You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#429456 - 09/11/17 12:16 PM [RealBand] Nothing recording but vu meters show inpur
WDDT Offline

I have a feeling I'm missing ONE tiny thing. At least I hope so.

Trying to record guitar to Real Band 2013 via the instrument input on my new Focusrite Scarlett Solo second generation. I can hear the guitar through the headphones, it registers on the Scarlett device (the monitor lights blink) and the vu meters on RB all show it's reading the input. But when I record the track, all that happens is, the background of the track changes from white to gold/orange -- no sound recorded at all. Recording from the mic input works fine.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Bill Dollison

#429479 - 09/11/17 04:27 PM [RealBand] Re: Nothing recording but vu meters show inpur [Re: WDDT]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
In RB go to Options-Preferences-Audio-Drivers button

Select the correct input driver .. sounds like you have the mic selected but expecting the USB to record.

There is also a Prefs button in recent versions to get there quicker.

To me it sounds like the wrong Audio Input Driver is selected.
After you select the correct one (Focusrite, which will likely require using ASIO Drivers) you should be able to record from that device. So in the Drivers area you may need to change from MME drivers to ASIO drivers to record the Focusrite USB signal. Most people have no problem when doing so.
If you do you can easily set it back to how it was.

The other option is to run an audio cable from the Focusrite's audio output to the computer's audio input ( again, the correct input Driver needs to be selected in RB, but in this scenario Windows may handle it for you), but if you go this route the quality of the Focusrite convertors is lost. Not the best option at all.

#429563 - 09/12/17 01:11 PM [RealBand] Re: Nothing recording but vu meters show inpur [Re: rharv]
WDDT Offline

Hi, rharv--

I'm not sure what needs to be done, so below is a Dropbox link to a screenshot of my Focusrite driver setup window. (I hope you're able to use it.) It looks to me like both inputs are already enabled, no? (And I have the ASIO set to Always Use.)

Driver images[/url] https://www.dropbox.com/s/dadsclsrr2gdu33/RB%20Drivers%201.jpg?dl=0

#429610 - 09/12/17 04:49 PM [RealBand] Re: Nothing recording but vu meters show inpur [Re: WDDT]
rharv Offline
Veteran

That looks right to me.
My next guess would be you don't have a section highlighted to record.

What are your From-Thru settings?
Are you on an available blank (Audio) track?

Do you have 'Record Audio too if track is a MIDI track' enabled? (can't record audio to a MIDI track even though audio signal would show in the input VUs ..

(there are few settings in Prefs that can affect what gets recorded when you hit record)

Something simple like that is likely the issue, then.
May be as simple as changing the selected Track Type to 'Audio' instead of 'MIDI'. (right-click the track and change type)
I think the default install makes new or additional tracks MIDI tracks (which won't record Audio), but this too can be changed in Prefs.

#429657 - 09/13/17 08:12 AM [RealBand] Re: Nothing recording but vu meters show inpur [Re: WDDT]
jford Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Also, if recording MONO, be sure that you have the correct channel side selected (there is a setting to choose whether to record what's coming in the left channel or right channel. If set to left channel, but your guitar is plugged into the right channel, you won't get anything.

#1-Win10Pro-64,8GB,7200RPM
#2-Win10Pro-64,16GB,SSDBoot,7200RPM
#3-Win7Pro-64,8GB,7200RPM
H/W: Onboard audio, FastTrack Pro, Casio Kbds
S/W: BB/RB2017/Sonar/Reaper/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/
NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web: http://www.sus4chord.com

#429672 - 09/13/17 11:54 AM [RealBand] Re: Nothing recording but vu meters show inpur [Re: jford]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
(Not to hijack this thread, but given your location, glad to see you posting, John)

BIAB, RB 2017(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#429675 - 09/13/17 12:24 PM [RealBand] Re: Nothing recording but vu meters show inpur [Re: WDDT]
jford Online   content
Veteran

Quote:
Not to hijack this thread, but given your location, glad to see you posting, John

I am fortunate in that my wife and I (and my parents) are on the panhandle of Florida at the far western end of Florida (about 30 miles from the Alabama state line). So we luckily dodged the bullet completely.

Our concern, of course, is whenever a hurricane crosses over from the Atlantic into the Gulf of Mexico (or just originates in the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico), picks up steam again, at which point it head's our way (relatively speaking and where it lands, who knows... Harvey in Houston, Katrina in New Orleans, Ivan in Pensacola, etc).

So even in a situation like Irma, we remain vigilant during hurricane season, as they are very unpredictable and can turn in a different direction on a whim.

Thanks for asking...

#429679 - 09/13/17 12:58 PM [RealBand] Re: Nothing recording but vu meters show inpur [Re: jford]
WDDT Offline

Brilliant! (as they say in Britcoms) Thanks, jford, that was the problem. And, not to belabor the point, but in case anyone has something similar, everyone's logic (except maybe RB's) was flawless. The Scarlett Solo has the mic input on the left and the instrument input on the right. So, it records to those channels discretely, in case you're recording 2 channels live. But the default Real Band setup only records the left channel when recording mono. So of course my mic recorded and my guitar didn't.

In the linked picture, Track 1 is my recording of the guitar -- track set to mono, like a good boy, but gold background, nothing recorded. Track 2 is recording the microphone with the track set to mono, but everything working fine. After I read your post, I tried recording the guitar in stereo and, as you can see, it came in on the right channel.

