Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Likely it will turn out as nearly everything else has that they tried to play catch up with.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If it happens, then based on that it looks like it would complement a DAW, not replace one.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That oughta be good... don't ya think?

I doubt I'll be dumping Sonar any time soon.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
While reading the article I thought it was strange that Cakewalk or Sonar was not described as a Windows only DAW when the article listed and linked to some DAWs.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
The spark for the article is from KVR. A great hangout place for all things computer music but not necessarily authoritative

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think many there do not hold SONAR in high regard. Don't know why.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
The article makes it sound exciting. It appears MS is aiming already at a hip hop generation, which is, exactly what SONY Acid and, to an extent, Garage Band did, initially, with their stacks of hypno loops and drum circle mixes.
Is this about Cloud applications? Gee, in a recent thread, here, we find that the technology and knowledge of the users of this forum is out of this world. The musicians here are not likely to be going to the iPad. Still, as a video hobbyist, one of my best works was done in MS Movie, on the run and pressed for resources. In the long run, it's too limited. (I use MS Paint all the time)
The thing that made me chuckle was the line, to the effect, that MS was sending a message that "they care about" musicians, too. I mean, you have to laugh. With the Cloud, it can care enough to sit around and watch everything people are doing.

Last edited by edshaw; 09/22/17 12:35 AM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I feel the same about gamers and graphic artists that MS claim they are helping on new versions of Windows.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I think many there do not hold SONAR in high regard. Don't know why.

Because everybody thinks what THEY use is the best DAW in the universe ever. And if they never learned Sonar, it just HAS to stink! And in most cases, what they use is whatever they could get for free. Note how many here tout "Bob's plugins" because they are free rather than spending money on Steven Slate's products.

I could list every DAW that I am aware of and tell you at least 2 people that I know who say it's the only thing anybody should use. The bulk of them are Pro Tools guys. Then Sonar. Then Samplitude. Then Reaper. Then Logic. And so forth. (Anybody remember Texture?)

My take on it, as a nerd from way back, is to learn as ms many different softwares of ANY ilk, be it word processors, spreadsheets, DAWs, browsers.... It's never a good place to become so myopic as to say "This one is the best because it's what I use." That is quite like a person of power saying "This is how it is because I say it is so."

Remember Ford vs Chevy? I once asked a Ford guy, after his 30 minute rave about Fords, "How many Chevies have you owned?" and his reply, which should have been a number, was more of his have about Fords, to include "I will never own a &@%^%$ Chevy." My reply was "That was not my question. My question asked how many Chevies you have owned. Your answer should have been 'zero', not more Ford praise. So to the bottom line, you can not say anything about Chevy from personal experience. Correct? Other than your opinion having only owned Fords?"

The same applies here. I don't remember who it was that pulled that attitude nonsense here about Reaper. Reaper is the best. Reaper is the easiest. Reaper not only lets you mix music but it will buy you lunch later and let you date it's sister!! I mean, use what you use, but don't try to tell me it is the best if you have never used anything else, because the absolute truth is that you can't use an absolute word like "best" if you have not tried every one out there. "Best FOR ME" I will give you, but a judgmental word like "best", no. As any good lawyer in the would would say "Objection. Calls for conclusion."

So Microsoft, have at it. I will continue to generate music in a music generating program (Real Band) and mixing it in my DAW of choice (Pro Tools). I don't want to introduce another piece of software for you to force update at your whim and folly and someday declare obsolete and stop supporting.

Last edited by eddie1261; 09/22/17 04:46 AM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well Reaper is the best for allowing you to evaluate it without taking your money, just a five second nag screen at start.

I have it on my computer and do update, haven't bought a licence because I don't use it to record. I do like Cubase for that.

On the above point alone there is no doubt about it,
"Reaper is the best by far"

Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Proving my point.....

Don't musicians anywhere make money that "free" is always the main concern? I paid $600 for my Pro Tools and it was worth every dime. It is absolutely elegant.

Last edited by eddie1261; 09/22/17 07:56 AM.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The best DAW is the one you thoroughly learn and has nothing to do with the brand name.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with Mario. If it does everything that you require, and you are comfortable with its features, it's the right tool for your job.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Agreed with both previous responses. I had used Adobe Audition for many years and I felt very well versed in it. I only switched to Pro Tools since Adobe abandoned MIDI.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

Note how many here tout "Bob's plugins" because they are free rather than spending money on Steven Slate's products.

I'm kind of taking offense to the "Bob's plugins" comment <grin>

As far as a DAW, at work I use anything from Audition to Reaper (it's installed on my machine). Sometimes I even take one of my external PGMusic drives in to use if I have to record something in, say, the conference room where no recording software is installed. That room has a nice sound card, and 30k+ monitoring system .. but no recording software.

