You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#369001 - 10/07/16 11:15 AM [UserTracks (and other add-ons)] Does a contemporary jazz soloist template exist?
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Apologies if this is common knowledge, but I've never had the time to research UserTracks creation very much. Some posts today got me interested.

For a UserTrack of jazz flugelhorn soloing to be useful to me and perhaps others, I think I would have to make a template of a BIAB song that would best have me record over almost all possible changes and keys. With extensions like b9, #9, 11, 13 and Alt chords and their combinations, in progressions, this would be a pretty long song, wouldn't it? I wouldn't want my style defaulting to playing major, minor, sus, augmented and diminished chords only, but instead get into the upper extensions and modes.

If my assumption is correct, has anyone made such a song template?

Thanks.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac Pro]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#369007 - 10/07/16 12:33 PM [UserTracks (and other add-ons)] Re: Does a contemporary jazz soloist template exist? [Re: Matt Finley]
Veteran

OK, after doing some research and receiving some wonderful tips from Frank (Seeker), I think what I need is a jazz version of this supplied Pop music template:

Pop UserTracks 30 minute template.zip

More detail: In the PG Music tutorial http://www.pgmusic.com/usertracks1.htm they have a Pop 1 minute and a Jazz 1 minute. But for the 10, 20 and 30 minute templates, there is only one for Pop, not for Jazz. The 30-minute Pop template says it has some jazz chords, but I need more extensions (even if the template has to be longer).

Is this a Wishlist item?

Thanks.

BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac Pro]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#369915 - 10/13/16 10:03 PM [UserTracks (and other add-ons)] Re: Does a contemporary jazz soloist template exist? [Re: Matt Finley]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

You have a good ear Matt, you can chord out a RealTrack Jazz Soloist to create a template:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=203498

#370054 - 10/14/16 08:42 PM [UserTracks (and other add-ons)] Re: Does a contemporary jazz soloist template exist? [Re: Matt Finley]
Veteran

Oh - I see what you mean. Thanks.

#373355 - 11/06/16 01:18 PM [UserTracks (and other add-ons)] Re: Does a contemporary jazz soloist template exist? [Re: Matt Finley]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
This is a very interesting discussion. I think the key to a Soloist RT is the link between a certain phrase and the underlying chord. I've heard some RT Soloists play basic pentatonic phrases over all kinds of complex extensions. Other times there will be something like a Gb9#5 chord and all the soloist does is play one note until the next chord change so obviously there is nothing there that encompasses that chord. This is just an observation, I have no idea how that chord/soloist link actually works.

Many of the midi soloists are much better than the RT soloists except of course for the overall sound quality and live nuances that's missing from midi. But as far as actual notes are concerned the midi soloists really do follow the changes better than the RT soloists do.

I think the reason for that is the file size limitation of the RT's. The RT artist would have to play so many different variations that the file size would be too big while midi can keep scrambling and creating note phrases almost endlessly. I say I think because it's just a guess.

Bob

#373364 - 11/06/16 02:51 PM [UserTracks (and other add-ons)] Re: Does a contemporary jazz soloist template exist? [Re: jazzmammal]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

RapidComposerLE is great for fitting midi anywhere you like.
It will read the chords from BB Chord Output midi and give you the same chord sheet as BB.

Attachments
RC_Midi_Rearrange.gif (1165 downloads)

#374575 - 11/16/16 07:04 PM [UserTracks (and other add-ons)] Re: Does a contemporary jazz soloist template exist? [Re: Matt Finley]
Veteran

I can see a use for that, Pipeline, thanks.

Bob, I believe you understand what I'm asking; the soloist who vamps on a whole note because that particular chord extension wasn't in the song used as a template. I think you are correct based on an early experience I had with RealTracks: I discovered that one piano part didn't know what a minorMajor7 chord was, so every time I wrote that chord, the piano stopped playing for that measure. After I reported it to PG Music, they released a patch and it was fixed. It could have been miscoded, or maybe there really wasn't a recording snippet of that chord type - we don't know.

This is why I originally asked about the need for a jazz template song with all the chord types.

#385946 - 12/23/16 12:28 PM [UserTracks (and other add-ons)] Re: Does a contemporary jazz soloist template exist? [Re: Matt Finley]
Tommyc Offline
Veteran

I love reading what the smart folk post! I have avoided some chords because of what the soloist played. Great Post

#386005 - 12/23/16 07:04 PM [UserTracks (and other add-ons)] Re: Does a contemporary jazz soloist template exist? [Re: Matt Finley]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Matt,

I'm wondering, what if you found a style you believe could be enhanced with a jazz flugelhorn solo and identified the RealTracks used in the style.

Then you could take one of the Realtracks and run ALL the wave files through the Audio Chord Wizard. The Audio Chord Wizard can "build" the chord sheet or at least help you determine what chords that RealTracks instrument provides.