I haven't tried recording again, but as you can also see, I found the setting in the Audio Drivers window that uses both left and right channels as the input for mono recordings. (If it were up to me, I'd make this the default, rather than the left channel.)

Anyway, thanks again, all (and I, too, am glad your situation is comfortable enough to have checked the PG boards!)

Bill

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ll7s9b5i42kub8h/RB%20Audio%20Drivers.jpg?dl=0

#429682 - 09/13/17 01:09 PM [RealBand] Re: Nothing recording but vu meters show inpur [Re: WDDT]
jford Online   content
Veteran

Glad it worked out for you, Bill. But don't feel badly, you're not the first that it has happened to (and won't be the last).

#429701 - 09/13/17 03:46 PM [RealBand] Re: Nothing recording but vu meters show inpur [Re: WDDT]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Set the MONO recording channel in Prefs to the Right side instead of Both L&R ... then you can use MONO tracks again.

PG Music News
User Blog - How to Make a Band-in-a-Box Backing Track (with Melody) Using a Lead Sheet

Joanne Cooper's latest blog post Create a Band-in-a-Box backing track with melody from a lead sheet is the perfect read for anyone looking to do just that!

She thoroughly explains the process - from selecting the song, finding the lead sheet, picking a style, and more! Even if you're well versed with the program, be sure to read this blog post - you'll want to bookmark it and share it with anyone you know who's new to the program!

Thank you Joanne for sharing!

https://www.joannecooper.co.za/blog/blog/create-a-band-in-a-box-backing-track-with-melody-from-a-lead-sheet

Vote for Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - We've Been Nominated for a 2018 SOS Award!

We are still over the moon with being nominated as one of the Music Software products for the 2018 SOS Awards!

If you haven't had a chance to look over the nominees and place your vote, head to https://www.soundonsound.com/sos-awards - but hurry... the polls are only open until 23:59 PST on November 30th! (Winners will be annouced at the Winter NAMM show in January.)

The SOS Awards are held annually by Sound On Sound, these awards celebrate a number of products launched within the last year, including categories like Audio Interface, DAW, Guitar Technology, Music Software, and more - the winners are chosen by the readers, and people just like you! To learn more about the SOS awards, click here.

SOS voting rules are available here.

Sound On Sound Awards - a list of 2017 Winners.

The Beginners Forum - Great Tool for New Band-in-a-Box® Users!

If you're new to Band-in-a-Box®, and looking for a Forum just for you, check out the Beginner's Forum! This forum is the perfect place to post resources ideal for those starting with the program.

If you're not new to Band-in-a-Box®, that doesn't mean you can't join in the action! Pop over to the Beginners Forum to join in the discussion & share your knowledge too - we have a really supportive & helpful crew on the forums!

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=97&page=1

YouTube Find - COUNTRY ROADS John Denver Band-in-a-Box Backing Track Key G Major

Another great video has been posted by EricBlackmonGuitar, and he uses his Band-in-a-Box beautifully for creating the backing tracks - see for yourself!

YouTube Video - COUNTRY ROADS John Denver Band In A Box Backing Track Key G Major

My Favorite Things - Seemingly Unlimited Flexibility!

We receive user feedback many ways, including our Facebook page, by email or phone, using the Comments tab on our Band-in-a-Box® pages, the My Favorite Things Forum, and more!

Like the great feedback recently posted by Al-David:
"I write and play in quite a few different genres. The flexibility BIAB gives me makes transpositions, from one genre to another, so easy and quick. A number of times I've created a piece, intending it to be a Smooth Jazz or Smooth RnB song. But when I generated the song, it just didn't work in the intended genre.

With a simple click of the Style Picker ... BAM! The song ended up as a pretty decent Pop song. I only had to replace a couple of instruments from the new style and alter a couple of chords..."
(read the full thread here.)

Post your feedback to our Forum - My Favorite Things - we'd love to hear it!

Band-in-a-Box® 2017 Nominated for a 2018 SOS Award!

We're so excited that Band-in-a-Box® 2017 has been nominated as one of the Music Software products for the 2018 SOS Awards!

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to vote! If you haven't had a chance yet, you can vote here... (the polls are open until 23:59 PST on November 30th)

Winners will be announced at the Winter NAMM show in January, 2018.

What are the SOS awards? Held annually by Sound On Sound, these awards celebrate a number of products launched within the last year, including categories like Audio Interface, DAW, Guitar Technology, Music Software, and more - the winners are chosen by the readers, and people just like you! To learn more about the SOS awards, click here.

SOS voting rules are available here.

Happy National Saxophone Day!

Happy Birthday to Adolphe Sax, the creator of the Saxophone! Adolphe was born November 6, 1814 - 32 years later he pantended his saxophone creation!

Check our our Saxophonist programs for Windows:
The Jazz Saxophonist
The Rock Saxophonist

Plus, we have more than 180 Saxophone RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box by the following RealTracks Artists:
Eric Alexander
Eric Marienthal
Gary Smulyan
Jack Stafford
Jim Clark
Mark Douthit
P.J. Perry
Phil Woods
Tom Keenlyside

We have more than 30 different RealTracks Sets that include Saxophone RealTracks - for a complete list, click here.

Forum Stats
26610 Members
50 Forums
48269 Topics
395192 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
westwoodmiller, Gravino2017, abenitez, Jazzist, Johnny Boy

26609 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 230
Matt Finley 204