Run what you brung (or what you have at your disposal).

Here at home I use whatever I feel like using, ie, what I think best suits the bill for the job.

I do hesitate to 'recommend' plugins that cost money, unless someone is looking to improve a plugin they already use.
In that case I'll be happy to share my experience with various paid plugins.
In other words, I often recommend the free options as a first alternative to make sure the effect is really what the user wants or is looking for. Hate to influence someone spending money only to realize it was not what they were after at all.
The exception is Ozone, but even then my recommendation usually includes a caution that before trying the free trial, expect to want to buy it.

Also, some free plugins are very good and not resource hogs .. others not so much.
An example (to me anyway) is Ambience reverb. The interface look is getting dated (not terrible though) but the options for control are well beyond many 'paid' plugins. I often turn to it before others I have bought.
It took a while to learn, but so do any of the the more complex paid plugins.

I guess it depends on what the need/request is.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
I agree with Mario. If it does everything that you require, and you are comfortable with its features, it's the right tool for your job.

Let me toss that devil's wrench into this one by using this analogy.

Let's say you use a word processor that does EVERYTHING you want it to do. And when you need to mail something to 100 people and personalize it by placing their name into line 3 where it says "That's why we are reaching out to you, Pete".... Sure you can edit it 100 times to change that name. But you can also buy Microsoft Word and use a feature called mail merge, where you set that name field up as a variable and have it go to your contacts list and import all 100 first names as it prints those letters.

Until that moment, you thought your word processor did everything you wanted it to do because you didn't know another one would do mail merge.

I remember being 8 years old before I knew you could make canned tomato soup with water because I never had it with anything other than milk.

Until I started using Pro Tools and saw how simple it is to work with subgroups, I didn't bother in Real Band because I find it clunky in Real Band.

Once again, people tend to learn what they already have and usually not explore beyond there "because it works". And at $600 for Pro Tools, I would not recommend anybody who has not been on Mixing for the rich and famous" to buy it just to try and and find the learning curve offputting. Had I not taken a course last summer I would still not know much beyond track by track top down mixing.

One thing that rises to the top of every software discussion is this. BIAB/RB, while is HAS a DAW, it is NOT a DAW. It is a music generation program. You can use the blunt end of your cordless drill to drive in a nail but it still isn't a hammer. RB is an outstanding product to do what it does, but I can't take a SEQ file to my engineer friend and say "Here. Mix this." until I export to wav files and bring it into Pro Tools. Pro Tools really is the industry standard and honestly, I think it was a bargain at $600!

That's just my devil's advocate moment for the day! Honestly, what others do does not affect me at all, so have at it. I will just toss my wish card on the pile that says "Micro$oft, stay in your lane. You make enough money with Windows and Office."

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

I remember being 8 years old before I knew you could make canned tomato soup with water because I never had it with anything other than milk.

Really?? Can you make it with water??. Well, I never... I'm gonna try that for sure.

Now, back to my WordPerfect, I've got some letters to write. wink

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I tried it with water - it SUCKS, I went back to WHOLE milk and cheesy Goldfish crackers, yum on a cold day!

I also tried margarine once and thought lard was just as good - I went back to real butter!

Larry

PS - two fingers of scotch on a cold day is a perfectly fine substitute for soup, actually I find scotch to be a good substitute for a lot of things grin

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Now, back to my WordPerfect, I've got some letters to write. wink

I go back to Wordstar!!! I remember how great I thought it was! Then came Wordperfect. Then later on in my IT life I had a week long training session on Word and learned how powerful it really was and it was like a light going on. Styles, mail merge, all the import options... for a serious word processor like the word processing department at the law firm where I worked it was great. Everything was in custom templates and such.

Going to be interesting having the ability to set up a studio in the RV when the muse tells me to. Now THAT is change!! Music with no off-gassing since the computers and all will run off the solar system!

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wodatar 3.3 (which came bundled with my Kaypro PC) had mailmerge, although as an add-on (as was the spell check dictionary - remember SpellStar?). It wasn't pretty, though. Glad we don't have to do dot commands anymore to format our documents.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yep.... Learn a DAW and use it.

However, there are certain DAW's that are better at things than others and not all have the same features and functions.

I like and use Sonar. It does what I need it to do for me and how I work and record.

If you use GarageBand, Logic, Cubase, or anything else and it works well for you, then that's all that should matter.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 09/25/17 03:19 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: sslechta
I feel the same about gamers and graphic artists that MS claim they are helping on new versions of Windows.

"We are from the government; we are here to help you."

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Off-Topic
T
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
T
Sounds like an interesting development to pay attention to from Microsoft, it could be something totally amazing or end up being totally useless.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: edshaw
"We are from the government; we are here to help you."

Soylent Green is people....

Steve

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,749
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191