Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
A
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
A
I mentioned this as part of another thread on Nashville numbers on the Power Tracks wish list but it probably belongs here.....

"Nashville numbers" are great and I'm learning to play from them as my musical skills advance, but I think it would be great if similar concepts could be incorporated into BIAB even further.

Given that there is a long history of music and music education, such as solfege, Kodaly method and shape note singing, that is interval based for both ear training and sight singing rather than being based soley on standard notation, I think this could be of general interest.

The ability to assign, display and print melody notes by number and not just the chords ( per the Nashville number system ) might be a valuable enhancement. There is a program "Tabledit" that will take a melody line and add the note numbers above the staff if one chooses. However it doesn't transform the chords on a sheet to their numeric equivalent on the same sheet.

My user name is Astrummer mainly because that is the way that I primarily play guitar. But one of my "ultimate" goals is to get to chord-melody by ear. The tools in BIAB have been helping me, I think that the additional feature I mentioned would help even more. Perhaps I'm not alone in this....

Anyone else see this as a potentially useful function and want to chime in?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
You know, since we already have a dropdown in notation Opts to allow for identifying the noteheads with note names, either relative to key or relative to fixed note, this should be an easy implementation, there could be another dropdown selection or two there to print the numbers over the noteheads.

And it would be a great addition, IMO.

People learning to transpose on the fly might benefit readily from such, too.

--Mac

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
A
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
A
Before this falls onto page 2 and into obscurity...

If only 2 people are fans enough of "note numbers" to speak up I think the chances of this getting implemented aren't very high....

So does anyone else want to add their voice in support of this feature? ( I won't bump it again )

Last edited by astrummer; 01/09/08 06:51 PM.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I've seen pgmusic development implement things over the years that came from a single request, so don't give up hope. Matter of fact, several features that you know and may use every day came from my single request over the years.

Probably has much to do with how easy such may be to implement, in this case I don't predict it to be asking them to jump through proverbial hoops of programming fire, but we may have to wait until next year's release to see if we get this one or not.

--Mac

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I've never tried this 'note number' method (having been originally trained on classical music and then self-taught with chords and tab) but if it helps, I'm all for it

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Don't tell anybody, but the first year of Classical Music Theory is all about converting the notes to numbers.

And the chords to Roman Numerals.

Only real difference is that the classical student must memorize those numbers and be able to identify 'em on the fly.

"Figured Bass" was the method used hundreds of years ago as we use Fake Chords today.

--Mac

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Funny but I really don't remember that. Maybe they just didn't teach it that way at my school? I don't remember ever learning chords as such either, for that matter. Just how to read music and how to play it. Then again, I never learnt a chordal instrument at school (wind and strings, yes but nothing chordal). Had to teach myself guitar and keyboards in the end...

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I meant Music School, first year university level, Performance, Music Ed or Composition majors.

There are also various accelerated gymnasium or lower school level music theory courses where an aspiring student can expect to get a head start on the subject.

--Mac

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Ah! Thanks for the clarification

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
A
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
A
Quote:

I meant Music School, first year university level, Performance, Music Ed or Composition majors.

There are also various accelerated gymnasium or lower school level music theory courses where an aspiring student can expect to get a head start on the subject.

--Mac

Think Maria Von Trapp in "The Sound of Music", Solfege, Kodaly, basic educational tool, in summary another great feature that could be a part of BIAB....

It would pretty much guarantee that I would buy BIAB 2009....

Last edited by astrummer; 01/10/08 04:16 PM.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Solfege notation for the chording is included as a new feature in BIAB2008 as "Fixed Do" notation. Kinda neat, but it would be even better if the numbers and solfege were by-the-note also, which is what I think this thread request is about.

--Mac

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
A
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
A
Quote:

Solfege notation for the chording is included as a new feature in BIAB2008 as "Fixed Do" notation. Kinda neat, but it would be even better if the numbers and solfege were by-the-note also, which is what I think this thread request is about.

--Mac

Yes, that is the nature of the request, the numbers for the chording along with the numbers for the individual notes.

Last edited by astrummer; 01/10/08 06:26 PM.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
And if the numbering would adjust accordingly for key changes, that would be excellent.

Alistair
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
A
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
A
Quote:

And if the numbering would adjust accordingly for key changes, that would be excellent.

Thanks for mentioning that. I would pretty much expect that if the feature were incorporated that it would, but it should not go without saying.

Beyond that perhaps even allowing something in a minor key or modal key to be done in its relative major key. That is something in Am could be done in the key of A with the note A being one, or it could be done in the key of C with the note A being 6. ( For those of us who tend to think in terms of modes more than in terms of keys )

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Yes.

The current Fixed Do algo keeps C as Do no matter what.

I don't find that very useful, but I do understand that there are folks who asked for it, so they must have learned a different way of doing things than I.

Rather than a set of fixed dropdowns, such as we have in the guitar fretboard, I'd like to see the numerical options easily customizable.

Perhaps a "define tonic" or "Tonic is:" dropdown where you pick Root or 6th, something like that.

--And make it smart enough to be able to automatically account for the key changes at any bar, too.

--Mac

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Then it seems that I have learned this (without realising it), through my personal study of chordal instruments and arranging. Is this the same as saying 'I-V-ii-vi-IV-V7-I'?? I certainly know that Am is VIm / vi (and therefore 6) in the key of C...

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The numbers are the same whether Roman Numerals (classical notation) or Arabic (jazz and pop, "Nashville" notation).

Knowing the numbers for all keys is the fastest way to do transposing on the fly.

"Fixed DO" is a bit different, the DO is always a C, RE always a D, etc.

--Mac

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Wee! Wow! Wahay! Ok then...

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
PG, please visit this wiki page Numbered Musical Notation for detailed explanation and samples. Many chinese hymnals are printed in this format.
This notation system is akin to Nashville system for Chords and hence is great for computerised classification of songs in BB.
Quote:

Here is quote from the wiki:
An index using the numbered notation allows us to find a song if we remember the tune but not the name. To appreciate that, we can look at an example. A children's song book may have an index like this:

|1· 1· |1 23· | Row, row, row your boat

|1 1 5 5 |6 6 5 - | Twinkle, twinkle little star

|1 2 3 1 |1 2 3 1 | Frere Jacques

Compared to the standard notation, the numbered notation is very compact for just the melody line. It is even possible to transcribe music in between the lines of text. Transcribing harmony can be done by vertically stacking the notes, but the advantage of compactness decreases as the harmony becomes more complex. The standard notation, with its graphical notation, is better in representing the duration and timing among multiple notes.

BB with this feature could be a hit in the huge China market.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
A
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
A
Quote:

BB with this feature could be a hit in the huge China market.

http://tripatlas.com/Numbered_musical_notation

Wow, I didn't realize that there is a musical culture that is THAT substantial associated with this notation. It feels good to be less alone in this......hopefully this puts it on the radar permanently for the developers of BIAB 2009.

Last edited by astrummer; 06/09/08 06:06 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195