Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
RealBand
WendyM Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Ok, Im really trying RB for the first time having previously done everything in BB and exported wavs to my DAW. Ive got a few RB newby questions and heres my first one.
Q - should it take ages (like 3 minutes) from selecting the sgu via 'open' to it actually playing something? In BB it takes about 30 secs-from scratch. Admitted its not the fastest pc ggekbench 5000 score but why so different?
WendyM

BiaB2022PLUS,927. every extras pack I can find ;-),Sonar7XL,Win 10
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Wendy,

A very reasonable question.

When RealBand first opens a BiaB file, it has to analyze and layout the tracks. This takes some time.

However, after this is done, if you save the song in RealBand native format (a .SEQ file), next time just open that SEQ file and it will load extremely quickly.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Unlike BIAB, RealBand has to fully generate ALL the tracks before you can start playback. BIAB has a means whereby it will start to generate enough of a track to go ahead and start playback while continuing to generate the tracks in the background. RealBand doesn't do that. It needs everything generated before playback starts.

And then, once generated it plays back just fine. As Trevor said, you should go ahead and save the file as a .SEQ format, otherwise and track specific changes you make won't get saved properly.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
WendyM Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks Trevor and John. I didnt know that it was another format-I thought the sgu was IT!
The second thing Im trying to do and getting very frustrated(that shouod never be allowed!) is this-In my SGU,(if you can imagine) that is now in RB there is one track-a bolero background guitar-that plays some great phrases but is uber-repetitive. I believe that RB will let me take any bit of a track and re-gen it. Ive tried that by highlighting a bit and sure it does but that takes a while too. Can I speed that up? Am I right there is a way to multi re-gen bits and sort of keep them somewher so I can compile what will be a middle-of-song guitar solo?
If I dont like a re-gen or re-gens can I go back one step or even to where I was to begin with?
Again Ive read somewhere that the "bits" are IN the BB folder somwehere and I can get to them and listen to ALL the phrases. How do I do that please?
Is there perchance a tute that a girly newbie can follow. LMAO!
WendyM

BiaB2022PLUS,927. every extras pack I can find ;-),Sonar7XL,Win 10
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Wendym

CTRL+Z is one of my best friends. It's the shortcut key for 'Undo'. When I regenerate, or generally do something I don't like, I simply hit CTRL+Z and it takes me back to what I had before.

There are tutorials/information at the below links. It's also worth looking through the "New Features" videos for the different years, too.

http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.realband.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p1mI1fsPm8

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
R
rms Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
R
Hi Wendy ...... there is a bug in the latest version of RB.
The previous version of RB was quick at loading and generating .MGU and .SGU BIAB songs ....now it takes forever.

I am waiting for the next update to BIAB and RB ... not holding my breath though !

I think this problem was addressed earlier this year or late last year .... but it has now come back to haunt us.

Erol

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Erol,

I wasn't aware of that. I'm presently running build 4 and after reading your comments, I find myself wondering if maybe this might be quicker than build 7.

I have a fast computer and it takes a standard BIAB song (MGU file) about 30 seconds to load and build the tracks with my PC.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Regarding the loading times.

Still faster then waiting for musicians to show up at the studio. I haven't timed it, but I think under a minute to render the project ready to play. Computer processing power and speed certainly does make a huge difference in this area.

I haven't used the "regen" to redo a section of the RT.

I simply render the track using the same RT multiple times. 3, to 5 times is generally enough. I load them into my DAW stacked together and use envelopes for volume control.

I did this on my song The Best Christmas with the piano fills (3 tracks) and the guitar solo (5 tracks). It took some time to set up the envelopes but the end result was worth the time spent.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,560
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200