Print Thread
Go To
#430897 09/23/17 11:47 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi family:

When I attach my audiophile hardrive to my Surface Pro laptop (windows 10 pro), it shows up as being on the "E" drive. But when I try the same thing on a new Dell XPS desktop w/windows 10, "E" is NOT available! I've tried all the "fixes" from the internet, but to no avail. Thanks, JZ

Having fun!
Veteran
Veteran
Is it that it's not E: or that it's a different drive letter or that you don't see it at all?

If it's seen by Windows, but just a different drive letter, you can go into drive management and reassign drive letters. I do this all the time. Let us know and we can talk you through it.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Yes, John . . . When I plug BIAB into the new computer, it does not show "E" at all; as if, NOT available! Keeps putting it on "F". I even tried to accept that and went into BIAB prefs to change everything to "F", but BIAB wouldn't do it! Thanks. JZ

Having fun!
Veteran
Veteran
That's because something else has already claimed the E: drive. Perhaps a DVD drive or another USB or even a memory card reader.

If you need to make the BIAB drive be E: (to keep things consistent), then you need to rearrange the assigned drive letters. And once you do, Windows remembers it (usually).

Click on the start button and type Computer Management and select it when it comes up. In the computer management screen, select Disk Management. From there you can reassign all you drive letters. Find whatever is using E: and assign it something else. Then assign your BIAB drive as E:.

Last edited by jford; 09/23/17 02:42 PM.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Along the lines of what John said, I select a letter that's further up the alphabet (like T), so Windows does not bump it when I attach other devices. It is also always the same letter from computer to computer.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Johnny, you've seen me write that we all have to become computer nerds to work with this stuff. This is a perfect example.

Windows 101: Each system is different. Windows assigns the drive letters according to what is part of THAT SYSTEM ONLY. Just plug in a USB thumb drive and you'll suddenly see it pop up as whatever the next available drive letter is. Of course when you plug the drive into a different system it's assigned a different drive letter. Perfectly normal.

In my case the PG hard drive is J on my system because I have two other external drives connected through a powered USB hub. One time I disconnected one of those drives to plug into a friends computer and shut mine off. When I rebooted the PGM drive now showed as I. Why? Because the drive I disconnected was the "I" but I removed it so now the PG drive is I. Rather than reassigning it inside Biab I plugged my other drive back in and disconnected the PG drive and rebooted. Now that drive is I. Then I plugged in the PG drive and it was automatically assigned the next drive letter which is J.

Simple once you become the nerd that so many on these forums don't want to be. "Hey, all I want to is play music," blah, blah. How many times have we seen that around here?

Sorry to sound like your 6th grade teacher but you must understand how your computer works too.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Matt: Then can I then "change" the drive letter to "E" somehow? The reason being that when I go into BIAB prefs, it won't let me change where the drums and realtracks are. I used to be able to do that, but alas . . . !

Having fun!
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
You can, but don’t choose E. Windows allocates drive letter assignments in ascending order. If you connect a BIAB drive to more than one machine, you are better off using a ‘high’ letter.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Yes, I am becoming more "nerdy"! Ha! Ha!

Having fun!
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
The reason being that when I go into BIAB prefs, it won't let me change where the drums and realtracks are. I used to be able to do that, but alas...

Now this is a completely different problem from Windows misassigning the drive letter to your external drive. You should be able to tell BIAB where the RTs and RDs are. However, you have to do it correctly for it to work. Are you not even getting the dialog box to do so?

You should be able to open RealTracks Preferences and check the box that says "Use a custom folder location for the RealTracks". You can then select the folder where your RealTracks are located (on the external USB, assuming the E: drive, it would be "e:\BB\RealTracks"). There is a similar setting for RealDrums in the RealDrums preferences. There, the location would be "e:\BB\Drums".

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
RealTracks Preferences.jpg (77.19 KB, 55 downloads)

John

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Wow, OK. I’ll try the “T” letter next, then try to assign the drums and RealTracks to same! Be back in a couple of days. Thanks guys.

Having fun!
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hang in there!

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hey guys! Problems solved! Matt: That "T" drive thing worked perfectly. Now each of my computers has BIAB on the "T" drive. And John, you too were right on; The program then saw "by itself" that I had installed BIAB on the "T" drive . . . It was like magic! All the drums and tracks read automatically and perfectly from that drive. Finally, A New and Hilarious problem: Be sure, that when you are installing the program onto a new machine, that you unfreeze "frozen" tracks and refresh them, or you may think your audio card is NOT working!!!! Ha! Ha! That one took me a frustrating hour to figure out! "Just unfreeze the tracks and refresh "dodo"; they'll all start to play like they just received their paychecks! Ha! Thanks everyone for all your sacrificial and appreciated input. Back to "Having Fun", JZ

Having fun!
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Johnny, I taught computer science, and all I can say is this stuff catches me, too.

I'm glad you're still "having fun".

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Ha! That's so neat, computer science!! Well, with all this that's been happening, along came the other day, and I couldn't play in tune with one of the tracks till I remembered . . . "I was on a "C" trumpet!!!

Having fun!
Veteran
Veteran
Did you change the drive letter from C to B-flat and it all popped in? smile

John

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Johnny, I have trumpets pitched in Bb, C, D, Eb, F, G and A and often have more than one on the stand. The C and Bb together is the worst because they look so alike on the stand that I used to reach for the wrong one. I solved it by putting the gold-plated mouthpiece on the C, and the regular silver on the Bb. Still gets me once in awhile.

Mac, a former poster on this forum, told one of the funniest C / Bb trumpet stories here that I ever heard. As first trumpet in an all-something orchestra, he had a Bb trumpet. The conductor said, wouldn't that sound better on a C? So he reached down with his horn, took out the mouthpiece, passed the horn under his seat, replaced the mouthpiece, and played the same Bb horn. The conductor said, "Much better!".

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Ha! Ha! Yes, John. . . . that would have worked too!!!!! ha!

Having fun!
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Matt and "experienced" group! Here's one the Welk musicians will NEVER forget. Lawrence walked in one day to rehearsal and asked Richard Maloof, our bass player, if THAT was the same bass he had been playing during the morning set? Richard said . . "Oh yes, Lawrence"! "It's the same one"! Lawrence replied . . . "I donn tink so Richard"! "Dis one has "too many nodes" on it"!

Having fun!
Veteran
Veteran
Ha! smile

John

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199