Print Thread
Go To
#43085 11/19/09 07:29 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
raymb1 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm shopping for a Win 7 laptop. Is the 64 bit OK? I'll be getting one with 4GB RAM and at least 250 GB hard drive. Would like suggestions on different brands. I've been using Dell for many years with no problems except those I caused myself. Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
raymb1 #43086 11/19/09 09:32 AM
Expert
Expert
Hi Ray,

At the moment the 64 bit does not have a complete range of drivers etc and although I would love to have it I have stayed with 32 bit for the time being - I feel that it is essential you get the best spec in HD and Ram

I have a new Acer Aspire 32 bit - I am using Windows 7 Home Premium and it is working like a dream with BIAB etc and so much better and faster than XP or Vista.

This is how Windows should have been to follow XP - sheer enjoyment to use - what a difference from the bloated and cumbersome Vista which only brought a more solid operating invironment

The only area you have to look at is if you have older programs/devices that you wish to use on your new machine - either get W7 driver updates or where not available yet run them in XP SP3 compatibility mode

I do not think that there is much difference between the leading brands and previously I had an HP for many years without problems
jazzman

BIAB - RealBand - 2022
Windows 10 64
Zoo computer with 7i processor- SSD 1TB -2TB HDD
Roland keyboards
Jazzman #43087 11/19/09 10:06 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I'm also staying with 32-bit for awhile, because of the driver issue. In another year, things may be different. In 32-bit, you will be able to use only a little more than 3 GB of your 4 GB RAM; the system reserves some of it. This is not a problem in a 64-bit OS, however.

Windows 7 has run perfectly for me since May. I had no trouble at all with any devices that had Vista drivers. I have never had to use XP compatibility mode (which I think is only available on the Professional or Ultimate versions).

There is one trick involving the legacy firewire driver, rather than Windows 7 default. If you have firewire devices, I can elaborate.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Matt Finley #43088 11/19/09 11:09 AM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If you intend to use the machine for music recording work, do your web study and research carefully about whatever Sound Device you intend to use. Make sure that there are drivers for Win7 for that device, make sure that the drivers are stated as being written for the 32 or 64 bit. I would go with the 32 bit right now also, as there seems to be more device -- and program -- compatability with it at the moment. -- Especially if you want to use freebies like plugins, etc. as they are mostly all 32 bit anyway. For example, the VSC MIDI synth that ships with BIAB works on 32 bit but does not work on 64 bit. There are MANY other examples out there. Most of those freebie VST and VSTi plugins are 32 bit. Sure, there are some "wrappers" to be found that purport to allow use of them on the 64 bit system, but why have that extra layer of complication?

--Mac

Mac #43089 11/19/09 11:37 AM
raymb1 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for the advice. Currently looking at an ASUS notebook-4GB RAM-320GB hard drive and 32 bit. Read that the reliabililty factor for ASUS was better than other PCs and Mac. Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
raymb1 #43090 11/19/09 03:13 PM
Expert
Expert

Well, I’m going to admit to some stupidity here.
I really wasn’t aware that there was a 64-bit Windows 7 Premium Home Version. (I guess that’s what the “Premium” means. )
I just knew it was time for me to get a new PC and I just ordered whichever Dell fit my intended budget and specs.

The 64-bit version has two different Program Files folders. So, I will assume there is some kind of Virtual Machine type stuff going on there or some “compatibility” mode for those things that might not work under 64-bit.

Whatever it is, FWIW I have had (knock on wood) no problems whatsoever with any of my devices or drivers with the 64-bit version.

Last edited by FirstBassman; 11/19/09 03:14 PM.
raymb1 #43091 11/19/09 03:14 PM
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi everybody

a "side"question about W7: few days ago I've bought an ACER laptop, still with Vista as OS, but with the possibility to receive for free a copy of W7 setup disk. Of course I've requested this upgrade to W7, but I don't know when it will arrive.

