Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#427638 08/26/17 04:08 AM
RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi all, Having a hard time with Fadeouts. I see that there's an audio effect for it, but its speed doesn't look controllable, and it's too fast- plus it's destructive, right? Alters the wave permanently. I'd rather not do a manual master fade during mixdown, since I didn't leave myself enough of a tail. Sooo, I'm trying to use nodes. I keep getting crashes while dragging them, not always, but too often. And, Going +1 to -64 is also too fast of a drop-off. I like the effect I'm getting with a curve of multiple nodes at -16, -24, -32, -40 in between, but that's a lot of work and it looks like I need to repeat it for every track. Is there any easier way? As I'm not ready to try mixdown for the first time yet and am just preparing for it, I can automate the master fade, right? Again, not sure I could get a smooth enough result by hand. Thanks all!

Best, Warren

Warren A. Keller- Woodwindist/Producer
Spontaneous Groovin' Combustion
Tune 9 Music- SESAC
Warren Keller #427740 08/26/17 03:46 PM
RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
You can use nodes to do a long fade out. Just create two nodes where you want the fade out to begin and as you lower the second node from +1 to -64, slide it toward the end of the song. You can also use the Master Fader on the Mixer Screen.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Warren Keller #427903 08/28/17 03:29 AM
RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks, Yes I know Charlie, but it's too rapid a dropoff. As I said, I created a curve to make it sound more natural. That got unmanageable, 'cause you'd have to do this for every track- no? And right, I'm aware of the manual fade as I mentioned, but wanted to avoid it as it's a tricky fade. Thanks!

Last edited by Warren Keller; 08/30/17 05:17 PM.

Best, Warren

Tune 9 Music- SESAC
Warren Keller #428362 08/31/17 05:02 PM
RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I think something like Audacity is the ticket for this, and other mastering tasks. Thanks guys!

Best, Warren

Tune 9 Music- SESAC
Warren Keller #428419 09/01/17 08:07 AM
RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Warren Keller
I think something like Audacity is the ticket for this, and other mastering tasks. Thanks guys!

Audacity will work just fine for fadeouts and trimming/cleaning up the intros and outros and is a tool I use sometimes as well. However, for the benefit of others who may also be having issues, I don't want to leave this discussion with the impression that RB cannot make a clean fade out or is not up to the task of mastering a track as efficiently as Audacity or any other DAW. Let me explain a bit more for clarification. My comments are not intended to influence your personal workflow or indicate your workflow to be in some manner wrong. I'm giving additional information that others may find useful.

First, a node fade out from the tracks screen can be any length you desire. It can be a straight line or as you mentioned, made to curve. It can be a slow fade or a rapid fade. How the fade out is created determines the length of the fade. You do have to manually create the fade for each track from this screen as far as I Know.

You can fade all of the tracks uniformly from the Mixer Screen by using the Record ONLY Mixer Moves button. For instance, if you have a 32 bar song and wish to fade the song starting at bar 24 do the following.

Set your cursor at Bar 24.

Click on the Record ONLY Mixer Moves button.

There will be a 4 bar count in and recording will begin.

With your mouse, complete your fade using the Master Fader located in the center window.

Stop the recording and if you're satisfied with your fader movements, save the recording.

Reset the Master Fader back to full scale.

Place your cursor at a point prior to Bar 24 and hit the Play Button to review the fade out.

Review the fade out. Notice, rather than the Master Fader moving downward, all the track faders individually and uniformly complete the fade out sequence.

If you are not satisfied with the fade, hit the delete button to remove all recorded fader movements and repeat the process. Be aware this removes all of the saved Mixer recorded sequences and everything has to be done over.

Regarding Trimming tracks and Mastering, RealBand can cut/paste and has very good stock compressors, eq, and limiters to clean up and Master your song without having to export the song to Audacity or another DAW.

With practice and becoming familiar with the program, most users will likely find these tasks are easier and faster to do from within RB rather than moving to another DAW or Audacity. RealBand is not limited to only the stock plug ins and there are many high quality plug ins available that work with RealBand. RealBand also works much better than Audacity with MIDI.

Charlie

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (150.02 KB, 155 downloads)
Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 09/01/17 09:23 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Charlie Fogle #428867 09/05/17 11:47 AM
RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for this Charlie.

