Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
P

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Man, what a wild story! Never heard that before. And with Dusty Hill and Frank Beard involved too!

When "Time of the Season" first hit the radio, late 60's, I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever heard.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wow, that's amazing. "It was the 60's".

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Those chords on Tell Her No were amazing to a teenager learning to play guitar. And the song itself was a nice piece of writing. I played it in many bands.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've mentioned a few times over the years that I was on the road from 1969 through about 1975. I heard about all this stuff from agents, managers, club owners and players.

It's why I left the biz, sooo much BS. And drugs. And booze. And infidelity involving wives and girlfriends. It's kinda fun to talk about now but there's still a tang of disappointment in me too. I really, seriously was trying to make music my career but I just couldn't deal with all that. After I got off the road and became a weekend warrior I sold cars for about 20 years. Much cleaner business.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
I sold cars for about 20 years. Much cleaner business.

Where you only have to lie to one person at a time instead of a whole arena full?

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
After I got off the road and became a weekend warrior I sold cars for about 20 years. Much cleaner business.

Okay, Bob, that made me laugh out loud.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
What a fascinating read! I never about any of this prior, and admittedly I'm not familiar with their music - which I think will change after reading this. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Deryk
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Deryk, think about how many bands are out there who tour with one remaining member to dupe the people into thinking they are seeing the real product. For some time REO Speedwagon was Kevin Cronin and a bunch of guys he found in bar bands. They got a few back now, and one is dead, but it happens everywhere. One member leverages the name away from the other founding members, and runs with it. And then HE sells the name and the band goes on with NO original members. I did some shows with The Vogues in the early 90s. They had no original members, and only one 2nd generation member. But they owned the name!!

This story though is even more fun because of there never really having been a band.

Similar in concept to Tom Scholz creating that monster first album in his basement and calling it Boston. Then he ended up procuring a record deal and he had to build a band to go on tour so they could sell records. (IMHO, they were one of the worst bands live that I have ever seen.) Or The Monkees being TV guys who had to learn how to be a band. At least 2 of them knew how to play a little bit, but Dolenz actually had to take accelerated pace drum lessons from Hal Blaine so they could tour. And never DID set his kit up traditionally.

Funny stuff.

Last edited by eddie1261; 09/22/17 04:56 AM.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have always been a fan of Little River Band. I love their harmonies, melodies, and just their overall production value.

While there were a few personnel changes early on in the Little River Band, they still had a core group of musicians (Beeb Birtles, Graham Goble, David Briggs, Derek Pellicci and Glenn Shorrock - later replaced by John Farnham), you knew who they were.

However, there is now an ongoing dispute between the original members of Little River Band (even though they disbanded) and the current iteration, which features the later arriving American Wayne Nelson as the only member with an actual tie to the original Australian Band. It's essentially an American cover band playing the songs of the original Australian Little River Band, but because of legal issues, apparently Wayne Nelson now owns the rights to the name and tours as the original name: "Little River Band".

John

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
The band Yes over the past 20 years has been a constant state of flux and often two sets of former members touring simultaneously. The difficulty with them is that there were so many great musicians involved over the years. Now that Chris Squire has passed maybe it’s time that none of them tour as Yes.

This is happening right now with Wakeman, Jon Anderson, and Trevor Rabin touring apart from the supposed official current lineup that doesn’t include those guys.

What is Yes without Jon Anderson’s vocals and Chris Squires’ crunchy bass?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
What is Yes without Jon Anderson’s vocals and Chris Squires’ crunchy bass?

Exactly what Journey is without Steve Perry.....

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As older musicians all of us remember the glory of the original groups and what made them special. The general public doesn't feel that way, most do not understand any of that or maybe a little.

It's called show business, as in entertainment. All this stuff is merely behind-the-scenes inside baseball trivia the average fan knows nothing about. A business name is simply an asset that can be owned, bought or sold That's it. It's common for business partners to split and go their separate ways and there are disputes about who owns the name. Remember JBL and Altec Lansing? Arnel Pineda has become a big star in his own right and Journey is doing just fine from what I can see.

The bottom line is this, are these groups putting on a good show or not? Are they selling tickets or not? The dirty tricks this thread is about is ancient history, they can't get away with that any more.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The dirty tricks this thread is about is ancient history, they can't get away with that any more. Bob

They ARE getting away with it! Passing that tribute to itself that Journey has become as the original Journey is deplorable. Just because some legal posing makes it legal to use the name doesn't make the band Journey. They should be billing themselves any other way including "Former members of Journey". I saw a video of "Chicago" recently that included Pankow and Loughnane. The rest were subs, come lately types. Hanger on bands like that will NEVER see one dollar from me. (Though that is not a strong statement, as I am so tight I squeeze a nickle until the buffalo bleeds.) Chicago stopped being Chicago for me the day Kath killed himself. Journey isn't Journey without Perry any more than the Stones would be the Stones without Jagger.

Granted this facet of the discussion has veered from the topic of a band that never existed performing as a band name, but the basic principle is similar to making a car called a Fjord and selling it as a Ford. Remember the Chinese Gibson knockoffs called Gibsun with the U cleverly disguised to almost look like an O?

Maybe Journey should be called Jerney now.....

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jford
I have always been a fan of Little River Band. I love their harmonies, melodies, and just their overall production value.

While there were a few personnel changes early on in the Little River Band, they still had a core group of musicians (Beeb Birtles, Graham Goble, David Briggs, Derek Pellicci and Glenn Shorrock - later replaced by John Farnham), you knew who they were.

