Go To
RealBand
B
BurtB Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
After a recent Windoze 10 update I've been having intermittent issues with RealBand on startup.

Sometimes there is the busy cursor (hourglass) that doesn't go away, and RB is unresponsive.

I have to kill RB and then on startup I have to restore the default configuration in order to get it to finish loading, if I don't restore the defaults then I have to kill RB and start it again and then load the defaults.

Of course this is a pain since I have to change all the settings to what I had before.

Has anyone run into this or similar issues where the configuration appears to get trashed.

As mentioned this is intermittent in nature and I haven't found a correlation with any particular types of files that have been loaded, etc.

Thanks,
Burt

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Have you tried right-clicking on the startup icon and selecting "Run as administrator" to see if that makes a difference?

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
B
BurtB Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Thanks,

When it decides to fail next time I'll try that but I would expect it to be a regular failure if it was a permission issue.

I'm currently working with PGMusic to see if we can figure out the cause, and a solution. But since it is pretty intermittent it may take a while to resolve the issue.

It may be related to either the Behringer XR18 digital mixer (with ASIO driver for audio) and/or the external Keton SD-4 MIDI synth interfaced with a USB to MIDI interface.

Burt

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
1. continue to work with PG no matter what

2. This is just info, do with it what you want

The new Win 10 Creator "Feature" Update added a Game mode - suggest you turn it off

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-disable-game-mode-windows-10-creators-update

while Realband is NOT Sonar that new win 10 feature (game mode) may be part of issue

http://blog.cakewalk.com/windows-10-creators-update-your-daw-is-not-a-game/

Good luck
Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
What's Windoze? Is it supported by PG?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
B
BurtB Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Windoze: AKA Windows 10:) A sluggish operating system that can cause indigestion:) Some users swear by Windoze, other swear at it:)

These days I mostly fall into the latter camp, although many moons ago I made good money developing software, including device drivers, for Windoze.

Win10 was so bad on my wife's HP desktop that I replaced the hard drive with a fresh one and installed Linux Mint 18.x.

Performance on the same hardware shot through the roof, software updates are no longer glacial without the "don't turn your computer off" cycles on shutdown and startup. Rarely do you need to reboot when doing software updates on Linux, only when updating the kernel.

The DVD drive that Windoze 10 had stopped recognizing after a Redmond update was just fine under Linux Mint. I had tried all the online hacks to get the DVD drive recognized under Windoze 10 with no success.

We had a problem with Windoze breaking the HP driver for my wife's HP photosmart printer. A new driver from HP worked around it, but was a bit of a pain to install. About a month or so later a Windows update finally caught up with the new printer driver.

Linux Mint instantly recognized my wife's printer and installation was extremely simple. This is the case with Linux these days on reasonable hardware. And icing on the case Linux is not always phoning home with your personal information or usage unless you give permission.

RealBand
B
BurtB Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Thanks,

Don't have the Creator's Update installed (yet). But I'll keep this in mind.

PG music thinks it might be some kind of interaction with the external MIDI and/or Mixer drivers, but since the latest Win10 update the problem has gone into hiding, so it is likely that M$oft broke something in the previous update that got fixed.

Or it's just trying to lull me into a false sense of security:)

Time will tell.

RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
This might help so you don't loose your settings:

RealBand Kill - Reset - Backup

you can also add to the .bat

Code:
del "c:\RealBand\PT_Is_Running.Txt"

this will prevent the nag dialog "Do you want to reset RealBand to Defaults" after every crash.

To edit the bat files right click > edit

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Gotta love it...

It was a joke Burt.

Nothing wrong with Win 10, Biab OR Real Band. I've said it so many times now, it's all in your system, external interfaces and the config with your software. It can be tricky getting it set up for sure but that's the name of the game with digital audio.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BurtB
Windoze: AKA Windows 10:) A sluggish operating system that can cause indigestion:) Some users swear by Windoze, other swear at it:)

These days I mostly fall into the latter camp, although many moons ago I made good money developing software, including device drivers, for Windoze.

Win10 was so bad on my wife's HP desktop that I replaced the hard drive with a fresh one and installed Linux Mint 18.x.

Performance on the same hardware shot through the roof, software updates are no longer glacial without the "don't turn your computer off" cycles on shutdown and startup. Rarely do you need to reboot when doing software updates on Linux, only when updating the kernel.

The DVD drive that Windoze 10 had stopped recognizing after a Redmond update was just fine under Linux Mint. I had tried all the online hacks to get the DVD drive recognized under Windoze 10 with no success.

We had a problem with Windoze breaking the HP driver for my wife's HP photosmart printer. A new driver from HP worked around it, but was a bit of a pain to install. About a month or so later a Windows update finally caught up with the new printer driver.

Linux Mint instantly recognized my wife's printer and installation was extremely simple. This is the case with Linux these days on reasonable hardware. And icing on the case Linux is not always phoning home with your personal information or usage unless you give permission.

BurtB,

Does Band-in-a-Box and RealBand run on Linux Mint 18? Are device drivers available for common audio interfaces available for Linux Mint 18?

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
L
Expert
Expert
L
I've been with Microsoft since DOS and Windows 2. No one's going to tear me away from it. My wife and daughter sold out to Apple on Day 1. Linux is way to cool for me. Android is just so cheap. Shame it's useless on the music front.

Sometimes Windows 10 annoys me, but on the whole I love it. A bit like another couple of pieces of software ....... :-)

Last edited by lambada; 09/11/17 08:05 PM.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,575
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200