Best, Warren

Tune 9 Music- SESAC
Warren Keller #428872 09/05/17 01:00 PM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Another way, which I started with way back when, was to make a copy of the song (to preserve existing) and hard write fades using the Edit-Gain Change plugin.
You can try it, undo, try it again, add, undo again, etc.

You can also highlight a given section of multiple tracks and fade from 100% to 80% .. then highlight the rest of the ending and fade from the pre-mentioned 80 down to zero .. or any multiple combinations of fades, which can create a an implied curve.

Just another way to do it (old school) .. lots of options.

Many times I'd get the mix done, render to stereo wav then work on fades (even if still in RB with a wav file).

Those hard write edits mentioned above are un-doable until you reach your limit or save the file.. so you can undo and try various fades quickly.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Warren Keller #428873 09/05/17 01:18 PM
RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You can get Reaper Download it is free to try n try, it is very smooth and responsive and you won't get crashes like RB.

The best way to use RB is like this, so you are just using it to generate the tracks you need and not putting any other load on it:
ReWire RealBand/PT

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Rea_fade.gif (677.04 KB, 134 downloads)
Pipeline #428930 09/06/17 03:26 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
You can get Reaper Download it is free to try n try, it is very smooth and responsive and you won't get crashes like RB.

Sonar and I think most other DAWs have a similar approach to fade ins and outs as Reaper's technique. In Sonar I fade in and out each individual instruments where I want, bounce the entire song to one stereo wav, then fade out the ending. I find this workflow works best for me but YMMV.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Warren Keller #428940 09/06/17 04:42 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Pipeline, your comments and examples are very good but what crashes? I use RB for lots of things and I don't get crashes. Some folks write about crashes all the time and I have no idea what they're talking about except to say it's probably user error.

As far as the OP's question about fade outs I've been using the Gain Change Fade Out option for years. All you do is highlight the part of the track you want to fade, right click and select Audio Effects then at the bottom of the menu list it says Fade Out. Click on that and the window opens giving you all the different options for the fade. That's pretty basic and simple dontcha think?

Why would you need another DAW for this? A couple of mouse clicks and you're there and I don't get crashes. If you're getting crashes from using this Fade Out utility then post it as a bug so we all can test it.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
jazzmammal #428969 09/06/17 10:03 AM
RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Quote:
..what crashes? I use RB for lots of things and I don't get crashes. Some folks write about crashes all the time and I have no idea what they're talking about except to say it's probably user error.

It would definitely be user error, as I found if I hold my tongue the wrong way when I click something I get a crash.

Is the Audio Effects.. > Fade Out destructive or non destructive ?
are the Volume Nodes destructive or non destructive ?

Old timers seem to plod along with RealBand, don't like change and can't vision anything better, though the rest of the digital audio market is going ahead in leaps and bounds, new ideas and honest criticism have always been jumped on in the forum for as long as I can remember, so I would say that's why RB is still where it is.
I saw back in the forum where someone suggested a solo button for each track and was jumped on.
Rather than the old users taking constructive criticism the new users are got rid of never to return.

If users say there is nothing wrong with RB, it is a modern DAW, they are living way in the past and out of touch.

jazzmammal #428973 09/06/17 10:23 AM
RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
If you want to see how things should work go to the RapidComposer v3 Beta Feedback And Discussion (Bugs, Features, Suggestions) forum and watch how it works, it just flows, bugs are reported and fixed, new features are suggested and implemented overnight, not ten years down the track.
The Win & Mac versions are the same and released at the same time with Cross-Platform app development.

I said this years back programming language upgrade delphi to c++ and now Apple have announced Mac OS X will only run 64bit apps in 2018.

Pipeline #429018 09/06/17 06:13 PM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
If users say there is nothing wrong with RB, it is a modern DAW, they are living way in the past and out of touch.

Ok, so now you're joining the "jumping to conclusions without the facts" gang? Isn't there enough of that in DC right now? Did I say RB is a modern DAW and there's nothing wrong with it? No and No.

I responded to one EXACT point and that was your comment about crashes in a thread asking about fade outs. That's it.

