Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
B
Biglad Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Dear All .
this BIAB is pure magic for me but I was wondering about the likes of Fj,Tom Adams Janice and Bud RnM ,How about if possible a video tutorial of how you use biab to write and produce.
Im sure if possible other members would be enthralled to see your creative flow.
Its just an idea but I thought id put it out there
cheers Brad

Os Windows Biab 2018. studio one pro 3 ozone 8 focusrite 214 se electronics Gemini mic
Veteran
Veteran
Simple....

I write in BB. I use it like a scratch pad. Get the idea, grab my guitar, find a style in BB that works, and start working on the song.
Get everything like I want it. Right structure, key, tempo, groove..... save the file.

Open Real band and use it to render the tracks from the BB project to audio/waves and add the other instruments that I want in the song that are not indigenous to the style chosen in BB. For example, a hard rock style, which I often use for country, doesn't have fiddle or steel guitar but RB lets me render those kinds of instrument files.

Export the files to Sonar and mix.

I think PG was working on a project kinda like this... video of how we work, but IIRC, it got shelved. I don't like doing the video thing on this because each one of the steps could easily be 5 to 10 minutes of detailed instructional information and even after 2 hrs, there would be things forgotten and not said that make a huge difference.

I'm sure someone will provide you the video of what they or someone else has done.

If you have questions about something you hear in one of our songs and want details, just ask.

Then of course, you could look at this: http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm PG has a ton of video tutorials up on how to do things. My process uses the stuff in those videos as I'm sure everyone else's does too.

User to user videos>>> http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.user.htm

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 08/21/17 10:52 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
I learned a lot looking at the YouTube videos of forum member +++ dfizzbom +++. While published in 2014 the videos give a pretty good overview of the steps taken to create a song from start to finish. The video features Band-in-a-Box, RealBand and the DAW Reaper.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
L
Expert
Expert
L
Thanks for the link Jim. I'll check them out today.:-)

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
B
Biglad Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Thank you everyone for your input.its really appreciated

Os Windows Biab 2018. studio one pro 3 ozone 8 focusrite 214 se electronics Gemini mic
Veteran
Veteran
My top production tip to you is the master the "dots." Putting a dot (period) after the chord and before the letter corresponding to the channel/instrument allows you to solo one instrument or several, or gradually have the whole band kick in.

G.p means you will hear the G chord only played by whatever instrument is in the piano slot. G.pd means you will hear whatever is in the piano slot and drums. It only works on the the top five channels though, not melodist and below. That is reserved for midi, although though you can add real tracks to these slots, they just won't yield to the trick described above--at least not the last time I checked.

(When you open this BIAB file up in Real Band, RB preserves this "mix." Magical.)

Study these channels, look at these dots and listen to the song below and you will see what I mean. The "mystery guitar" at the first chorus was added by me. The right acoustic is me as well at the beginning of the song. I also added various other parts self-played as the song got kicking.

Good luck.

https://soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel/im-alive

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
dots.jpg (42.62 KB, 128 downloads)
Channels.jpg (136.68 KB, 139 downloads)
L
Expert
Expert
L
Thanks David, I need to investigate this a bit further. I do use it from time to time, but not like a master chef...

BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Veteran
Veteran
This is a great tip David. I was not aware of using the instrument letters beyond the "dot". This opens a whole new avenue for creation. Thanks!

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Veteran
Veteran
Another way to add shots, holds, rests, etc. is to use the Alt-F5 key to bring up the chord options menu for the particular bar.

Veteran
Veteran
Jeff, read in the Help, Index about ‘Pushes, Shots and Holds’. Great info.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
The key to understanding the dots, however, is understanding the legacy track names. Currently (and hopefully it will be fixed in the future), the instruments you include/exclude from shots, rests, and holds must be the legacy track names.

From left to right across the top you'll see:

Master - this is not a track name, per se
Bass - indicated by a "b", even if the instrument is something else
Piano - indicated by a "p", even if the instrument is something else (such as organ or rhodes or whatever)
Drums - indicated by a "d", even if the instrument is showing as "TrapSet" or "Bongos"
Guitar - indicated by a "g", even if the instrument showing is "acoustic" or "electric"
Strings - indicated by a "s", even if the instrument showing is "violin" or "orchestra"

In other words, don't use the initial letter of the instrument (otherwise, BIAB would get confused if for example you had two "Guitars", but use the legacy track name to indicated which instruments to exclude from a rest or a shot or a hold.

So, for example, if you have entered:

Cm7...pg

the dots should be read as "Play a Cm7 chord and hold all instruments except the instrument on the piano track and the instrument on the guitar track.

Gsus.d

should be read as "Play a Gsus chord and rest all instruments except the instruments on the drum track. Of course, effectively, this means that a Gsus won't be heard at all, because only the drums are playing (although a live soloist might be playing over the Gsus chord along to the BIAB arrangement, so you keep the chord in for notation purposes).

Bbdim7..bd

should be read as "Play a Bbdim7 chord as a shot (a hit) for all instruments except the instrument on the Bass track and the instrument on the Drum track. That means the instruments on the piano, guitar, and strings track will play the shot, but the bass and drums will play whatever riffs they would have played were the dots not there.

Additionally, you can't use the "dots" for the melody or soloist track, on the five auto-generated tracks.

There are long posts about needing to rename the legacy track names and I won't get into that here, but hopefully this helps folks use this powerful feature of BIAB.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Good point John, that's the very first mistake I made when I just tried this. I put in the first letter of the instruments I put in not the "legacy" names. Very confusing, especially when I change the track to a completely different instrument and I forgot what the original track assignment was!

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Veteran
Veteran
Jeff,

If it helps, I always run BIAB with the old names. This option is available on the first screen when one opens "Prefs". It's called "Auto generate track labels".

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Hey John,

Thanks for helping to clarify this. I thought I had it covered in my screen shots where I say "look at these channels."

They are, in order from top down:

B
P
D
G
S

No matter what you HAVE in those slots that is what you type in after the dot if you want to solo the instrument in that slot. That is easiest for me.

Thank you for explaining it in yet another way though.

Veteran
Veteran
And to make the mud even clearer, you don't actually have to type the letters in any particular order. So as long as you are using those letters, you can type them in any order and BIAB will re-sort them properly when you hit enter.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
L
Expert
Expert
L
I had a play around with this and was very impressed. Great when the drums play and other instruments hold or just guitars come in or a bass solo. Also nice for drum fills. All in all very powerful. The pushes are also neat.

Last edited by lambada; 08/27/17 04:56 AM.

BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,554
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199