You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#429456 - 09/11/17 12:16 PM [RealBand] Nothing recording but vu meters show inpur
WDDT Offline

I have a feeling I'm missing ONE tiny thing. At least I hope so.

Trying to record guitar to Real Band 2013 via the instrument input on my new Focusrite Scarlett Solo second generation. I can hear the guitar through the headphones, it registers on the Scarlett device (the monitor lights blink) and the vu meters on RB all show it's reading the input. But when I record the track, all that happens is, the background of the track changes from white to gold/orange -- no sound recorded at all. Recording from the mic input works fine.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Bill Dollison

#429479 - 09/11/17 04:27 PM [RealBand] Re: Nothing recording but vu meters show inpur [Re: WDDT]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
In RB go to Options-Preferences-Audio-Drivers button

Select the correct input driver .. sounds like you have the mic selected but expecting the USB to record.

There is also a Prefs button in recent versions to get there quicker.

To me it sounds like the wrong Audio Input Driver is selected.
After you select the correct one (Focusrite, which will likely require using ASIO Drivers) you should be able to record from that device. So in the Drivers area you may need to change from MME drivers to ASIO drivers to record the Focusrite USB signal. Most people have no problem when doing so.
If you do you can easily set it back to how it was.

The other option is to run an audio cable from the Focusrite's audio output to the computer's audio input ( again, the correct input Driver needs to be selected in RB, but in this scenario Windows may handle it for you), but if you go this route the quality of the Focusrite convertors is lost. Not the best option at all.

#429563 - 09/12/17 01:11 PM [RealBand] Re: Nothing recording but vu meters show inpur [Re: rharv]
WDDT Offline

Hi, rharv--

I'm not sure what needs to be done, so below is a Dropbox link to a screenshot of my Focusrite driver setup window. (I hope you're able to use it.) It looks to me like both inputs are already enabled, no? (And I have the ASIO set to Always Use.)

Driver images[/url] https://www.dropbox.com/s/dadsclsrr2gdu33/RB%20Drivers%201.jpg?dl=0

#429610 - 09/12/17 04:49 PM [RealBand] Re: Nothing recording but vu meters show inpur [Re: WDDT]
rharv Offline
Veteran

That looks right to me.
My next guess would be you don't have a section highlighted to record.

What are your From-Thru settings?
Are you on an available blank (Audio) track?

Do you have 'Record Audio too if track is a MIDI track' enabled? (can't record audio to a MIDI track even though audio signal would show in the input VUs ..

(there are few settings in Prefs that can affect what gets recorded when you hit record)

Something simple like that is likely the issue, then.
May be as simple as changing the selected Track Type to 'Audio' instead of 'MIDI'. (right-click the track and change type)
I think the default install makes new or additional tracks MIDI tracks (which won't record Audio), but this too can be changed in Prefs.

#429657 - 09/13/17 08:12 AM [RealBand] Re: Nothing recording but vu meters show inpur [Re: WDDT]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Also, if recording MONO, be sure that you have the correct channel side selected (there is a setting to choose whether to record what's coming in the left channel or right channel. If set to left channel, but your guitar is plugged into the right channel, you won't get anything.

#1-Win10Pro-64,8GB,7200RPM
#2-Win10Pro-64,16GB,SSDBoot,7200RPM
#3-Win7Pro-64,8GB,7200RPM
H/W: Onboard audio, FastTrack Pro, Casio Kbds
S/W: BB/RB2017/Sonar/Reaper/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/
NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web: http://www.sus4chord.com

#429672 - 09/13/17 11:54 AM [RealBand] Re: Nothing recording but vu meters show inpur [Re: jford]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
(Not to hijack this thread, but given your location, glad to see you posting, John)

BIAB, RB 2017(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#429675 - 09/13/17 12:24 PM [RealBand] Re: Nothing recording but vu meters show inpur [Re: WDDT]
jford Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Not to hijack this thread, but given your location, glad to see you posting, John

I am fortunate in that my wife and I (and my parents) are on the panhandle of Florida at the far western end of Florida (about 30 miles from the Alabama state line). So we luckily dodged the bullet completely.

Our concern, of course, is whenever a hurricane crosses over from the Atlantic into the Gulf of Mexico (or just originates in the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico), picks up steam again, at which point it head's our way (relatively speaking and where it lands, who knows... Harvey in Houston, Katrina in New Orleans, Ivan in Pensacola, etc).

So even in a situation like Irma, we remain vigilant during hurricane season, as they are very unpredictable and can turn in a different direction on a whim.

Thanks for asking...

#429679 - 09/13/17 12:58 PM [RealBand] Re: Nothing recording but vu meters show inpur [Re: jford]
WDDT Offline

Brilliant! (as they say in Britcoms) Thanks, jford, that was the problem. And, not to belabor the point, but in case anyone has something similar, everyone's logic (except maybe RB's) was flawless. The Scarlett Solo has the mic input on the left and the instrument input on the right. So, it records to those channels discretely, in case you're recording 2 channels live. But the default Real Band setup only records the left channel when recording mono. So of course my mic recorded and my guitar didn't.