And I'll ask you again, if you've had crashes using RB to do a fade out then report it as a bug and we'll all have a look. As a matter of fact if you've had consistent reproducible crashes using ANY function in RB report it. All I can say is I haven't and I'll work it pretty hard but I'm not continually trying to kludge some kind of rewire thing it was not designed for and is not in the documentation. To be fair, I find your examples of that sort of thing very interesting and encourage you to keep it up but then don't post complaints about crashes. Run RB completely clean without any of that and then see about crashes.

You're also absolutely correct about old folks and old thinking. All I can say to that is have you read most of the posts in these forums around here? Not all but a quite a few. Lots of retirees who know very little about this stuff just trying to have a little fun. Most have absolutely zero clue about what you're talking about. They think the Coyote Wavetable sounds great and are trying to figure out where "One" is ya know? Rewire sounds like you're repairing a fence. And to be clear, that's perfectly OK with me, I'm not trying to preach to them or anything like that and why are they here? Because Biab is accessable, it doesn't look too complicated and neither does Real Band.

You've said it yourself and I completely agree, if you need and want the higher end DAW functions then generate whatever tracks you need in RB and export them to your DAW of choice.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
jazzmammal #429023 09/06/17 08:50 PM
RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
"Why would you need another DAW for this?" that's a destructive audio method.
I have spent years since it's release with RB using it every day and getting crashes after crashes not matter what machine or audio device.
If you have not had any crashes and so many others have it doesn't mean it's a user error.
I have spent years trying to get things fixed and added.
If you suggest new things here you get attacked from other users saying "why would you need that, there is no problem with how it is", "You can't do that" etc......
I have had years n years of that.
It seems to be a culture here, look at it all in programming language upgrade delphi to c++.
I now find myself worn out and depleted these days from all of this ^*^%$#.
I will say again I think that is why RB is still where it is.

But, hey, I still go out of my way to help users.

In the RapidComposer forum you get 0 of that ^*^%$#, 0, and I don't get stressed and worn out from it, it's a pleasure laugh

Just hope at the end of the this year there is a quantum leap bringing things up to a higher level !

Warren Keller #429031 09/07/17 01:53 AM
RealBand
Expert
Expert
Pipeline

Just like to say your posts and service are greatly appreciated on this forum.

I for one search the forum constantly before I post hoping my query has been discussed before.

And you are always active and very informative, in your description, and screens, so thank you for all you've helped including me.

Big time.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Pipeline #429045 09/07/17 05:50 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I have spent years since it's release with RB using it every day and getting crashes after crashes not matter what machine or audio device.

Pipeline, please. You are very helpful and it is appreciated just try to stay on point, ok?

I'm a beta tester. What crashes?

You know the drill.

Bob

Warren Keller #435654 10/28/17 05:38 AM
RealBand
Del Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have a problem using the gain nodes in Realband 2017 ver 7 also. The gain nodes work properly when listening to the song in realband but have no effect on the rendered song.

I have submitted this problem to the help desk several months ago and they confirmed it as a bug but I have not heard anything back from them. If I render the same song multiple times, occasionally I will get a wave file with the desired fade in/out effects that I am trying for. It is very frustrating to say the least. I have gone back to using the old school technique that rharv mentioned above.

Does anyone else have this problem of the gain nodes not working?

Del
Warren Keller #435742 10/28/17 04:21 PM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Del,

Have you installed build 8 to see if the problem persists with the update?

http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #435779 10/29/17 07:06 AM
RealBand
Del Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
Noel, thank you for your reply.

I installed build 8 this morning and gave it a try with a new .seq file. This time I'm using _GRVYPNO - Groovy Piano Pop style and testing the gain nodes on the real tracks only.

I found the BB Real Strings 686 - Organ track doesn't care what level the gain node is set. I have it set to -64 db and still hear the organ unless the channel is muted. I can move the volume slider on the track and hear the change but the gain node has zero effect even when playing the song within Realband.

When I render the song, the gain node seems to work for the piano track and the BB Real Bass track.

This problem really has me stumped.

Del
Warren Keller #435855 10/30/17 12:01 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Del,

Thanks for the extra information.

I tried both the Gain and the Volume nodes on the organ track in _GRVYPNO and the result was the same as you. Just like you said, the nodes work fine within the program but they do not translate to the render. I've tried them with builds 8, 7 and 4 and the behaviour is identical.

From what you say, Support know about this. Which is good. Sooner or later there will be a fix.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,500
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195