Once you have a chord sheet you can more easily determine what solo is appropriate.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#387495 - 12/31/16 10:05 AM [UserTracks (and other add-ons)] Re: Does a contemporary jazz soloist template exist? [Re: Matt Finley]
Veteran

Thanks, Jim. This is one of many things that fell way down on my to-do list. Perhaps next year.

#431346 - 09/26/17 05:08 PM [UserTracks (and other add-ons)] Re: Does a contemporary jazz soloist template exist? [Re: Matt Finley]
MarkAlan Offline

For making Jazz User Tracks, please do create a far more complex set of chords. I fell in love with BIAB because it had such a strong emphasis on jazz, salsa, blues, etc. However, making a user track is meaningless, unless the "training" template contains the many variations that you'd find in, e.g. the Jazz Real Books. Without a 9th, maj9th, flatted 9th, etc, one can't really create a useful jazz user track.

Since there's even an excellent video on making your own user tracks, a user gets a sudden disappointment when trying to do so. Since it makes sense to have this done in the same way the Pop User Track Templates were done, please DO get to this (I invested the $1k, & keep it up to date each year). It would make NO sense for each user to create their own TEMPLATE files, since each person who wants to use this feature for Jazz will re-invent the wheel!

The quality of BIAB is now rather impressive; please keep it moving to a better & better product!

#431384 - 09/27/17 06:53 AM [UserTracks (and other add-ons)] Re: Does a contemporary jazz soloist template exist? [Re: MarkAlan]
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
MarkAlan

A great first post and welcome to the forum.

This request might also get better attention in the Wishlist section of the forums.

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#431429 - 09/27/17 02:35 PM [UserTracks (and other add-ons)] Re: Does a contemporary jazz soloist template exist? [Re: VideoTrack]
MarkAlan Offline

Thanks, I posted a very similar item about adding Jazz-specific User Track templates to the User Track Wishlist area. Is this the area you meant? Are there any user-created Jazz User Track Training templates posted elsewhere?

#431430 - 09/27/17 02:47 PM [UserTracks (and other add-ons)] Re: Does a contemporary jazz soloist template exist? [Re: MarkAlan]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

You just need someone with a good ear to load each track from a realtrack jazz instrument into RealBand or Biab then chord each one out and save them as Jazz UserTrack Templates.

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
Tutorials - How to Install Your Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Hard Drive

When you have your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac UltraPAK shipped to you on a portable hard drive, there are a few different options for installation. We go over these 3 options with our latest video series:

Option 1: Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to view.

Option 2: Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks & RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to view.

Option 3: Install Band-in-a-Box® and the RealTracks & RealDrums on your computer hard drive: click here to view.

Check out all our Band-in-a-Box for Mac videos here.

Video - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets for Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Have you purchased your Band-in-a-Box® package, and want to make sure you're downloading and installing the RealTracks Sets correctly?

Well, we've created just the tutorial video you're looking for! Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets.

Video link:
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=QndXu8H_IwM

Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - Mac Power Users Discussion

David Sparks and Katie Floyd discuss a variety of topics in their recent episide of Mac Power Users: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/432 - listen all the way through (and laugh along with them - it was a very entertaining episode!), or jump to 1:37:40 where David shares his thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

Thank you David and Katie!

Polish New Features Video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Our Polish Distributor, Sound Station, has finished their Band-in-a-Box 2018 New Features summary video (in Polish!) - click here to watch.

We hope all our Polish Band-in-a-Box users find this video helpful - thank you Sound Station!

YouTube Find - Love it (with Band-in-a-Box 2018)

YouTube channel EmtpyHallToones uploaded a video of their guitar performance using Band-in-a-Box backing tracks!

Click here to watch.

Get to Know the 202 NEW RealTracks Released with Band-in-a-Box® 2018!

We released 202 NEW RealTracks with Band-in-a-Box® 2018! Learn more about these new RealTracks when you watch our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - 202 NEW RealTracks.

These new RealTracks (in Sets 278-300) are included in every Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - the Mac packages are on sale until June 30th!

Learn even more about the new RealTracks and listen to demos here.

Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks Tutorial Video for Mac

With Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac®, we've introduced Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks. This video shows you the different ways you can use these versatile new RealTracks.

Video link: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=zkO-AtAPv4g

You can also listen to demos of RealTracks Set 278: Shiny Vocal Oohs & Aahs here.

This RealTracks Set is available for just $29, and is also included in RealPAK 14: Country, and the Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK, Audiophile, or 2018 PlusPAK Upgrade.

Forum Stats
27617 Members
50 Forums
52232 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
donbaxter, Jose-Luis-NZ, Cipher, BillyP, fleahead

27616 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 197
Noel96 173