You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#429123 - 09/07/17 11:14 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Tyros and BIAB
devonplayer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: devon u.k.
I have host midi lead to Tyros 4 from PC windows 7.

I am attempting to get my Tyros 4 yamaha to start BIAB play back when I place my left hand to keyboard and not using the green play button, I have investigated the Tyros midi function button at External Clock and fiddled with the buttons but no luck.
Can someone please help and oldie (80years)with an idiot type sheet instruction on how to proceed.
(I play on top of the Biab program for enjoyment only)

#429133 - 09/08/17 03:35 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Tyros and BIAB [Re: devonplayer]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Quote:
I have host midi lead to Tyros 4

Are you using the USB port or a midi lead to your sound device.

In the MIDI Driver window select the Midi Input Device.

Click the Conductor button then Help.

Conductor Window - Live Looping/Playback control

As the song is playing, there are options to control the flow of playback by one of three methods:

1. Conductor window

2. QWERTY hot keys

3. MIDI keyboard

#429162 - 09/08/17 09:34 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Tyros and BIAB [Re: devonplayer]
devonplayer Offline
Journeyman

Thanks Pipeline,
Midi lead is from yamaha Tyros to PC and yamaha workstation1 is at midi on.

Some partial success using conductor (never noticed before) play does start with tick at midikeyboard , but speed of playback keeps varying.

Such as box comes up stating normal speed, quarter speed etc and even stops.
Any further tutition or information gratefully received.

#429174 - 09/08/17 12:40 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Tyros and BIAB [Re: devonplayer]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Example using the MIDI keyboard.

Assume Charlie is a piano player who uses his MIDI keyboard with Band-in-a-Box, and would like to play his keyboard, but also use it to control Band-in-a-Box.

He sets the conductor to allow his MIDI keyboard lowest notes A/Bb/B to turn the Conductor mode OFF/ON/Toggled-when held.

When he turns it off (low A note), he can play his keyboard normally.

If he wants to pause the song, he holds down the low B3 note as he presses the MIDI key for pause, which is G4. The song will pause, and the conductor mode turns off as he lets go of the B3 key, and he can resume his piano playing. If Charlie didn’t plan on using the MIDI keyboard for piano playing, he could leave it in conductor mode by turning it on with the A3 key.
Click to reveal..
Conductor Functions with MIDI Keys and QWERTY Hot Keys

Here are the various functions available using the Conductor. The MIDI key and QWERTY hot key are shown.

C3
Normal Tempo
Ctrl =

C#
Half Speed Tempo
Ctrl -

D3
Quarter Speed Tempo

Eb3
Eighth Speed Tempo

E3
Loop Section Enabled
NUMPAD 1

F3
Play with last chorus looped
Ctrl-NUMPAD 1

F#3
Play with middle choruses looped
Ctrl-NUMPAD 2

G3
Play with middle and last choruses looped
Ctrl-NUMPAD 3

G#3
Jump to last chorus (no loop)
Ctrl-NUMPAD 4

A3
Jump to ending (no loop)
Ctrl-NUMPAD 5

Bb3
Loop notation screen

B3
Decrease Tempo by 1
Shift [

C4(48)
Increase Tempo by 1
Shift ]

Db4
Decrease Tempo by 5
[

D4
Increase Tempo by 5
]

Eb4
Tap tempo
- (press 4 times)

E4
Tap Tempo and play
= (press 4 times)

F4
Play
F4

F#4
Stop
Escape

G4
Pause
Backspace (or Ctrl H)

G#4
Replay
Ctrl A

A4
MIDI Panic
F12

Bb4
Previous Song
Ctrl-Shift-F8

B4
Next Song
Shift-F8

C5(60)
This is a control character for THRU patches. When C5 is held down, pressing MIDI notes 61/62 decrease/increase the THRU patch by one, and 63-72 change THRU patches to Favorite patches.

