Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
I've never worried much about timing in my digital audio equipment because I just make composer demos. If I need pro quality recordings, I go into a studio. However:

Recently I took a track (.WAV file) I made from BIAB into the studio, to use along with live recording. The BIAB tempo on that track was 122 bpm. Yet when the recording engineer loaded it into ProTools, we couldn't get the BIAB track to line up fully with a click track at 122 bpm. He then measured my track at 121.896. He used the Elastic Audio function of ProTools to align my track so we could proceed. So:

Why does this happen?

I've had other difficulties of tracks wandering slightly off time at the ends of songs, but never considered it to be caused by my equipment (see my signature). I just use 44.1 and either 16 or 24-bit recording, nothing so exotic like 98 or 192 where I might expect to run into problems.

If I used a word clock accessory, like this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SyncGen
would that prevent the problem?

Thanks for any advice!

ps Word clocks seem to come in all prices, with the basic one above priced at $100 but you can pay THOUSANDS! If you think I do need one and have recommendations, I'm listening.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Might have something to do with SMPTE time coding

Veteran
Veteran
Matt,

I'm almost 100% sure program timing ultimately is based on hardware frequency timers embedded in your computer motherboard. The timers are synced to a crystal.

The clocks you mentioned are frequently used to sync multiple pieces of hardware tied into a common music system or network. For instance if you had a computer running ProTools, automated outboard effects and sound modules as well as an automated mixing desk along with an automated light show you would want all to be synced together by a common clock.

I believe you use Sonar as well as PG Music products. I don't know if Sonar can follow an external clock but I'm reasonably sure PG Music products can't. However if Sonar can follow an external clock then render a wave file in BiaB or RealBand then import into Sonar. With Sonar referencing the computer clock does it see any drift? With Sonar referencing an external clock is there any drift?

Perhaps your computer is drifting because the power supply is weak, hotter than normal because a fan is clogged, air vent is blocked or something similar.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Interesting suggestion, thanks Bob. To my knowledge there is no time code in any file.

I did some checking of my equipment today (looking for time clock connections) and discovered both my Focusrite Scarlett audio interface and my Roland Integra-7 MIDI synth were set to MASTER.

Stupid on my part.

I’ll see if fixing this makes a difference. The Focusrite 18i20 provides an output of time code (but not input) so I chose that as the Master and changed the Roland to Slave. None of my other equipment has a way to specify master or slave, so I assume it coordinates time clock signals via SP/DIF. Still, I wish I understood this better.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Jim, thanks for this info. I’ll see what SONAR makes of it. I normally record BIAB files into Adobe Audition (cant render because I use a hardware MIDI synth).

Power supply runs cool and voltages check fine. But that’s a good thought.

I hope discovering my Settings error, described above, will help.

Veteran
Veteran
Matt,

I regularly load wav files from BIAB/RB into Reaper and the tempo is always a perfect match. I haven't come across anything similar to your experience.

Was the problem consistent with both Realtracks and wavs created from MIDI tracks?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Could it be something going on with Adobe Audition??

The reason I mention that is because for recording my guitar parts I always use Adobe Audition V1.5, a program I've had forever but continue to use because I've never found anything better, including newer versions of Audition, for recording/editing audio. So in audition I have the BIAB WAV file and then record my guitar parts to separate WAV files.

I then import the audio WAV files of my guitar parts into reaper where I do the final mixing with all the individual BIAB files. Sometimes, but not always, the WAV file I created with audition is not in sync with the other files in the reaper project and I need to shift it around.

Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Noel, I didn’t test that yet; it was just one file made from a RealTrack. Good to know you use BIAB files in a DAW and they are fine.

Dave, maybe. I also have Adobe Audition 1.5! I have version 3 also but still use 1.5, and that’s what I made my file with here. Along with BIAB, it’s my most-used audio program.

Thank you all. I’ll test a few of these ideas next time I go to the studio.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Are you using SPDIf as an input into the focusrite? If so, and you have it set as the master then it's almost certain to be the culprit as it does not have a clock line like AES/EBU does as an electrical signal based digital audio hardware format. The focusrite will respond as a slave to the samples coming in on SPDIF even if they are not exactly paced at the right sample rate which can and does happen. Run the SMPTE potential interaction to ground as well. SMPTE deals in frames and PG Products used to brag about SMPTE time code compatability vs other products way back in the day.

Veteran
Veteran
Matt,

Having the Focusrite set to master and Roland set to slave should help as both devices will be using the same timing clock. I think Rockstar_not is leading in the right direction with the sync code.

