Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#429486 - 09/11/17 05:21 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Lack of backward compatibility - using 2017 for Mac with older MGU files [Re: foxylady]
JayO Online   content
Journeyman

Ah ha !
Thanks for the picture Pipeline, obviously I read it too quickly blush , I was looking at the main tempo displayed in the toolbar.

I didn't realize it was in the Print options you were talking about, until I saw your screenshot and re-read the thread.
Yes I can confirm the same thing is happening here too.
Doh, sorry, gotta slow down a bit ! blush

- Jay

Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 8.13.19 PM.png

#429487 - 09/11/17 05:29 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Lack of backward compatibility - using 2017 for Mac with older MGU files [Re: JayO]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Ah ha !

Just copy your post to the Beta so they know.

Thanks.

#429490 - 09/11/17 05:52 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Lack of backward compatibility - using 2017 for Mac with older MGU files [Re: foxylady]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Loc: Iceland
...and my findings:

Nuages - This one did not crash, no matter how much I messed with it (and in the beta tests I'm usually "the guy who breaks stuff"!), but I also did not get any sounds from the Soloist channel, nor did it show the correct instrument label in Mixer compared to Pipeline's screenshot (I got Voice Oo's!), so obviously there is a flaw in there still of some sort.

Two Sleepy People - This one plays just fine and all, but does have that same "printer values" issue as noted above:

Attachments
Screen shot 2017-09-12 at 00.36.07.png

Edited by Icelander (09/11/17 06:15 PM)
Edit Reason: Further details

#429499 - 09/11/17 10:23 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Lack of backward compatibility - using 2017 for Mac with older MGU files [Re: Blake]
Beachboy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Australia

182 Lyric Editor still doesn't work (produces out of range numbers then can't edit) Adding Lyrics in Notation TAB key works every second Lyric, can't time adjust melody more than for beats with "out of range" message, menus don't function when lyric edit is still enabled....... Not to mention the essentials the OSX version doesn't have compared to the Windows version.
As for....
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
.... I know from 2018 Mac OS X will only run 64bit apps, so they could be flat out working on that ???

I hope not. Please fix 32 bit 2017 before asking people to purchase 2018 and maybe find it still doesn't fully function, because there doesn't seem to be much action on existing, reported issues.
My tip, Parallels and the Windows version.

Edited by Beachboy (09/12/17 02:47 PM)

#429575 - 09/12/17 02:13 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Lack of backward compatibility - using 2017 for Mac with older MGU files [Re: Blake]
foxylady Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Fife, Scotland
Thanks, Blake. I've downloaded and installed the build 182 update, and can confirm that the segmentation error triggered by clicking on the mute button for any instrument after loading the copy of Nuages I've referred to.

I puzzled when you say 2012 didn't have the Lead Sheet feature, as I've been creating and exchanging BIAB leadsheets since 2007.

Here is a link to a file I put together in 2012, which includes the Style and Tempo information in the Print Options dialogue:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0usm2a7xo52ze6/Manhattan%20%5BRT%5D%20MDH.MGU?dl=0

If you open this file in BIAB 2016 or earlier, you should see these fields correctly filed in, but if you open them in 2017 for Mac the initial characters of these fields are missing.

#429578 - 09/12/17 02:18 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Lack of backward compatibility - using 2017 for Mac with older MGU files [Re: Icelander]
foxylady Offline
Apprentice

Thanks, Icelander.

I see you're using OSX 10.6.8 - perhaps my crashes were caused by 10.12 (Sierra) - but the crashes have stopped now that I have build 182 of BIAB.

I still have the fault with Two Sleepy People.

#429583 - 09/12/17 02:24 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Lack of backward compatibility - using 2017 for Mac with older MGU files [Re: JayO]
foxylady Offline
Apprentice

Originally Posted By: JayO
Sorry, late to the party here.
I did just download the "Two Sleepy People.MGU" file and didn't get a crash here on v.182 when muting tracks.

I did notice though that the tempo when I opened it was 90 bpm, and not 80bpm, but it does display both digits here.
I am running 10.11.6 though, not sure if that makes a difference.

- Jay

Thanks Jay.

It was the Nuages file that triggered the crashes, and that's now solved with 182.

Two Sleepy People was sent to me by a friend, who sets the target tempo for performance on the lead sheet (80 bpm), but may use BIAB for practice at a different tempo (90 bpm in this case).

This fault may be OSX version-related, too. Icelander reports no crashes on muting instruments with Nuages loaded with an earlier-than-Sierra version.

Edited by foxylady (09/12/17 02:27 PM)

#429588 - 09/12/17 02:46 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Lack of backward compatibility - using 2017 for Mac with older MGU files [Re: foxylady]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Quote:
If you open this file in BIAB 2016 or earlier, you should see these fields correctly filed in, but if you open them in 2017 for Mac the initial characters of these fields are missing.

What version 2016 are you using, I tried the oldest and newest with the same problem, and 2015.

Click to reveal..