Db5
Open Notation Window
Ctrl-W

D5
Lead sheet Window
Alt-W

Eb5
Reduce All Volumes by 5
Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Q

E5
Increase all Volumes by 5
Ctrl-Alt-Shift-W

F5
ALL Mute/Unmute
Alt-2

F#5
Bass Mute/Unmute
Alt-3

G5
Piano Mute/Unmute
Alt-4

G#5
Drums/Unmute
Alt-5

A5
Guitar Mute/Unmute
Alt-6

Bb5
Strings Mute/Unmute
Alt-7

B5
Melody/Unmute
Alt-9

C6
Soloist Mute/Unmute
Alt-8

Db6
THRU Mute/Unmute
Alt 0

F6 to D7
Jump to Sections 1-10 of the song
1-9 and 0

D6
Audio Mute

Eb7
Loop Current Chorus
a

E7
Loop Current Section
s

F7
Loop Current Bar
z

F#7
Loop Current 4 Bars
x

G7
Loop current Part
c

Ab7
Looping ON, previous setting
v

A7
Looping OFF
b

Bb7
Go Back 1 Chorus
Ctrl a

B7
Go Back 1 Section
Ctrl s

C8
Go Back 1 Screen
Ctrl d

Db8
Go Back 1 Bar
Ctrl z

D8
Go Back 4 Bars
Ctrl x

Eb8
Go Back 1 Part marker
Ctrl c

E8
Go Ahead 1 Chorus
Shift A

F8
Go Ahead 1 Section
Shift S

F#8
Go Ahead 1 Screen
Shift D

G8
Go Ahead 1 Bar
Shift Z

Ab8
Go Ahead 4 Bars
Shift X

A8
Go Ahead 1 Part marker
Shift C

In addition, using the MIDI keyboard, you can also use the Conductor to:

A1
(note#21)Turn MIDI Conductor OFF

Bb1
Turn MIDI Conductor ON

B1
Turn MIDI Conductor ON only as note is held down

You can also get a USB Foot Switch to do this and set it to the Biab Play/Stop and Conductor hotkeys.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FS3-P-USB-Triple-Foot-Switch-Pedal-Control-Keyboard-Mouse-Plastic-SE-/122545962530?epid=1769235767

Attachments
BB_Conductor.jpg

#429193 - 09/08/17 03:47 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Tyros and BIAB [Re: devonplayer]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Devonplayer,

Have you tried the "Options | Preferences" setting that I've highlighted on the image below?

While this setting doesn't offer the versatility that comes with Pipeline's suggestions, it might do the job for you.

The option is found on the first screen that appears once Preferences is opened.

My understanding of this feature, and I could be wrong because I haven't tried it, is that you press the "Generate" button first. Playback won't start immediately, though, because BIAB is waiting for a signal from either the MIDI keyboard or the QWERTY keyboard. Once that signal is received, playback begins.

Hope this helps,
Noel

Attachments
external start.JPG

#429199 - 09/08/17 05:02 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Tyros and BIAB [Re: Noel96]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Good thinkin' 99 !

#429220 - 09/08/17 11:32 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Tyros and BIAB [Re: Pipeline]
devonplayer Offline
Journeyman

Thanks guys for all that information, (its 7am here in UK and the boss will not let me switch on BIAB/Tyros)
But those instructions must work.
I can now understand why I was getting those queer deviations at speed etc.
Those pedals might be a step too far, there are already two and volume pedals going to Tyros. My little old brain might not cope with 6 of them.

Will let you all know how things go.

Thanks again. John, Devonplayer

#429221 - 09/08/17 11:47 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Tyros and BIAB [Re: devonplayer]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Haven't you ever flown a helicopter !

#429222 - 09/09/17 12:06 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Tyros and BIAB [Re: Pipeline]
devonplayer Offline
Journeyman

Yes in microsoft flight simulator but I was younger then.

#429226 - 09/09/17 01:34 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Tyros and BIAB [Re: Pipeline]
devonplayer Offline
Journeyman

OK guys, some success but inconsistancies, perfect operation sometimes and then corruptions take place.
Even the Tyros midi function page gets changed and BIAB takes a resetting like going back to Prefs switching off those new instructions to get any normal BIAB function like having to go back to the green arrow again.

AND when working how do you get the automatic start to stop at the end of the play without using the stop button at BIAB.

Perhaps I need to come back in a few days when the old grey matter as solved these problems for me.

Will be in touch and thanks all for your guidance.
Devonplayer

#429235 - 09/09/17 03:45 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Tyros and BIAB [Re: devonplayer]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

What about a small wireless keyboard on top of your Tyros, then you just hit the spacebar to play/stop.

#429631 - 09/13/17 12:45 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Tyros and BIAB [Re: Pipeline]
devonplayer Offline
Journeyman

Now that did work using my pc keyboard.

Attaching a photograph of my BIAB/Tyros set up, the pink cross locates the pc keyboard which is not very convenient a wireless board would be handy.

The set up at the photograph does work well the mouse is handy so perhaps I should be thankful for some purposes.