In the linked picture, Track 1 is my recording of the guitar -- track set to mono, like a good boy, but gold background, nothing recorded. Track 2 is recording the microphone with the track set to mono, but everything working fine. After I read your post, I tried recording the guitar in stereo and, as you can see, it came in on the right channel.

I haven't tried recording again, but as you can also see, I found the setting in the Audio Drivers window that uses both left and right channels as the input for mono recordings. (If it were up to me, I'd make this the default, rather than the left channel.)

Anyway, thanks again, all (and I, too, am glad your situation is comfortable enough to have checked the PG boards!)

Bill

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ll7s9b5i42kub8h/RB%20Audio%20Drivers.jpg?dl=0

#429682 - 09/13/17 01:09 PM [RealBand] Re: Nothing recording but vu meters show inpur [Re: WDDT]
jford Offline
Veteran

Glad it worked out for you, Bill. But don't feel badly, you're not the first that it has happened to (and won't be the last).

#429701 - 09/13/17 03:46 PM [RealBand] Re: Nothing recording but vu meters show inpur [Re: WDDT]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Set the MONO recording channel in Prefs to the Right side instead of Both L&R ... then you can use MONO tracks again.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® - Save as a Video!

A feature added with our Band-in-a-Box® 2015 release was the option to Save as Video. This feature is easy to use! When you're ready to save your song within Band-in-a-Box®, choose "Save as Video..." and adjut the settings if you'd like, then choose [OK - Render Video]. Once it's rendered, you can select the [Upload to YouTube], or take a look at your video first when you choose [Show Video File]. You can also choose to open this video file up in a different video program - it's your video file!

What does the video show? The chordsheet within Band-in-a-Box® just as you'd see it when the song is playing - don't worry though, the rendering of the song to video is MUCH FASTER than the duration of the song!

To see this in action, visit THIS LINK for our Support video.

Have you made a video of your song using this feature? Share it to our Forum!

User Tutorial - Band-in-a-Box® and Walking Bass Lines

Forum user edshaw has created some tutorials for Band-in-a-Box® and Walking Bass Lines that he has shared to our Tips and Tricks forum!

The tutorial has been split into three parts:
Part One - Using Band-in-a-Box®
Part Two - Walking Bass Line
Part Three - Demonstration

Thank you edshaw!

If you've created your own tutorials that you'd like to share, feel free to post them to our Tips and Tricks Forum! You can also send an email to marketing@pgmusic.com and we will post and share them here and on Twitter & Facebook!

Band-in-a-Box® Polish Tutorial - Sound Station

Our new Polish Distributor, Sound Station, is thrilled to be adding Band-in-a-Box® to their product line, and look forward to working with the program! They've just started with us, and have already created this Band-in-a-Box® 2017 Polish Tutorial: Video: Band in a Box 2017 TUTORIAL PL

My Favorite Things - User Feedback

Head to our My Favorite Things Forum to read what other program users love about Band-in-a-Box - or share your own list of favorite features!

Other program users have shared their favorite things about Band-in-a-Box already... like the Jukebox feature, how Band-in-a-Box improves live playing, the interactive PDF program manual, the convenience of the pre-installed hard drive, and more!

YouTube Find - Applying Jazz Guitar to the Blues

Jim Bryer uses Band-in-a-Box backing tracks within his YouTube videos, and we think he sounds GREAT!

Like this one: Video - Applying Jazz Guitar to the Blues.

Macworld Review - Hands on with Band-in-a-Box 2017

Keith White has just shared his Band-in-a-Box 2017 for Mac review with us: Hands on with Band-in-a-Box 2017

While working with the new Band-in-a-Box 2017 for Mac version, Keith spent some time using the enhanced Song Titles browser feature within the StylePicker - make sure you check out his song links to hear his results!

I have used Band-in-a-Box for over 20 years professionally and have found it one of the most professional and useful programs in my arsenal. The 2017 version takes a great program to new heights.

Pros: vastly improved user control of interface; fabulous range of new sounds from all over the world: useful improvements to Song Titles Browser and Style Picker.

Cons: (as usual) can you have too much of a good thing?
-Keith White, Macworld Australia

Review - Hands on with Band-in-a-Box 2017

Great YouTube Find - Big Little Boy with BIAB

We came across this great YouTube video shared by Kirk Olsen, titled Big Little Boy with BIAB, Digitech Vocalist Live 3 and TC Helicon Harmony GXT.

This is his first mix with Band-in-a-Box accompaniment - we think it's an AMAZING start!

Watch - Big Little Boy with BIAB...

Forum Stats
26405 Members
50 Forums
47479 Topics
386973 Posts

Max Online: 2283 @ 08/25/16 03:52 PM
Newest Members
tfruet, Mfaisalkhan, PGGS, nandini, wdeazdd

26404 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 133