrass banjo to get you started. Prices and models vary quite a bit. Gibson Mastertone banjos, the holy grail of bluegrass banjos, are expensive and worth it. But few people are willing to ante up $2,000+ for an instrument they know nothing about. So check out the alternatives, talk to some other banjo players, and get educated about the instrument before you buy one. Too cheap is almost always bad. You'll probably have to spend at least $500-$1000 for something decent to play. Look around and make your best deal.

Send me questions if you feel the need. I've been playing and teaching banjo now for well over thirty years, so if I don't have an answer I can point you toward someone who does.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by Rob Buford; 03/22/17 04:54 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Rob,

This is a really nicely written article.

I have the Wernick book. And a (cheap) Hohner 5-string from 40 years ago - been in the closet most of that time.

That is one gorgeous banjo you've got! How about a banjo song in the Showcase - would love to hear you play...

fj

C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Great explanation. Very informative and enlightening. I'll have to stick with BIAB banjos for the time being. I can't even get them to always play right....

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Rob,

This is a really nicely written article.

I have the Wernick book. And a (cheap) Hohner 5-string from 40 years ago - been in the closet most of that time.

That is one gorgeous banjo you've got! How about a banjo song in the Showcase - would love to hear you play...

fj

Hey Floyd... grin

Glad you liked the article. That Wernick book has been around for decades and is the one I began with all those years ago. Never thought I'd actually get to meet Pete Wernick as I was living in Baton Rouge and he was way up in Colorado at the time. Later, when I was playing the Lazy B Western Dinner Theater gig up in Estes Park CO, after I moved to Colorado, Pete came to hear us and to visit with our guitarist/fiddler, Mike Scap. Mike had been a member of Pete's band Hot Rize. It was pretty intimidating to have "Dr. Banjo" watching you play. Luckily I didn't blow it.

The banjo in that pic was made for me by a luthier friend of mine from Baton Rouge. It's a Mastertone copy with a flathead top-tension pot assembly, gold plating, a brain-twisting abalone vine in the neck. Neck and resonator were birdseye maple. I say "were" because the banjo was literally destroyed by water damage in a house fire at the same luthier who built it. The pot assembly and other non-wood parts survived and are currently being used to create a new instrument.

My current banjos are an Earl Scruggs Mastertone (signed copy, circa 1999), and my "stage and studio banjo," a Washburn B16 with a pickup installed for gigs and recording.

I'll look around and see if I can find a BIAB song with me playing. For now here's a YouTube link of me playing banjo with Mike Scap at the Lazy B Ranch gig. The banjo in the video is one I built; a top-tension, Mastertone copy in walnut with a real calfskin head. Fun stuff.

The Duel (featuring Mike Scap)

Thanks,
Rob

Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Great explanation. Very informative and enlightening. I'll have to stick with BIAB banjos for the time being. I can't even get them to always play right....

Charlie

Hi Charlie...

I hate to admit it, but I use Real Tracks for songs with banjo more and more these days. They feature pro players and have some of the best playing around. My excuse is that it's easier than hooking up a banjo and trying to come up with something better than Real Tracks. Except for intros and endings, I usually just let the boys at BIAB do the banjo picking.

Thanks,
Rob

Veteran
Veteran
Rob,

Man! That is some pickin'!!! From both of you... thanks for posting that. I hope more people come here and listen/watch... a very entertaining video.

Must have been heartbreaking to lose that banjo - hope the new one turns out even better...

fj

C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Excellent fun, and entertaining video. Superb playing from the band and the jokes were pretty good too.

"I hate to admit it, but I use Real Tracks for songs with banjo more and more these days. They feature pro players and have some of the best playing around. My excuse is that it's easier than hooking up a banjo and trying to come up with something better than Real Tracks. Except for intros and endings, I usually just let the boys at BIAB do the banjo picking."

After watching your video, I can see you hold your own with more than just the intros and endings. But you sound a bit like me, as time goes by, I find myself choosing easier more and more.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Excellent fun, and entertaining video. Superb playing from the band and the jokes were pretty good too.

After watching your video, I can see you hold your own with more than just the intros and endings. But you sound a bit like me, as time goes by, I find myself choosing easier more and more.

Charlie

I know it's my own lazy fault but BIAB is killing my banjo skills. Darn those much-better-than-I'll-ever-be RealTracks banjo players. grin

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Good article Bob.. and a great follow-up demo!

I've been planning to learn banjo for years, with most of that time spent planning and hardly any time spent practicing.

It was a much more crucial goal before there were real tracks, because I figured any original song with a banjo part would have to be played by me... which isn't true anymore.

But here in NC there is a lot of interest in Bluegrass, and now that I'm retired I might eventually revisit that goal. Thanks for the reminder!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,617
Posts735,154
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182