Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Side Effects

We first posted Side Effects two and a half years ago (man, it do fly). I remastered it and created a video last year but never re-posted it — actually I forgot about it smile

I’ve not thought much about pitching music but on a lark I recently uploaded some songs to songtradr.com. FWIW, I think they have an interesting business model (some info about them is at the bottom of this post).

A couple of weeks ago they posted a request from a film company that was looking for a “sensual, soft, jazz vocal driven track to replace Norah Jones.” I thought of this song and, what the heck, I uploaded it and submitted it for review. It got “shortlisted” by the ST staff and later was selected to be in their final songs to be submitted to the music director of the requesting company (where it can reside for some time as they often request songs far in advance). Will it get licensed by them? I very seriously doubt it. But we were stoked to “make the finals” given the thousands of submissions. I hope this doesn’t come across as horn tooting as it’s not at all… we thought the process might be of interest to the forum community.

And with the power of BiaB you could quickly create a production that meets an expressed need.

So….having gone through the above process I then realized I had not posted the video and, well, here it is. A little upbeat whimsy and If I haven’t worn you out, as always, we would love to hear from you. Thanks for your time.

Vocal: Janice/Rodes NT1/Blue Icicle USB/Logic Pro X
Guitar Lead: Tom Adams (www.tommyadamsmusic.com) Thanks Tom!!
Bass: RT 1392 Jazz Ballad SW Very Simple / Neutron
Piano R: RT 2167 Country Swing SW / Neutron / 140 EMT Reverb Sim
Piano Solo (fills): RT 2047 Country SW /Neutron / 140 EMT Reverb Sim
Drums: RD Blues Rock /Neutron / 140 EMT Reverb Sim
Guitar R: RT 566 Blues SW / Amp Sim via Logic Pro X / Neutron / 140 EMT Reverb Sim
(All RT's and the Drum Track were comped from multiple regens)
Mixing: Logic Pro X
Mastering: Ozone 7 Adv

Songtradr info:

As mentioned I think they have an interesting maybe unique business model. The basic plan is absolutely free for around seven song submissions per month (additional submission credits are dirt cheap). What separates them from the pack is that you can submit to the posted request that you think your music fits. They will accept unlimited songs from you as long as you own them and you don’t have to undergo a review process just to get it listed in their catalog. Post it, then submit to a requester, and then if you make it through the two tiers of Songtradr reviews it gets sent to the music director of the entity that requested, e.g., film, tv, advertising, etc. And the information you furnish allows those in need of music to find your song even if ST doesn't feature their request. On the free plan ST gets 30% if the song gets licensed. Google them and you can find positive press. But with startups they may be gone next week smile

They also request instrumentals. As with vocals BiaB is a wonderful tool for rapid creation of genre specific instrumental requests.

Side effects

I get side effects from you baby yes I do
Yeah they come from hanging round you
Maybe I should have read your label cause
When you're away they make me blue

I get side effects every time you walk by
They always make me feel oh so high 
My heart flutters when you catch my eye

I get side effects when I'm in your arms
They come on quick and set off my alarms
I get dizzy when you turn on your charms

I get side effects when you call me sweetheart
when you say I'm yours they always start
They run my temperature right off the chart 

Come on baby give me some side effects

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the re-post, I missed this first time around.

This is great, love the groove. Janice sounds wonderful as per usual, and Tom's playing is right on the money, also as per usual! Killer job on the mix too.

Thank for the head up on songtradr, looks like an interesting place, and cool that your song is in the running for a film! Best of luck with it.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Such a great listen! And cool video...

Everything you guys do sounds as pro as it gets.

Janice never misses a beat. (well, if course..)

Tom's playing in this is exceptional.

The mix and mastering are... masterful!

Hope this makes it all the way!!!

fj

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Wow, this is incredible! I can't stress enough how flawless of a vocal performance this is. Every note is hit perfectly, and there is so much soul behind it. I can absolutely hear where a Norah Jones comparison might come from.

Great work on this - thanks so much for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well congrats on having the song move towards a professional status. I think you and Janice have some songs that should be getting radio play they are that good.

This song is no exception. Super laid back tune. Sultry vocal and Tom's guitar work is exceptional..