Attachments
MacBB_2017-2016-2015.png (44 downloads)

#429591 - 09/12/17 03:21 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Lack of backward compatibility - using 2017 for Mac with older MGU files [Re: Pipeline]
foxylady Offline
Apprentice

My mistake, apologies for relying on memory!

The Print Option text comes up correctly when viewed in BIAB 2014 for Windows (running in a Virtual Machine on my Mac), but loses the first characters of the text when viewed on 2016 Pro for Mac, and 2017 Audiophile for Mac.

I have a feeling that it was OK with BIAB 2016 when I was running an earlier version of MacOS (I'm currently on Sierra 10.12.16), but can't swear to that.

#429597 - 09/12/17 03:28 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Lack of backward compatibility - using 2017 for Mac with older MGU files [Re: foxylady]
Blake Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: foxylady
I puzzled when you say 2012 didn't have the Lead Sheet feature, as I've been creating and exchanging BIAB leadsheets since 2007.

Perhaps you are talking about the Windows versions? Band-in-a-Box 2012 for Macintosh did not had the Lead Sheet window yet, although it did have the Print Options window that contains the field for typing in the tempo.

I cannot reproduce the bug by saving a song in the 2012 Mac version, and then opening it in the 2017 Mac version. However I can reproduce the bug if the song was saved in the 2017 Windows version. Both of your example songs were saved in Windows versions of Band-in-a-Box:

Two Sleepy People - was last saved in build 466 (Windows)
Manhatten - was last saved in build 357 (Windows)

In Manhatten, I noticed that there is the same bug with the Style field in Print Options (the first character is missing).

Since these files open fine in the Windows version, that means the data was not lost while saving, so this should be fixable in the Mac version.

PG Music Inc.

#429606 - 09/12/17 04:10 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Lack of backward compatibility - using 2017 for Mac with older MGU files [Re: Blake]
foxylady Offline
Apprentice

Ah, I didn't realise that this feature didn't exist in the earlier Mac versions - as you say, I was using Windows in 2007, and (until I bought the 2016Pro version for Mac) had continued to use a Windows version in a Virtual machine on my Mac from 2013 onwards.

Although the Mac 2017 version will store and print out the Tempo, Style etc fields from the Print Options dialogue, it doesn't show the Copyright notice on the lead sheet.

This may be part of the same bug as affected Manhattan and Two Sleepy People.

#429622 - 09/12/17 08:06 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Lack of backward compatibility - using 2017 for Mac with older MGU files [Re: foxylady]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

So iff you wanna talk "lack of compatibility", then perhaps between platforms is the bigger issue here, then... just saying whistle

#429629 - 09/12/17 10:57 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Lack of backward compatibility - using 2017 for Mac with older MGU files [Re: Icelander]
foxylady Offline
Apprentice

Point taken!

But I didn't know that when I started this thread, and it turns out that the problem wasn't one of a lack of compatibility, but a bug in the Mac implementation of BIAB which was revealed by an update to MacOS Sierra.

I still believe that backward compatibility is a desirable goal, and also that it should be possible to "Save As" an earlier version, albeit with loss of some features.

I'm thinking here of sharing files with other musical friends for rehearsal purposes where the friends might not wish to shell out the cash for RealTracks etc, but would want to be able to transpose for their instruments, play with a MIDI backing track, and create a PDF lead sheet.

#429668 - 09/13/17 10:53 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Lack of backward compatibility - using 2017 for Mac with older MGU files [Re: foxylady]
w Offline
Expert

Loc: somewhere in outer space
foxylady,

^

Quote:
I still believe that backward compatibility is a desirable goal, and also that it should be possible to "Save As" an earlier version, albeit with loss of some features.

I fully agree with your comments foxylady.

In fact i have some Apple midi/audio/video software that allows backward compatibility. Which as you note makes it much easier for project sharing especially important with the Mac Operating System upgrades with all the inevitable bugs.

#429669 - 09/13/17 11:04 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Lack of backward compatibility - using 2017 for Mac with older MGU files [Re: foxylady]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Ok, perhaps I should clarify that my "just saying" quip wasn't so much aimed at the OP as the PG staff that I now know are 'listening in' on this conversation.

My "Platform Differences" tune is one I do tend to chime out at pretty much any chance I get whenever I see an opening for it - and you just gave me one wink

#429685 - 09/13/17 02:00 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Lack of backward compatibility - using 2017 for Mac with older MGU files [Re: Icelander]
foxylady Offline
Apprentice

No offence taken - I could hear the characteristic sound of a hobby-horse being saddled up for some regular exercise...