Thanks all.

yamaha tyros set up

#429633 - 09/13/17 01:16 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Tyros and BIAB [Re: devonplayer]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Great setup you got there.

You can try MIDI Hotkey Portable http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/Multimedia/Audio/MIDI-Hotkey-Portable.shtml

Right click > Properties > Compatibility > XP > Run as Admin
you can set it to the high C or low C to send the spacebar keystroke.
Set other keys to any other keystroke or hotkeys.

Converts signals from midi devices (e.g. epiano) to keystrokes

MIDI Hotkey Portable is a handy and reliable utility designed to enable you to control your computer using a midi device like a piano. Not only can you configure the notes you can also configure the sustain pedal, play, stop, record buttons.

There are many ways to use MIDI Hotkey Portable: You can use this software to make recording easier (e.g. control cubase, samplitude, using your electric piano). But also you are able to launch programs like firefox or even control the mouse.

Attachments
MidiHotKeys2.jpg

#429643 - 09/13/17 05:04 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Tyros and BIAB [Re: Pipeline]
devonplayer Offline
Journeyman

Thanks Pipeline, thats a new one on me.

Let you all know how I get on. (Doc. around at the present time)

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonials!

Tell everyone how much you love Band-in-a-Box® with your very own Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial video!

Submit your video, and when we use it on our website (and YouTube page) we will send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Take a look at the video testimonials we've already received at www.pgmusic.com/videotestimonials.php

Learn more about how to submit your video testimonial here.

Beginners Help - Muting the Melody Notation

Visit our Beginners Forum, and you'll notice our amazing Forum Community helping out new program users!

Like this recent post regarding Muting the Melody Notation: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458716 - Forum user Matt Finley did a great job of answering the new program user!

Our Beginners Forum really is a great resource for new program users!

Q: When I have entered chords and notation for a song, is it possible to mute the notation and just have the chords playing? This would be helpful for when I just want the chord backing track but want to read the notation.

A: There are several ways to do this. The easiest is probably to use the Mixer window and change the volume slider to zero for the Melody track. Or, hit the Mute icon on the Mixer for the Melody Track.

Another way, with more control rather than all or nothing, is to press F5 at the measure where you want to mute, and select mute or change the volume to zero. Later, press F5 and select Return to Normal, or change the volume back.

Introducing... RealTracks Artists David Wise & Shelly Justice!

For the first time ever Band-in-a-Box® can generate backing vocals with some amazing "oohs" and "aahs" vocal arrangements with RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs! Add male or female parts by renowned Nashville vocalists David Wise and Shelly Justice, and you'll LOVE the results!

David and Shelly have recorded with many different artists, including CeCe Winans, Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Donnie McClurkin, Jeremy Camp, Lady Antebellum, OneRepublic, Steve Green, and more!

RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs includes a three-part, six-voice arrangement – which you can use all together in your song or individually for more delicate textures! Listen to the demos for RealTracks Set 278 here.

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Learn more about Dave & Shelly when you visit their RealTracks Artist Bio page:
David Wise: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=150
Shelly Justice: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=151

#TechTipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

If you're ever experiencing an issue with your Band-in-a-Box program, make sure you have the most recent patch update for your version - this can be done at http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm.

Patch updates are released frequently, and are created by our development team to fix any reported bugs, tweak existing features within the program, update demos and other files as needed, and more!

To find out which version of the program you have, visit Help | About Band-in-a-Box within the program. You will see the full version number listing as:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2018 (512)

The number in parentheses is the build number. As you can see, my Band-in-a-Box is up to date and will continue to stay that way because I've selected "Automatically check for updates every 7 days" within the Help | Check for Updates.... option (you can set the number of days to a different number). This window will also look to see if you're version is up to date, so you don't technically have to visit http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm if you didn't want to!

Once you've installed your patch update (make sure the program is closed when you're doing this), give it another try - if you are still experiencing the same issue you can report it by contacting us directly, or you can post your result to the Forum thread that also announces the patch update, like our recent Band-in-a-Box 2018 Build 512 Update (Feb 15) post.

YouTube Find - How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES

Check out one of EricBlackmonGuitar's latest videos, How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES and you'll hear a great Band-in-a-Box backing track!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=blJPIX-9YbE

...and you'll also learn how to play blues with just a few notes!

A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Forum Stats
27147 Members
49 Forums
50348 Topics
413336 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
okelly, Hakans Evergreen, serg_s_baklanov, Hisham Hammad, maryyy

27146 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 257
Noel96 220