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Bud and Janice,
Cute lyrics, great groove to the backing and, yes, that is a "sultry" vocal performance. I can hear why this would get the attention on songtradr ( your info is very informative and useful to many here).
Not blowing your horn at all- but you could with just about all your songs!
Best of luck in that final round.

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Thanks for the re-post, I missed this first time around.

This is great, love the groove. Janice sounds wonderful as per usual, and Tom's playing is right on the money, also as per usual! Killer job on the mix too.

Thank for the head up on songtradr, looks like an interesting place, and cool that your song is in the running for a film! Best of luck with it.

Thanks Dave. Glad you got a chance to check it out. I appreciate the mix comments. It was one that I thought would be worth a remix with the hope that I've undergone some sonic growth smile

J&B

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I was not with the company two years ago, so this is my first time hearing the song! I'm glad I got to hear it at all, and am really grateful that you reposted it.

It's such a smooth song, and when I think about the criteria you mentioned above for your entry—while your song was made before they put out the call—that criteria is all I can think about now!

Sensual; smooth; jazzy, just like you mentioned.

It's totally a perfect fit and I can see why you got short-listed. laugh That on its own is a great feat! Congrats. Can't wait to hear the next one, old or new!

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Congrats for going for it and hope it gets on!!! Terrific sound. Excellent job by all! BTW, I really like that rope heart that opens the video - small thing but it's really cool.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice, Bud & Tom

Song has been described so far as:
Killer, exceptional, masterful, pro, incredible, sultry, sensual, smooth & terrific.

That about sums it up for me!

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice, Bud & Tom,

Kudos! This is simply wonderful - pro all the way! Janet is always the best friend a song can have. Great picking by Tom, Janice sounds as classy as always and the mix has the "Bud" touch - and that's a good thing!

Good luck with the pitch and congrats on making to the final review. Several years ago I got a cut on a Gypsy Jazz documentary in the UK. It's quite a feather in your hat when that happens - and the money spends pretty good, too!

Best to you - sounds like a winner to me.

Alan

Last edited by Al-David; 09/21/17 12:06 AM.

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Such a great listen! And cool video...

Everything you guys do sounds as pro as it gets.

Janice never misses a beat. (well, if course..)

Tom's playing in this is exceptional.

The mix and mastering are... masterful!

Hope this makes it all the way!!!

fj

Support from "The Man" is indeed gratifying!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow, this is incredible! I can't stress enough how flawless of a vocal performance this is. Every note is hit perfectly, and there is so much soul behind it. I can absolutely hear where a Norah Jones comparison might come from.

Great work on this - thanks so much for sharing smile

Deryk, thanks for the time to listen and comment. Janice was all smiles when she read your comments! That was very nice of you and we appreciate it.

Bud

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
J&b, Tom, everything about this production is wonderful! Above all, Janice's vocal, IMHO, is this the best I've heard so far from you all! And that is saying something! The production doesn't get any better than this! Your mix couldn't be any better and Toms playing, well it just sounds great! Congrats on getting some buzz on this 'cause you deserve it! Take care, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I will repeat my comment on YouTube here:

such a cool song, vocals, solo guitar and very cool video! You guys did it again ;-

Rob

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds very pro

so nice and smooth, great guitar work in there

enjoyed the video, it added to the overall experience

super vocal, nice mix

first time I've heard it I believe

Enjoyed the listen!

Kenny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello, Janice & Bud, Tom

A very orthodox blues!
Janice's vocal has a tremendous expression.
Tom's guitar is also splendid.
Wonderful collaboration!
Great mix! I think Neutron is well active this time as well.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Well congrats on having the song move towards a professional status. I think you and Janice have some songs that should be getting radio play they are that good.

This song is no exception. Super laid back tune. Sultry vocal and Tom's guitar work is exceptional..

Thanks Scott and, yep, Tom nailed that guitar track. It really brought the whole tune to another level.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The usual high standard has definitely been reproduced again.

This is really neat, the song has class, with no side effects.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Expert
Expert

Excellent job. Congratulations to all of you.
Great video.

Sergio

Sergio
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,590
Posts734,781
Members38,502
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
cucahack, mandella, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365
38,501 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 189