#429688 - 09/13/17 02:18 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Lack of backward compatibility - using 2017 for Mac with older MGU files [Re: foxylady]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Very good, you clearly 'get' me then - and what a picture you paint there as well, I might add grin

#429870 - 09/15/17 10:42 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Lack of backward compatibility - using 2017 for Mac with older MGU files [Re: Icelander]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Icelander
...I also did not get any sounds from the Soloist channel, nor did it show the correct instrument label in Mixer compared to Pipeline's screenshot.
Right, some further elaboration on these two symptoms after more testing (and more patches):

1. The 'no sound' issue is only occurring if I press the "Solo" button but not if I use the "Mute" button to manually isolate the Soloist track. And this odd behaviour is limited to just the Soloist track.
2. The 'wrong label' is something I've seen/reported before and is really baffling for its inconsistent behaviour, but occurs a great deal more often with pre-existing older files so I think it's relevant to this thread. I for example now know with further tests that it doesn't always give me the 'Voice Doo's' label like I thought, but rather each time I've opened this same song I get a different label (but not the correct one!), regardless of the method of how I opened the file.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
Video - Making A Song in Band-in-a-Box® 2018

Ever wonder how to create a song in Band-in-a-Box®? We start off with the basics in our latest video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018!

Windows users: click here | Mac users: click here

RealTracks Patch Update for Windows Users

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest RealTracks update patch (519) here.

This patch includes some RealTracks audio updates we have made since the release of Band-in-a-Box 2018. 2018 users should be sure to download the latest Band-in-a-Box 2018 update patch (519), as that patch includes the bulk of the fixes for RealTracks released with 2018. This is a larger download than typical because it updates the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks audio files. There is more information and Audiophile patches available here.

Summary of RealTracks Audio updates:
Improved: There were small issues with the tuning of several Bass styles. This has been fixed for both the original mix and the direct input mix. This affects the following RealTracks:
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow16thsByron Ev16 060
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow128Byron Sw 040
- Bass, Acoustic, RockabillySwingByron Sw 190
- Bass, Acoustic, BluesyPopByron Ev 100
Improved: Audio glitches have been removed from the ends of phrases in the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks.

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Patch Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest (free) update patch (519) here.

Summary of changes:
Added: Additional dialog available for detailed information in the StyleMaker (fields for memo, examples, and other parameters). These are set in the StyleMaker (more dialog, a button called "Style Memos etc").
Added: Help Video button Added to the Audio Harmony dialog.
Improved: ABC opening improvements with some accidentals, and leadin bars that occur in middle of song.
Improved: Audio harmonies now used Improved algorithms, and can be easily set using N voices above, M voices below (and have additional functions like duplicate melody, and dup. melody octave below).
Improved: Lyrics will be now read from .mid files that used to be karaoke files (.kar) and got renamed somewhere along the line.
Improved: Support for RealTracks that should be transposed only lower (ie heavy metal guitars) and for future Improved metal guitar comping.
Improved: The Audio Harmony Dialog has been rearranged to be more intuitive when using Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: Audio harmonies might be missing some notes.
Fixed: Audio harmonies would be generated with the wrong notes if selecting a range of audio in the middle of the track.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might crash on bootup with error "Read Beyond end of file".
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box should show message if the latest VJT application is not installed when the user tries to render videos.
Fixed: File > Open Special > Open Audio was importing audio instead of opening it in a new song.
Fixed: In the Bar Settings window, "Chordsheet and Notation - Start a New Line" should say "Notation - Start a New Line".
Fixed: It was not possible to record audio using WAS audio drivers if "Output always on" was disabled.
Fixed: Misc. RealTracks updates.
Fixed: Quicklist drums picker sometimes showing too many drums in the list.
Fixed: Redundant flash messages were showing.
Fixed: Removing a custom drums from a track would still display Drums as the name of the loop in the track.
Fixed: Rendering audio while there is a region of bars highlighted in the chord sheet might cause a crash.
Fixed: Saving a MIDI file would fail unless saving as type 1.
Fixed: Some 12-key RealTracks were incorrectly set to allow transposition.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog needed some hints.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog was missing the new Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: The VJT application should print out its version number in log files.

Tutorials - How to Install Your Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Hard Drive

When you have your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac UltraPAK shipped to you on a portable hard drive, there are a few different options for installation. We go over these 3 options with our latest video series:

Option 1: Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to view.

Option 2: Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks & RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to view.

Option 3: Install Band-in-a-Box® and the RealTracks & RealDrums on your computer hard drive: click here to view.

Check out all our Band-in-a-Box for Mac videos here.

Video - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets for Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Have you purchased your Band-in-a-Box® package, and want to make sure you're downloading and installing the RealTracks Sets correctly?

Well, we've created just the tutorial video you're looking for! Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets.

Video link:
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=QndXu8H_IwM

Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - Mac Power Users Discussion

David Sparks and Katie Floyd discuss a variety of topics in their recent episide of Mac Power Users: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/432 - listen all the way through (and laugh along with them - it was a very entertaining episode!), or jump to 1:37:40 where David shares his thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

Thank you David and Katie!

Polish New Features Video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Our Polish Distributor, Sound Station, has finished their Band-in-a-Box 2018 New Features summary video (in Polish!) - click here to watch.

We hope all our Polish Band-in-a-Box users find this video helpful - thank you Sound Station!

Forum Stats
27629 Members
50 Forums
52260 Topics
432635 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
BjornTopo, lauzah, soucychapiro, rH7yB6bGKL, VTR8ve0Hhj

27628 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 191
Noel96 168