The question: can I setup BIAB and RB now, and they will be "seen" after I will upgrade to W7, OR will I have to install BIAB and RB again after the upgrade? In other words, is it better to install BIAB and RB only after the upgrade to W7?

Thanks in advance

Ciao
Alfredo

alfstone #43092 11/19/09 03:21 PM
Expert
Expert

Alfredo,

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I'd just like to offer my two cents on something -

I am a firm believer in never doing in-place operating system upgrades.
That was the thing to do long ago but I feel there are too many chances for things to get messed up.

If buying equipment now, IMHO, it should already come with Windows 7 installed.

~ Mark

alfstone #43093 11/19/09 03:40 PM
Expert
Expert
Hi Alfredo,

It is still safe to do an "in place" upgrade providing it is a like for like version - i.e Vista Home Premium 32 bit to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit.

Windows 7 puts everything except for the OS to one side and then re-loads them at the end

I upgraded as above with BIAB and RB previously installed and it worked perfectly without any re-install - just make sure that you do a Disk Clean and Defrag before starting the process

jazzman

BIAB - RealBand - 2022
Windows 10 64
Roland keyboards
Matt Finley #43094 11/19/09 03:49 PM
Expert
Expert
Hi Matt,

Windows 7 will run compatibility mode side by side in the two versions you mention in your post - but the Home Premium version still allows you to run old items in compatibity mode in XP and Vista

jazzman

BIAB - RealBand - 2022
Windows 10 64
Roland keyboards
Jazzman #43095 11/19/09 03:59 PM
raymb1 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I should have mentioned that I use BIAB for backing tracks only. Mostly Real Bass and Real Drums. So would 64 bit or 32 bit make a difference? Later, Ray

raymb1 #43096 11/19/09 04:16 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

So would 64 bit or 32 bit make a difference? Later, Ray

No.

Assuming all things are working, and driver quality is equivalent, the choice of OS should not affect the audio quality.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Matt Finley #43097 11/19/09 04:45 PM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
"Mostly" RealTracks and RealDrums

Well, if you are intending to use the VSC, for MIDI instruments or for Rendering, you should go for 32 bit.

--Mac

raymb1 #43098 11/21/09 12:17 PM
raymb1 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Just read this on the ASUS website: <More compatible - Excited about using Windows® 7 64-bit, but concerned about compatibility issues for all the software you own? Fear not, because Windows® 7 64-bit features the WOW64 sub-system which allows you to run 32-bit applications on Windows® 7 64-bit. What's more, you can even run software previously compatible with Windows® XP** as well, which means nothing goes to waste!>

Would I have anything to worry about BIAB on one of these notebooks? I'm planning on using only Real Drums and Real Bass on all of my tracks. Later, Ray

raymb1 #43099 11/21/09 12:55 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I bought a HP laptop earlier this year, dual core AMD, Vista 32 bit Home Premium. I yanked the Vista off it and put 64 bit Windows 7 RC on it (will eventually get the full version, once it's back in the MS Employee Store supply) and I've had no issues with it.

As to the VCS DXi, it didn't work on Vista 64 bit either, so that, in my opinion, is a moot point. But, then again, I don't run some VSTi plug ins. However, Cakewalk plug ins, Coyote Forte DXi plug in, and a lot of others I have no issue running them on a 64 bit system.

So, Ray, Asus is good, Acer is great (I have a netbook of theirs, I love it), I like my HP and I recommend multi-core, 64 bit CPUs and OS's.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Gary Curran #43100 11/23/09 01:29 PM
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi everybody

Mark and Jazzman, thanks for your answers. One more "side" question about this topic, probably slightly OT: having an external sound card, and waiting for the W7 setup CD arriving, if I setup the audio card (Edirol UA25EX) right now (with Vista as OS) then, after installing W7, should I setup again the Edirol with its W7 drivers, or will it be recognised "as it is" in W7 too?

Ciao e grazie!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195