Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
OP Offline
B
There's lots of synths listed under Synthesizer / SoundCard and the Coyote is working fine for now.

I have a Yamaha Motif Rack XS and it is not listed.

I have it connected over my Edirol UA-25EX interface, MIDI to the synth and audio back over the interface's audio inputs.

The UA-25EX is selected as the MIDI Input and Output Driver.

I see there's a lot of .DK files. Are these the patch maps referred to in the manual? I assume what's required is one of these.

Will PG Music update the list of synths? The Motif Rack XS is fairly old now. I have the 2017 Audiophile edition of BiaB. I feel it should have included it.

The manual implies I should be able to make my own. Not sure I'm at that level yet.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
This should help with the file extensions:

http://www.pgmusic.com/support_miscellaneous.htm

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
I had a Yamaha Motif XS briefly (after my Roland Fantom XR was hit by lightning) but I sadly must report I never got it going with BIAB. This, despite knowing how to write patch maps. I'm not saying it won't work, just that I couldn't make it work.

If you write (or modify) your own patch map, be aware that the numbering system for Yamaha starts a count of one different from Roland.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
EDIT

SORRY again, just re-read it's obvious you are only USING 5-pin MIDI so ignore my ignorant remarks below about USB
but then the opposite is true make sure that the unit internally is set to MIDI I/O and NOT USB I/O. Also make sure you UNCHECK the "Use VSTi/DXi Synth" in the "options -> MIDI/Audio drivers" window

do you have any other external MIDI gear that you KNOW WORKS with your Edirol UA-25EX?

EDIT

You have no issue with any other PC MIDI programs that can send MIDI notes (aka song data) to the XS rack unit correct?

While not the RACK version I had a Motif XS 7 for years (before trading it "up" for the Montage 7 last year) and unlike Matt I had no issues using it with BIAB or any MIDI capable program. FWIW I cannot believe that the basic 5-PIN MIDI or USB MIDI I/O internal circuit, on board chips, or logic flow and related circuits would be any different between XS keyboards and XS racks units (why would Yamaha re-design but that's just opinion and immaterial)

BTW- SORRY MATT I missed you having issues with the rack and I would haev jumped in

However, in my case, I was generally NOT using the USB connection (expect for patch editing, etc.) I use 5-pin MIDI on all my gear since all my gear is interconnected and RUN (at least for sound generation purposes - not editing purposes) via multiple MIDI patch bays then to my PC over my 4x4 MIDI USB interface.

However even using USB, assuming you are using the current Yamaha MIDI driver (not the WINDOWS default driver) should NOT be an issue, as long as you use the RIGHT port for MIDI I/O? It should be the "Yamaha" PORT 1 (probably called "Motif-1" if I remember correctly unfortunately mine now says "MONTAGE-1" when in use. [Port 2 is is used to control of DAW - which for the rack unit would be N/A and PORT 3 is thru port - what comes there over USB goes out the 5-pin MIDI out connection

If you ARE using USB and not 5-pin MIDI you did remember to set the XS Rack to USB I/O and not MIDI I/O?

Hope you get it going - the GM set alone is worth the effort.

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 07/16/17 04:05 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks. I knew I could have used just the MIDI connection but I was trying to get it working via USB. Doesn't matter now...

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BarryJames
Will PG Music update the list of synths? The Motif Rack XS is fairly old now. I have the 2017 Audiophile edition of BiaB. I feel it should have included it.

Barry, you're making an incorrect assumption, PG has nothing to do with it. It's users who create the patch maps, they email them to PG and they will include it. It's appears you're the first one to ask for it so it's up to you...

Something to try is Cakewalk has .ins files for lots of gear. If you can find one of those for your synth, Biab can convert it to a patch map.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Go to the Link Mario provided, and remove the 'Rack' part when you search ..
The Yamaha Motif patch map that will likely work is here -
http://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/support/patchmaps/yamaha_motif_xs.zip

JazzMammal is correct in that many of these are User files created for specific synths, that 'Forum/software Users' have donated to help others. So usual download cautions apply, but they have never caused an issue here ..

As a side note, I don't think including every patch map for every synth in the basic install is a good idea; it would likely cause performance issues (slower to load, etc).
The way it is handled now is quite nice, IMHO.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
B
OP Offline
B
Many thanks, I now understand they are just patch maps.

@Jazzmammal: If I get one together, I will certainly offer it to PGMusic for sharing with others.

@Larry: Like nearly all of the synths listed, the Motif Rack XS has no USB connector at all.

@rharv: I think most of the synths from the majors are there already!

I'll look up the Motif XS (non-rack) and give it a go.

Thank you very much for all the help!

Veteran
Veteran
Don't write it - I have one. Send me your email address. I sent you a PM.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BarryJames

@Larry: Like nearly all of the synths listed, the Motif Rack XS has no USB connector at all.

Duh??? Your XS rack has no USB to HOST connector on the back? Or do you mean you never connect it via USB? Because the XS has USB connectivity

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/motif-rack_xs/specs.html#product-tabs

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/motif-rack_xs/gallery.html#product-tabs

even the older Motif ES rack has USB connectivity (as did my ES7)

In any case, I hope you get it working with ALL your SW
Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
Bump.

Barry - see my post above and look in your personal messages.

Last edited by Matt Finley; 07/19/17 11:19 AM. Reason: Typo

B
OP Offline
B
Hi Matt,
I saw a yellow envelope which must have been your PM.

It is no longer visible and I cannot find a way of seeing old PMs.

I wonder if you could send on again and I will respond immediately.

Sorry, new at this.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Barry, presuming it hasn't been deleted, you will find it here:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2017-08-21_07-34-35.jpg (55.01 KB, 98 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
I put it temporarily on my website:

http://mattfinley.com/promos/YamahaMotifRackXS.pat

Do a Save File to put this in your /BB folder. Then you have to select it and Update in the Patch Change dialog.

Veteran
Veteran
I've used a Yamaha Motif Rack XS for many years with both BIAB and RB using a 5 pin midi cable and a midi patch bay. The patch map you are looking for is posted here under Yamaha: http://www.pgmusic.com/support_miscellaneous.htm

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
B
OP Offline
B
@matt: Thank you very much!

@MountainSide: Unless I'm not looking right, I don't see it.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
IIRC the Motif synths don't have a very good GM bank. It's close, but you will always have to map patches from the factory banks to get your GM files to sound right.

I never wanted to spend that much time setting up a MIDI file, so I bought a Yamaha XG expansion card for it, and it produces excellent sounds through its GM/XG synth.

Dave Burns
Lowell, MA
J
J
Hi Matt ,
Just came across this thread today.
Could you kindly share YamahaMotifRackXS.pat one again.

THanks.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jazi
Hi Matt ,
Just came across this thread today.
Could you kindly share YamahaMotifRackXS.pat one again.

THanks.
I no longer have it; it's been ten years. But there are two choices on the PG Music site, here: https://www.pgmusic.com/support_miscellaneous.htm

Veteran
Veteran
Jazi,

You can do a Ctrl+F webpage search using Motif as the search term on +++ THIS +++ PG Music patch map support page.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,573
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199