However, there is now an ongoing dispute between the original members of Little River Band (even though they disbanded) and the current iteration, which features the later arriving American Wayne Nelson as the only member with an actual tie to the original Australian Band. It's essentially an American cover band playing the songs of the original Australian Little River Band, but because of legal issues, apparently Wayne Nelson now owns the rights to the name and tours as the original name: "Little River Band".

John, some years ago Glenn Shorrock, Graham Goble & Beeb Birtles got together and toured as "Shorrock, Birtles & Goble - The Sound of LRB" (or something like that)
I believe it was just a one-off.

Cheers,
Keith
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
so many bands and groups have done this and are doing this.

Platters, Steppenwolf, and so many others... I think at any given time there are several versions of the Platters touring. all they need is one original member who may have only been in the original band for a few weeks. Yet they tour under the banner and name of the original band.

Interesting story regarding the 96 Tears band..... there was a guy who came to our town, had a day job there. Put an ad in the paper..."looking to start a touring band... have connections"... several of us saw it and called. we met in this guys living room, jammed a bit and he said it sounded really good and we could make a ton of money. claimed he was the singer for that song 96 Tears. Problem was, the guy couldn't sing and didn't want to talk about his connections except to say he "knew people" but didn't have the funds for a PA or lights and didn't know the local club owners where we could gig to tighten up the music.

needless to say, no one went to jam a second time and the guy ended up moving on to a new town.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
interesting article! I had to laugh at the part where the scammer complained about the musicians who ripped him off every chance they got! all the while he's paying them factory worker wages and booking them 7 days a week.

Regarding the issue of "the real band", I think musicians tend to see this differently than the general public. The average person just wants the "experience" of hearing his/her memories revived on stage. That's why tribute groups tend to fare better than garden variety cover groups. The tribute groups focus on delivering an authentic-sounding "experience" replicating one band's sound.

But for the musician who may have idolized an original artist and maybe even imitated his playing style, there is little /no appeal to watching an impostor.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
They ARE getting away with it! Passing that tribute to itself that Journey has become as the original Journey is deplorable. Just because some legal posing makes it legal to use the name doesn't make the band Journey.

Are you kidding? They're not "passing" anything, everybody knows who's who and as far as "legal posing", tell that to Neil Schon.

You're a homeowner. What would you tell someone who said you don't own that house you're just "posing" that you own it? I'm sure your answer couldn't be posted on this forum.

From an artistic POV and you preferring the original sound of Journey, fine that's a valid opinion but legally? They have every right and in the context of this thread they're not trying to scam anyone and they're not hiding anything. And neither is Chicago and lots of other bands. When you start talking about the Platters, the Inkspots and other doowop groups...well that's been an industry joke for like 30 years and counting.

How about Tower of Power? Look at their 40th anniversary show featuring everyone still living who's ever played in that band and it's like 30 people or something. Far from hiding anything, they're celebrating how killer all those players are. How about Santana after Greg Rollie left? You can make an argument that he was the creator of Santana's sound not Carlos himself.

Just because someone dies or decides to move on doesn't mean that somehow the whole band has to die with them. How about all the changes to the Allman Brothers over the years?

To go even further back how about the Ellington big band or the Buddy Rich band? Other leaders have taken over those bands using the original charts and as many original players as they can. I really like those Buddy Rich shows featuring the best modern drummers like Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Tommy Igo, Dave Weckl and so many others. They're awesome shows produced by Rich's daughter. Of course with Rich and Duke gone those bands are not the same but they're still perfectly valid groups both legally and ethically.

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
this thread reminds me of discussions we've had about using backing tracks to perform with. My take on that is based on the kind of songs being performed.

If the song's merit is based on virtuoso musicians playing licks you can't play, then it's pretty lame to play a backing track of their amazing performance while you sing karaoke to it. But...

If the appeal of the song is the story or the melody or the memories, most audiences will accept your version of the story all day long. If that wasn't true, most of us would never have made a dime playing other peoples' songs...

I recently dined at a restaurant where a female singer-guitarist played a set of classic songs by Bonnie Raitt, Janis Joplin, and other well known femal artists. She was maybe a little better than open mic quality as performers go... but the patrons received her performance VERY enthusiastically because the songs stand on their own merit, regardless of who is presenting the performance.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You're a homeowner. What would you tell someone who said you don't own that house you're just "posing" that you own it? I'm sure your answer couldn't be posted on this forum.

Almost a good analogy. It falls apart at the point where I don't charge people many hundreds of dollars to look at my house.

Sometimes "original members" as pertinent as "who was the thumbprint of the band". Feel free to pay $200 to see Journey with the Asian guy if you would enjoy it. I can go to a local bar here in Cleveland and see "Open Arms", a tribute with a better singer than this replacement part and a guitarist that can copy Schon note for note, for free. I DON'T, but I could.

As far as your TOP reference, as long as Lenny, Kupka and Emilio are playing, that would be something I MIGHT do if I still went out and did such things. Vito Sanfilippo and Lee Thornburg are from here and I know them both, so there is a more personal connection there, but even then.... It would be better if Mic Gillete was there, and Bruce Conte, and Garibaldi. As we all get old and they start to die off it doesn't mean the same thing to me. Which one of them is dead, Greg Adams? According to Wiki, they list 55 players in their history!!

So as usual, this is just my opinion. Note that I also passed on free Eagles tickets the last time they toured. See whoever you like. I just won't run into you there.

2. Send it to us.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,072
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185