Go To
#428403 09/01/17 05:19 AM
Beginners Forum
C
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
I'm sorry for this question but i'm new in the forum. What is the difference between VST and Soundfonts?

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
A Virtual Studio Technology (VST) is a software interface that integrates software audio synthesizer and effect plugins with audio editors and recording systems. VST and similar technologies use digital signal processing to simulate traditional recording studio hardware in software. Virtual Studio Technology (VST) is a software interface that integrates software audio synthesizer and effect plugins with audio editors and recording systems. VST and similar technologies use digital signal processing to simulate traditional recording studio hardware in software.

Whereas a VST is generally an effect (think reverb, sound compression, echo, pitch tuning, equalizing, sound shaping, etc), there is also a Virtual Studio Technology Instrument (VSTi) which uses digital signal processing to simulate a traditional hardware sound source (such as what you get from a dedicated sound module or arranger keyboard). The VSTi then would have a library of sound files that it can play back.

A soundfont is a relatively old technology now that were originally used to play sounds on a Creative Soundblaster sound card. Soundfonts can be played from within numerous VSTi's. Soundfonts are the just another library of sound files that you can play back that adhere to the soundfont file format specification.

So a Soundfont VST(i) would be the player and the soundfont would be the sounds that are played.

The Sofrzando VSTi that ships with BIAB 2017 is capable of playing soundfont files, however, I've found that it doesn't handle long sustains very well. So you my want to look a something like Kenneth Rundt's Synthfont VSTi to playback soundfonts. You can download a lot of soundfonts from the web; however, they are getting more difficult to find these days. I've got about 20GB of soundfonts on my hard drive that I've obtained over the past 20 years or so. Some are good, most are really bad.

Hope that helps.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I stopped using sound fonts a long time ago because the sample libraries were just sooooo much better.

I use VST's exclusively now and mostly with samples.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
C
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Hi guitarhacker,

I do not know how to use the sample libraries. Where can I find some help to start using and try them with BIAB?

can I use them with sforzando?
what extension have the samples libraries? wav?

sorry I'm newbie :-)

Last edited by cubalibre; 09/04/17 01:55 PM.
Beginners Forum
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: cubalibre
...can I use them with sforzando?

Yes you can use them with Sforzando VSTi, just google free SFZ.
They are usually wav.
SF2 is the old SoundFont format, the GM ones have a library of instruments within them.
The single instrument SF2 format can't have articulations in the instrument like a keyswitch for slide, vibrato, bend, HO, PO etc, but the SFZ can.

There are lots of single SFZ instruments here UserTracks (and other add-ons)
as well as ones with a large instrument library like Virtual Playing Orchestra & No Budget Band - Guitar - Bass - Organ - Synth - Orchestral

You can get Native Instruments Kontakt vsti/standalone they have sales around Black Friday, that comes with an instrument library and you can also buy 3rd party instruments for it.
Here's one company with good value instruments for Kontakt http://www.indiginus.com/

Beginners Forum
C
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Thanks you Pipeliine!!

How I could to give a wav file to Sforzando? Open? Drag and Drop?

I have another question If I want to have a symphonic orchestra track I have to use a multitimbral VST or there is a single sample file already ready with the orchestra ensemble?. I realize that perhaps some of my questions can also make laugh or smile but I never did a sound endinering course and so many of these things I'm just discovering them right now.

Last edited by cubalibre; 09/04/17 11:41 PM.
Beginners Forum
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You can use VSTSynthFont (1.096 / 2.096) - VST instrument
http://www.synthfont.com/Downloads.html
with any GM SF2 soundfont.

Here's a few:
http://www.synthfont.com/soundfonts.html
https://musescore.com/groups/young-composers-group/discuss/166635
https://musescore.org/en/node/163526
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1200140
https://musescore.org/en/node/94941

https://www.google.it/search?source=hp&q=i+migliori+GM+orchestral+soundfont

You can use http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth as a midi output device and load an GM SF2 into it.

Quote:
How I could to give a wav file to Sforzando? Open? Drag and Drop?

You drag the SFZ into Sforzando, it will use the wav files in the folder.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
SFZ_WAV_Files.jpg (61.69 KB, 122 downloads)
Last edited by Pipeline; 09/05/17 08:49 AM.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: cubalibre
Hi guitarhacker,

I do not know how to use the sample libraries. Where can I find some help to start using and try them with BIAB?

can I use them with sforzando?

sorry I'm newbie :-)

I stopped using SFZ when I stopped using fonts.

When you buy the sample libraries, you very often get the player. For example, Native Instruments is a superb place to get good quality sample libraries. They also sell the VST player and I think they may even have some free stuff on their site that you can download and use for free. Kontakt is one of the best VST's on the market. Lots of really fine samples from NI and a ton of third party stuff too.

People often look for fonts because they are cheap or free. I did. But the more you work with midi you will find that you often get what you pay for. The stuff like Kontakt (NI) isn't cheap but it's professional quality. The Kontakt player and it's associated sample libraries are considered professional quality for use in film and TV music production.

If you only have the money to buy one VST player..... Kontakt is my recommendation. You can often watch the recording website forums in their software sections. Folks are all the time telling about special deals, reduced prices, and freebies that only last for a few days. Grab those no-brainer deals. I got GPO, Miroslav, and EW for free or really cheap by doing that. Keep your eyes open and your credit card ready.

FREE STUFF ON NATIVE INSTRUMENTS SITE: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/free/

Enjoy!!!!

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 09/06/17 04:10 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with Herb. If you get one pro VSTi it should be Kontakt although I know others may suggest another VST.

I would get the free Kontakt Player now and if you like it you could wait for a sale. You can get Kontakt for about half price during sales. Note that all of the Kontakt Player's sounds will play in the full Kontakt so you will lose nothing if you upgrade.

Also, like Herb I've have picked other VSTis during sales. My motto is never to buy any music software unless it is on sale with the only exception being PGMusic software.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
One caveat...if you get the free Kontakt Player and then download some free sound libraries, read the fine print carefully, as a number of libraries actually require the full Kontakt product and won't run in the free player.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #428974 09/06/17 10:28 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
John, a very good point that I forgot to mention. This is also true for purchased Kontakt sounds.

Thanx for bringing it up.

Last edited by MarioD; 09/06/17 10:29 AM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
jford #429040 09/07/17 05:00 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jford
One caveat...if you get the free Kontakt Player and then download some free sound libraries, read the fine print carefully, as a number of libraries actually require the full Kontakt product and won't run in the free player.

Indeed... it's free and so are the sound libraries but yes, they do limit the sounds you can play. However, there are often a sufficient number that work to do quite a bit of playing around and writing.

I've said it before about the free demo's for melodyne and Ozone as well as NI.... be prepared to buy the full version since in most cases, you will love it and want the full working versions of those things.

www.herbhartley.com

Beginners Forum
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
The more I read, the more confused I get with soundfont, vst, players, plugins, I can't seem to put it all together in my head.
I have a library of MIDI files that I used to play on the Roland SD-35 hardware floppy disk midi player. I just want to be able to play those MIDI files from a laptop on the gig and not have them sound like crud.. What do I need?

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
line of least resistance - you need to install the TTS1. open the midi files in RealBand and then render them as mp3s. then transfer them to an ipod touch with a playlist for each song so that the ipod does not play all the mp3s sequentially.

the sound quality depends on the synth you are using - the TTS1 uses roland sounds so as mp3s they should sound similar to what your hardware player did.

second line of least resistance install the TTS1 and play your midis in RealBand.

but i'd sooner trust an ipod than a laptop playing live and you can buy a backup ipod on ebay for a few pounds/dollars

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,469
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195