Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I have some audio tracks recorded in the key of "F" to a 60 BPM click track at 2/4. Both the RealBand and Band-in-a-Box Audio Chord Wizard (ACW) interpret the audio as 120 BPM at 4/4.

I've tried setting BPM, key signature and time signature in both RB and BiaB prior to clicking on the ACW icon but I can see the first action both programs performs is to return the values to default (140-4/4-C) and then open the ACW window. I assume ACW then reads the defaults as starting calculation values.

I know I can manually set ACW bpm, manually set key and time signatures and tell ACW to recalculate using half time but I shouldn't have to if I set values in the programs. So I'm just trying to get a better handle on what's going on and determine if I may have found an ACW operational glitch. Will somebody confirm what I'm seeing? +++ HERE +++ is a copy of the audio file I'm working with.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
I don't think ACW looks at your BIAB settings, because it's job is to look at the WAV file and figure out the tempo, key, and chord progression of the WAV file. And yes, sometimes you have to adjust half or double time when it doesn't get it right, as well as key signature and chords. Then, you can send that information back to BIAB to set BIAB accordingly (which may result in a tempo map that changes every bar). But the WAV file ACW receives does not have any of that information in it.

Tempo is determined by looking where the "beats" in the WAV file form are. It's up to you to verify it (through the use of setting bar 1 and using F8 to tap out each beat, for example). It might be what you set in the main program interface, or it may be something completely different. When you leave ACW, you have the option of sending the new information back to BIAB (or not, in which case the BIAB generated music will not line up properly with the WAV file).

That being said, maybe you should make a wish list item to perhaps change the behavior (but it should also be able flag it if it thinks you set it wrong based on what it then finds in the WAV file).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
There are times when you know a lot of information about an audio file but there might be additional information you're seeking. In this case I know key signature, time signature and beats per minute. I hoped that by providing what information I know, the information ACW returns will be more accurate. My observation is that did not happen in this case.

I like to determine if my observations are correct before I make a wish list request.

Since both Band-in-a-Box and RealBand have the Audio Chord Wizard tool, which wishlist forum section would be best to post a request in?

Veteran
Veteran
I think they share the common code base, so I'm pretty sure if it goes in one, it'll make it in the other. Or just enter it in on wishlist and then reference the first in the second. Either way will get to them.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Jim,

I had a listen to your backing track and ACW's interpretation seems legitimate to me. Because it analyses the wav file, it's picked up the bass-chord-bass-chord strum and has made a guess that these events occur on the beat. This is a reasonable guess.

When I tapped the time of the strum in BIAB, the program came up with 120.

Since you created the file, you are aware that it's only the bass that's on the beat and that the chord comes between beats and hence gives a tempo of 60 bpm. ACW, on the other hand, doesn't have this insider's knowledge. As John says, this is a case where human intervention is needed to help ACW.

In relation to 2/4 versus 4/4... that's a tough one. Since the same total number of notes are played in each time signature when they are set to the same tempo, it's not always easy for anyone to identify the writer's intent regarding which time signature was used. For example 60 bpm in 2/4, 3/4 or 4/4 means that 60 quarter notes are played in a minute and this is independent of where the bar line sits to group the notes.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, I suppose you could call it a bug, if you expect it to behave as you describe.

In my experience, when the ACW first opens there is a pop up asking if you want to preserve the tempo/bars and just calculate the chords .. maybe this is what you are missing?
Sometimes RB pop ups appear and we brush them off, when they can be an important key to the performance .. or expected performance.

I'm not sure if the same pop up occurs in BiaB, but I'm pretty dang sure it occurs in RB, unless this changed recently (very doubtful).
I know there are posts of mine referencing this pop up, so next time you try it, see if you are missing that somehow.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
ACW-preserveBars.jpg (90.86 KB, 37 downloads)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I just tried it again. My steps were: 1) Open RealBand. RealBand opens as an untitled project with key of "C", 120 BPM and 4/4 time signature. 2) Press ACW button. Window opens to last used folder. 3) Select audio file and press okay. File loads into track 1 of RealBand. Information window states ACW is analyzing file, ACW window opens and is populated.

Rharv I didn't see the question window on your screenshot.

2nd try. My steps were: 1) open RealBand. RealBand opens as an untitled project with key of "C", 120 BPM and 4/4 time signature. 2) Use F3 (Open) command. Window opens to last used folder. Select audio file. Audio file loads to track 1. 3) Set key to "F", tempo to 60 and time signature to 2/4. 4) Select ACW button. Small ACW information window opens with "Open audio file" selected so change selection to "use existing file" and press Enter. 5) Window asks if want tempo map or just chord sheet. The key was correct (F) but ACW did not capture 2/4 time signature or 60 BPM.

It seems I must use F3 "Open" to import the file in order to get the question window. ACW captures the song key signature setting but does not capture song tempo or time signature settings.

If I let ACW import the file I don't get the question window and none of the song settings are captured.

The Audio Chord Wizard operates inconsistently depending on how the audio file is imported.

Noel, ACW gave me the same settings as it gave you. I agree human intervention is needed to obtain the correct settings. However if you provide the settings to RealBand prior to importing the audio file into ACW, and depending on what steps you take to import the audio file into ACW, the key signature setting may or may not be ignored while tempo and time signature settings are always ignored.

I dislike inconsistent operation. Inconsistent operation makes it difficult to obtain consistent results.

Thanks everyone for your replies. It was a great help toward verifying my initial impressions.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Detect Window.jpg (219.11 KB, 32 downloads)

Veteran
Veteran
Strange, I get that question every time I open ACW.
Using the button (icon) works the same.

I don't think I've ever not seen that pop up right after the audio imports.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,468
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195