I did not find an option for SMPTE code but BiaB has a sync option at: "Options" > "Preferences ..." or "Ctrl + E" > "MIDI options" > "Output Sync/Start info" checkbox. The manual just states: Output Sync/Start info: Syncs Band-in-a-Box with an external sequencer.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Midi Sync.jpg (182.08 KB, 85 downloads)

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Jim, I didn’t realize BIAB had anything to set, thanks.
EDIT: my checkbox was on, and I think it always has been; might be the default.

Scott, yes, the connection from the Integra to the Focusrite is SP/DIF. Maybe since the (MIDI only) signal is from the Integra into the Focusrite I should reverse and make the Integra the master. But I thought clock signals went both ways, so to speak, over SP/DIF. And what about audio, which has nothing to do with the Integra? That connects to the Focusrite via USB from the computer.

I discovered I have a BNC connector on the Focusrite but it’s output only. None of my other equipment has a word clock connection, so at least I answered my own question that an external word clock device won’t help me - nowhere to plug it in.

Last edited by Matt Finley; 09/03/17 09:45 AM.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
SPDIF has no clock signal independent of the audio samples. If you have a device that outputs SPDIF digital audio going into a SPDIF input and set the receiving device as a slave in the ASIO control panel, the receiving device's internal clock will be ignored and the clock is interpreted from what is being received on the SPDIF input. I have an 18i8 and this was the only way I could use the SPDIF output from the Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro in my setup. I never checked if I had weird sample rate stuff like what you are describing but I did have issues with a pop in audio now and then that I could not trace down by looking at the audio waveforms like you can usually do. I assumed it was due to slaving the 18i8 to the SPDIF. Since selling the V-Amp I have not had the issue.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
One other note: SPDIF is not bidirectional. This is why you have input and output ports on the Focusrite. If you have good old analog audio outputs on the Roland and open inputs on the Focusrite, try that signal routing instead.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I add tracks to sessions recorded with drum machines but in the DAW they are never on the money.
Realband you can adjust to so many decimal points but not Biab.
If you have different tempos in a song you create a midi click track and drag that in the DAW first.

I generated a drum track in RB @121.896bpm (Top track)
and one in Biab @122bpm (Bottom track), then dragged them into Pro Tools & Reaper set to 122bpm.
See pics below.

Can you generate up a short 32bar drum track in Biab @122bpm and upload it.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
PT_WAV_Tempo-1920.jpg (204.49 KB, 63 downloads)
REA_WAV_Tempo-1920.jpg (122.23 KB, 62 downloads)
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Wow, good stuff guys, thank you. I’m digesting this.

I guess I have to decide whether I trust the clock on the Integra or the Focusrite more. If the Integra had a word clock input, I’d be all set but it doesn’t.

Scott, years ago I did experiments with my Roland Fantom XR connecting by analog versus SP/DIF and hands down, no comparison; the digital connection was much cleaner and ‘crisper’ sounding. I can try that test again.

Pipeline, your visual is very clear and much like what I experienced. I’m under a bunch of deadlines and won’t be in the studio again for 10 days. I have a lot to experiment with here before I try again.

Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Scott, I had lots of clicks and pops with earlier drivers for my various Focusrite Scarlett units (at the time, a 6i6 and a 8i8; now two 18i20s one 1st and one 2nd). The clicks especially were bothersome on the start of playback. I tried their beta drivers and that made things worse so I rolled back (lots of steps to follow to do so).

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Pipeline, your visual is very clear and much like what I experienced. I’m under a bunch of deadlines and won’t be in the studio again for 10 days. I have a lot to experiment with here before I try again.

When you drag a drum track from Biab to your DAW at the same tempo does it align with the beats, same as the second track the pics above.

Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
I have not done most of the suggestions made here. But I did learn something that I think has derailed me: in SONAR, when you IMPORT a MIDI track, it strips out the time code, but when you OPEN the MIDI file, it keeps it.?

Stuff like this makes things interesting.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I have not done most of the suggestions made here. But I did learn something that I think has derailed me: in SONAR, when you IMPORT a MIDI track, it strips out the time code, but when you OPEN the MIDI file, it keeps it.?

Stuff like this makes things interesting.

Yes, this is true. If you import a MIDI file it will strip the file of its time code. This is so that MIDI file can use Sonar's file time code.

If you open a MIDI file in Sonar there is no preset time code so Sonar uses the MIDI file's time code.

Consequently, you have to decide which time code you want to use. Both have their places and I feel that Sonar's approach is a very good one in that you get to choose which time code to use. YMMV

Last edited by MarioD; 09/10/17 01:28 PM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,516
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193